The season's schedule - it's madness right?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
De Bruyne referred to this in an interview tonight. It seems so painfully obvious that having no proper holiday, no actual pre-season and then go into a gruelling football season to be then followed by the Euros is madness.

And for teams to start the league maybe two weeks apart.

The league should have started maybe a month later, going into mid June perhaps, scrapping the Euros, scrapping at least the lesser domestic cup competitions, and if needs be, going straight to knock-out rounds and scrapping the group stage in the Europa and CL.

I feel the problem is being extended into the future - and perpetuated - rather than dealt with right now.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
De Bruyne referred to this in an interview tonight. It seems so painfully obvious that having no proper holiday, no actual pre-season and then go into a gruelling football season to be then followed by the Euros is madness.
The league should have started maybe a month later, going into mid June perhaps, scrapping the Euros, scrapping at least the lesser domestic cup competitions, and if needs be, going straight to knock-out rounds and scrapping the group stage in the Europa and CL.
I feel the problem is being extended into the future - and perpetuated - rather than dealt with right now.
I think this will be used as a youth cup by all PL teams. Top 6 will also probably rest their key player for FA cup til at least the 1/4 finals too.
I agree that this should have been removed by FA and Premier League.

OhGee

Technically speaking there was a month break between March and June...

Traub

There are going to be a lot of upsets this coming season. I don’t think we’re looking at a 90+ points championship winning season.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Technically speaking there was a month break between March and June...
The more people say that lockdown was a break the more I disagree. There was huge mental stress for players during this period that they don’t have during a normal pre-season or summer.

They were still on a specific training schedule that would have been different to a normal pre-season schedule / they were having to do this while their kids/family was around so they have the added stress of that to deal with.

It was nothing like a normal pre-season break or ‘holiday’ that footballers usually have at the end of a season.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It really is going to be mad. Injuries galore. So much football in these players legs coming up.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's ruinous for the smaller clubs. There might be a dip in quality for the big sides when they use their full squad whilst resting starters, but they will always be able to field a relatively strong side when contrasted to those at the other end of the division.

Theoretically, this could be a boon for the sport if clubs would use their academies and promote from within to pad out their squads and give their overworked starters a break, but the reality is more likely to be burnout and injuries whilst there's a realistic chance of realising whatever league position is sought or a trophy in general.

Superunknown

The more people say that lockdown was a break the more I disagree. There was huge mental stress for players during this period that they don’t have during a normal pre-season or summer.

They were still on a specific training schedule that would have been different to a normal pre-season schedule / they were having to do this while their kids/family was around so they have the added stress of that to deal with.

It was nothing like a normal pre-season break or ‘holiday’ that footballers usually have at the end of a season.
Most people I have spoken to have agreed that lockdown was, at many times, exhausting mentally. I don't really go with the idea that it was a break, either.

Plus, with any break, it then takes a while to build things back up to the level they were before. So, that's quite stressful, since you're then rushing to get back "there" quicker.

I have concerns over this next season and I think the standard of football is going to fluctuate a lot. The coaching and medical staff will be earning their crust as they're going to be called upon so much. I hope to feck that we rotate, for example. It's going to be needed.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

Rich coming from KDB when City already have the most complete squad in the league with plenty more expensive reinforcements to come in. A few key injuries or fatigue to the likes of Liverpool or ourselves could see city run away with it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I agree that lockdown was not a physical holiday at all for footballers: MUFC were tracking players cardio and strength numbers to ensure they performed their training plans, and some like Greenwood came back physically transformed.

I liked OGS's remarks about this from recent Seville press conference. "It is what it is". No point moving about it, just add it to the list of challenges to deal with, while making sure you look after all your employees as best as you can. Virtually every person on the planet has had to deal with stress from covid19. This is not about EPL footballers earning loads of money or their extremely privileged way of life. Simply that they have to man up and deal with the situation in front of them, just like everyone else has had to.

