The sales pitch: how would you convince prospective signings to come here and want to be here?

Tap

I really hate to say this as I remember when most of the top players wanted to join United but we have fallen so much from that time period that the way to pitch to the players why they should join may not be aligned with what the fans want. Anyway I would say :

• Opportunity to join the rebuild to bring United back to the top
  • Chance to work with one of the top managers in world football
  • Higher salary than they would likely receive from almost any other club
  • Huge marketing opportunity for the players to grow their brand
I really don't like the points in bold but I really think we have to be realistic and this will play a huge part in players joining
Yes especially the bolded points. Not much club can offer now except for sky high salaries and brand/social media promotion.

This is bad though. We will get locked into a negative cycle of signing the spice boy type of players which then reinforces the current substandard culture and mediocre on-field performances and results.

lsd

The Oracle
Ok you won't win anything with us, chances are you don't play in the Champions League.

Manchester is always wet and cold and London has far better schools and attractions for your partner and family

However we will pay you twice as much as anyone else and give you a contract twice as long as anyone else.

You can also keep all your own advertising rights and if you are injured feel free to go abroad wherever you want and take three months longer to recover than at any other club.

meamth

"I promise you we won't quote Redcafe player performances thread during post mortem meetings."

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Won't the promise of higher wages drastically upset the existing wage structure of the club, leading to more unsettled players? Thought we've learnt this lesson before

Shouldn't we be appealing to their desire to want to be at a club that is refreshed and ready to experience its next peak in coming seasons

Yakuza_devils

We should be going for young and hungry players as what Rangnick said. We need players willing to give everything on and off the field to play for Man Utd.
We don't need to convince these players, they would give everything to play for us.

We have enough of big egos in the team and marque signings that didn't work for us the last decade. Time to do things differently instead of still going for superstars like FDJ, Ronaldo, Varane, and the likes?

Crashoutcassius

We signed varane Ronaldo and Sancho last year. RR made the club fairly toxic for a couple of months but he is gone and the future is bright. The only real dampener on the club is Fing greenwood.

I can understand DeJong holding out to see if city are interested cos it is a cheat code to win titles. And same with PSG for other players, win titles and do nearly nothing. But I don't think Chelsea spurs arsenal or even Liverpool are going to out compete us for many players this summer. We will get most of the targets we want, and probably pay them similar to what Chelsea or PSG would have to... Less than city Madrid or Liverpool might have to, because they are good.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
The honest answers is this is gonna take time. Players have seen the mess this club has been in, seen the amount of players who have come here and stagnated or regressed. Probably heard rumors of a toxic atmosphere in the dressing room. We have to start showing that we have learnt from this and are making the corrections. That's not something we can do this summer its gonna take time.

This summer its about spelling out our vision to prospective players, and if they buy into it then great, if they don't we move on. Signing no one this summer and the coach spending next year proving that this is now a club that can improve players, would be a far better in the long run then spending 100 million on players who arn't sure they want to be here, but we have offered them to much cash to turn down.

Tommy79

I am old enough to remember a time when Manchester United was an absolute destination for top talent. Players wanted to come and the prestige of the badge and assurance of silverware were often more than enough attract them from both home and abroad. No, we weren't always successful in our pursuits, but we were more successful than not.
Wow what a post, as you really cover yourself well at the end there. As you most likely knew someone would come along and stated how if your opening statement was true, so why did shearer turned us down twice, gazza, EVS turned us down after we just won a bloody treble, Blanc refused us twice mid to late 90s and only came for a final big last pay day and it goes on.

You're right about been successful to a degree, but lets not kid ourselves here, as the local talent from late 88 till early 90s was not due to us be this or that, it was the same reason Robson chose us over a liverpool side cleaning up home and aboard, money, be it transfers or wages.

wolvored

I really hate to say this as I remember when most of the top players wanted to join United but we have fallen so much from that time period that the way to pitch to the players why they should join may not be aligned with what the fans want. Anyway I would say :

• Opportunity to join the rebuild to bring United back to the top
  • Chance to work with one of the top managers in world football
  • Higher salary than they would likely receive from almost any other club
  • Huge marketing opportunity for the players to grow their brand
I really don't like the points in bold but I really think we have to be realistic and this will play a huge part in players joining
Add awaken the sleeping giant to the list and you got it.

DeGea’sFeet

why look good once a week, when you can look good 5 days a week in training playing against Maguire.

Trex

We're still a top destination for 98% of footballers, we just need to find the ones who are worth signing.
It is that we often go for that 2% who are already at big clubs (De jong) or are the flavor of the month (Nunez).
Finding the needle out of the haystack is what Liverpool did and they became successful because they knew the exact profile they were going for, I hope a signing like De Jong doesn't become the norm for ETH, at least in this scenario tactical reasons were fully considered.
He'll need to start finding cheaper signings who suit his ideas and would be jumping at the bits to play for him if we wants to build a successful army.

Lemon Moon

No sales pitch needed, if a footballer isn't attracted to playing for Manchester United Football Club then they are not the type of player we need moving forward.

Forget it.

Thistlesoup

It's really not that hard.

Some fans think they're being realists by saying, "We're not the main destination anymore" etc.

The reality is that PSG, Man City and Real Madrid aren't the only clubs that manage to sign players that improve their teams.

Every other club also buys players and some do it exceedingly well.

Villa and Tottenham have done great business in this window, for example.

We fail because the club is incompetent at every level.