Gaming The SM RedCafe League

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
So lately i've been thinking about organizing a youth league for U20 players. I know this has been brought up and discussed before, but never actually tested.

This would basically work like the regular league does, where participants face each other once or twice during a season, and the team with most total points at the end of the season wins. Matches would be played on days when no other competitions take place, in the form of friendlies. You yourself would arrange all of the friendlies at the start of the season, since Damo cannot do this as far as i know. Only players under 20 years of age are allowed to participate in the matches, a violation of this would lead to automatic walk-over and a 3-0 victory to the other side. If both managers violate this rule, the match ends as a 0-0 and no points are rewarded. I could keep the league table updated.

The prize for winning it: I was thinking that the prize could be automatic first place in the next draft, irrespective of the winners squad value. Obviously this would mean that all managers have to agree to this.

What do you think guys, would this bring more excitement to the game or is it unnecessary? Would you participate?
I don’t think the winner should get 1st pick of a draft. You would get bigger clubs with the best talent able to pick up more of the best talent ahead of the rest because they have the best U20 talent.

Equally some in the GW wouldn’t even be able to participate so it would again put people at a disadvantage where you’d be forced to have 11 U20 players.

The whole point of the draft is to help the Div 4/5 clubs build a good side along the way.

I’d be happy to have a CL style U21 tournament though? So only youth team players can play?

Prize could be free pick from Southend :lol:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I'll take Rakitic for a swansong.......
Excellent. Was fearing nobody would take the 91 rated players.

DRAFT (MANSFIELD TOWN)

# of players available: 26 (due to minimum squad size of 21, loans not included)

Rules
  1. Refer to "Draft Order"
  2. 12 hours per pick, starts now. Miss out means you relinquish your pick
  3. Declare your pick, then bid (doesn't have to wait until draft is finished)
  4. Inform the next person in draft order
  5. Cash only. No P/E
    • Squad value <100m: 1.1x FV
    • Squad value 100m-200m: 1.3x FV
    • Squad value 200m-400m: 1.5x FV
    • Squad value >400m: 2x FV
  6. You can skip if you want to, and/or if you are unable to bid (skipping in advance is encouraged)
  7. Must comply with FFP
  8. NEW: Bid must be made within two weeks of your pick otherwise you forfeit the player
  9. After draft is completed, Damien will check if rules are followed before accepting those bids
  10. After all bids have gone through, Damien will withdraw from Mansfield Town
Draft Order
Preston North End - Luke Shaw (£11M)
Gillingham - Wilfried Zaha (£12.76M)
Charlton Athletic - Steven Bergwijn (£18.2M)
Leeds United - Missed out
Kidderminster Harriers - Nicolas Raskin (£520k)
Leyton Orient - Arkadiusz Milik (£18.2M)
Bury - Kurt Zouma (£15M)
West Ham United - Cody Gakpo (£4.2M)
Tottenham - Missed out
Ipswich Town - Abdou Diallo (£18M)
Blackburn Rovers - Roger Ibanez (£3.3M)
Barnsley - £275.9M (Transfer Banned, Inelligible for draft)
MK Dons - Hans Hateboer (£13.5M)
Southampton - Missed out
Bristol City - Kyle Walker-Peters (£3M)
Norwich City - Missed out
Cardiff City - £316.4M (Transfer Banned, Ineligible for draft)
Hereford - Junior Firpo (£12M)
Middlesbrough - Conor Coady (£11.7M)
Bournemouth - Ivan Rakitic (£10.95M)
Fulham - £342.2M
Chelsea - £360.5M
Newcastle Utd - £386.4M
Manchester City - £387.3M
Darlington - £387.6M
Liverpool - £406.2M
Wolves - £414.3M
Aston Villa - £433.5M
Sunderland - £434.7M
Arsenal - £446.6M
Southend Utd - £493.9M
Nottingham Forest - £547.7M
Everton - £555M
Manchester Utd - £755.4M

@infamous7

Gythio

I don’t think the winner should get 1st pick of a draft. You would get bigger clubs with the best talent able to pick up more of the best talent ahead of the rest because they have the best U20 talent.

Equally some in the GW wouldn’t even be able to participate so it would again put people at a disadvantage where you’d be forced to have 11 U20 players.

The whole point of the draft is to help the Div 4/5 clubs build a good side along the way.

I’d be happy to have a CL style U21 tournament though? So only youth team players can play?

Prize could be free pick from Southend :lol:
The biggest teams have the best young talent, that is true. This is why i'd prefer to make the cut-off at 20 years and not 21, since even the most talented players don't often reach very high ratings before 21, which equals the playing field a little.

The prize discussion is an important one, and i agree that giving away the first pick of a draft is quite significant. Feel free to give suggestions.

About teams not being able to participate. Yes, today many teams would not be able to field a full XI of U20 players. What this league might do, is create an incentive for the managers to invest in the youth team properly and evenly in all positions, instead of stacking some positions as FB or ST.

Why do bigger teams have the best U20 talent? Because other managers sell it. The game does not favor any teams in a bidding war, which in theory means that the talent could be evenly distributed. This youth league might encourage managers of smaller teams to hold on to their talented youth instead of selling them early on, which in the longer run would mean that the bigger clubs won't have an advantage ratingwise. For all this to work, the prize needs to be significant enough for managers to care and make adjustments to their squad, such as 1st place in a draft. But as i said, come with suggestions.
We could also make an exception for the GK for example.

It could absolutely work as a tournament aswell, maybe that's even more exciting.

Last edited:

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
I like the idea if the tournament for youth players, I don't think a first draft pick is a good prize though as defeats the whole point of the draft in the first place.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
The biggest teams have the best young talent, that is true. This is why i'd prefer to make the cut-off at 20 years and not 21, since even the most talented players don't often reach very high ratings before 21, which equals the playing field a little.

The prize discussion is an important one, and i agree that giving away the first pick of a draft is quite significant. Feel free to give suggestions.

About teams not being able to participate. Yes, today many teams would not be able to field a full XI of U20 players. What this league might do, is create an incentive for the managers to invest in the youth team properly and evenly in all positions, instead of stacking some positions as FB or ST.

Why do bigger teams have the best U20 talent? Because other managers sell it. The game does not favor any teams in a bidding war, which in theory means that the talent could be evenly distributed. This youth league might encourage managers of smaller teams to hold on to their talented youth instead of selling them early on, which in the longer run would mean that the bigger clubs won't have an advantage ratingwise. For all this to work, the prize needs to be significant enough for managers to care and make adjustments to their squad, such as 1st place in a draft. But as i said, come with suggestions.
We could also make an exception for the GK for example.

It could absolutely work as a tournament aswell, maybe that's even more exciting.
Even at 20 you’d still have an advantage being a bigger club.

We all try to hold onto our best youth but the reality is in order to progress even in 2 years some players must be sold to gain ratings.

Prize wise maybe a Youth Cup winner could get an extra 3 FFP slots for youth players for 3 seasons (which I believe is an in game full year?) something that gives you an advantage but doesn’t wreck the draft mechanism? I’ll have a better think over the days.

Also it’s not like us smaller clubs aren’t trying to build U21 teams everyone is desperate to get the next best thing at U21 level and most managers treat 30+ yo players as if they are dead.

I do agree it might encourage people to make an overall U21 side and not hoard all the best CBs etc but I’m not sure it will make anyone sell off top talents just to compete in friendlies.

I think a knock out tournament is easier to schedule because you don’t have to sort all the friendlies all at the same time you can schedule a week at a time.

Dom Gill

I like the idea of the youth knockout tournament. I think the keeper thing must be 2nd choice keeper or if you really want to you play your under 20 keeper.

Prize could be first pick of under 20 player in the next draft, if you pass you go back to your draft slot.

I like the idea of extra ffp too.

I'd be in for this.

Damien

Staff
DRAFT (MANSFIELD TOWN)

# of players available: 26 (due to minimum squad size of 21, loans not included)

Rules
  5. Cash only. No P/E
  6. You can skip if you want to, and/or if you are unable to bid (skipping in advance is encouraged)
  7. Must comply with FFP
  8. NEW: Bid must be made within two weeks of your pick otherwise you forfeit the player
  9. After draft is completed, Damien will check if rules are followed before accepting those bids
Draft Order
Bury - Kurt Zouma (£15M)
Tottenham - Missed out
Southampton - Missed out
Fulham - Missed out
Chelsea - £360.5M
Newcastle Utd - £386.4M
Darlington - £387.6M
Liverpool - £406.2M
Wolves - £414.3M
Aston Villa - £433.5M
Sunderland - £434.7M
Arsenal - £446.6M
Southend Utd - £493.9M
Everton - £555M
Manchester Utd - £755.4M

@christy87

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
DRAFT (MANSFIELD TOWN)

Rules
  5. Cash only. No P/E
  7. Must comply with FFP
Draft Order
Bury - Kurt Zouma (£15M)
Tottenham - Missed out
Southampton - Missed out
Fulham - Missed out
Chelsea - £360.5M
Newcastle Utd - £386.4M
Darlington - £387.6M
Liverpool - £406.2M
Wolves - £414.3M
Aston Villa - £433.5M
Sunderland - £434.7M
Arsenal - £446.6M
Southend Utd - £493.9M
Everton - £555M
Manchester Utd - £755.4M

@christy87
Luca waldinsomething

Damien

Staff
DRAFT (MANSFIELD TOWN)

Rules
  5. Cash only. No P/E
  7. Must comply with FFP
Draft Order
Bury - Kurt Zouma (£15M)
Tottenham - Missed out
Southampton - Missed out
Fulham - Missed out
Chelsea - Luca Waldschmidt (£12M)
Newcastle Utd - Albert Lokonga (£4.2M)
Darlington - £387.6M
Liverpool - £406.2M
Wolves - £414.3M
Aston Villa - £433.5M
Sunderland - £434.7M
Arsenal - £446.6M
Southend Utd - £493.9M
Everton - £555M
Manchester Utd - £755.4M

@KM has 10 hours max left to pick.

Damien

Staff
DRAFT (MANSFIELD TOWN)

Rules
  5. Cash only. No P/E
  7. Must comply with FFP
Draft Order
Bury - Kurt Zouma (£15M)
Tottenham - Missed out
Southampton - Missed out
Fulham - Missed out
Manchester City - Skip
Darlington - Robin Koch (£12M)
Liverpool - £406.2M
Wolves - £414.3M
Aston Villa - £433.5M
Sunderland - £434.7M
Arsenal - £446.6M
Southend Utd - £493.9M
Everton - £555M
Manchester Utd - £755.4M

Liverpool's turn

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
@Damien Question can we back out of verbal agreements?

I had a verbally agreed deal for Perisic of max cash. Other manager has been informed before by me about my TB and also I have regularly posted about it here and on SM news feed and is now claiming they forgot about it and will accept another offer from other managers instead?

I thought once verbally agreed we don’t back out a good example is I verbally agreed to swap Locatelli for Felipe? I could back out as I have better offers for him so is this now ok?

Last edited:

Gythio

A deal is agreed once i click accept. My messages are an indication of how i will act, but in no way binding. If a better offer comes along the way, i'll accept that. Might’ve thought differently if you had made sacrifices like selling someone in order to be able to buy my player, but not in this case as it’s simply a cash deal.

The truth is i might’ve agreed to wait for your ban to expire, but your premature announcement and this kind of legal pursuit to force me into accepting makes me inclined to go with any other offer instead.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
A deal is agreed once i click accept. My messages are an indication of how i will act, but in no way binding. If a better offer comes along the way, i'll accept that. Might’ve thought differently if you had made sacrifices like selling someone in order to be able to buy my player, but not in this case as it’s simply a cash deal.