To be very fair to them, that's exactly what they have done, and provided all us fans with great entertainment after some very stressful lockdown months.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Rich coming from KDB when City already have the most complete squad in the league with plenty more expensive reinforcements to come in. A few key injuries or fatigue to the likes of Liverpool or ourselves could see city run away with it.
I think he's just a human being, making a very natural observation regarding human physiology. I despise all the things about City that merit that reaction, but he's absolutely allowed his opinion and it's a sensible one. In all their bigger matches he's pretty crucial. He's had quite a few seasons already picking up spells sidelined with injuries. He's a key player for Belgium, he'll be playing pretty much 2 and half to 3 years straight, without proper rest (also mental rest) - i.e. a season that began in August ´19, then this year, and next summer, with a short break before the '21 season begins, all things being equal. And I definitely wouldn't count the first lockdown phase any sort of respite, for anyone.

How is everyone (clubs, leagues, players, managers) just taking this as business as usual - it's terrible planning.

Eddy_JukeZ

It will be interesting.

They should disband the league cup 1 season or give teams an option to forgo it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It's ruinous for the smaller clubs. There might be a dip in quality for the big sides when they use their full squad whilst resting starters, but they will always be able to field a relatively strong side when contrasted to those at the other end of the division.
Theoretically, this could be a boon for the sport if clubs would use their academies and promote from within to pad out their squads and give their overworked starters a break, but the reality is more likely to be burnout and injuries whilst there's a realistic chance of realising whatever league position is sought or a trophy in general.
If you dont rest key players, they will quickly get muscle injuries meaning they unavailable for lengthy periods.
So I think all coaches will quickly realise that static rotation is the only way to get through the season.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It will be interesting.

They should disband the league cup 1 season or give teams an option to forgo it.
If this really goes ahead as planned, I would love to see what @Fortitude mentioned, in both the cups. Give it to the kids. Not disjointed teams with fringe players out of form, but a young team instructed to play as close to the first XI as personnel allows, with players playing in their natural positions.

Then we're back to the debate we had before the Chelsea semi-final. I am on the side of prioritising what's most important whilst keeping the players fresh enough to perform close to their maximum level. And I'd be quite happy seeing us giving young players meaningful games and try to introduce quite a few of them into first team training.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think he's just a human being, making a very natural observation regarding human physiology. I despise all the things about City that merit that reaction, but he's absolutely allowed his opinion and it's a sensible one. In all their bigger matches he's pretty crucial. He's had quite a few seasons already picking up spells sidelined with injuries. He's a key player for Belgium, he'll be playing pretty much 2 and half to 3 years straight, without proper rest (also mental rest) - i.e. a season that began in August ´19, then this year, and next summer, with a short break before the '21 season begins, all things being equal. And I definitely wouldn't count the first lockdown phase any sort of respite, for anyone.

How is everyone (clubs, leagues, players, managers) just taking this as business as usual - it's terrible planning.
I totally agree with that and obviously from a personal standpoint he’s going to want to do his best work and it’s almost impossible without proper recuperation. It’s a messy situation but I think City will be able to give him more rest than say we can give Bruno or Liverpool can give their key players.

Red00012

There are going to be a lot of upsets this coming season. I don’t think we’re looking at a 90+ points championship winning season.
Those cnuts have had a fine break . No cups just league .

peridigm

I think they should forget about any international competition at least until the next WC. Even that will be in jeopardy due to qualifying rounds needing to start so early for many countries.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Looks like Liverpool is best off through all this actually. They were done first of all the EPL top clubs and had been operating at medium intensity already a few weeks before the end of the season. That's a pretty reasonable break for them.

Typical btw that the first thing going out the window in a crunch season is the winter break. No cup replays or second legs is good, but more could have been scrapped if the wellbeing of the players had been a priority. (But when was it ever.)

Why is that good?
That way, at least there would be a proper break after next season.

Le Red

This season should have only PL and EL/UCL. Should solve the problem and almost no one would complain.

RashyForPM

Looks like Liverpool is best off through all this actually. They were done first of all the EPL top clubs and had been operating at medium intensity already a few weeks before the end of the season. That's a pretty reasonable break for them.

Typical btw that the first thing going out the window in a crunch season is the winter break. No cup replays or second legs is good, but more could have been scrapped if the wellbeing of the players had been a priority. (But when was it ever.)

That way, at least there would be a proper break after next season.
They ‘look’ the best off. However, teams like us will have full match sharpness and adrenaline always kicks in during matches anyway even if the players are tired. We’ll be fine.

pacifictheme

They did have 3 months off. Longer than normal.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Football is all about TV money these days and they have to try play this insane schedule to keep it coming in. More so given matchday revenue will be zero for a while.

I think clubs will play u23 sides in the cups, which will help to some degree.

Going to be lots of injuries, squads for euro 2020 will be interesting, probably full of really young players as they'll be ones left standing.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Won't matter 'cause football will be canceled again by November at the latest

TheLord

This is where teams with a large squad and managers who are keen to rotate the playing-eleven will benefit immensely. I am expecting lots of injuries and Leicester-esque collapses next season, and that is without any regard of a possible winter surge of Covid-19.

Liverpool have an advantage over the other top teams as they they were knocked out early in the CL and didn’t have to grind it out in the last few PL matches. They will start in a much better physical/mental state compared with the other top teams.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Doubt that. Most FAs are doing a good job in containment of Korona, especially in top leagues. They'll carry on, with no spectators.
Won't matter once countries go on lockdown again

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The pandemic is unlikely to end before the summer. The Japanese have been talking about scraping the Olympics for months.
Not the euros will be in the summer. They could have gone ahead in July August this year (with no fans).

Its winter ie flu season that is going to kill the league

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I'm most interested in how European games will be handled. Especially as nations enter lockdown phases again. Unless there is radical change to the format I dont see how the Europa League or Champions League goes ahead next season.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Some very good and interesting comments on here.
I think that there may be less players leaving the club than most people want (the so called deadwood), we will need a reasonably large squad to deal with the amount of matches squeezed into a shorter time period. Players like Smalling and Rojo will almost certainly leave, but possibly Dalot, Pereira, Lingard, Jones, TFM and Mata I think may well stay another season, unless a substantial offer from another club comes in for one of those players. With some of our brightest academy prospects probably going on loan, there may not be so many from the academy who fill in on the bench this coming season, but by the same token, some academy lads may get an opportunity, who realistically thought they may never do. I can also see that most, if not all, of our first team squad may have breaks built into their own personal season, so in effect they do get a type of winter break, this would be staggered so we don't have more than a couple unavailable for say two weeks, and this also may depend on how many injuries we get, and how serious they are. City have the biggest squad, and so should be one of the main runners for the title, and it will be interesting to see how Liverpool do with a smaller squad, albeit they've had a longer break than us, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Wolves. Interesting times indeed.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I can't believe that the Nations League is still going ahead. The first matchdays are 3-5 and 6-8 September and then the PL kicks off on the 12th September.

Denmark vs England is on the 8th September. :houllier:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I can't believe that the Nations League is still going ahead. The first matchdays are 3-5 and 6-8 September and then the PL kicks off on the 12th September.

Denmark vs England is on the 8th September. :houllier:
Money, money, money.

FA need the money just like the clubs do, FA deficit is about £300m.... and they already made redundancies.

I think all football will go ahead this season, even as we enter depths of winter and some teams might be missing players due to the virus, a lot of clubs go to the wall if it doesn't. Simple as that.

Green_Red

I don't see what the problem is. I dont see a link to the actual schedule but millionaires complaining that they only have 6/8 weeks holiday before they start playing football again isnt something I'll have much sympathy for. Surely its no different to say players like the Spanish that went 4-6 years winning every club competition they were in and euros and world cups. Surely that represents a tight schedule.

Liverpool are the only big team to have a proper rest and pre season. The rest are at a big disadvantage. Personally i hope we sacrifice the League Cup and the FA Cup to play our kids. Focus the first team on the league and the CL.

The Nations League going ahead is a joke too. It's a joke of a competition anyway, but to be continuing with it after all this.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Money, money, money.

FA need the money just like the clubs do, FA deficit is about £300m.... and they already made redundancies.

I think all football will go ahead this season, even as we enter depths of winter and some teams might be missing players due to the virus, a lot of clubs go to the wall if it doesn't. Simple as that.
Which is sad. Footballers are people too.