The slow and steady slide into total mediocrity

fergiesarmy1

It maybe of no consequence to him, but the point I was making was it's of considerable consequence to (certain) players who don't seem to care about winning as long as the money keeps rolling in - as pioneered back in the day by Winston Bogarde at Chelsea and then taken to the ultimate level by Sanchez, at Utd.
So Ole is the boy to clear out these money whores I’d say. He could have doubled his money at spurs but choose to stay and fight for the club, who else would you want in these days of 21 year olds with 62k watches?

fredrojo

Supports
Aberdeen
So Ole is the boy to clear out these money whores I’d say. He could have doubled his money at spurs but choose to stay and fight for the club, who else would you want in these days of 21 year olds with 62k watches?
Is OGS going to clear out Rashford? who seems to be the 1st name on the team sheet...

P.S. the 62k watch to which you refer was a Rolex and stolen by an 18 year old !!! https://www.90min.com/posts/6466954...ing-teammate-kasper-dolberg-s-62k-rolex-watch or was it just a coincidence you picked that figure?

fergiesarmy1

Is OGS going to clear out Rashford? who seems to be the 1st name on the team sheet...

P.S. the 62k watch to which you refer was a Rolex and stolen by an 18 year old !!! https://www.90min.com/posts/6466954...ing-teammate-kasper-dolberg-s-62k-rolex-watch or was it just a coincidence you picked that figure?
No I’ve already commented my thoughts on the watch incident, who has Ole got to choose from up front? I’d say it’s a lack of options rather than settling on Rashford.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Think we skipped the slow and steady part and just partied straight into mediocreville already, with bells on.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Oh great, lets appoint the manager who inherited a team with multiple consecutive titles and did nothing but continue on auto pilot whilst serving up a brand of football that makes Mourinho's teams look exciting.
Juve reached two UCL finals with Allegri and kept winning the italian league vs the best Napoli since 84-90.

Davìd Moyéz

The Pereira/Lingard/Mata thing sums up the slide into mediocrity. I can't remember ever having a trio of players synonymous with each other for being equally mediocre.

All the time people do team predictions with one of the spots filled by 'Mata/Lingard/Pereira' as if it's an accepted fact that they're the same thing. We're all apathetic about which one plays because nobody really expects any of them to have any output.

Two are in the squad because they can run a bit and came through the academy. The other is in the squad because he used to be a good creative player and seems to be an all round nice fellow. None of them would look above (or even up to) the level of an Everton player which for me is the definition of mediocrity.

ROFLUTION

Ed is acting too slow in the market.

We could have bought say Maddison this summer, and used this year to develop him.

We have the money and we'll go after him next summer just like we did with Maguire, so its just bad management of money, time and team like with Maguire who could also had made José's life easier.

Ed is just too slow in the market. Because of this, a 2 year plan becomes a 3 year plan, etc

fergiesarmy1

We could have bought say Maddison this summer, and used this year to develop him.

We have the money and we'll go after him next summer just like we did with Maguire, so its just bad management of money, time and team like with Maguire who could also had made José's life easier.

Ed is just too slow in the market. Because of this, a 2 year plan becomes a 3 year plan, etc
It was pretty clear maguire was needed last year but he waited another year to buy him at a higher price this year which delayed the defensive transition a year.

Only 2 reasons at that level of investment this happens, financial - he had to wait a year to meet glazer targets or ineptitude.

Could be a combination though.

RedWat

We are 3 points off top 4.
yep but we are also 3 points off the bottom 4. As was said earlier the fans don’t mind if they see progress i.e the team trying to play effectively to the system the manager has set.

Sometimes the building blocks of successful teams is when the manager has a clear vision of how he wants the team to play but is aware it may take 3/4 transfer windows to buy the right players (or to nurture current players ) to slot into place into the squad(and of course off loading those surplus to requirements

Pep & Klopp has been doing this over the past few years.

They are aware players that are seen as very good (even those that are seen as world class ) are not necessarily the right players for their system so they are not interested at times with the “star player” that has indicated he wants to move (i doubt either of them would have bought Paul Pogba). Ole seems to have desire to purchase/play youngsters. Which is great to an extent but play them in what system, as that currently seems non existent.

Last edited by a moderator:

fallengt

What the feck could fans do?
At best we can start some campaign on Twitter but it won't do jack shit.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
So your suggestion is even with the evidence in front of you that the team was not performing we should have just kept the managers?

Every single one that has gone deserved to go and probably sooner than they did. And Ole will be exactly the same. Maybe the squad isn’t good enough but I would expect more from this group of players. We can’t even pass the ball.
There, you said it 'the team were not performing'. I'm not defending the managers, by the way. I'm saying that the culture at the club has changed. The board is clueless and the players turn up when they feel like it or serve shit on a stick when they're not in the mood. They know they'll get away with it.

We can go on from ex to the next with managers, but unless the club structure and dressing room culture change results are not going to improve.

