The shocking decline of Trent Alexander Arnold

Kag

He’s in the unenviable position now in which every positive or negative contribution is magnified and overblown depending on which side of the fence you sit. Through no real fault of his own either.

Klopp has to take a lot of responsibility for that, to be honest. He’d have been better served by praising him when asked and leaving it there.

I’d take him to the Euros, for what it’s worth. But Neville’s analysis of him the other night was spot on. In a one off match against quality opposition (like last night) you wouldn’t have much faith in him as part of a back four.

He’s in the unenviable position now in which every positive or negative contribution is magnified and overblown depending on which side of the fence you sit. Through no real fault of his own either.

Klopp has to take a lot of responsibility for that, to be honest. He’d have been better served by praising him when asked and leaving it there.

I’d take him to the Euros, for what it’s worth. But Neville’s analysis of him the other night was spot on. In a one off match against quality opposition (like last night) you wouldn’t have much faith in him as part of a back four.
I didn’t need Carragher’s defence of him on MNF, but clearly that was as a result of Klopp’s defence of him - which was really misjudged.

he’s been awful for a year. Southgate gets accused of sticking to his favourites, and here’s a clear example of his picking a player of what he sees, not his reputation.

I wouldn’t take him to the Euros. Walker is a certainty, can play in a back 3, Trippier can also play on the left and James had had a very good season.

Mike Smalling

It would actually be a completely reasonable decision for Southgate to leave him at home for the Euro's. Trent is the type of player that is great against lesser opposition, because his final ball can help unlock deep defenses and his lack of defensive ability is less likely to hurt the team. But England will not be playing teams that are way below them in the Euros - especially after the group stage. Starting with Walker and having Trippier or James as the back-up would make a lot of sense.

Kag

I didn’t need Carragher’s defence of him on MNF, but clearly that was as a result of Klopp’s defence of him - which was really misjudged.

he’s been awful for a year. Southgate gets accused of sticking to his favourites, and here’s a clear example of his picking a player of what he sees, not his reputation.

I wouldn’t take him to the Euros. Walker is a certainty, can play in a back 3, Trippier can also play on the left and James had had a very good season.
It’s on Klopp, certainly. Carragher is a pundit who is paid to debate important stories at any given time. Alexander-Arnold being dropped is a big story and certainly one worth discussing on MNF. I think some people are guilty of forgetting this when sticking it to Carragher. Klopp, however, should know better than to fan the flames.

I’d take him ahead of James, ultimately. Walker is probably the best in a back four. Tripper is the most suited to play at wing back. Then it’s a toss up between Alexander-Arnold and James. If we were 1 down to a Spain or Belgium in the quarters then I’d be looking at the bench to see who could change the game and make an impact. Alexander-Arnold could be that player, moreso than James, in my opinion.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Yep. Klopp - and to a lesser degree Carragher - have magnified the scope on him now. It’s totally unfair to a player still so young from two people who supposedly have vested interest in the club.

His performances were on a gradual incline back to decency after his abysmal first half of the year, with little fuss being made. Klopp opens his gurning gob and Carragher cries for him live on television and Trent follows up with one of his worst performances of the season.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He was very poor last night, hard not to think the fact the heated debate with Neville and Carragher on him was all over social media that it was'nt in the back of his head. He is still young but his weaknesses have really come to light this season and he is now targeted by the opposition.

Ananke

Agreed with all of that. Problem with TAA is he justifies his quality with his assists and offensive ability. So whenever he contributes to a goal he'll be praised and whenever his defensive ability comes into question (commonly) he'll be slammed. First things first as a 'defender' is to defend. You're just going to be prime target for bigger teams to exploit otherwise.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Why would you? He's unplayable against decent opponents and not needed against lousy opponents when England won't need his offensive contributions to score

Robbie Boy

His defensive deficiencies weren't being exposed so much when Liverpool were dominating. However, his performances have been quite poor a long while now and because Liverpool are struggling, he's being badly exposed.

Eplel

He's always been a defensive liability. The shit AWB gets for being bad in attack, TAA deserves for his defensive performance.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I went to a Napoli v Liverpool game at Murrayfield a few years ago as some of my mates like Napoli. In that game, Napoli targeted the gap behind TAA all the time and got so much joy down his side, the space in behind was ridiculous and nearly every time he was beaten in a 1v1 defensively.

These deficiencies are still in his game and teams are targeting it with regularity now. He's great going forward with a wand of a right foot, but my word he cannot defend. I'd retrain him as a right winger or a midfielder, or have him RWB.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He's practically a midfielder when in possession of the ball, more so when Liverpool are high up the pitch and hemming teams back.

I think long-term Liverpool will have him start, in and out of possession, as a 3rd man on the right side of a midfield 3 and bring in another fullback.

RUCK4444

The attacking fullback fad is slowly fading as i foretold... defenders need to defend first and foremost, that’s always been a weakness of TAA and it will get found out eventually.

City have a better mix of attack and defensive traits in their fullbacks imo.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
His defensive deficiencies weren't being exposed so much when Liverpool were dominating. However, his performances have been quite poor a long while now and because Liverpool are struggling, he's being badly exposed.
He was being exploited defensively even when Pool were doing well. Teams were just somehow missing the chances created from his errors and Liverpool were still winning the games. He got torn apart by Hoilett and Mendez Laing a couple years ago v Cardiff (The game where Morrison missed a sitter then gave a pen away). He struggled massively defensively around that time but nothing was made of it because it wasn't affecting the results.

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
Spot on... when a good fast winger gets him one on one he is terrible defensively.

Robbie Boy

He was being exploited defensively even when Pool were doing well. Teams were just somehow missing the chances created from his errors and Liverpool were still winning the games. He got torn apart by Hoilett and Mendez Laing a couple years ago v Cardiff (The game where Morrison missed a sitter then gave a pen away). He struggled massively defensively around that time but nothing was made of it because it wasn't affecting the results.
Don't get me wrong, his defensive shortcomings were being exposed, but nowhere near as much as they are now. I suppose too, when Liverpool were at their peak, TAA was contributing brilliantly in an offensive sense - so any defensive errors wouldn't be highlighted as much. I've never been sold on him defensively but I didn't realise he was quite this bad.

Nick7

England play three at the back don’t they? There’s a spot for him at wingback there.

vodrake

The attacking fullback fad is slowly fading as i foretold... defenders need to defend first and foremost, that’s always been a weakness of TAA and it will get found out eventually.

City have a better mix of attack and defensive traits in their fullbacks imo.
Yeah, this time last year supposedly the only way to play modern football was to have a winger with no defensive responsibilities at fullback. Now, with City's success with a more balanced lineup and even the resurgence of Shaw for us, it already seems to be a bit out of fashion.

Just goes to show that most tactical expertise on football forums extends only as far as "what's currently popular"

SirMarcusRashford

They've made this whole thing a bigger media storm by having Klopp and the likes of Carragher in the media act like dropping Alexander Arnold is some grave insult by Southgate.

All it's done is heap more pressure on him and after his nightmare tonight it just makes him look worse and makes Carragher look like a moron.
And how does it make Carragher look like a moron?

Have you not seen TAA play football before this season? Have you not seen Liverpool's recent sucess with TAA playing as RB? This couldn't have happened if he wasn't just a 'little bit' good.

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
Liverpool need to cash in on some of thes UCL and league winning players
TAA and Mane come to mind. I am sure there are more.

Djemba-Djemba

Have you not seen TAA play football before this season? Have you not seen Liverpool's recent sucess with TAA playing as RB? This couldn't have happened if he wasn't just a 'little bit' good.
Because Carragher on Monday was ranting and raving about how embarrassing it would be if England didn't play Alexander Arnold and acting outraged at him being dropped.

And then 24 hours later Alexander Arnold has an absolute horror show of a performance. He's had an awful awful season and would be targeted by any team England face this summer.

You're having an absolute mare over this Carragher vs Neville thing by the way.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

When Arnold was doing well as a defender, Liverpool were on the front foot, controlling the ball and he had decent players covering for him when he went forward, Liverpool were basically playing in the opponents half and Arnold was hardly a defender.

lose that team around him, the intensity and that cover and not on the front foot and now he’s getting totally exposed as a defender.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You guys are arguing with a guy who supported Liverpool in UCL finals

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Claims of TAA being a horrible defender are just overblown nonsense. He has some competency in that area. But his form has gone to shit on both sides of the ball.

He's still quality though.

RUCK4444

Yeah, this time last year supposedly the only way to play modern football was to have a winger with no defensive responsibilities at fullback. Now, with City's success with a more balanced lineup and even the resurgence of Shaw for us, it already seems to be a bit out of fashion.

Just goes to show that most tactical expertise on football forums extends only as far as "what's currently popular"
Exactly, the bolded tends to be the way. I was told categorically that we would see a huge improvement with the arrival of Telles and his ability going forward. All we saw were holes he left at the back, I would hazard a guess AWB (who many claim is woeful going forward) has created more chances and assists than Telles.

Like everything there needs to be a balance to it. Nothing wrong if you have an outstanding fullback who can do both aspects of the game, great, but it's a position that dictates a greater requirement for defence first and foremost.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
but but but he has a wand of a right foot and can cross the ball like the second coming of a prime David Beckham ?!

Mr. Ant

What decline? He was always a midfielder with good cross and shot on him playing as a full back.

He was always shocking as a defender but it didn't matter because Liverpool were dominating all over the pitch.
Right now he is being targeted by opposition and rightfully so.
But it's on the manager to change something when it's clearly not working.

Last edited:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Exactly, the bolded tends to be the way. I was told categorically that we would see a huge improvement with the arrival of Telles and his ability going forward. All we saw were holes he left at the back, I would hazard a guess AWB (who many claim is woeful going forward) has created more chances and assists than Telles.

Like everything there needs to be a balance to it. Nothing wrong if you have an outstanding fullback who can do both aspects of the game, great, but it's a position that dictates a greater requirement for defence first and foremost.
I believe up to very recently Telles is our most creative player after Bruno Rash and Shaw. Says more about our attackers if you ask me. James has shot right up the list after about 10 games

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Why has a supposed United fan spent two days defending fecking TAA :lol:
There are supposed ManUtd fans defending everything related to City from at least last 5 years, so this is nothing.

RUCK4444

I believe up to very recently Telles is our most creative player after Bruno Rash and Shaw. Says more about our attackers if you ask me. James has shot right up the list after about 10 games
Really? I wouldn't say 2 assists in 17 league games with zero goals is much to shout home about. Those assists were likely from corners as well.

I wouldn't say he's been terrible but really the most productive thing he's done since arriving is kick Luke up the arse who is in every aspect a much better player than Telles.