The season's schedule - it's madness right?

Classical Mechanic

The September one was ridiculous considering it was just europe that played.

Ultimately world cup qualifiers will have to be played (Commebol somehow got to cram in 18 games in next two years and think Asia also has loads of games) but you could always go into summer 2022 if you have to so actually a winter world cup works o.k in that regard at least.

Think a better solution would've been just to bin off international football for this year allowing more time for domestic games and then perhaps next March have 4 weeks where you can play 6-7 international games. Then domestic run in comes back in April with hopefully more fans for the last 10 games.
I think we'll see much bigger international sqauds in this break with lots of new faces and rotation.

I do not believe the Euros will take place. The idea that in June there’ll be thousands of fans freely travelling around the world is a pipe dream. There’s zero point in even hosting a Euros without fan participation especially this one. At the very minimum the Euros will not be spread out all over Europe.
If it's a choice between them making some money or no money I know which one they'll opt for. If BCD Euros pays then it will happen.

Siorac

Think we saw today the impact of teams playing through August in europe and not having a proper break after seasons ended in late July.

Lyon got to SF, 1-1 today and had a really poor start to french league. PSG lost their first two aswell although that was more due to all the covid positives and having to put out scratch 11s.

Bayern Munich and Man. City lost convincingly and Sevilla currently losing to Cadiz. Inter just about turned around the game v Fiorentina but didn't look convincing either.

Man. United already covered a fair bit.
I don't think Lyon really belongs here; they finished 7th in Ligue 1 last season so they're just not that good, really, CL semi or not.
think everyone have accepted the situation. Its more about whether they can handle it physically and mentally. Based on the evidence of teams with longer last season, they are still struggling to get used to it. And I don't think getting paid millions per month changes much in that regards unless they can go buy 100% rejuvenation potions with those millions.
No need to buy 100% rejuvenation potions: just pop three small rejuv potions into the Horadric Cube and you'll get your Full Rejuv. Simples.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I don't think Lyon really belongs here; they finished 7th in Ligue 1 last season so they're just not that good, really, CL semi or not.

No need to buy 100% rejuvenation potions: just pop three small rejuv potions into the Horadric Cube and you'll get your Full Rejuv. Simples.
A ligue 1 that was cut short as they were improving and picking up form. Whether they were/are good is irrelevant, the longer you played in the summer and the harder it is to start with good form.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'm not really trying to blow life into this thread, it's just the only relevant thread.

We play Brighton next Sunday (4th) then Granada on Thursday (8th), followed by Spurs on Sunday (11th) and Granada again on the 15th (at home). The 2nd leg against Granada is of course an evening kick off (8 PM) but then we have Burnley on the Saturday (17th) at 15:00. Why aren't we playing them the day after, on a Sunday?

The next listed match is Leeds, away on the 24th. It's not like this affects Burnley in any way - they have 6 days rest prior and 7 days rest after. Seems absolutely crazy to have us play a day and a half after the 2nd leg against Granada.

miked99

If it's a choice between them making some money or no money I know which one they'll opt for. If BCD Euros pays then it will happen.
The Euros is worth too much money for too many people for it to be cancelled, fans or no fans. This season has been insane, but what's next season going to be like? The players are knackered already, and even when the season finally ends there's the Euros. They'll get a three week break after that, then pre-season starts. Then the World Cup starts in November. It's absolute lunacy. I think some players careers will be wrecked by this.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'm not really trying to blow life into this thread, it's just the only relevant thread.

We play Brighton next Sunday (4th) then Granada on Thursday (8th), followed by Spurs on Sunday (11th) and Granada again on the 15th (at home). The 2nd leg against Granada is of course an evening kick off (8 PM) but then we have Burnley on the Saturday (17th) at 15:00. Why aren't we playing them the day after, on a Sunday?

The next listed match is Leeds, away on the 24th. It's not like this affects Burnley in any way - they have 6 days rest prior and 7 days rest after. Seems absolutely crazy to have us play a day and a half after the 2nd leg against Granada.
In addition to the lack of fans, this season's schedule is why I'm having a hard time caring about how well we're doing.

I think we as fans should be doing better to protect the team's integrity because everybody's doing well considering the absurd situation they've found themselves in.

General frustration and high expectations makes this wishful thinking, I know.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Don't think that weekends fixtures yet have been moved for TV and other stuff, safe to say Man. United will be on the Sunday.

Is there any confirmation for how 22-23 season is going to work yet, are we playing into June-July that season given all the games that will be lost when the world cup is on that year?

wolvored

Its a mad season for all teams. We have played 1-2 games more than other top teams at the moment, but we are out of FA cup now, so will make a small difference.
It will probably be pretty even between Us, City, and Leicester at the end of the season.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Don't think that weekends fixtures yet have been moved for TV and other stuff, safe to say Man. United will be on the Sunday.

Is there any confirmation for how 22-23 season is going to work yet, are we playing into June-July that season given all the games that will be lost when the world cup is on that year?
That makes sense. We've had one or two instances of a Wednesday match (CL) and early Saturday kick off, but moving this to Sunday evening would make it realistic. Ideally, Monday evening.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Its a mad season for all teams. We have played 1-2 games more than other top teams at the moment, but we are out of FA cup now, so will make a small difference.
It will probably be pretty even between Us, City, and Leicester at the end of the season.
Made a thread on it recently, but we had the most games played in Europe and were the only side who has played every weekend and every midweek, while having a delayed start to add on. City are 1 game less, due to that one week off with covid they got which ended up being a blessing in disguise for them to get a bit of rest. The others have played around 5 games each (7+ if we're talking about big teams in other countries like madrid/Bayern etc).

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
They play 90 x 3 = 4,5 hours of football matches every week and there’s 168 hours in a week. That means they have around 164 hours to prepare, rest, spend time in the physio room, spend time with family, sleep, travel etc every week too.

Some weeks they only have 2 games which means more time to rest. Of course, there are lots of preparation on the training ground but I can’t really see it’s the schedule that is the problem here?

Normal people work at least 40 hours a week and then have time for a workout 1 hour after that too.

They’re professional players, that gets paid huge money for doing what they love.. don’t really see the problem with playing 3 games a week and have 3-5 weeks off every year. That sounds like a fantastic life to be fair.

wolvored

They play 90 x 3 = 4,5 hours of football matches every week and there’s 168 hours in a week. That means they have around 164 hours to prepare, rest, spend time in the physio room, spend time with family, sleep, travel etc every week too.

Some weeks they only have 2 games which means more time to rest. Of course, there are lots of preparation on the training ground but I can’t really see it’s the schedule that is the problem here?

Normal people work at least 40 hours a week and then have time for a workout 1 hour after that too.

They’re professional players, that gets paid huge money for doing what they love.. don’t really see the problem with playing 3 games a week and have 3-5 weeks off every year. That sounds like a fantastic life to be fair.
It does. The fact you get players like Maguire saying he doesnt need a break and playing 2-3 games a week isnt a problem makes you wonder if some players who moan, just want the money and fame, for the easiest life possible.
I remember when Sturridge went to USA to get over an injury and he was out partying, dancing etc. Makes you wonder how many swing the lead.

bsCallout

This is a pretty awful argument.

These players are required to perform at extreme levels, peak performance, every game. That 4.5 hours of matches doesn't include even their warm-up or cool-down. That doesn't include their training.

People working 40 hours a week are either not doing physical jobs OR aren't required to perform optimally in their physical jobs. Most just have to show up.

No one is claiming it is not a fantastic life or that they are hard done by.

The schedule makes it next to impossible for the players to perform at the required level each game. That effects results. The overuse also contributes to injuries.

You can throw whatever money you want at it, but the human body is only capable of so much. To perform at the levels required of them, they need to train hard and rest even better. There is no time for either at the moment with the current schedule.

Then you take into account any travel. From personal experience as someone who has travelled a lot, travel days are exhausting, even if you aren't doing anything.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
This is a pretty awful argument.

These players are required to perform at extreme levels, peak performance, every game. That 4.5 hours of matches doesn't include even their warm-up or cool-down. That doesn't include their training.

People working 40 hours a week are either not doing physical jobs OR aren't required to perform optimally in their physical jobs. Most just have to show up.

No one is claiming it is not a fantastic life or that they are hard done by.

The schedule makes it next to impossible for the players to perform at the required level each game. That effects results. The overuse also contributes to injuries.

You can throw whatever money you want at it, but the human body is only capable of so much. To perform at the levels required of them, they need to train hard and rest even better. There is no time for either at the moment with the current schedule.

Then you take into account any travel. From personal experience as someone who has travelled a lot, travel days are exhausting, even if you aren't doing anything.
Yeah that’s your opinion. I don’t know of you’ve ever played professional football but I have. And in my opinion they should be able to play 2-3 games a week.

Just have a look at the NHL schedule for a sec. They play 5 games in 7 days and then 4 games in 9 days almost every week. It’s not like they are moaning about it.

Of course they will get tired at some point of the season and maybe a few more injuries than a normal season. But that’s life. We all get tired, it’s how you deal with it and how mentally strong you are.

Bruno commenting the schedule post match a few weeks back saying he’s young and wants to play every game. It would be something wrong of you are in your prime and can’t play 2-3 games a week.

bsCallout

Yeah that’s your opinion. I don’t know of you’ve ever played professional football but I have. And in my opinion they should be able to play 2-3 games a week.

Just have a look at the NHL schedule for a sec. They play 5 games in 7 days and then 4 games in 9 days almost every week. It’s not like they are moaning about it.

Of course they will get tired at some point of the season and maybe a few more injuries than a normal season. But that’s life. We all get tired, it’s how you deal with it and how mentally strong you are.

Bruno commenting the schedule post match a few weeks back saying he’s young and wants to play every game. It would be something wrong of you are in your prime and can’t play 2-3 games a week.
There is a difference between being able to and being able to play to the level you're capable and should. Don't compare it to NHL, that's just daft.

Nice motivational speech. :lol:

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
There is a difference between being able to and being able to play to the level you're capable and should. Don't compare it to NHL, that's just daft.

Nice motivational speech. :lol:
Haha go on keyboard warrior! :lol: