The self indulgent clapping on your doorstep is coming back

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
My Mrs is an amazing nurse who has been on the front line of this shit for a year.

She doesn't want you to bang a saucepan. She wants the free parking that Robin Swann promised in a press conference but never delivered. She pays £5 per day to go to work and help people - and got Covid for 5 weeks in the process.
First off I am not sure anyone outside of NI knows who Robin Swann is.

Also @Mr Pigeon if it reminds selfish cnuts every thursday that the fight against the virus is still going on is that a bad thing?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
First off I am not sure anyone outside of NI knows who Robin Swann is.

Also @Mr Pigeon if it reminds selfish cnuts every thursday that the fight against the virus is still going on is that a bad thing?
It might remind them of the virus but if they are selfish cnuts then they won't care. They'll just have a lightbulb pop up above their head and think "I should video this and put it on Facebook."

Like others said; words and plaudits mean feck all. Actions are important and I know with certainty that the wankstains two and three doors down from me will be out tonight banging their pots, but they're the same folk who last year said nurses were being cheeky asking for more money right now and that the reports about them crying in hospital corridors was "exaggerated otherwise they should just grow up and find a different job".

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
My mum is a carer and last year was going to one of her clients just as the clapping started. They gave her a round of applause and cheered her on and she just felt like a dick :lol:

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
My mum is a carer and last year was going to one of her clients just as the clapping started. They gave her a round of applause and cheered her on and she just felt like a dick :lol:
Bit inconvenient as she had to go to work.

Blatzo

My Mrs is an amazing nurse who has been on the front line of this shit for a year.

She doesn't want you to bang a saucepan. She wants the free parking that Robin Swann promised in a press conference but never delivered. She pays £5 per day to go to work and help people - and got Covid for 5 weeks in the process.
Saved herself £125 in the process though.

I'm sorry! I couldn't help myself. Genuinely admire what she's done for our country - I have family working in ITU too.

Tiber

Saved herself £125 in the process though.

I'm sorry! I couldn't help myself. Genuinely admire what she's done for our country - I have family working in ITU too.

That's a fair way to look at it to be fair :lol:

And yea, they are all doing great work

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I always found the clapping cringe. One thing I can say made every healthcare worker feel good in the A/E where I worked was the amount of good food people sent there during the first wave. That was awesome.

Now in the second wave all we got was candied fruit cakes, which are very traditional around here during Christmas. Awful, I don't know how candied fruit is a thing and it's even worse in cakes.

I should add that far more annoying than clapping things is the amount of self-indulgent colleagues on social network. I hate it.

Last edited:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
So the creator of Clap for Carers, who is more interested in creating an air of false altruism around her than she is actually doing something that would support carers, is rebranding the whole thing as Clap For Heroes. It's not gone down very well on Twitter.

What's your thoughts on the clapping thing? To me it's just a bunch of twats taking the opportunity to make some silly noise for a minute, each of them fighting one another for attention, before plopping back in their chairs and patting themselves on the back for a "job well done" when the reality is they've done next to feck all to actually support essential workers. If anything they get more out of it themselves than the people they're allegedly supporting.

They're selfish, vapid, vain arseholes who wouldn't lift a finger to do anything of value to support essential workers. But of cnuts. And if you disagree with me then you're a cnut as well. cnuts.

I pretty much agree with you. Just typical of the social media fueled vain culture of wanting to appear to be a good person but without actually having to do anything.

Everyone's been really good at clapping, spouting "we're all in this together" rhetoric or delivering their opinions on who should be doing what, but so few actually do anything to help. I get that some people genuinely can't do anything or are worried about taking risks, but a lot also conveniently position their stance to their own personal benefit as well.

The last 9 months have changed my political stance from solid left to "everyone's basically a selfish cnut"

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I always found the clapping cringe. One thing I can say made every healthcare worker feel good in the A/E where I worked was the amount of good food people sent there during the first wave. That was awesome.

Now in the second wave all we got was candied fruit cakes, which are very traditional around here during Christmas. Awful, I don't know how candied fruit is a thing and it's even worse in cakes.

I should add that far more annoying than clapping things is the amount of self-indulgent colleagues on social network. I hate it.
My friend's missus works at a hospital in London. Her colleague died of covid the other day and aparently it's a lot worse than in the summer because the fatigue has kicked in and they need actual help now rather than people just saying "well done".

His view now is the government sees the front line as "collateral damage"...they're going to run out of staff long before they run out of beds apparently.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
My friend's missus works at a hospital in London. Her colleague died of covid the other day and aparently it's a lot worse than in the summer because the fatigue has kicked in and they need actual help now rather than people just saying "well done".

His view now is the government sees the front line as "collateral damage"...they're going to run out of staff long before they run out of beds apparently.
I'm on the verge of another break down, in fact, me posting on redcafe is usually a prelude to those, as most of the times I just lurk.

