The shocking decline of Trent Alexander Arnold

marf

Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s playing with a injury.
I think both he and the club would do anything to avoid only having one first choice defender available.

I don’t watch Liverpool a lot so maybe someone can enlighten me, is he usually taken off if they go a couple of goals up?

The Original

I would be a lot happier ripping the piss out of the “shocking decline” of Liverpool’s English prodigy if we didn’t have concerns about a player with a similar profile at Manchester United.

We’ve seen this sort of thing loads of time before. Young phenoms (hate myself for using that word) can have very bad seasons before getting back on track again. It happens.

Is it time to burst Trenty's bubble?

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I think the difficulty with him is that he is absolutely nowhere near the consistency level of Robertson on the other side.

He looks very suspect defensively and without their main centre backs he has been required to defend more than usual. He will be fine once Liverpool get back to full strength.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Good crossing has gone to toilet, constantly hitting the first man or overhitting it, if I was klopp if rest him for a few weeks, only young but looks a bit lost at the moment

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
If anyone is watching him v Burnley, he looks like a supporter who has won an opportunity to play for Liverpool for a night.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
If anyone is watching him v Burnley, he looks like a supporter who has won an opportunity to play for Liverpool for a night.
Absolutely woeful. Needs to be taken out for weeks/months to recuperate but Klopp seems to have lost his mind.

lysglimt

Scout
What was I saying ? This wasn't even his worst game - he was worse against Southampton.

Based Adnan

22/40 crosses into the box vs Burnley were his. Genuinely terrible right now. Looks like a complete liability.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I don't really agree he's declined that much but I'd pay good money if you could post this at RAWK.

Ekeke

When a player is in great form people gloss over some of the weaker areas of the game because they just want to talk about the things hes doing well. Last season TAA was probably the best crosser in the league and provided a goal threat down the right for Liverpool.

When a player is out of form you see all their weaknesses very clearly. TTA needs to be providing very good balls into box because thats what he is and what Liverpool need from their wingbacks. He's an inferior defender to other teams in that position, he's there to put a good ball in the box. And when he is struggling to find a good ball into the box you probably want a different player down the side.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That pass at the end when Liverpool were sending Allison up for corners and passed it straight out of play truly summed up his day.

edcunited1878

Trent Alexander-Valencia? He shouldn't be this poor from a service POV, but who knows. He might not be putting in the work at training anymore or just never did and got by on his talent because it never was tested before...just took it for granted. Defensively, he got merked by McNeil a few times and that's inexcusable.

Should change this thread to The Curious Case of Trent Alexander-Valencia

Teja

Was just watching the highlights and the crosses didn't look that bad even if they didn't really connect. But it was only 5-6 out of the 20+ above, so maybe the majority were really bad.

RooneyLegend

Trent Alexander-Valencia? He shouldn't be this poor from a service POV, but who knows. He might not be putting in the work at training anymore or just never did and got by on his talent because it never was tested before...just took it for granted. Defensively, he got merked by McNeil a few times and that's inexcusable.

Should change this thread to The Curious Case of Trent Alexander-Valencia
He's always been defensively poor. It's why I've always thought Walker should start for England.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I think that the whole Liverpool squad are just shattered not just TAA, they all look shit at the moment.

Klopp's style of football works them incredibly hard and they've hardly stopped for almost three seasons now, so it's not surprising in a season where games are coming unnaturally thick and fast with no real pre-season or summer break that the squad falls off a cliff at some point.

Liverpool look very much like United did at the end of the season when Ole took charge and ran the squad into the ground. It's very hard to see what Klopp can do without giving everyone 2-3 weeks off which of course he can't.

Fun to watch them implode though!

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I’m not sure if this is an over exaggeration or not - but does anyone else think he is the worst player in world football at the moment?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think that the whole Liverpool squad are just shattered not just TAA, they all look shit at the moment.

Klopp's style of football works them incredibly hard and they've hardly stopped for almost three seasons now, so it's not surprising in a season where games are coming unnaturally thick and fast with no real pre-season or summer break that the squad falls off a cliff at some point.

Liverpool look very much like United did at the end of the season when Ole took charge and ran the squad into the ground. It's very hard to see what Klopp can do without giving everyone 2-3 weeks off which of course he can't.

Fun to watch them implode though!
That’s the last thing we need. We’ve never responded well to 2-3 week breaks.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
His crossing is the same it's always been, except he's not putting it where he wants. He crosses into space, but he doesn't know how to cross to the man in space. Before, the other Liverpool players had a little more peps, not anymore.

Watch him. He's always going in blind.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
That’s the last thing we need. We’ve never responded well to 2-3 week breaks.
Can you see them recovering from this though? they look like the whole team's legs are at about 5% battery!

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Or did he over performed? Or perhaps opponents can now read his game far better?

I remember that Utd put two markers on him all match long and he (and his team) wasnt veryproductive. It was last season I think (when he was supposedly at his peak).

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Can you see them recovering from this though? they look like the whole team's legs are at about 5% battery!
It’s not tiredness imo. Players are taking extra touches, making silly mistakes etc due to a dip in form and confidence. You don’t go from being favourites to run away with it after a 7-0 away win, to dead batteries with a flip of a switch. We had enough of the ball in good areas to make things happen and have done in all of these games lately but we’re making the wrong decisions in those situations.

The finishing has been horrible in front of goal as well. We had 27 shots against Burnley and only 6 on target. We had more possession, more touches, more passes, more corners. That’s not a sign that a side is tiring. We’re lacking sharpness up top more than anything.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Or did he over performed? Or perhaps opponents can now read his game far better?

I remember that Utd put two markers on him all match long and he (and his team) wasnt veryproductive. It was last season I think (when he was supposedly at his peak).
To be fair it's a testament to his influence on the game if United shadowed him with two players. I do think you have a point when it comes to reading his game, but this is something all talents go through when the opposition are trying to curtail their impact on matches. I think he's quality but going through a slump, along with the Liverpool team at large.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
To be fair it's a testament to his influence on the game if United shadowed him with two players. I do think you have a point when it comes to reading his game, but this is something all talents go through when the opposition are trying to curtail their impact on matches. I think he's quality but going through a slump, along with the Liverpool team at large.
Perhaps opponents underestimating him contributed to him being influential. Like Barca did with that corner.

lysglimt

Scout
This thread is fecking stupid.
Why ? Liverpool-fans thought he was one of the best players on the planet 12 months ago - now they want him benched. In my opinion - that is an insane decline. Missing every single cross (all 18 of them) - defensively hopeless - that is one insane dip in form compared to where he has been the last 2 seasons

Jonno

He's never been good defensively, and now he's as bad as ever. Players like Dwight McNeil just jogging past him without trace.

His world class delivery would paper over the poor defending, but now his delivery has gone west, his finishing too, he literally has nothing.

He's better than he is showing, he'll no doubt improve, but I worry that Klopp has over-used him this past 3 years. Perhaps should have been rotated/rested and not run into the ground.