The shocking decline of Trent Alexander Arnold

Righteous Steps

Both Walker and Trippier are far superior for balanced play. And TAA is far superior as an attacking RB. Sorry, but James (for me) has a long way to go to even be in the discussion...
Reece James isn’t even a great defender, I don’t know where the myth comes that he’s more ‘balanced’ he’s decent defensively and decent attacking wise.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Reece James isn’t even a great defender, I don’t know where the myth comes that he’s more ‘balanced’ he’s decent defensively and decent attacking wise.
I think it's just that he's got low expectations so people tend to over rate him. But put him up against any of the other RB's in the conversation and he doesn't come close. I think Southgate brought him up to have a look at him and give him confidence, but there is no doubt in my mind that when he calls up his RB's for the Euro's it's going to be Walker and TAA and possibly Trippier if he calls up a 3rd RB...

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Walker and TAA should be the RBs for England. Walker is more safer bet at least among the options they have, TAA if they are chasing the game.

Tbf to Trippier he did good job whenever he played so Southgate will pick him.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
It's all about expectations. James is newish to the spotlight so his expectations are low, but TAA has been touted as the best RB in the world so his expectations are high. But if you just compare the two head to head, TAA is a much better player and better option to have on the bench if chasing a game, or to start a game against lesser teams. Otherwise, Walker starts...
And if Walker gets injured we have to rely on TAA possibly against the likes of Mbappe/Coman, Gnabry/Sane, Jota/Neto etc. Are you confident in him dealing with those kind of players? I wouldn't even trust him against someone like Dan James personally.

I think it's just that he's got low expectations so people tend to over rate him. But put him up against any of the other RB's in the conversation and he doesn't come close. I think Southgate brought him up to have a look at him and give him confidence, but there is no doubt in my mind that when he calls up his RB's for the Euro's it's going to be Walker and TAA and possibly Trippier if he calls up a 3rd RB...
He's been in 4 of the past 5 squads, clearly it's more than just a case of having a look at him.

TheReligion

Abusive
Does anyone else feel as though Trent has suffered a bit from being overhyped up last season? Greenwood has had a bit of a reality check this term, especially after what happened with England, so United took him out of the spotlight a bit and now he's looking like getting back on track. Trent on the other hand has been made to play though the whole season whilst not in form as as part of a particularly poor Liverpool side. He's only a young lad so mentally it must be pretty hard to understand.

I heard Carragher the other night suggest that there's no one else in the world, other than KDB, that he'd want on the ball on the right hand side/centre right areas. I mean come on.

SirMarcusRashford

Nobody is asking him to stay back and not attack at all, but he has to be able to perform defensively at an acceptable level when asked to. Falling asleep on a throw in and not marking Vinicius for their 3rd goal when there wasn't any other Madrid player in the area is unacceptably bad.

He just flat out falls asleep or is unaware far too often, and it's to the point where teams target him for it constantly and he's not improved or adapted to cope with it at all.

If he can't do that then he will suffer the consequences.
He's 22 years of age, to put that into context Paul Scholes only just became a Manchester United first team regular aged 21/22 from the academy, TAA has played 2 Champions League finals, won just about everything and instrumental in that sucess, he already has a legacy if he retired from football today (my point being he has nothing to prove to anyone), it was only a few months ago there was talk about him being a future Ballon d'Or winner.

This season is a strange season - Life's changed so much outside football, in football players have probably had to adapt how they train and prepare, there's no fans, had injury problems, no pre-season, was covid positive, being covid positive can have a big effect of athletes performances, see Paul Pogba before Christmas.

Let's see how he does next season.

Last edited:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
And if Walker gets injured we have to rely on TAA possibly against the likes of Mbappe/Coman, Gnabry/Sane, Jota/Neto etc. Are you confident in him dealing with those kind of players? I wouldn't even trust him against someone like Dan James personally.

He's been in 4 of the past 5 squads, clearly it's more than just a case of having a look at him.
Yes...yes I am. Form is temporary, but class is permanent. Liverpool won the champions league with TAA playing RB. I'm sure he can play for England as well. People are too quick to make snap judgments on players. Especially England fans and especially when it comes to players on teams we don't like. I couldn't care less who the guy plays for. Once he puts on the England shirt, that's who he is playing for. People need to learn to separate club from country...

