The Search for a Midfielder

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Right now I suspect Matic is feigning not having an injury and Mourinho is deploying Pogba as a false six. Or, Pogba seems to think of himself as an extra man in midfield, and Matic sees himself maybe as the odd man out in defense. Either way ...

I don’t know what’s happened to Matic, he’s a different player to the one we saw in the autumn. Pogba is, unsurprisingly, exactly the same. So yes, there is a case that we are weak in midfield.
Carrying a knock Id say and needs a rest.

Hammondo

We got in Matic who is a top player. The point is that these players are more than enough to beat or at least be equals to Totenham. Jose fecked it up tactically and we can't keep blaming the players.

I am not willing to accept Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku, Martial, De Gea all suddenly simultaneously went to shit
Lukaku was always shit imo.

Alabaster Codify7

Wonder what our next problem will be once Mourinho spunks a load of money on a new midfielder.

Fullbacks, another winger.
There's a reason we haven't won a single major honour since Fergie left, mate. Our squad isn't that good.

KYcinco

I just find it funny that our fans complain about city , yet as soon as we lose its a " we need to spend ".

Buy whoever, until the football changes it be tbe same story ovee and over.

Mister_Stubbs

I tend to agree, we need someone in the Carrick mould to sit alongside Matic and Pogba in a midfield 3.. someone like Wiegl for me would be perfect. That said, I still think we need another centre back to play next to Bailey and an out and out right winger.

red_devil83

Doesn't how many fecking midfielders he signs, if he only plays 2 at a time it's pointless anyway

ovoxo

A Jorginho to replace Carrick and a Barella for the box to box role would be excellent.

Sanche7

Doesn't how many fecking midfielders he signs, if he only plays 2 at a time it's pointless anyway
Maybe he is changing his tactics. I mean he said recently that we won't be signing any more attackers, also that midfield is the area we need to strengthen. If you look at the team now, we don't have enough midfielders to play 4-3-3.Herrera has been terribly out of form, Fellaini is always injured, so is Carrick ;Mata can't play in midfield, neither can Lingard.

I think we will sign Jorginho and Vidal. Vidal is perfect for us if we can somehow motivate him and make him sober. IMHO our midfield lacks mobility, we lack a busy player like how Herrera played last year, someone who can tackle and pass.As I said before Vidal is perfect for that role, provided he can get over his personal problems

Sanche7

I tend to agree, we need someone in the Carrick mould to sit alongside Matic and Pogba in a midfield 3.. someone like Wiegl for me would be perfect. That said, I still think we need another centre back to play next to Bailey and an out and out right winger.
Two DMs could be an overkill, we could lack creativity if Pogba has a bad day.
CB only if someone Top Class is available, unfortunately I don't see any top class CBS available. We need to sell some of our CBs, Rojo, Blind even Smalling. I feel Bailly - Jones is a good partnership. Our defense looks bad because our midfield is basically a one man midfield when Pogba goes roaming.

This is from a Goal Article :

Phil Jones made errors for both Spurs goals, and while he has developed quite a reputation for diving in front of lost causes at every opportunity, he has forever been prone to fundamental errors too. In many ways the former Blackburn man is the personification of the chasm between a good defender and a great one. Good centre-backs can throw themselves in the way of the ball, but great defenders have a knack for ensuring such an action is rarely required thanks to an innate ability to read a game.

His partnership with Chris Smalling has been a source of some concern for many United fans in recent years, with both England internationals looking occasionally accomplished but regularly fallible all the same. Smalling’s form has fallen off a cliff since a hugely impressive 2015, and the second he is exposed by runners from the opposition midfield he looks panicky and uneasy.

Against opposition who have fancied their chances on the ball, United have looked vulnerable. Their poor record against teams in the top six is not down to Mourinho supposedly parking the bus, but rather down to their inability to convincingly deal with threats to their back line.

Tottenham might only have scored twice on Wednesday but they could have had far more, while Chelsea grabbed the winning goal at Stamford Bridge almost as soon as they launched a concerted period of pressure back in November. Add in the fact Arsenal were allowed to send 33 shots towards David de Gea’s goal in December and there is clearly an inherent problem for United. If anything, they need to be better at ‘parking the bus’.

Nemanja Matic’s form has been a concern in recent months following his lightning start to life at Manchester United, and with Pogba having been pushed up to provide more support to the attacking quartet in recent weeks the Serbian has only been further exposed.

Ander Herrera’s downturn has also hit United hard, robbing Mourinho of the chance to add an extra man of dynamism and substance in midfield in the long-term absence of Michael Carrick. The club skipper may be back to full fitness now, but adding another immobile holding player alongside Matic is unlikely to be the true solution the manager is looking for.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/the-...t-alexis-wont-solve/smd1rzq61wn31eou0ej59bzhl

Agree with almost everything that Article says. I feel the midfielder or midfielders we buy next year will decide how well we challenge next year because for me he will be the missing piece

Bestietom

We will most likely need 2 midfielders DM and AM. There will be games when Pogba and Matic won't play and we need cover if Fellaini and Carrick are gone. Herrera may go in summer also.

Scholsey2004

CB only if someone Top Class is available, unfortunately I don't see any top class CBS available. We need to sell some of our CBs, Rojo, Blind even Smalling. I feel Bailly - Jones is a good partnership. Our defense looks bad because our midfield is basically a one man midfield when Pogba goes roaming.

Phil Jones made errors for both Spurs goals, and while he has developed quite a reputation for diving in front of lost causes at every opportunity, he has forever been prone to fundamental errors too. In many ways the former Blackburn man is the personification of the chasm between a good defender and a great one. Good centre-backs can throw themselves in the way of the ball, but great defenders have a knack for ensuring such an action is rarely required thanks to an innate ability to read a game.

His partnership with Chris Smalling has been a source of some concern for many United fans in recent years, with both England internationals looking occasionally accomplished but regularly fallible all the same. Smalling’s form has fallen off a cliff since a hugely impressive 2015, and the second he is exposed by runners from the opposition midfield he looks panicky and uneasy.

Against opposition who have fancied their chances on the ball, United have looked vulnerable. Their poor record against teams in the top six is not down to Mourinho supposedly parking the bus, but rather down to their inability to convincingly deal with threats to their back line.

Tottenham might only have scored twice on Wednesday but they could have had far more, while Chelsea grabbed the winning goal at Stamford Bridge almost as soon as they launched a concerted period of pressure back in November. Add in the fact Arsenal were allowed to send 33 shots towards David de Gea’s goal in December and there is clearly an inherent problem for United. If anything, they need to be better at ‘parking the bus’.

Nemanja Matic’s form has been a concern in recent months following his lightning start to life at Manchester United, and with Pogba having been pushed up to provide more support to the attacking quartet in recent weeks the Serbian has only been further exposed.

Ander Herrera’s downturn has also hit United hard, robbing Mourinho of the chance to add an extra man of dynamism and substance in midfield in the long-term absence of Michael Carrick. The club skipper may be back to full fitness now, but adding another immobile holding player alongside Matic is unlikely to be the true solution the manager is looking for.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/the-...t-alexis-wont-solve/smd1rzq61wn31eou0ej59bzhl

Agree with almost everything that Article says. I feel the midfielder or midfielders we buy next year will decide how well we challenge next year because for me he will be the missing piece
You know quoting goal.com is like quoting Dan Brown for religious references?

Sanche7

You know quoting goal.com is like quoting Dan Brown for religious references?
Why, do you disagree with anything in the article?
Jones being a good but not great defender, Smalling being panicky, Herrera being out of form and an insecure backline. I feel all of that is true.

wolvored

What about trying to use the two forgotten midfielders who are already at the club:

Phil Jones - played as midfielder many times under SAF, and was decent at it too. He was a tank going forward. He could sit in front of the back four and Matic further forward.

Blind - he played as midfielder a few times under LVG, and was good at tackling and pressing. He is terrible as a left back, he is ok as a central defender but lacks the height to dominate. His best position may be midfield.
Neither are good enough there. I bet Blind especially has been tried there in training, and hasnt impressed Mourinho. Jones would fit the build Mourinho likes, as he prefers big tall midfielders in the premier.

wolvored

That does seem to sum up our failings. We have no WC or as near as dammit defenders, and you cant trust any of them to stay fit long term.
Midfield isnt anything special either. Pogba is the nearly man, and Matic is getting steadily worse as the season goes on. Herrera was never WC and also seems to have regressed this season.
The big fear is De Gea moving on as he must win us at least a dozen points a season. If he goes top 4 will be a big challenge next season, never mind winning it.

kthanksbye

I'd like to see Pereira come back in the mix next season, and we buy two midfielders, one to rotate with Matic and one to start beside Pogba, this is one position I'd really want us to go all out for, even if we have to spend a fortune.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We badly need to upgrade our midfield and even if Pereira comes back, we need 2 MFs imo. One to replace Carrick, one to replace Fellaini (hopefully) and Herrera wont survive long either imo

Hoboman

I still don't understand what was the point in buying Matic and playing him alongside Pogba in midfield two. That's like mixing oil with water. The former has no mobility and the latter has no defensive awareness and workrate for that job.

