The search for a left back...

PoTMS

The SCP President (Varandas) just last week stated that he'd been approached by some very big clubs with concrete proposals for the young LB who he describes as the best u19 LB in Europe. Portuguese newspaper Record are adamant that one of the clubs interested is United and are currently in discussions with SCP. The players agent is the same chap who represents Bruno and is also Bruno's brother in-law.
Wasn't the same said about Dalot? Porto sold him and Ricardo Pereira within a few weeks for roughly the same amount of €20m. Leicester got the much better deal.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Thanks for sharing that.

Do you think Varandas will try and cash in on Nuno Mendes? There's quotes attributed to Varandas, where he says that there is some concrete proposals for the young LB and Record is quite adamant that one of those clubs is United.
Well to put it bluntly, He is a dumbass so it would not be surprising if he did.

It would be the wrong move for Nuno at this point. He is only 17, he should stay at Sporting until he is 21 to properly develop and get a lot of playing time.

SportingCP96

Supports
Wasn't the same said about Dalot? Porto sold him and Ricardo Pereira within a few weeks for roughly the same amount of €20m. Leicester got the much better deal.
Same scenario, Dalot was not ready, he needed to develop more before making such a jump and the same is with Nuno. He needs to play before even seeing a move like this.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Dalot was considered a very big talent in European football circles and we beat off a number of clubs to his signature due to Mourinho and his independent scouts giving us the edge. Sadly it hasn't quite happened for him yet but I'm hopeful he can show his ability on a consistent basis next season.

Ace of Spades

Same scenario, Dalot was not ready, he needed to develop more before making such a jump and the same is with Nuno. He needs to play before even seeing a move like this.
He was not signed for the academy though, he went in to first team straight away. And as for playing time, that is the more a problem with injuries than him not getting a chance. Ever since his transfer he has been injured mostly, and unavailable for selection.

Mylock

We don't need a new left-back, Williams and Shaw have improved steadily throughout the season. Then we have Laird, Dalot and also Devine coming through from the youth team who looks a good prospect. With rashford on the left and either shaw or Williams backing him up, we'll improve significantly next season. Having Bruno & hopefully pogba we have more quality going forward. Wan Bisaka has got better attacking wise as the season progresses, things are looking up, if we can buy one or two quality signings like Sancho we'll improve greatly. If pogba stays stays our midfield will be up there with the best. If Pogba leaves we'll go after Grealish, it's going to be a interesting few months.

Bondi77

I like him a lot actually, He was a part of the pre season team last summer and was very impressive IM. In fact we have two pretty talented defenders coming through In Nuno Mendes and a center back by the name of Eduardo Quaresma.

Next season we will have a very young team with 7 youngsters being promoted to the first team.

Youngsters that will have a part in the team include

- Nuno Mendes (left back)
- Eduardo Quaresma (CB)
- Gonzalo Plata ( RW/LW)
- Rafael Camacho (RW/LW)
- Matheus Nunes (CM) * I really like this kid
- Joelson Fernandes (RW/LW) * Probably the most talented
- Luis Maximiano (GK) * Turned starter this season

* Of the players mentioned though these are the ones with the highest ceiling from what I have seen

*** Joelson Fernandes
*** Nuno Mendes
*** Matheus Nunes or Quaresma
How did you rate Dalot when he was at Porto and do you think he has what it takes to succeed at Utd?
Was Jose badly wrong when he said he was the best young RB in Europe?

NYAS

Dalot was considered a very big talent in European football circles and we beat off a number of clubs to his signature due to Mourinho and his independent scouts giving us the edge. Sadly it hasn't quite happened for him yet but I'm hopeful he can show his ability on a consistent basis next season.
Yep. I would say it’s very weird how the caf has just decided he “hasn’t worked out” and suddenly Dalot is a dud, but I shouldn’t be surprised.

-Supreme-

Yep. I would say it’s very weird how the caf has just decided he “hasn’t worked out” and suddenly Dalot is a dud, but I shouldn’t be surprised.
If Dalot has what it takes to succeed Ole wouldn't have spent £50m on AWB who is only a year older

United58

Unfortunately I can't see it happening for Dalot here due to AWB and injuries - he's had so many fitness issues, it's a real issue with a lot of our players

Mr. Christian

Has Brandon Williams not been really exciting going forwards? Is he not worth the development. And when fit, Shaw has been really good. No real end product, but he motors down that left flank all game.

I really don’t see left back as being a huge problem, but I can see the argument for upgrading Shaw. If we were buying one, I’d want the finished article. Not a young one needing development. We have Williams for that.
Perfectly put. Say no more!

SportingCP96

Supports
How did you rate Dalot when he was at Porto and do you think he has what it takes to succeed at Utd?
Was Jose badly wrong when he said he was the best young RB in Europe?
To be quite honest I think he is talented but I think it really depends on how he develops. I think he can be a solid player just as much as I think he can be a "bust".

I think United should of done a buy to loan option and sent him back to Porto to Develop more before going to United.

SportingCP96

Supports
He was not signed for the academy though, he went in to first team straight away. And as for playing time, that is the more a problem with injuries than him not getting a chance. Ever since his transfer he has been injured mostly, and unavailable for selection.
I know he was not bought for the academy but starting in Porto and starting at Manchester United are two very different things and he hardly was a starter at Porto at that time.

meamth

If Dalot has what it takes to succeed Ole wouldn't have spent £50m on AWB who is only a year older
Different players, different growth trajectory.

We can't rely on Dalot now, fine. Maybe next season or two.

That's why he is still here, for the long term.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
My bet is This lad is being bought for the academy but with a Hannibal level investment. He’ll be assured he will be blooded into the first team over the next few years and probably without a loan. Too young to play much now but assured a clearer path than most prospects. He won’t be moving Shaw or Williams next season either way. I’ve a feeling Dalot will also stay and try and get a run of games when he’s fit and if it doesn’t work out I can see him leaving next summer.

-Supreme-

Different players, different growth trajectory.

We can't rely on Dalot now, fine. Maybe next season or two.

That's why he is still here, for the long term.
If we bring in a new LB then Dalot to me is surplus to requirements as Williams is already on a similar level who can also cover for both sides of the pitch.

Resch

Alaba would be the perfect signing. He is able to play LB, LW, CM, DM, CB. Not too many players around who could cover so many positions. Alaba always dreamed of pklaying as a CM, now he is playing CB at Bayern and he was thinking about a new competition some months ago (Real Madrid??), maybe we could turn his head now?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Alaba would be the perfect signing. He is able to play LB, LW, CM, DM, CB. Not too many players around who could cover so many positions. Alaba always dreamed of pklaying as a CM, now he is playing CB at Bayern and he was thinking about a new competition some months ago (Real Madrid??), maybe we could turn his head now?
I think he’d be too expensive, although he’s a world class player who can play multiple positions.

I’d be moving for Saka personally. I’ve always felt he reminds me of Alaba both as a player and aesthetically.

Skills

Snitch
PSG are about to sign Alex Telles.

Bernat has a year left on his contract so there's a good chance he'll be available. He'd be a quality signing, really good player and offers something different to our full back options. Allows Williams to cover RB too then.

Last edited:

kode

Bernat wont leave even with Telles coming in, Telles is coming to replace Kurzawa in term of numbers.

Brightonian

I've not previously been the biggest fan of Shaw but since Wan bissaka has come and been a great defensive fullback with 'adequate' attacking ability - I'm kind of okay with keeping Shaw as our main LB since he's quite the defensive fullback too.

I dont want to get a super attacking left back on the left hand side and on the right hand side AWB is permanently holding his space in a world class way all the time but making our defence seem lopsided.

I'm liking the idea of having 2 defensive fullbacks who have the ability to provide width and cross when required only - but main job is to provide Rashford and a RW (Greenwood/ Sancho) non stop attacking capabilities without having to turn their head back much.
This. Having one attacking and one defensive FB is a recipe for trouble. Teams have done it, of course, but it makes it so much harder for the CBs to run a good defensive line when one of them is having to offer so much more cover than the other.

We should build a team around our existing strengths, that's obvious. We have two of the best defensive fullbacks in the league, maybe even the best. So play them both, and let that extra defensive work give us license to play a more attacking midfield, say Fred/McTominay behind Pogba and Bruno. We already see Shaw and AWB stepping into midfield to make really useful defensive interventions, so build that into our strategy. The attacking resources you can then field in one team are just frightening.

davidmichael

We’ve got Wan-Bissaka, Dalot and Laird coming through at right back then Shaw, Williams who’s a year older and Devine coming through at left back so I don’t see why we’d need to bring in another full back unless it’s as a first choice one and we’re getting rid of Shaw.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This. Having one attacking and one defensive FB is a recipe for trouble. Teams have done it, of course, but it makes it so much harder for the CBs to run a good defensive line when one of them is having to offer so much more cover than the other.

We should build a team around our existing strengths, that's obvious. We have two of the best defensive fullbacks in the league, maybe even the best. So play them both, and let that extra defensive work give us license to play a more attacking midfield, say Fred/McTominay behind Pogba and Bruno. We already see Shaw and AWB stepping into midfield to make really useful defensive interventions, so build that into our strategy. The attacking resources you can then field in one team are just frightening.
Yeah, tactically - I kind of like the defensive fullbacks thing because it sits completely symmetrical on both sides. AWB is obviously ridiculously good at what he does but as a defensive left fullback - I'm not going to come out with many names over Shaw either.

It just kind of blocks away wingers most of the game & I actually really do like seeing that.

Our forwards all tend to prefer the ball at feet anyway, so aslong as the fullbacks can provide some width and some crosses at times - I think they can be still be useful in an attacking way.

I'd rather we focus on keeping them and improving attacking maybe by - getting a better RCB ball player that suits Maguire & a CDM pivot player that allows the likes of Pogba & Bruno Fernandes to be free (alongside a freedom for one of the ball players to get forward at a time) whilst players like Shaw, AWB & the CDM do the defensive work.

An attacking LB for me should bring in an attacking RB.

Brightonian

Yep again totally agree with the whole post @Bebestation . People are too fixated on gung-ho fullbacks just because they're currently so in vogue but if you have as creative a midfield as we will have with Pogba and Bruno then you can balance the side differently. We should always look to play to our strengths, not emulate someone else's.

An attacking LB for me should bring in an attacking RB.
And in terms of this, the signs are that we have more attacking alternatives coming through on both sides anyway: Williams on the left, and either Laird or Dalot on the right (surely between the two of them there's a first-team success story!) So if we do want a different strategic set-up, we're already incubating one.

SAFMUTD

I dont think there’s many LB available that would improve us greately, Shaw is defensively solid and poor/average on attack but how many LBs that are great on both ends are?

Saka would be my first choice he is good on the offensive side, while not really great defensively he can improve, the problem is Arsenal would ask way above his value for him. Without mentioning he has stated his preferred position is LW and he wants to end up playing there.

Other ones I can think of are Renan Lodi, Digne but both would be really expensive around 40-50M for them and not quite sure they are worth it.

An interesting option would be Alex Telles from Porto, I think we could get him for around 25-30 considering they sold Pereira for 20 to Leicester.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Malang Sarr will be available on a free transfer and can play at LB and CB. His ability on the ball is very good and he's a dynamic dribbler when deployed at LB.

I probably wouldn't have mentioned him if he wasn't available on a free. But at 21 years old he could prove to be a fantastic pick up on a free transfer.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Sarr becomes good for other teams in fm but any time I sign him he’s just average. Interesting prospect on a free but I wouldn’t put yet another player in front of Williams as he’s been really good.
Sarr is a CB than can play at LB. On a free it would be a good deal for us if we could persuade the player to join us.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think I've seen every team in the PL be linked with that lad :lol: Last I read it seemed like Inter were favourites to sign him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Nuno Mendes at 17 years old has already played a few games for the SCP first team and again tonight he was superb for them. It seems we're following him closely and Liverpool's scouts are also watching him closely as per reports from Portugal.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We could do with quality there, although a 17 year old is likely to change much in our team in the shorter term.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
After watching Shaw the last few games its immediately obvious the team needs a LB.

He can't attack, he doesn't drive at players, commit defenders... awful.

One big reason teams can defend against United is in wide areas there's nothing.

The team has not had a LB since Evra.

croadyman

After watching Shaw the last few games its immediately obvious the team needs a LB.

He can't attack, he doesn't drive at players, commit defenders... awful.

One big reason teams can defend against United is in wide areas there's nothing.

The team has not had a LB since Evra.
Totally agree with you but think this is probably fifth priority on the list behind RW, AM, CB & DM. I expect that we are going to look at the situation again next summer if he doesn't improve enough next season

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I like Shaw and hes steady at left back, his off the ball movement is improving and he makes decent runs to pick up good positions, and even his on ball usage is good, until the final third. He's good at keeping it and uses it well, but his delivery/creativity is shocking, and generally its the same for Wan Bissaka. Both work on it and improve a bit, but it is of course a limitation having 2 fullbacks who don't offer much creativity or delivery. You look at the positions they take up, the opposition almost lets them get on the ball in the final 3rd as its far more preferable to one of the others having it. Maybe unfair comparison to make, but look at the benefit Liverpool have with Alexander-Arnold and Robertson. Deadly delivery, consistently, and its so hard to contain. I think one of the 2 can be the steady, solid type with just an average level of attacking (like AWB), but the other really needs to offer the creativity. Madrid had Marcelo/Roberto Carlos, Barca has had Alba, we had Evra, who while his final ball was inconsistent, had excellent movement and link up to get there that it worked brilliantly.

Its not a priority, but I don't think we'll take the last step until we fix that.

-Supreme-

We need to sell Dalot first as currently we have too many RBs.

Williams is a RB being asked to play on the left and he along with Laird should be covering for AWB instead.

tenpoless

Nuno Mendes at 17 years old has already played a few games for the SCP first team and again tonight he was superb for them. It seems we're following him closely and Liverpool's scouts are also watching him closely as per reports from Portugal.

@SportingCP96 Do you rate him as the next Roberto Carlos?

LawCharltonBest

Enjoys watching fox porn
We need to sell Dalot first as currently we have too many RBs.

Williams is a RB being asked to play on the left and he along with Laird should be covering for AWB instead.
I’m not his boyfriend but I’m pretty sure he’s a left back being asked to play right back. He’s just a right footed LB, like Irwin

Shaw is bad isn’t he? I’m so happy United are back and I want to love everything but I look at Shaw playing and just think ‘how are you this bad?’

I don’t question his effort, he’s just nowhere near the level he should be by now. I’d genuinely say he was better as a 17 year old than he is now.

matys

Is there any realistic target on the market that would be an instant upgrade on Shaw?