The board need to come up with a vision, bring in the relevent personnel that can implement it. Players need to step up or be held accountable.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Its a strange one, huh. It cannot be players as well, as apart from De Gea and Jones no one else is from the Fergie era. Our team is significantly different from then. I can't even say its the board and owners as we have spent nearly a billion on players, and it's not like we've bought shit players either.
Yes, it can be the players.

The board and owners have spent nearly a billion signing or giving silly money to has been players (Bastian Schweinsteiger, Sanchez), prima Donna's (Di Maria and yes, Pogba), with a lot of poor quality signings (do I even need to start naming them?). There have been some good players that are not the right fit for the system or carrying injuries, and have been shipped out.

Spending a lot and buying good value are not the same thing.

Then to add insult to injury the mediocrity is being rewarded with ludicrous contracts. The team with the fourth highest wage bill in the world is likely to miss top six.

We are mismanaged, and I don't trust this board to make a decent managerial appointment or, if they stumbled on the right man, to provide the structure and support needed for succeed.

Edit: just look at the state of the team. Almost a billion in signings and were relying on teenagers.

Last edited:

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
None of the managers at the time they were hired were good enough. You can only look to see where each one ended up after they got sacked from here. When we appoint the right manager things will start to fall into place.
Then the board has to take the blame for hiring them. They can't be trusted to make a sensible choice.

meamth

Where does it say that? If you are clueless as a manager, then get your crap together and get a clue. If you are stupid, get smart.
Trash thread. Again, you look at the discussion is the same as other thread. Pointless.
Hypothetical threads like this, are pure drama queens.

You put out your thoughts, asking other people's thoughts about mediocrity.
Well here's my thought, nobody gives a shyte about your thoughts.

At least I'm not that shallow calling other people stupid.

If you are stupid, get smart? :boring:

Caesar2290

Ugh, I have to defend Ed on this one, but I fully disagree.

Ed has shown that he can sign lot’s of players if the manager is clear who he wants.

We’ve seen it with LvG and Mou in his first 2 seasons.

This year was different. Ole knew what defensive signings he wanted, but wasn’t quite sure on the offensive ones.

This is why we were linked with Ben Yeder and Dembele, but didn’t sign them. Same thing can be said about Bruno Fernandes.

Also it’s worth noting that Alexis was shipped off after the transfer window closed. I sincerely doubt that Ed shipped him off without Ole’a approval.

So my theory is that Ole was naive enough to believe that Rashy and Martial can lead the line. Also he thought that Fernandes wasn’t good enough, and that Pereira, Mata, Lingard and Gomes can do the job.

And I’m guessing this is why Ed looked so displeased at the West Ham. He had that “you told me that you’re going to handle this, so what gives” type of face.

Last edited by a moderator:

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Thoughts: Once Pogba leaves we will finally have sealed it.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Ironically I feel that we can look no further than Liverpool to see how our current situation could be potentially reversed. In my opinion the personality of Klopp was the catalyst for their rival, and we need a character equally as influential if we want to turn things around.
LVG and Jose would beg to differ.

Look the bottom line is that Woodward has tried the range of managers in the last 7 years. Its just not that obvious a solution.
Whinge all you want here but if it was that easy, they would have done it years ago instead of swing from one end to another.

fastwalker

Trash thread. Again, you look at the discussion is the same as other thread. Pointless.
Hypothetical threads like this, are pure drama queens.

You put out your thoughts, asking other people's thoughts about mediocrity.
Well here's my thought, nobody gives a shyte about your thoughts.

At least I'm not that shallow calling other people stupid.

If you are stupid, get smart? :boring:
You don't care about my thoughts, but you cared enough about my thoughts to respond to the thread.

Bless you!

Micky Targaryen

Oh great, lets appoint the manager who inherited a team with multiple consecutive titles and did nothing but continue on auto pilot whilst serving up a brand of football that makes Mourinho's teams look exciting.
Choose Allegri, who has invaluable experience in leading a squad of world class players and Champions League football, or keep Ole, who has managed Molde and relegated Cardiff. Mmmmm.....tough decision..

fastwalker

Like others in this thread stating this kind of thread is everywhere in caf.
That is your right, of course.

But get the irony here: you are participating in a discussion and offering views about a thread that you say you don't care about. But clearly you must care about it, because if you didn't you wouldn't be taking the time to offer your views about it in the first place would you?

Fairly simple and straightforward, when you put it like that.

oz insomniac

Ed has shown that he can sign lot’s of players if the manager is clear who he wants.

This year was different. Ole knew what defensive signings he wanted, but wasn’t quite sure on the offensive ones.

This is why we were linked with Ben Yeder and Dembele, but didn’t sign them. Same thing can be said about Bruno Fernandes.

Also it’s worth noting that Alexis was shipped off after the transfer window closed. I sincerely doubt that Ed shipped him off without Ole’a approval.

So my theory is that Ole was naive enough to believe that Rashy and Martial can lead the line. Also he thought that Fernandes wasn’t good enough, and that Pereira, Mata, Lingard and Gomes can do the job.

