The shocking decline of Trent Alexander Arnold

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
BBC poll from last year for who would take the mantle from Messi and Ronaldo as the standalone best player in world football into the next decade:

:lol:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He can be an outstanding player when on song but he's heavily reliant on a good system built around him and an excellent CB covering his obvious defensive frailties, which isn't necessariy a stick to beat him with, there's plenty of good system players. I don't think he's England's greatest ever right back and I don't think he's one of the best right backs ever, either.

alexthelion

He's usually fine going forwards but, unfortunately for him, his position necessitates that he also defends which he cannot do to save his life.

Very, very overrated one-dimensional full back.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Ain't got Big man Virgil covering for him at the back.

When you watch him carefully, you realize that while he has genuinely good crossing technique, he makes blind passes into space. He does not play it where the player is going, he just plays it hoping someone's gonna be going in that direction. It worked for a while but it's not anymore.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He can be an outstanding player when on song but he's heavily reliant on a good system built around him and an excellent CB covering his obvious defensive frailties, which isn't necessariy a stick to beat him with, there's plenty of good system players. I don't think he's England's greatest ever right back and I don't think he's one of the best right backs ever, either.
Did someone say he's "the best ever RB"? If they did, I wouldn't get too worked up over it. He's a very good player but has a long way to go to have those kind of statements. With that in mind, as much as some may have overhyped him, this entire thread is nothing more than a lot of people under hyping him...

Giggsy13

I think the consistent piss take of the scousers, which of course is enjoyable, is going to fly in your face next year when they mount another title challenge and we’ve dithered in the transfer market again.

shaky

I think the consistent piss take of the scousers, which of course is enjoyable, is going to fly in your face next year when they mount another title challenge and we’ve dithered in the transfer market again.
They will be nowhere near the title next season. They'll fall into the trap we did for a while, the one where you convince yourself that players who were good a couple of years ago will somehow just rediscover that form, despite all recent evidence pointing to the fact that they are just not the same players any more. Then, due to a lack of owner investment, top 4 starts seeming like an achievement again and winning major titles looks more and more like a pipedream rather than an expectation.

Holocene

Did someone say he's "the best ever RB"? If they did, I wouldn't get too worked up over it. He's a very good player but has a long way to go to have those kind of statements. With that in mind, as much as some may have overhyped him, this entire thread is nothing more than a lot of people under hyping him...
I haven't heard any Liverpool fans say he's the best ever. But I've heard them compare him to Becks and Scholes. They're a strange bunch.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I would be mightly suprised and impressed if that happened. This is not a slump in form, it runs much deeper than that and wont be fixed just by a summers rest.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
There's zero chance this happens without major investment.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is one of the worst defenders they've had over the years, and they've had some really bad defenders.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm not even sure he has declined that much, he was never a good defender in the first place.

Their CB's and fabinho/henderson did all the defending for him, he just stayed high and slung in passes and crosses into the box regularly (which he's good at)

Now they look more like a normal team and are penetrable, his weaknesses are showing. He's far too casual when defending.

He's basically a winger. With Van Dijk covering for him and Liverpool piling forward at every opportunity he's great, but ask him to actually defend and you're in trouble. He can't figure out when to balance attack and defence and ends up being poor at both.

hubbuh

You would still swap him with WB
He'd make our already suspect defence even more shaky so I'm not sure what the point would be. We don't have the players to account for his weaknesses. Van Dijk and Fabinho/Henderson cover his arse most of the time. He wouldn't be afforded that protection at United.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I love how TAA is allowed to have a bad season because he's 22 and been playing a ton of games, while this same forum calls Rashford a donkey in a season where he is with 18 goals, all the while playing week in, week out for three seasons through shoulder and back injuries.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I love how TAA is allowed to have a bad season because he's 22 and been playing a ton of games, while this same forum calls Rashford a donkey in a season where he is with 18 goals, all the while playing week in, week out for three seasons through shoulder and back injuries.
Why bring up the excuses for Rashford but not for Alexander-Arnold? Had corona, then a month out with a leg injury, and his usual CB pairing is out for the season. His slump in form is (one of) the result(s) of our bad run, not the cause.

What's said in here is definitely true though - he was world class going forward in a side that played to his strengths, but that's a lot harder now we're struggling and Van Dijk and Gomez are out. Hopefully he works on his defensive skills this offseason (or transitions to a more advanced position). He's always been suspect at balls over the top of his head for example and that's just down to positioning most of the time.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Why bring up the excuses for Rashford but not for Alexander-Arnold? Had corona, then a month out with a leg injury, and his usual CB pairing is out for the season. His slump in form is (one of) the result(s) of our bad run, not the cause.
I'm not criticizing TAA, I have more than enough empathy for athletes struggling due to fixture overload in these scrunched up seasons, I'm more pointing out the abuse Rashford gets from our own fans on here.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I'm not criticizing TAA, I have more than enough empathy for athletes struggling due to fixture overload in these scrunched up seasons, I'm more pointing out the abuse Rashford gets from our own fans on here.
Ah, fair enough. He hasn't benefited from having to be the talisman or focus point for a club like Utd from such a young age imo. The talent is obviously there, but can understand why fans get frustrated sometimes too.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’ve always thought his defending was naff, last season he was totally overhyped because he can play a good cross. His overall game isn’t even that good. Apart from the defence not covering him anymore due to injuries he’s also got the front 3 looking like they couldn’t be bothered anymore. So he’s being found out when the system isn’t working

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

What's said in here is definitely true though - he was world class going forward in a side that played to his strengths, but that's a lot harder now we're struggling and Van Dijk and Gomez are out. Hopefully he works on his defensive skills this offseason (or transitions to a more advanced position). He's always been suspect at balls over the top of his head for example and that's just down to positioning most of the time.
All that plus your front 3 look like they’ve had enough. It’s making TAA be found out as a limited player who is good in a well oiled system but sticks out like a sore thumb when the system isn’t working

He's proof of what an incredible job the Klopp system can do of masking a players weaknesses and emphasising their strengths, when it's firing that is. It's why clubs bought his players from Dortmund and ended up utterly miffed at how utterly average they were outside of that.

Take a few players out of Liverpool and stick them in say Juventus and you'll quickly see plenty of Kagawa/Mihki/Sahin/Götze situations.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I thought the plan was always to move him into the midfield ?
Hes awful as a defender.
Bad at every aspect of defending.

Ed9

Reverse Wan Bissaka. What a player would've been if two if them merged Goku style. One man right hand side.
And who'd be the other poor guy left with TAA's defending and AWB's attacking? Jabba The Hutt? James Milner?