The Saudi Takeover Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordi

Do we know who this guy actually is? I'm seeing a few people on social media say that he isn't part of the Royal Family.

Oil money or whats the deal?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'd rather us not win another league title for next 10 years than get taken over by those lot.

We shouldn't even be taking their cash for minor deals as it is. We shouldn't be associated ourselves with such oppressive regimes when we don't really need to. City have no choice. The sheikh is everything to the club. We can stand on our feet.

Reactions: SteveJ

Shez

I'd rather us not win another league title for next 10 years than get taken over by those lot.

We shouldn't even be taking their cash for minor deals as it is. We shouldn't be associated ourselves with such oppressive regimes when we don't really need to. City have no choice. The sheikh is everything to the club. We can stand on our feet.
Amen

kidbob

The fact that Glazer is there makes this seem ominous. Do they normally do this stuff personally? I'd assume sponsorships and the likes are handled by different personnel.

JMack1234

I'm be buying us if I was a Saudi prince no doubt about it.

Look at City. They've just been caught with their pants around their ankles and yeah they've got a bit of criticism, but not much. A few pages in the Guardian. Maybe 10 mins on your favourite hipster podcast. Then they went and smashed us up, made Mourinho look a mug and all has pretty much been forgotten. The people who actually matter (UEFA and the Prem) will do absolutely nothing. The heat they get is water off a ducks back because football journalism is one of the hapless industries you can ever encounter and the consumers (or fans as they are occasionally referred to) don't care if their club buys the best players and wins.

Contrast this to what you gain..the ability to market your country and your brand to a global audience. Football is 2nd most popular form of entertainment in the world beaten only by sex (probably).

I'm in no doubt that if the Saudis bought us watching Man Utd would be much more fun. We'd buy the best players. Get the very best people in behind the scenes. Maybe give Old Trafford a lick of paint. Who knows? Maybe they'll thrown in a few goodies like lowering ticket prices because after all this will all be about publicity.

The question we have to decide is..would it be worth it?

SirAF

Ageist
Relax, Richard Arnold is present. As someone else said, it probably has something to do with either existing or new sponsorships.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands

You should be promoted on the spot for that. No way should this happen even as bad as the owners are.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Relax, Richard Arnold is present. As someone else said, it probably has something to do with either existing or new sponsorships.
You better find more comforting words. Please. :(

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
As much as i'd hate it due to the things going on over there I would be happy for it to happen due to us actually being able to spend money and buy quality for a change instead of having a bunch of leeches and useless twats in charge.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
I'll get a lot of stick for this comment, but if this were Liverpool, I'd be jumping for joy, despite having good owners already.

It's oil money, it's tainted, it comes at the cost of lives, etc... Well, so does pretty much every luxury item you own. Your clothes are made in sweatshops, your electronics are manufactured in a place where suicide nets are put up in place of improvements to basic living standards... Why the selective conscience on this? Or is it just the idea of having to listen to City fans lambast you for what you've given them stick over for the past decade?

You're already owned by foreigners anyway, so it's not like you're losing much there in terms of sticking to the core of who you are. I'd take the better football over any sort of moral high ground, as I already gave up that high ground with the stuff I own anyway.
Spot on. I want this to happen because the Glazer's are sometimes reluctant to make funds available.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Look at City. They've just been caught with their pants around their ankles and yeah they've got a bit of criticism, but not much. A few pages in the Guardian. Maybe 10 mins on your favourite hipster podcast. Then they went and smashed us up, made Mourinho look a mug and all has pretty much been forgotten. The people who actually matter (UEFA and the Prem) will do absolutely nothing. The heat they get is water off a ducks back because football journalism is one of the hapless industries you can ever encounter and the consumers (or fans as they are occasionally referred to) don't care if their club buys the best players and wins.

Contrast this to what you gain..the ability to market your country and your brand to a global audience. Football is 2nd most popular form of entertainment in the world beaten only by sex (probably).

I'm in no doubt that if the Saudis bought us watching Man Utd would be much more fun. We'd buy the best players. Get the very best people in behind the scenes. Maybe give Old Trafford a lick of paint. Who knows? Maybe they'll thrown in a few goodies like lowering ticket prices because after all this will all be about publicity.

To have our club used as an image laundering tool for an evil regime? No.

Any success that came directly from their funding would be false. Plastic. Tainted. Illegitimate.

BlueHaze

Well first of all I think this whole Saudi takeover story is rubbish but yeah they would invest money which we have never seen the likes of at this club. Thing is you couldn't trust them to walk your dog in the park. Imagine 3 months into their takeover they would want to change our crest because we have a devil on it, yes things like that should be fully expected if they ever will take over. Also thing about us at the moment is we make crazy amounts of money coming in from fans worldwide and should the Saudis take over that source of income will take a big hit as I could definitely see a lot of old school fans bailing.

el3mel

If they're willing to spend like City owners, I honestly won't care much except for that I'll have to delete all my posts that mocked City. I hate Saudi regime with passion, in fact I struggle to find anyone that like them, even Arabs have problems with them, but Glazers aren't really saints anyway and I only care about the football side of the club. It's no use having the most pure individual leading the club if he's unwilling to spend (don't mean the Glazers with this but just an example).

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It they were our owners I wonder if Jose would be as quick to slate them in public
Jose woudn't have reason to slate them. They would give Jose the biggest transfer kitty in the history of the game..

CA1

If they're willing to spend like City owners, I honestly won't care much except for that I'll have to delete all my posts that mocked City. I hate Saudi regime with passion, in fact I struggle to find anyone that like them, even Arabs have problems with them, but Glazers aren't really saints anyway and I only care about the football side of the club. It's no use having the most pure individual leading the club if he's unwilling to spend (don't mean the Glazers with this but just an example).
You may get your wish really because the rumour is they're not taking over but going to put sizeable investment in.

Vadim

Glazers funded Trump didn’t they?

That’s it, I’m not supporting Utd anymore until they’ve gone.

See how silly this sounds? No one will actually stop supporting Utd if it happened anyway, which it won’t. We’re stuck with the Glazers, Phil Jones and defensive football for another few years I reckon.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Did they have the body double ready?

Tasteless I know. feck the Saudi's. Don't care if they'd get us Messi, don't want them.

SirAF

Ageist

That’s it, I’m not supporting Utd anymore until they’ve gone.

See how silly this sounds? No one will actually stop supporting Utd if it happened anyway, which it won’t. We’re stuck with the Glazers, Phil Jones and defensive football for another few years I reckon.
They donated to both the Trump and Clinton campaign to hedge their bet - pretty common.

But yeah :p

Last edited:

Mainoldo

Buy the club. Clear the debt. Give it to Redcafe. Everybody happy then?? No?

Vadim

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/manchester-united-agree-strategic-partnership-in-saudi-arabia

It will be to do with this. Stop looking for excitement just because we don’t get any from watching us play.
October 2017. Why would the Glazers keep flying over there to meet when this happened over a year ago?

There’s too much smoke to be no fire with this now. So many different sources are saying that the Saudis want to invest in Utd.

Matter of when and not if I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.