And I’m guessing this is why Ed looked so displeased at the West Ham. He had that “you told me that you’re going to handle this, so what gives” type of face.
Nice try at elevating Woody to some sort of decent CEO/DOF

He appears to want to manage the managers and their recruits, not a sensible position for a merchant banker, the argument should not be that he spent shed loads, it's more the manner in which he operates. Clickbait and control does not mean the club is in good hands and with a direction, he is a deadweight in many ways, basically he does not appear to understand how to run the football side.

manc exile

Supports
City
Doing the same things and expecting different results springs to mind but in appointing Ole the club has tried to break the pattern. Results on the pitch are not great but I look towards the positives:

De Gea,
Maguire
Wan Bissaka
James
Martial
McTominay
Tuanzebe

For me that is a great base to build upon. I've left out Pogba as I am guessing he leaves at the end of the season. The team is missing experienced leaders and I think we are 4 signings short of a quality squad but it is far from an unbridgeable gap.

I think we are 4 ignings short of a quality firt team and 10 signings short of a quality squad

elPampa

Supports
FC St. Gallen 1879
I think the first and most effective step is the appointment of a DOF.
Player does not care about the potential of a club, we will not get the right players.
But a DOF will always be interesting for us, the possibilities are huge. In this area we are still among the top 5 clubs.

The most important transfer is a DOF !! Go Ralf Rangnick, he has a lot of experience.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
How many big clubs are there in the world who put up with dross for so long?

The lack of planning says it all. Over the years we should have slowly shipped these players out who are certainly not good enough but we reward them with contracts.

Jones, Lingard, Young, Rojo are senior players of the squad. That's why we are mediocre. We had to rely on these fecks.

Kurton

Yes, it can be the players.

The board and owners have spent nearly a billion signing or giving silly money to has been players (Bastian Schweinsteiger, Sanchez), prima Donna's (Di Maria and yes, Pogba), with a lot of poor quality signings (do I even need to start naming them?). There have been some good players that are not the right fit for the system or carrying injuries, and have been shipped out.

Spending a lot and buying good value are not the same thing.

Then to add insult to injury the mediocrity is being rewarded with ludicrous contracts. The team with the fourth highest wage bill in the world is likely to miss top six.

We are mismanaged, and I don't trust this board to make a decent managerial appointment or, if they stumbled on the right man, to provide the structure and support needed for succeed.

Edit: just look at the state of the team. Almost a billion in signings and were relying on teenagers.
But we've also had the likes of Depay, Schneiderlin, Shaw (don't think he has done much yet), Bailly, Lukaku etc. Not superstars but talented upcoming players who were playing great for their respective teams when we bought them. The amount of flops we've had just does not make sense. Only Herrera and Martial have been decent. And the amount of turn over of players doesn't point to a constant group of players who have underperformed. Bar de Gea and Jones none from the current squad were there in Moyes's regime, but we still had a crap season.

I don't get the logic of players not right for the system either. Except for Dan James, every other player we bought was from some club in the top leagues. So these are accomplished players and not sub-par like Bebe. Sure they might not have all the attributes, but there should be some way to maximize the skills that these players have. Don't think every other club has ideal players for every position.

I agree with the rewarding mediocrity part though, specially with silly wages we pay. But I could also be because we seem unable to make players better. We always sell for a loss. So at some point you have to keep some of them. Can't keep buying players who keep being flops.

Reactions: Penna

MrEarl

I keep reading comments claiming that United spent almost 1 billion cents SAF retired. The net expenditure for those seven transfer markets is 549 million. Basically half of what is being repeatedly claimed.
If every year you buy a new car and sell last year's car, you calculate total expenditures by subtracting what you received in sales of your old car from what you spent for the new cars.
Just for the record, United's gross expenditures for the seven years totaled 823.7 million.
Check it out yourself.
https://www.transferleague.co.uk/ma...sh-football-teams/manchester-united-transfers

RedWat

He appears to want to manage the managers and their recruits, not a sensible position for a merchant banker, the argument should not be that he spent shed loads, it's more the manner in which he operates. Clickbait and control does not mean the club is in good hands and with a direction, he is a deadweight in many ways, basically he does not appear to understand how to run the football side.
The best CEO/DOF are like the best referees they officiate a game and they run it so smoothly that you Barely hear their name during the game. I do not know the name of Man City’s or Liverpool’s CEO/DOF But I’m sure Liverpool/Man City fans know the name of Man Utd’s CEO why is that ???

Caesar2290

Look, I'm not saying Woodward is an amazing CEO, far from it. I'm just pointing out that signing players was never his weakness. And if we didn't sign any attacking players this year part of blame lies with Ole.

Josep Dowling

Any factual evidence to back up your claims? Considering the number of forward players that left the club I cannot believe the manager was happy we did not bring anyone in. Hence this week he said ‘it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out we want attacking players’, clearly Ed isn’t a rocket scientist. I stand by we weren’t going to get anyone in until Lukaku was sold, by which point it was too late to sign anyone.