Park's Petrified Pooch

Yes...yes I am. Form is temporary, but class is permanent. Liverpool won the champions league with TAA playing RB. I'm sure he can play for England as well. People are too quick to make snap judgments on players. Especially England fans and especially when it comes to players on teams we don't like. I couldn't care less who the guy plays for. Once he puts on the England shirt, that's who he is playing for. People need to learn to separate club from country...
No. People need to correctly assess a player’s strengths and weaknesses. In respect of this player, his weaknesses were mitigated by the players around him, and more importantly the system functioning correctly leaving him rarely exposed. He’s a very poor defender, both positionally, and technically. He has demonstrate this in his best form going forward and his current poor form. His defensive flaws have always been evident, and they are obvious and easy to exploit.
He’s never displayed any sort of defensive class. From debut to now.
Edit: that’s not to say he’s a poor player IMO. His delivery can be exceptional. Albeit the volume of crosses he was putting in during his peak was so high that some success was expected on sheer probability and the numbers they get in the box. He is a quality attacking fullback. At international level however, he’s got a lot to do to prove he’s got a well rounded enough skill set.

Last edited:

vodrake

You say to separate club from country, but TAA has generally performed poorly to averagely in an England shirt when he has played, as he needs a specific system built around maximizing his strengths and minimizing his weaknesses. Southgate doesn't play a system that really benefits from him. Saying he should be playing for England, purely because he was really good for the league champions a year ago, is entirely a case of not being able to separate club and country.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
You say to separate club from country, but TAA has generally performed poorly to averagely in an England shirt when he has played, as he needs a specific system built around maximizing his strengths and minimizing his weaknesses. Southgate doesn't play a system that really benefits from him. Saying he should be playing for England, purely because he was really good for the league champions a year ago, is entirely a case of not being able to separate club and country.
I'm saying he should be in the squad, especially ahead of Reece James. Walker would be my starter as he's very good all around. But if England is chasing a game and need a goal, TAA is a great option to have on the bench. Way better than any other player England has to offer...

Robbie Boy

Does anyone else feel as though Trent has suffered a bit from being overhyped up last season? Greenwood has had a bit of a reality check this term, especially after what happened with England, so United took him out of the spotlight a bit and now he's looking like getting back on track. Trent on the other hand has been made to play though the whole season whilst not in form as as part of a particularly poor Liverpool side. He's only a young lad so mentally it must be pretty hard to understand.

I heard Carragher the other night suggest that there's no one else in the world, other than KDB, that he'd want on the ball on the right hand side/centre right areas. I mean come on.
A-bit of this for sure. I think that another factor is that his deficiencies were swept under the rug due to his fantastic offensive output. It happens when teams are playing like Liverpool did for two years - people will naturally only focus on the positive aspects of their play/players. Now though, you can see a-lot of deficiencies within their system/personnel because the shit has hit the fan.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I'm saying he should be in the squad, especially ahead of Reece James. Walker would be my starter as he's very good all around. But if England is chasing a game and need a goal, TAA is a great option to have on the bench. Way better than any other player England has to offer...
Walker has played exactly zero minutes at RWB this season. When he's featured for England, it's been as a RCB in the 3. Same applies to TAA - zero minutes at RWB. Why would you shoehorn either of those two into a role they are unfamiliar with, especially when James is entirely comfortable there for club and country?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Walker has played exactly zero minutes at RWB this season. When he's featured for England, it's been as a RCB in the 3. Same applies to TAA - zero minutes at RWB. Why would you shoehorn either of those two into a role they are unfamiliar with, especially when James is entirely comfortable there for club and country?
If Soutgate was going to play a back 5 (which this team is waaaaaay too good for that defensive formation) then the best option would be trippier. But why are we even talking about a back 5 for a team with the fire power that England has???

SirMarcusRashford

Beckhamesk assist last Premier League game, goal scorer and match winner today.

'The shocking decline of Trent Alexander Arnold'.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Beckhamesk assist last Premier League game, goal scorer and match winner today.

'The shocking decline of Trent Alexander Arnold'.
Half your posts so far have been "Isn't Trent great?". The other half have been "Why I want Liverpool to do well in Europe".

You're not doing a particularly great job of pretending to be a United fan on a United forum, mate.

TheReligion

Abusive
Half your posts so far have been "Isn't Trent great?". The other half have been "Why I want Liverpool to do well in Europe".

You're not doing a particularly great job of pretending to be a United fan on a United forum, mate.
Yeah he's an obvious WUM Liverpool fan looking at his history

arnie_ni

What was he even doing up there at left wing anyway? Was it from a corner or something?

bsCallout

Wasn't a good game for him but a fantastic goal. If he isn't moved into CM soon, I don't think he'll get in the England squad.

Acted like he'd proved something to Southgate after that goal. We all know he's fantastically talented on the ball, but smashing one in from the left wing doesn't prove anything about his abilities as a right-back in any system other than Liverpool's. Really think he should be converted to an 8, at least for England. Poor game today before the goal.

Would still probably take him in the Euros squad over Trippier, but Walker should start.

hubbuh

Because Gary Neville knew he lost in the studio and decided to carry it and record it carrying on to save face. Other than the RedCafe, Gary Neville was the laugh of social media yesterday in some of his views (ie TAA/Maguire and Kane).

Never understand comments like this, ie:- 90 mins prove the whole opinions about him is warranted, other than this season TAA has been amazing and amazing in the big games, Barcelona for example.

The guy is 22 years of age, played in 2 Champions League finals (winning 1) and has a Premier League title, TAA was a big part of the reason Liverpool doing this, if he was a dud right back Liverpool would never have gone on to achieve what they have recent seasons, you can't have any passengers in elite football.

United fan songs are the most cringe in football it has to be said.

12 days of Cantona :nervous:
Couldn't have gone any better. All lined up for a English final.

I'm a Manchester United fan first and foremost but I'm also someone who gets behind all English clubs in Europe, if Manchester United win, thats fantastic.

But if Arsenal win, that's 5 Champions League spots for English clubs next year which will be great for the Premier League.
United fan my arse. He's a fecking scouse this one! Burn him!

djembatheking

Wasn't a good game for him but a fantastic goal. If he isn't moved into CM soon, I don't think he'll get in the England squad.
He shouldn`t get in the England squad either , you have to be able to defend at international level and he can`t.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
If Soutgate was going to play a back 5 (which this team is waaaaaay too good for that defensive formation) then the best option would be trippier. But why are we even talking about a back 5 for a team with the fire power that England has???
I agree with you - but the fact is that seems to be the call based on how he's approached qualifiers.

Renegade

He should at CM, in my opinion. That will, or at least should, be his position.
There’s more to CM than spamming crosses. What’s to suggest he can play there at a top level? Reminds me of when everyone used to say Rooney could go on to be this world class midfielder.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Bit lucky on that Trezeguet incident in the pen box. Why would he ever put his foot there?

bsCallout

There’s more to CM than spamming crosses. What’s to suggest he can play there at a top level? Reminds me of when everyone used to say Rooney could go on to be this world class midfielder.
His best attributes look better suited to playing in a midfield three. He's awful defensively at RB.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He's weak as a kitten too
Definitely - not sure a midfield 3 could accommodate the lack of physicality between him and Thiago even with the likes of Fabinho anchoring.

Feels to me like he should be played as a RWB with a back 3 or as a right mid in a 4-4-2. He more or less has to stay on the touchline and has to have protection behind him. Will be interesting to see how Klopp et all approach it from a squad building perspective.

TheReligion

Abusive
Definitely - not sure a midfield 3 could accommodate the lack of physicality between him and Thiago even with the likes of Fabinho anchoring.

Feels to me like he should be played as a RWB with a back 3 or as a right mid in a 4-4-2. He more or less has to stay on the touchline and has to have protection behind him. Will be interesting to see how Klopp et all approach it from a squad building perspective.
He's an ideal Conte player