Television The Sinner

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Finished this Netflix show a couple of days ago, thought it was excellent. For once a new show felt like it had a beginning, middle and sufficient end instead of only annoying open ended capacity for another season.

stu_1992

Finished this Netflix show a couple of days ago, thought it was excellent. For once a new show felt like it had a beginning, middle and sufficient end instead of only annoying open ended capacity for another season.
I'd agree with everything besides the highlighted part. Cora's story wrapped up well(ish) but I found it odd that they then decided to hint at stuff in the detectives past to leave it open for a second season based on him. Not sure I'd be interested in that, but it's apparently happening.

Really good show overall. I was gripped to it, though felt kind of uneasy through a lot of it.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I really liked it to begin with but the more of the story they revealed the dumber it got I felt.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
I'd agree with everything besides the highlighted part. Cora's story wrapped up well(ish) but I found it odd that they then decided to hint at stuff in the detectives past to leave it open for a second season based on him. Not sure I'd be interested in that, but it's apparently happening.

Really good show overall. I was gripped to it, though felt kind of uneasy through a lot of it.
Yeah I've read something about that, but if that did happen it would at least be, what I'd assume to be quite a different plot altogether than the first series which means you can really take it or leave it without missing out or without them sacrificing elements of the first season to drag it out. I'm really thinking of shows like Stranger Things when I say this where you can watch the end of the series and it seems like nothing really concludes at all then rinse and repeat for the next series.

I thought that the relationship between Cora and Phoebe seemed sadly realistic and really well done too. Some characters weren't so great like her husband aka poundland Jon Snow and your man from Eurotrip was a bit weird. Definitely a gripping show as you say though and well worth the watch!

parkthebuslads

It was OK but I didn't love how it resorted to dishonest and misleading storytelling.

Number1

Watched it over Christmas, loved it, probably the best new show i seen 2017.

Also I'll type this here as i want to avoid spoilers in the Altered Carbon thread, but 2 episodes in that and i just can't get into it all, none of the characters are sticking, i forget who they are straight away (or they may come back as someone else) and in general i just can't work out whats going off, it's like too many things are being thrown at you all at once - Surprised i can't get into it, as I'm well into my sci-fi stuff and many people have recommended it.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Watched it over Christmas, loved it, probably the best new show i seen 2017.

Also I'll type this here as i want to avoid spoilers in the Altered Carbon thread, but 2 episodes in that and i just can't get into it all, none of the characters are sticking, i forget who they are straight away (or they may come back as someone else) and in general i just can't work out whats going off, it's like too many things are being thrown at you all at once - Surprised i can't get into it, as I'm well into my sci-fi stuff and many people have recommended it.
I've seen a few complaints like that, my mate said subtitles helped him keep track for the first few episodes until it stuck. I haven't seen it yet so will probably start with subs just in case.

parkthebuslads

In what sense?
Hmm. Been a little while since I watched but I recall one particularly dramatic ending to an episode which finished with the dialogue: "We were being hunted", which turned out to not to be the case at all.

I thought they used her questionable memory like that a few times.

SteveTheRed

I enjoyed it, wasn't that pleased with the ending but it's still worth a watch.

Quite typical of these shows where the whole time you are trying to figure out who did it? Who was involved? then at the last minute they introduce a new character who turns out to be pivotal in the whole thing.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I thought it was both very good in parts, but also really feckin' dumb in purge parts.

Like for example...

why did Cora's parents randomly decide to not tell the detective that Phoebe left with her that night?

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
I thought it was both very good in parts, but also really feckin' dumb in purge parts.

Like for example...

why did Cora's parents randomly decide to not tell the detective that Phoebe left with her that night?
Bit weird that the parents never asked Cora about Phoebe too after coming back into Cora' life with the trial and all. I mean most likely it's bad writing (or I'm forgetting something) but if I may speculate to fill in the blanks, maybe a part of them was relieved to not be having to deal with the stress of caring for her constantly any more, and believing that they had gone to Florida as the Mum says was just the kind of willfully ignorant thing that they needed to believe. Kind of.. 'don't ask, don't tell' type thing.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
I loved it, the only annoying character was the rip-off Jon Snow lookalike.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
How can they do a second season though? Seems like it would be forced.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
How can they do a second season though? Seems like it would be forced.
it's a brand new storyline right? Biel isn't in it, just Pullman doing a new case. I don't see why not as long as there's no affiliation with the season one case.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
it's a brand new storyline right? Biel isn't in it, just Pullman doing a new case. I don't see why not as long as there's no affiliation with the season one case.
Ah that makes sense. The storyline with him being dommed by that prostitute was a bit random in the first season.

Massive Spanner

Ah that makes sense. The storyline with him being dommed by that prostitute was a bit random in the first season.
:lol: that was pretty weird. I did like his character though so I think it's good that he's back and they haven't gone all True Detective and abandoned everything good about season one.

Sanche7

I hope they don't go the same path as season 1,as in
something happened to the boy in the past and he is acting out, PTSD and all that. Unfortunately I can see the story going in that direction

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Watched this first season recently. The show did feel like it had a beginning, middle and an end but unfortunately the middle had feck all in it. It means for a slightly more effective end when something finally happens, but it isn't even that much of an exciting revelation.

Enjoyable overall though.

Last edited:

Sanche7

Season 2 has been a disappointment for me
Expected better but as of now its really slow with nothing much happening
Things can change obviously, but I don't see this season coming close to the first in terms of quality

Massive Spanner

Season 2 has been a disappointment for me
Expected better but as of now its really slow with nothing much happening
Things can change obviously, but I don't see this season coming close to the first in terms of quality
yeah it's very meh, started off well but it's been painfully slow and dull for the last few eps. Not a patch on the first.

Sylar

Watched the 2 seasons over the last few days. Really enjoyed it overall. Some crazy weird stuff like seeing Pullmans character going to get pain sessions in s1.

S2 I kinda guessed 'the twist' but was still decent watching. The kid was creepy but did it well.

Guessing there will be a s3 as well next year.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Anyone think the young lad in the second season needed lip balm?

El-Manos

It’s good but not excellent like many claim. Season 2 had a lot of promise but lost me a bit after episode 4, still finished it though.

izec

Nice watch if you are bored, but nothing to write home about. Season 1 was better than 2 for me, neither was great though or bad

Sylar

The length of the show makes it good too
Doesn't feel like too much filler and you're left with more answers than questions

Enjoyed both seasons

Roosney

In the middle of the first season, I agree with @Dirty Schwein that the more you know about the plot the more stupid it becomes.

Some good acting though, Cora's mom is excellent.

Sylar

Season 3 has started and only just realised (accidentally)
Looks like its got Matt Bomer (White Collar)

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I was the total opposite, I enjoyed S1, as silly as it was, but found S2 very dull and gave up half way through.
I think I appreciated the tightness of the story in season 2 - which for the most part made more sense then season 1.

Also it didn't have Bill Pullman's weird/pointless pain fetish!