Working 12 hour shifts isn't my thing, although I had done that before in other jobs. I can't say it's if it's physical exhaustion or stress that it's bringing me down the most.

Wouldn't say it's specifically Covid-related, I'm just not tailored for this job. I've always thought the culture of front-line healthcare work is terrible. Everything seems designed for maximum stress. A sense of duty made me vie for the challenge this time, but now that it's becoming routine I just can't handle anymore.

stevoc

Change the clapping to masturbating and I’m in.
Probably a bit too cold to do that at your front door at this time of year. But i suppose it would highlight the people who genuinely want to show their support.

RUCK4444

Overly aggressive OP isn’t it?

I mean posting a thread on an Internet forum to garner responses whilst simultaneously calling people cnuts if they disagree with them? Wtf.

It’s a hollow gesture now but your crazed reaction to it is probably more strange than the act itself.

People like to twist something harmless, a gesture or social reminder into some crazy disgraceful act that proves you are a Tory scumbag.
Same happening with taking the knee for BLM, its literally a harmless act used to highlight an obvious issue within society that has been twisted into meaning you agree with disarming police in America etc.

Just let people try to be nice to one another, even if the sentiment is floored on some level, rather than wagging your finger and picking the negative to focus on... god knows we had enough of that in 2020.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I think the positive effects we're mainly felt by people living through lockdown rather than those on the frontline. There were certainly multiple occasions where partaking made you feel like going through lockdown and it's rules was paying off, even if it lacked total sincerity.

Not sure if it can be reintroduced so similarly though.

Dave_MUFC

Hate this stupid gesture. It exists just to make the people doing it feel like they're doing good (Plus this time, most of the people clapping will have been ones meeting various family for Christmas and NYE, and still not taking any care following the rules).

My brother is a doctor, and he has said that him and all his friends in the field hate it, as it makes them feel like they're being martyrs, and people are clapping for them when they're really struggling with their mental health due to the conditions they're working in hospitals, and what they're seeing.

Also agree that it's playing into the governments hands and people are forgetting all the things that are going against the NHS atm.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
A lady across the road came out last night at 8 and had a look around. I guess she didn't want to be the first and/or alone. So she went back inside.

It's a terrible idea really. Getting people to act like they did in March/April is difficult to wrap your head around mentally. It feels like all the sacrifices we all made last year were for nothing, and we're still rooted to square one. I mean, it obviously wasn't for nothing, lockdowns brought cases and deaths down enormously in the first instance, it saved lives. Even lockdown 2 had a fair impact on the numbers. But the exact same gesture at the same time on the same day is just Groundhog Day. Poeple are struggling, to take them back to where they were 9 or 10 months ago isn't a great idea.

Perhaps this whole thing has given people a new found appreciation for the NHS and will no longer take it for granted. I sure hope so, and they could start by voting for a party who is not out to decimate and privatise it, if they're not already doing so.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
A lady across the road came out last night at 8 and had a look around. I guess she didn't want to be the first and/or alone. So she went back inside.

It's a terrible idea really. Getting people to act like they did in March/April is difficult to wrap your head around mentally. It feels like all the sacrifices we all made last year were for nothing, and we're still rooted to square one. I mean, it obviously wasn't for nothing, lockdowns brought cases and deaths down enormously in the first instance, it saved lives. Even lockdown 2 had a fair impact on the numbers. But the exact same gesture at the same time on the same day is just Groundhog Day. Poeple are struggling, to take them back to where they were 9 or 10 months ago isn't a great idea.

Perhaps this whole thing has given people a new found appreciation for the NHS and will no longer take it for granted. I sure hope so, and they could start by voting for a party who is not out to decimate and privatise it, if they're not already doing so.
Same happened where I live, I was in the kitchen and watched a neighbour come to her door, saw nobody was out and went back in.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
You guys think clapping is bad...at where I live, the national air force actually did bloody flybys over towns and hospitals, as a "show of appreciation." Imagine being so self involved, you actually think you're doing something by creating unwanted noise pollution.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I joined in the first few times last year until it quickly became a competition as to who could be the noisiest.

You can see all down our street and who came out and who didn’t. Straight away, there was the moral high grounding going on ‘ooh I say, so and so didn’t come out last night’, as soon as that started happening I started to lose interest because it was clear the meaning of it was lost.

Then a lady a few doors down came out with a pan and wooden spoon. Next week a bloke further down came out with a refs whistle. The final straw for me came the following week when a family 3 doors from me came out blaring air horns while grinning in a ‘beat that losers’ kind of way.

I stayed on the sofa the week after that.

I loved the idea of it and it felt right at the time but as usual, the public had to ruin it with one upmanship and general tossery.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'm on the verge of another break down, in fact, me posting on redcafe is usually a prelude to those, as most of the times I just lurk.