While Herrera is not world class and looked pretty bad this season, Mourinho could give him streak of 5-7 games to play in midfield three. Bet that wouldn't be worse than what we see now.

Don't buy the argument that Matic-Herrera-Pogba would be too defensive. Our midfielder often leaves defenders without any cover, we concede chances too easily, and still have no enough creativity in midfield. Even in his present form Herrera would at least give us his tenacity, mobility, non-stop pressing, tackles and interceptions - things that our midfield severely lacks this season.

Last edited:

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I'm not saying he is the answer to all of our problems, but someone like Lewis Cook could also be a nice option to have in central midfield.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I see our fullback positions as a much greater issue. But I'm not a manager so I wouldn't know so much. :smirk:

Sparky Rhiwabon

I'm not saying he is the answer to all of our problems, but someone like Lewis Cook could also be a nice option to have in central midfield.
Your expectations are quite low - I hoping for someone like Tony Kroos! :lol:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Obviously we are going to need midfielders this summer with potentially Fellaini and Carrick not being here next season, but it's a bit disappointing that after all the money spent and signings made, we still apparently need more. We're essentially hiding behind a need to replace players that don't play often anyway.

The thing is we are still miles away in terms of our play. It's not one or two players letting us down, and therefore need replacing, it's everyone. I don't see a couple of signings making much of a difference. Say we get a couple of midfielders and defenders and we're still no better, what then? Because I can absolutely see this being the case.

I wanted Jose here and I trust him to a certain extent, but i don't see what direction we are going in at all right now. We sign Lukaku and wanted Perisic which made sense, as Perisic is the type of player to supply Lukaku. But since then we play a completely different style of football which doesn't suit Lukaku, then add Sanchez and play him in the position we are strongest in. None of it makes sense.

Sanchez was obviously an opportunistic purchase but didn't solve any problems. Just improved on our best options already there.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Your expectations are quite low - I hoping for someone like Tony Kroos! :lol:
I wouldn't say my expectations are low, but I think the likes of Cook could be a good addition to our central midfield when partnered up with quality (e.g. Kroos). I wouldn't make him the only signing in that area anyway.

Saying that, I want the club to focus more on buying players that actually fit our system rather than the big names who may not be the best fit.

In my opinion, we look very disjointed as a team and many players don't appear to be on the same wavelength. Whilst I think this is a coaching issue, I feel it's also got to do with our transfer strategy.

Oldyella

I'd like to see Pereira come back in the mix next season, and we buy two midfielders, one to rotate with Matic and one to start beside Pogba, this is one position I'd really want us to go all out for, even if we have to spend a fortune.
Same, although I would only be signing one. Go big for someone who will walk straight into the side. Let McTominay and Pereira provide the cover along with Herrera if he isn't moved on.

DCP

Currently our best midfield is....

-------------------------Matic----------------
Herrera/McTominay/Fellaini ------ Pogba

This year we need someone to can do a job in that right of the midfield 3 role, a box to box midfielder than can play a bit too. Failing that a fully fit Jack Wilshere please.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
I guess it depends on what system he want to use going forward as to what type of midfielder we buy. I'd like someone as close to Michael Carrick as possible., someone to make us tick basically. I know a lot of people who rate Jorginho and is similar but I've not see enough of to pass judgement.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Obviously we are going to need midfielders this summer with potentially Fellaini and Carrick not being here next season, but it's a bit disappointing that after all the money spent and signings made, we still apparently need more. We're essentially hiding behind a need to replace players that don't play often anyway.

The thing is we are still miles away in terms of our play. It's not one or two players letting us down, and therefore need replacing, it's everyone. I don't see a couple of signings making much of a difference. Say we get a couple of midfielders and defenders and we're still no better, what then? Because I can absolutely see this being the case.

I wanted Jose here and I trust him to a certain extent, but i don't see what direction we are going in at all right now. We sign Lukaku and wanted Perisic which made sense, as Perisic is the type of player to supply Lukaku. But since then we play a completely different style of football which doesn't suit Lukaku, then add Sanchez and play him in the position we are strongest in. None of it makes sense.

Sanchez was obviously an opportunistic purchase but didn't solve any problems. Just improved on our best options already there.
I do agree mostly, probably more trusting of Jose, but have similar concerns. I worry that we have been trying to improve the overall level of our team, but options have been limited and we've signed the best players possible to recruit, who do not necessarily fit into a long-term coherent strategy. Lukaku a case in point. With Sanchez, if he ends up being played on the left for the remainder of the season it doesn't look good for Martial who has been one of our best performers this season.

If Jose is truly satisfied with his attacking options going into next season the only way things can be changed is with a midfield 3 where Pogba is given positional freedom to be part of all the attacking build up.

With 4231 and 433 this is how we can line up with Romelu at the top.
Rom
Martial Jesse Sanchez
Pogba Matic

Rom
Martial Sanchez
Pogba Matic Ander​

This doesn't change too much next season if our only additions will be in defence and midfield. Given we do not have wingers, the main striker has to be able to play in a more fluid style. And I must say, if we continue to see Sanchez on the left, I can see Martial leaving. He's not going to drop Lukaku for Martial/Rashford. And with a peak Sanchez, he might be inclined to field him in his favoured position.

All of this, IMV, can be solved by changing a main striker.

manunited1919

Neither are good enough there. I bet Blind especially has been tried there in training, and hasnt impressed Mourinho. Jones would fit the build Mourinho likes, as he prefers big tall midfielders in the premier.
I agree they are not good enough as a permanent solution, but as an additional option the current year they could be tried. Blind might do well in a midfield 3 of Pogba, Matic, Blind. Blind reads the game better than both Ander and McTominay, and might do well against teams that have good ball possession. As far as having been tried in training, Mourinho prefers specialists, and in midfield he wants a physical presence, so am not sure he would have tested Blind in there.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
I see our fullback positions as a much greater issue. But I'm not a manager so I wouldn't know so much. :smirk:
RB: Valencia/YOung/TFM
LB: Young, Shaw

LAV will have definitely one more season in him and TFM can cover and gain the experience over the season being his backup, in th worst case Young can easily cover there
On the left Young proved to be in good physical condition and has another great season in him, he can be rotated with Shaw, granted both payers stay fit, they are both great options there but hardly any team has three first team options there, so if Mourinho doesnt fancy Rojo/Blind to cover there, we might wanna buy some younger defender to fight with YOung and Shaw like Tierney from Celtic but he wont be cheap for a third choice LB if everyone stays fit, would still be a good addition but midfielder is priority no1

Jordan_mufc

I think we need a deep lying playmaker in the mould of Carrick to really elevate this team to the next level. I feel like this type of player is greatly underrated in the English game and can be the difference between being a 'good team' and being a 'world-class' team.

Now I'm not sure who fits the bill, but someone who can sit just ahead of Matic, and spray balls to release our full backs, release Pogba and to dictate the tempo of play.

It will, in turn, free up space for Sanchez, Martial etc who can then do some serious damage. Of course it's all good in theory, obviously a lot harder to put into practice.

Kaushalmanutd

Jorginho. Perfect player for us, can do it all. Fabulous passing range ( both long and short), vision, controls the game,so good in possession, great engine(runs all day), defensive cover , good age, also his passing accuracy is simply phenomenal especially when he plays so many long passes forward. Just watch him if u havent.

Kovacic will solve nothing or atleast wont bring the best out of pogba. Though i do like kovacic n think he will bring a lot of attacking impetus but he isnt a type of midfielder who can control and run the midfield , neither i think he is disciplined enough unlike jorginho. What we need right now a metronome type of midfielder who can control the midfield , keep switching the play, brings composure, play balls over the top ala scholes or fabregas , good in possession, provides defensive cover when pogba and co. is further upfield, bring the energy for 90 minutes etc. I simply cant think of anyone right now who can bring all that apart from jorginho. And tbh some of his one touch passing especially long passes are scholesesque. He is quite capable of orchestrating an attack quickly coz of that.

Other midfielders like kroos, modric, verratti areunattainable so i didnt bother to mention them. Jorginho will be sensational along side pogba and matic.

Bestietom

A dynamic Box to box midfielder who can play both defensive and offensive is what we need.

Manutd1990

Kovacic first choice, Fabinho 2nd. Jorginho seems very lightweight and slow, am i wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Clifton

Julian Weigl, anyone? He's the closest thing to a Carrick available out there. In the right environment and with some nurturing, he could very well become our next Carrick indeed.

Milinkovic-Savic is another player we should definitely be watching.

CDM: Weigl
RCM: Milinkovic-Savic
LCM: Pogba

That's an interesting midfield in a 4-3-3.

Last edited: