The search for an attacking midfielder!

G_and_T

My vote goes to Dani Olmo or David Brookes. Both a bit of a gamble but I've seen them play a lot and think they could bring a lot of creativity and energy to that spot.

croadyman

The thing about signing a DM whether it's in the winter or summer is that there are not many world class DMs for any club to sign. Off the top of my head I can mention only Neves, Partey and Ndidi and that's it. The rest are basically just gems or potential eg Berg, Sangare etc.

That said, I'd go for Marc Roca in January. Deep lying playmaker with 36m release clause. Ole has said several times that he doesn't want us to be just a counter attacking team and how we need to keep possession and control games. Roca can help with this.

I'd also be fine with Allan who is a very hard working box to box midfielder. He and Mctominay in a double pivot would work
Yeah I find it really strange that there seems to be so little interest in Partey. Obviously something is putting clubs off him for some reason.

Personally think it would be very difficult to get Neves or Ndidi but Allan could be obtainable as Napoli seem to be in a right mess.

Champagne Football

We should be all over Hwang from Salzburg in the January window. We missed a trick by not signing Son. Hwang could be of that caliber and not to mention he'll sell a load of shirts too.
But he could add much needed depth to our attack which is threadbare, especially if we get an injury to James, Rashford or Pogba. We don't even know if Pogba will bother to turn up for the 2nd half of the season, so Hwang could be a huge signing.

Havertz is too good to be true in January, but we have a tiny chance.

Then in summer get Osimhen/Moussa Dembele/Erling as an extra striker, one of Longstaff/Kalvin Phillips/Partey/Niguez/Neves for midfield, And one of Grealish/Maddison/McGinn/Olmo once Pogba fecks off.

kettledrumhamster

Not sure why nobody has thought about Deulofeu. He's quick, skillful, can unlock stubborn defences but also plays well on the counter. He's a battler carrying a shit team, has PL experience, excellent provenance as a real star at La Masia, and his team are bankers for relegation so would be available for a very low fee relative to his age and quality.

Seems like a bit of a no-brainer £25 January signing that would immediately improve our attacking options quite considerably. He might not be absolutely top-tier, but he's good enough to help us beat those stubborn teams in the lower half we keep struggling with. A bit like Mahrez but I think his character is arguably more reliable. I haven't seen or heard anyone mention him as a possibility at all. Surely he's a better fit for an immediate impact than all of these untested players from smaller foreign leagues, or huge-money big brand signings? What am I missing?

croadyman

Just seen that class goal from Aouar in the champions league. I remember his name being touted on this forum a few years ago but seemingly never any concrete interest.

Wouldn't surprise me if Utd are keeping tabs on Brooks and want to see how he comes back from this injury.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
My vote goes to Dani Olmo or David Brookes. Both a bit of a gamble but I've seen them play a lot and think they could bring a lot of creativity and energy to that spot.
Brooks has been injured pretty much all season, and is going to miss a few extra months at least. Now isn't the time.

jamesjimmybyrondean

After watching the Barcelona vs Real Sociedad game there's nothing I want more than Odegaard. If there's a chance to include him in a Pogba deal then we should take it.

On the other hand I really don't see why Madrid needs to sign Pogba tbh. He'd cost them a lot when they already have good players in his position

Ander herrera the warrior

Or we can do some forward planning and look to recruit now. why wait until Pogba is sold to buy? Surely better to get someone in, especially as we lack any real quality in the AM position

We know Pogba is leaving, its a matter of when.

The bench options arent good enough anyway, we need to sign an AM AND a CM as a priority.

Limit the game times of Periera/Lingard/Mata and have some competition/rotation with McTom & Fred.

Matic and Pogba shouldn't come into the thinking of our long term plans at all.

When Pogba is fit, i agree he is the best option as our #10, but he's not a natural 10 really, issue is we lack creativity. He can come back in, but its a stop gap until he's out the door i'm afraid.
Forward planning in January transfer window? More like we need sign player in positions where we are desperate.

pmgeorge

L. Martinez. Can do what Lingard does, but better. 111 milion release clause. Can play anywehere in attack.

D.Olmo. Almost finished product. Probably 50-60mil. Looks like young Mata.

Adam Hlozek. Buy and loan. Has better dribling stats than Mesi at 17year

Suvvernmanc

After watching the Barcelona vs Real Sociedad game there's nothing I want more than Odegaard. If there's a chance to include him in a Pogba deal then we should take it.

On the other hand I really don't see why Madrid needs to sign Pogba tbh. He'd cost them a lot when they already have good players in his position
On Pogba, Real Madrid would play him in midfield not behind the striker. They have good numbers in midfield but with Modric aging, Kroos playing poorly by his own standards they don't have alot of quality in there. Casimiro, Kroos, Modric and Valverde. They have alot of players that can play behind the front 3 so they do need 1 more player in the midfield.

jamesjimmybyrondean

On Pogba, Real Madrid would play him in midfield not behind the striker. They have good numbers in midfield but with Modric aging, Kroos playing poorly by his own standards they don't have alot of quality in there. Casimiro, Kroos, Modric and Valverde. They have alot of players that can play behind the front 3 so they do need 1 more player in the midfield.
Well Valverde has been one of their best players this season and is a fan favorite. Right now he's unplayable. If Odegaard comes back he's good enough to be a starter while Casemiro will play DM. So Odegaard Valverde and Casemiro and that's a complete midfield trio.

They still have Rodriguez Kroos Modric, Isco and Ceballos who will return. I'm sure Perez is probably not seeing the need for Pogba. Van De Beek is also set to join them. I really don't see Perez splashing 100m when there are still other good midfield options like Fabian Ruiz who they are also targeting and would like to join them

Last edited:

Tarrou

Not sure why nobody has thought about Deulofeu. He's quick, skillful, can unlock stubborn defences but also plays well on the counter. He's a battler carrying a shit team, has PL experience, excellent provenance as a real star at La Masia, and his team are bankers for relegation so would be available for a very low fee relative to his age and quality.

Seems like a bit of a no-brainer £25 January signing that would immediately improve our attacking options quite considerably. He might not be absolutely top-tier, but he's good enough to help us beat those stubborn teams in the lower half we keep struggling with. A bit like Mahrez but I think his character is arguably more reliable. I haven't seen or heard anyone mention him as a possibility at all. Surely he's a better fit for an immediate impact than all of these untested players from smaller foreign leagues, or huge-money big brand signings? What am I missing?
Everton have signed quite a few attackers for more than that fee in recent years. If he's doing well for them why would they let him go cheaply in January?

Minkaro

Everton have signed quite a few attackers for more than that fee in recent years. If he's doing well for them why would they let him go cheaply in January?
Because Everton have no say in where Watford players go?

Minkaro

:lol: when did that happen?
To be fair to you, he only joined Watford proper in 2018, I thought he'd been there longer. Barca signed him back from Everton, then loaned him the next winter window to Watford (who signed him in the summer).

Amarsdd

I don't really think there is any chance of Real Madrid letting go of Odegaard without giving his at least a couple of seasons in the first team.
In terms of players currently in the EPL, the more I've seen of Jack Grealish the more I feel he is a better fit for United than James Maddison. Maddison is a brilliant "attacking midfielder" but Grealish seems more influential from all over the pitch.

Tarrou

To be fair to you, he only joined Watford proper in 2018, I thought he'd been there longer. Barca signed him back from Everton, then loaned him the next winter window to Watford (who signed him in the summer).
yeah, I remember it now - cheers. Just had a complete mind-blank on it for a moment.

croadyman

Doesn't seem to be anything concrete about us signing a midfielder in the January window, if there is anything in Ole going to see Haaland yesterday then can see that being our only signing next month. Personally I feel we really need someone other than Pogba who can provide that bit of spark in a game where we are facing a packed defence and low block.

MrSingh2002

L. Martinez. Can do what Lingard does, but better. 111 milion release clause. Can play anywehere in attack.

D.Olmo. Almost finished product. Probably 50-60mil. Looks like young Mata.

Adam Hlozek. Buy and loan. Has better dribling stats than Mesi at 17year
That's a proper list. Hlozek has shades of a young Ronnie or Morata. I like it.

GoldanoGraham

Really hope that Maddison doesn’t sign a new contract with Leicester....unless there is a clause in it that is going to guarantee a set fee/exit - however this just means that he is going to become too expensive.....I think he would be great for us but we maybe have a better chance to get get Grealish - I think that AV may be willing to take someone from us as part of the deal, although probably not Phil Jones unfortunately...

Alabaster Codify7

On Maddison. What is the general consensus, is he 'good' or 'good enough to take us to the next level'?

I can't decide on him. I can see his obvious talent and appeal but I don't know if I see proper world-class potential in him. And part of me thinks that if we're selling Pogba, his replacement should be someone in that bracket or else we're still going to be a top 4 contender rather than what we should be.

kidbob

Why the hell didn't we try for James Rodriguez on loan? Also why the hell is Gomes left out when it has taken Greenwood a number of games to find his feet?

As for the search, we have the ideal 10 at the club the problem is we never planned to have the squad for dealing with a long term injury to him. Pogba being fit has us 7-9 points better off this season. This just shows how stupid it is to have no real replacement for him when he's not available.

Josep Dowling

On Maddison. What is the general consensus, is he 'good' or 'good enough to take us to the next level'?

I can't decide on him. I can see his obvious talent and appeal but I don't know if I see proper world-class potential in him. And part of me thinks that if we're selling Pogba, his replacement should be someone in that bracket or else we're still going to be a top 4 contender rather than what we should be.
For me he isn’t worth the £80m plus it will cost to buy him. I think he’s a good player but nothing particularly special. Havertz looks like a much better prospect but would expect Bayern to sign him on the cheap, as they always do with German talent.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I genuinely wonder what it would take for A) Real to sell Ødegaard and B) to convince the player to go to MUFC. I'd happily trade Pogba for Ødegaard if it would land the deal. He's exactly what the club needs. A player who is incredibly strong on the ball who likes to dribble and puts in excellent crosses, through balls and always tops the key-pass metrics. Currently ranked 5th best overall player in La Liga on the season on a team that's miraculously challenging for a CL spot next season.

Likely the figure is not within the realm of realistic numbers, and the player himself is set on a Real Madrid career, but one can speculate.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

My best mate is a Watford ST holder and isn't a fan. Looks great in that 1-in-10 performance he puts in - terrible the rest of the time. He'd get shown up very quickly at this level.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

I'd prefer Grealish personally. Looks to have a bit more of the steely mentality that we need without being short of talent.

If Maddison signs a new deal we should look elsewhere IMO. All it will do is add another 20% on an already massive transfer fee. If he was serious about moving I don't see why he would sign a new deal. It only makes a move more difficult.

We are desperate for a midfielder so not sure on the point your making?
You said this 'Or we can do some forward planning and look to recruit now. why wait until Pogba is sold to buy?' when someone said we can replace Pogba when sold.

My point is we shouldnt be buying Pogba's replacement in January. Why buy Pogba replacement now when we have him at least till the end of the season. We badly need a dm (deep lying playmaker) and a striker right now.

If we bought 2 players in January that itself would be huge from Ed Woodward. Most likely it won't happen.

Last edited:

Craig Ward

You said this 'Or we can do some forward planning and look to recruit now. why wait until Pogba is sold to buy?' when someone said we can replace Pogba when sold.

My point is we shouldnt be buying Pogba's replacement in January. Why buy Pogba replacement now when we have him at least till the end of the season. We badly need a dm (deep lying playmaker) and a striker right now.

If we bought 2 players in January that itself would be huge from Ed Woodward. Most likely it won't happen.
Yes, and i retain that logic.

Why would you wait? We have been caught short in the past not being proactive. Pogba is leaving. We should plan for that before it happens.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Doesn't seem to be anything concrete about us signing a midfielder in the January window, if there is anything in Ole going to see Haaland yesterday then can see that being our only signing next month..
I don't disagree with you, but I get the impression that the club will consider Pogba "like a new signing" when he recovers from injury, and that we won't address Midfield until the Summer when the whole Pogba issue is decided.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
There’s a number of options

Maddison, Grealish, Sancho, Olmo, Ziyech, Brooks

Some are easier untrainable than others but I would love it if we signed Maddison and Olmo if Pogba were to leave.

With Ziyech our right as you can’t sign Sancho along with those 2 (£££££££).

Shame Brooks has been injured all season - anyone know when he’s back?

Yes, and i retain that logic.

Why would you wait? We have been caught short in the past not being proactive. Pogba is leaving. We should plan for that before it happens.
Like I said if we buy a dm and a striker in January, that itself means we had a super successful January window by the standard set by Ed Woodward. I doubt we will get a Pogba replacement but let's hope n see what happens.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
How did Grealish do today? Saw that he scored but didn't see the match.

croadyman

How did Grealish do today? Saw that he scored but didn't see the match.
Well he got a 6 in the player ratings for the Birmingham Mail, my mate works for them so maybe should get him to give me a better overall picture of his performance

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
A

Agreed, would have been the perfect Fergie signing. Guy oozes class and doesn't get enough recognition for what he does at Villa.
I had a thread in the summer saying we should get a core of British players including James, AWB, maguire and grealish. Almost there :)

passing-wind

Brooks is a winger, no matter who we look at baring Olmo every other signing is going to cost a fortune. Maddison for 80 million is ridiculous, Havertz, Zaniolo and Odegaard will be expensive. I don't even see Odegaard as an option unless Pogba is leaving because Zidane might disregard Odegaard but Perez will likely supercede his authority.