The shocking decline of Trent Alexander Arnold

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
He's missing VVD isn't he?
It's not quite the same having those two CBs behind you if defending isn't your strong suit. A little naive for Liverpool not to adjust their setup to that situation.

Dan_F

He’s all over the place tonight. And not in a good way.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
He's clearly very talented but he's never going to be a great defender, indeed he never became a proper right back till he was about 17, before that he was a midfielder.

He's basically a guy who doesn't easily fit into modern football, a few years ago he'd have been a Beckham type winger but they don't really exist in the modern game so he's pushed into a right back position. Which in the right system with the right players he clearly can excel at but this has been excellent vindication for Southgate's dropping him despite all the criticism he got for it. If you aren't going to play that exact system (and do it well) then his use to the team shifts from positive to negative.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Walker is first choice right back for England. He is considerably better than Trippier or TAA
I agree 100% and Walker is and should be playing.

My point being that, if one of the others play, then England need an extra defender (usually Walker at cb) because the other full backs can’t defend. Walker is class, in my opinion, either as fb or cb.

kidbob

Nothings changed for him except his incredible output offensively has dropped but his defending is exactly at the level it has always been. If he wants to further his career at the top level then he has to be trained to be a midfielder. He has never been good enough defensively to be a top class right back for his whole career.

AgentSmith

I didn't catch the game, was wondering what goal to watch first.

Let me start from the first :lol:
The first is harsh because he’s not solely to blame but definitely still at fault. The second is pure comedy hour.

Don’t think the 3rd had anything to do with him from memory. More a Phillips and Alisson special.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Good lad Trent. Securing James spot in the Euro's squad ever so tightly with every passing game.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Out of possession he's a fullback but in (possession) he's practically a 3rd man on the right side of a midfield 3.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Carraghers loyalty to him is daft. It has been clear since his introduction to this Liverpool side that he's a poor defender and it's embarassing to not admit it is a problem. He can get away with it in this Liverpool team when everyone is at their max level (Inc. VVD) but in an already shaky England defence it would not be a pretty sight.

FatTails

Him and Kabak were so shit today. Had Madrid been more clinical, they would’ve been completely out of sight in the first half.

galwayfa

Him and Kabak were so shit today. Had Madrid been more clinical, they would’ve been completely out of sight in the first half.
Like Barcelona should have been, they still in it, but do think Madrid score in 2nd leg

vodrake

Watching Madrid casually stroll through the gaping hole he left at the back whenever they felt like it, you begin to see why a pragmatic manager like Southgate might not fancy him

Great player in a system that dominates the attack and stays on the front foot, bit of a liability otherwise

Wayne's World

One of the worst RB I've ever seen and I said this after Roma beat Liverpool 5-2 ( or whatever it was that night) in the CL semi-final 2nd leg.

Nothing has changed my mind, a liability

VivaRonaldo85

Great crosser of a football and useful from a set piece. But England have James Ward Prowse for those attributes. His defending is very naive and is being shown up by Liverpool missing their two dominant centre halves. If I was Gareth Southgate I wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole. Carragher was totally affected by Liverpool tinted glasses in his defence of TAA on MNF last night.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
One of the worst RB I've ever seen and I said this after Roma beat Liverpool 5-2 ( or whatever it was that night) in the CL semi-final 2nd leg.

Nothing has changed my mind, a liability
Do you mean that in a defensive sense? Over all if you're looking at 2018-2020 he's been one of the best around in his position. More recently he's been exposed as lacking defensively.

He's become a very easy target for good teams to expose without Van Dijk & Gomez covering his space.

Longshanks

He got a good technique and an absolute wand of a right foot, defensively though a liability, still young and I'm sure his defending will improve but will always be a weakness I feel, kind of the opposite problem we have we A.W.B.

If you can cover for him with some pacey CB's and a couple of defensive midfielders a la last season then hes worth it because his right foot will make goals, if you cant though than the gaping holes on his side of defence will hurt you.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Can we replace the word “shocking” in the title with “hilarious”?

Bwuk

Said if for years they should play him in midfield. He’s too easy to target as a full back.

Djemba-Djemba

They've made this whole thing a bigger media storm by having Klopp and the likes of Carragher in the media act like dropping Alexander Arnold is some grave insult by Southgate.

All it's done is heap more pressure on him and after his nightmare tonight it just makes him look worse and makes Carragher look like a moron.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Personally i want all Utd players dropped and have the summer off!
Ah, I see what you men, but I think for a player like James who is still finding his way in the game, experiencing the Euro's would be great for his development, especially if he features regularly.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Just checking, is 'Trent' still better than Beckham? :rolleyes: