The search for a left back...

Hammer_st

If we go for a left back Malang Sarr looks great and wouldnt cost too much.

JohnnyLaw

What kind of players are they? I'm a bit old fashioned but I do like a quite well-rounded full back, I'm convinced that full backs can still be good at attacking and defending.
To be honest I wouldn’t be able to say, I’m mostly an avid googler these days.

@André Dominguez help me out?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
We can make do till the Summer. But we should seriously consider ditching Shaw who like Jones cannot stay fit. Doesn't really matter how good a player is if they struggle to remain fit for even a third of the season. We need someone whos reliable.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
@JohnnyLaw
@AltiUn

Grimaldo was a promising player, and he is actually a good left back when he plays (a bit better on the attacking part, though), but unfortunately he spends a lot of time on the physio room and that hampered his development. Sometimes he leaves his back overexposed and creates some troubles to his teammates.

Alex Telles is a no-brainer for me: he is not a world class full back in terms of be an outstanding player, but then again modern full backs are very difficult to find on the market. But he is very well rounded, aggressive and he is one of the most influential Porto's (if not the most) either on the defensive stats and attacking. Not only a large majority of the goals have his contribution, his crossing, passing and set-pieces taking are very accurate.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Nico Tagliafico is 27 and has been performing at the very top level for Ajax, should be an obvious candidate.

Marcel Halstenberg is 28 and plays for Leipzig in Gemany and is defensively very good and excellent in attack. Also very strong in the air and would be a very astute signing.
I just watched Tagliafico at the ground on Friday. Maybe he just had a bad game but he looked well out of place in that Ajax team.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Happy with the current setup of Williams and Shaw with Young coming in when both are unavailable. Hoping that Williams is first choice LB by the end of the season though.
Williams has a fair amount to learn before he nails that LB position. He shows a lot of the right qualities though but defensively he needs the experience. I don't see him as first choice for a good season or so

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Theo Hernández is only young and still a bit inconsistent, but might be worth a follow — suspect Milan won't be able to retain him for too long if he sustains the level he's shown for them. Highly rated at Atlético but then joined Madrid in an ill-conceived career move to be the backup to Marcelo at best. Same age profile as Wan-Bissaka, and has all the tools to emerge as a top leftback for the long haul: capable in attack (which is a must for fullbacks in the contemporary game), active for 90 minutes, and could be a robust defender with more game-time and better coaching. Boasts a decent fitness record, too (out for 8 games in the last 2-3 years according to transfermarkt):

And yeah, leftback should be a priority — more so than even a new right wing signing because James is at least giving a better projection than the trio of Shaw (too injury prone and performances while fit aren't exactly top class), Young (nearing retirement), Williams (decent talent but a bit too young). Luckily there should be a lot of options if we choose to dip or toes in the mercato: Tagliafico (not in the best form right now) and Telles (good but not super exciting) if United want to sign experienced players, Grimaldo if we need a playmaking leftback (though there have been some question marks wrt. his durability), Chilwell would be ace but can we really afford to spend Maguire-esque money on another Leicester player, or even Digne from Everton. Usually I'd favor someone with the age profile of Nuno Tavares, but we already have Williams in that age-bracket...

P.S. Sightly off topic as this is a leftback thread but we should follow Yan Couto (Coritiba and Brazil U-17) for the rightback position, too — could be a special player in the years to come.

Zlatattack

Telles has consistently been performing well as an attacking LB. His contract at Porto is running down. Might be worth a shot.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I think we could be okay for this season and next at left back. I would prioritise a striker, right winger and two midfielders.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Theo Hernández is only young and still a bit inconsistent, but might be worth a follow — suspect Milan won't be able to retain him for too long if he sustains the level he's shown for them. Highly rated at Atlético but then joined Madrid in an ill-conceived career move to be the backup to Marcelo at best. Same age profile as Wan-Bissaka, and has all the tools to emerge as a top leftback for the long haul: capable in attack (which is a must for fullbacks in the contemporary game), active for 90 minutes, and could be a robust defender with more game-time and better coaching. Boasts a decent fitness record, too (out for 8 games in the last 2-3 years according to transfermarkt):

And yeah, leftback should be a priority — more so than even a new right wing signing because James is at least giving a better projection than the trio of Shaw (too injury prone and performances while fit aren't exactly top class), Young (nearing retirement), Williams (decent talent but a bit too young). Luckily there should be a lot of options if we choose to dip or toes in the mercato: Tagliafico (not in the best form right now) and Telles (good but not super exciting) if United want to sign experienced players, Grimaldo if we need a playmaking leftback (though there have been some question marks wrt. his durability), Chilwell would be ace but can we really afford to spend Maguire-esque money on another Leicester player, or even Digne from Everton. Usually I'd favor someone with the age profile of Nuno Tavares, but we already have Williams in that age-bracket...

P.S. Sightly off topic but this is a leftback thread but we should follow Yan Couto (Coritiba and Brazil U-17) for the rightback position, too — could be a special player in the years to come.
I like Theo Hernandez too. I first saw him along with Aschraf Hakimi when Real’s B-team ran us ragged in pre-season a few years back and both of them thoroughly impressed me that day. Hakimi too is a wonderful talent and can play both sides, although I’d like a left-footer who can provide consistent quality service on the left.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Good athlete. Fast, excellent passing and strength on the ball. Good shot. Perhaps its the system Nice play but his stats show he doesn't really get forward much; so we can't really judge him on his attacking. Yet he looks very good. A bit of a beast - like a left-sided Valencia. Still only 20 so he could develop into the player Rozay asked for. At this stage, should United go for a very good, but unfinished prospect?

His contract runs to June 2021. Might be bargain for up to £20m but only if he develops his attacking game. Nor is his defensive game perfect yet. Definitely worth a detailed scout.
Think that will always depend on the market. I mean, you always want someone who can come straight in, but if a talent is exceptional, sometimes you prioritise a 19 year old.

For me, we need someone to come in right away. This should be Shaw and Young’s last season for me. We can see how Williams does as understudy, but I’m not sure he’s a top bracket talent just yet. Dalot can also cover both sides in the meantime too. But we need a first choice left back. I think all things considered, Alex Telles makes the most sense, although Grimaldo excites me the most, although he’s not that robust I think.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
It is really beyond me that United doesnt just blindly pay 35 million euros for Nico Tagliafico from Ajax. Relatively cheap and would be a fan favourite for the next 5 years...

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I like Theo Hernandez too. I first saw him along with Aschraf Hakimi when Real’s B-team ran us ragged in pre-season a few years back and both of them thoroughly impressed me that day. Hakimi too is a wonderful talent and can play both sides, although I’d like a left-footer who can provide consistent quality service on the left.
Will sound rather small-time but we should be pragmatic and always keep an eye on Madrid's fringe players and the Cantera at large, maybe even allocate a full-time scout/analyst to study potential bargains. Like Barcelona in the years gone by, they almost always have players that have the wherewithal to make an impact at other clubs, and could be signed on loan (or even permanently if the timing is right): Fabinho, Carvajal, Kovacić, Hakimi, Theo, Ødegaard, even Valverde before he cemented his spot in the first team, etc. No shame in searching high and low for players that could improve the squad (or the starting XI if all goes well) — not all of them would be realistic targets and some might not pan out, like Morata at Chelsea or Jesé at Paris Saint-Germain, but others could be astute acquisitions.

Hawks2008

As others have said Tagliafico or Telles are both pretty good LB's and represent an improvement on Shaw. We have more pressing needs to fill in midfield and up front but if the opportunity to sign someone like them at a good price arises then we should take it.

Mark Pawelek

Think that will always depend on the market. I mean, you always want someone who can come straight in, but if a talent is exceptional, sometimes you prioritise a 19 year old.

For me, we need someone to come in right away. This should be Shaw and Young’s last season for me. We can see how Williams does as understudy, but I’m not sure he’s a top bracket talent just yet. Dalot can also cover both sides in the meantime too. But we need a first choice left back. I think all things considered, Alex Telles makes the most sense, although Grimaldo excites me the most, although he’s not that robust I think.
I actually watched the wrong clip. Sorry. I watching another player called Sarr who plays as a winger. So no wonder he looked good going forward. On a more positive note what about Owen Wijndal at AZ Alkmaar. Still only 19. Looks like he has everything to make an excellent left back.

future2future

Tagliafico is the guy: In his prime age wise, experienced enough in CL and with Argentina, is fast, can score a goal but also isn't afraid to really tackle and is a fighter, in the good sense.

Mark Pawelek

As others have said Tagliafico or Telles are both pretty good LB's and represent an improvement on Shaw. We have more pressing needs to fill in midfield and up front but if the opportunity to sign someone like them at a good price arises then we should take it.
Got to agree. Priorities. We need better squad depth and experienced players who will lead and stay for a few years. Not just any old experienced players.
  1. defensive midfielder who will fill in if either attacking winger is out of position during a counter
  2. striker so we're not so dependent on Martial staying fit and playing every match.
  3. creative attacking midfielder because Mata looks done; AP and Lingard don't offer enough of an attacking threat.
Must get 1, 2, 3 fixed first. So a new left full-back would be somewhere like 4th or 5th position to fix?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Will sound rather small-time but we should be pragmatic and always keep an eye on Madrid's fringe players and the Cantera at large, maybe even allocate a full-time scout/analyst to study potential bargains. Like Barcelona in the years gone by, they almost always have players that have the wherewithal to make an impact at other clubs, and could be signed on loan (or even permanently if the timing is right): Fabinho, Carvajal, Kovacić, Hakimi, Theo, Ødegaard, even Valverde before he cemented his spot in the first team, etc. No shame in searching high and low for players that could improve the squad (or the starting XI if all goes well) — not all of them would be realistic targets and some might not pan out, like Morata at Chelsea or Jesé at Paris Saint-Germain, but others could be astute acquisitions.
Not small time at all, big clubs are always trying to nick top talent from each other’s academies tbh. Real, Barca, Bayern, Juve - they are always sniffing around English clubs for promising kids.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Got to agree. Priorities. We need better squad depth and experienced players who will lead and stay for a few years. Not just any old experienced players.
  1. defensive midfielder who will fill in if either attacking winger is out of position during a counter
  2. striker so we're not so dependent on Martial staying fit and playing every match.
  3. creative attacking midfielder because Mata looks done; AP and Lingard don't offer enough of an attacking threat.
Must get 1, 2, 3 fixed first. So a new left full-back would be somewhere like 4th or 5th position to fix?
These are all depth requirements though, left back is the weakest area of our first XI. Yes, Mata is rubbish and Lingard is average, but Pogba is top class. The defensive midfielder who covers the full backs (who can’t attack anyway) is exactly what Fred does every game. And a striker to cover for Martial is needed, but at least we have Martial. We have top class players in these roles, just poor cover. We have rubbish left-backs.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
At this stage you're not even sure if Brandon Williams is another Cameron Borthwick Jackson and Luke Shaw is nailed on to miss half a season. Dalot is another sick note. If you can find a serviceable player around 25M you'd be forced to make that purchase.

jb8521

I've only seen him play a couple of times so I'm not too sure of his general level but Vitaliy Mykolenko has looked a good prospect when I've seen him

Welbeckham

What we need is someone who is already good enough. Brandon Williams has impressed much more defensively and offensively than Dalot, which is worrying for the latter considering he’s older and can’t stay for for two months. Both Dalot and Williams are very raw, but Williams actually has shown much better agression and attitude, while also looking like the more comfortable footballer with both his feet and brain.

Then again, both of the previously mentioned youngsters are right-footed. Williams looks quite comfortable on the left side, but we could do with a left-footed more experienced option. The only left-footed options we currently have are Luke Shaw and Marcos Rojo. Neither of them has the ability to stay fit, let alone perform consistently in the required level.

Signing someone like Tagliafico or Telles (or Chilwell obviously) would make too much sense. Getting in someone who offers a genuine attacking threat to combine with Rashford sounds really great, at least on paper.