Working 12 hour shifts isn't my thing, although I had done that before in other jobs. I can't say it's if it's physical exhaustion or stress that it's bringing me down the most.

Wouldn't say it's specifically Covid-related, I'm just not tailored for this job. I've always thought the culture of front-line healthcare work is terrible. Everything seems designed for maximum stress. A sense of duty made me vie for the challenge this time, but now that it's becoming routine I just can't handle anymore.
Hang in there fella. I know it doesn’t mean much but it won’t last forever and I am sure that right now you are hugely appreciated for saving actual lives!

Deery

Dreary

It must be horrible lad, everyone is behind you guys don’t think we aren’t.

Toad

I didn’t understand the clap for carers then and I don’t understand it now. I work in the Nuclear industry and am an essential worker, at the beginning of this whole pandemic we also had to go to work as usual and still do now. Supermarket workers have to go to work, as do teachers, caterers, mechanics, certain retail, the list goes on. These people didn’t expect to be clapped for, end of the day your just doing your job.

NHS staff who weren’t on the ‘front line’ were walking out there houses in their uniforms just to be clapped because they work for the NHS. All NHS workers would put their Facebook pictures as NHS pictures just for attention even though they were in a complete different sector to the hospitals (my aunt included which pissed me off).

my friend went in to hospital for an operation three weeks ago and tested negative beforehand for Covid. He phoned me while in hospital explaining how the Covid controls were absolutely terrible compared to our workplace practices. He was genuinely concerns due to the lack of gloves, hand sanitising and had a confirmed case of Covid opposite to him in the same ward, it took 4 hours for them to love him.You will never guess what happened next, he got home and tested positive for Covid a few days or so later. Granted the hospitals may be understaffed but even if you are understaffed you should still do the basics I.e. wear masks, gloves, food handling. Bottom line is that I’m not clapping for people that aren’t even doing the basics right, and yes I have had the views of multiple people that both agree and disagree. My advise is - Don’t go to a hospital.

Roger

I didn’t understand the clap for carers then and I don’t understand it now. I work in the Nuclear industry and am an essential worker, at the beginning of this whole pandemic we also had to go to work as usual and still do now. Supermarket workers have to go to work, as do teachers, caterers, mechanics, certain retail, the list goes on. These people didn’t expect to be clapped for, end of the day your just doing your job.

NHS staff who weren’t on the ‘front line’ were walking out there houses in their uniforms just to be clapped because they work for the NHS. All NHS workers would put their Facebook pictures as NHS pictures just for attention even though they were in a complete different sector to the hospitals (my aunt included which pissed me off).

my friend went in to hospital for an operation three weeks ago and tested negative beforehand for Covid. He phoned me while in hospital explaining how the Covid controls were absolutely terrible compared to our workplace practices. He was genuinely concerns due to the lack of gloves, hand sanitising and had a confirmed case of Covid opposite to him in the same ward, it took 4 hours for them to love him.You will never guess what happened next, he got home and tested positive for Covid a few days or so later. Granted the hospitals may be understaffed but even if you are understaffed you should still do the basics I.e. wear masks, gloves, food handling. Bottom line is that I’m not clapping for people that aren’t even doing the basics right, and yes I have had the views of multiple people that both agree and disagree. My advise is - Don’t go to a hospital.
Which hospital was this!!

Arruda

Supports
Porto
It must be horrible lad, everyone is behind you guys don’t think we aren’t.
Hang in there fella. I know it doesn’t mean much but it won’t last forever and I am sure that right now you are hugely appreciated for saving actual lives!
Many thanks, it was just a temporary lower mood after working too many days in a row. Probably just need a couple of weeks off, which I'm liable to get soon. Doing night shifts now, which are a lot more soothing.

NinjaFletch

To be fair, It isn't blaming them for people losing their jobs, but them feeling sorry for themselves that bugs me. Nurses tend to feel like they are hard done by, but you can be in a hell of a lot worse positions. They have a good wage (anyone struggling on 33k per year needs to sort themselves out) and being in the public sector means their jobs are more secure

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I didn't participate in it first time round, but I didn't mind it as a morale booster and a way for people to feel tapped in to something bigger than themselves at a time when everyone was feeling low.

But it's pretty obvious that it has absolutely feck all to do with actually being grateful for the NHS, as demonstrated by the lack of public anger when the government a load of these cnuts elected back in November refused to give them a pay rise again.

At any rate, its vapid self indulgence is more irritating than harmful.
To be fair, It isn't blaming them for people losing their jobs, but them feeling sorry for themselves that bugs me. Nurses tend to feel like they are hard done by, but you can be in a hell of a lot worse positions. They have a good wage (anyone struggling on 33k per year needs to sort themselves out) and being in the public sector means their jobs are more secure
I'm so confused right now.