Andersonson

Mentioned it in the ’3 realistic signings’-thread but both Grimaldo and Alex Telles are entering their last years of their respective contracts in the summer.
None of then are any netter than Shaw though. Waste of money going for any of those two

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
For me it really depends on what Shaw, Williams, Dalot and Laird shows us this season. If they all stay injury free it just takes one of them to develop enough to replace Young as the squad option, and one of them to establish themselves (Shaw). I think we have the right numbers, but I'm open to replace Shaw if he doesn't get a grip on himself and plays the rest of the season on his top level. Not a lot of patience left for him at this point.

It would be nice to have a really quick LB next to Maguire, or someone with a bit of experience. I have no idea who but if we could get someone like Zabaleta at 27 it would be nice.

RedIan

A fully fit Shaw is a great LFB. Williams Looks a great prospect and Young is a good back up and a far better player than the haters have you believe. Its well down on the list of priorities. Midfield midfield and midfield (replace Fellani, Herrera and Matic) then a striker to replace Lukaku is top priority

sherrinford

When Pogba returns, he is a far better attacking midfielder than those pretenders we have are left backs. And Lindelöf is better than them too.
I think there’s a question mark over where Pogba would play though - he wasn’t playing in the no.10 role before his injury and it’s far from guaranteed that’s where he will be deployed when he returns.

Lindelof isn’t better than Shaw. I don’t think he’s one of the two best centre backs at the club either. He’s usually available for selection though - got to give him that.

Mark Pawelek

At this stage you're not even sure if Brandon Williams is another Cameron Borthwick Jackson and Luke Shaw is nailed on to miss half a season. Dalot is another sick note. If you can find a serviceable player around 25M you'd be forced to make that purchase.
Cameron Borthwick Jackson is, arguably, the best defensive left back out of all of them.

Mark Pawelek

Maybe we need to hire the coach to coached AWB's transition from winger to fullback. Then find a young winger with excellent attacking skills?

flappyjay

Priorities. 2 cm's to compete with Fred and mctominay, an AM to compete with Pogba/ a couple if he leaves and a back up striker are priority.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Priorities. 2 cm's to compete with Fred and mctominay, an AM to compete with Pogba/ a couple if he leaves and a back up striker are priority.
And a left back. You have just decided to list every other need the squad has, so why not include LB, which is also a need? They are all needs. I don’t deny that we need what you say we need, but Young will go, and Williams and Shaw isn’t ideal at all. Shaw isn’t that good, and can’t stay fit, and Williams isn’t that good yet either.

Ed9

How is Tierney doing in Arsenal? Many wanted him here.

flappyjay

And a left back. You have just decided to list every other need the squad has, so why not include LB, which is also a need? They are all needs. I don’t deny that we need what you say we need, but Young will go, and Williams and Shaw isn’t ideal at all. Shaw isn’t that good, and can’t stay fit, and Williams isn’t that good yet either.
You can't compare the drop off in quality at all. The left backs are all average but the drop off in quality from our stating midfielders to the back ups is huge. If James gets injured we are back to mata/lingard at rw, that's a concern. If mctominay or Fred gets injured then it's back to pareira in the middle again. We also saw how much we struggled with goals without a proper striker when Martial was out. Shaw has been out since August and you wouldn't say LB had a glaring hole during that period.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You can't compare the drop off in quality at all. The left backs are all average but the drop off in quality from our stating midfielders to the back ups is huge. If James gets injured we are back to mata/lingard at rw, that's a concern. If mctominay or Fred gets injured then it's back to pareira in the middle again. We also saw how much we struggled with goals without a proper striker when Martial was out. Shaw has been out since August and you wouldn't say LB had a glaring hole during that period.
That’s true. I just mean that if nobody was injured, LB is the weakest area in the team.

Ollie Derbyshire

Improving the bench is more of a priority than LB in my opinion. We need more quality than what we can call upon at the moment. The first 11 picks itself, albeit with Lingard at 10, Pogba should get that role when fully fit.

That leaves us with Lingard, Pereria, Mata, Matic and Greenwood on the bench. That’s not good enough to cover for the inevitable injuries we will pick up. Upgrade the likes of Mata, Matic, Pereria first and bring in another striker to supplement Martial and Greenwood.