The truth is i might’ve agreed to wait for your ban to expire, but your premature announcement and this kind of legal pursuit to force me into accepting makes me inclined to go with any other offer instead.
So I could say now verbally I’ll accept a min cash bid on Aouar with you but then reign in on it because it’s inconvenient?

So you’re saying what you verbally agree to is not binding? Despite that being the case with everyone else?

I have sold players to make space for the likes of Perisic I knew my FFP was going down so I’ve cut my squad back and am continuing to do so to have this room too.

I announced the Rodri deal despite not having accepted it in game? Nobody took issue with that so by your logic I’m ok to go back on that agreement?

It’s not a legal pursuit it’s about the principles by which this GW operates. If you verbally agree to something and we now say you can drop out any time surely that’s going to cause more problems then if people stick to thing they have agreed?

Gythio

So I could say now verbally I’ll accept a min cash bid on Aouar with you but then reign in on it because it’s inconvenient?

So you’re saying what you verbally agree to is not binding? Despite that being the case with everyone else?

I have sold players to make space for the likes of Perisic I knew my FFP was going down so I’ve cut my squad back and am continuing to do so to have this room too.

I announced the Rodri deal despite not having accepted it in game? Nobody took issue with that so by your logic I’m ok to go back on that agreement?

It’s not a legal pursuit it’s about the principles by which this GW operates. If you verbally agree to something and we now say you can drop out any time surely that’s going to cause more problems then if people stick to thing they have agreed?
So point me to a rule that says i can't cancel deals. If you think this goes against any moral principle of yours, that's completely fine by me, i can live with it.
I'll stick to my principles and negotiate in good faith with managers that i feel like are operating in the same manner.

Damien

Staff
@Damien Question can we back out of verbal agreements?

I had a verbally agreed deal for Perisic of max cash. Other manager has been informed before by me about my TB and also I have regularly posted about it here and on SM news feed and is now claiming they forgot about it and will accept another offer from other managers instead?

I thought once verbally agreed we don’t back out a good example is I verbally agreed to swap Locatelli for Felipe? I could back out as I have better offers for him so is this now ok?
Verbal agreements aren't tying, hence why we don't like it when people comment on accepted bids before they go through as one side might back out and that is shit for all concerned. Usually best to keep quiet until it has gone through, or at the very least much closer to the time.

Only reason I was comfortable with discussing the Van Dijk deal before it was completed is because I knew Gythio's desire to have Pogba (literally had discussions months in advance about him wanting Pog). Most other people I wouldn't have said a word until it was through.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Besides which it is possible to cancel any accepted deal. There's a button that says "cancel". So rein theoretisch, a deal is never done until the player is on your squad. Innit.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Verbal agreements aren't tying, hence why we don't like it when people comment on accepted bids before they go through as one side might back out and that is shit for all concerned. Usually best to keep quiet until it has gone through, or at the very least much closer to the time.

Only reason I was comfortable with discussing the Van Dijk deal before it was completed is because I knew Gythio's desire to have Pogba (literally had discussions months in advance about him wanting Pog). Most other people I wouldn't have said a word until it was through.
So am I to take it that Gythio is not a man of his word and every deal I negotiate and agree with him can be cancelled at any time until the player is in my squad?

I thought we had quite high standards of trust and people sticking to their word but maybe I’m in the minority?

So to be clear a person’s word is not binding and I am well within my rights to cancel any pre agreed deal with any manager and this is how we want the GW to operate?

So we can make up agreements that we don’t intend to stick to as long as we don’t click accept?

Just for clarity.

Damien

Staff
So to be clear a person’s word is not binding and I am well within my rights to cancel any pre agreed deal with any manager and this is how we want the GW to operate?

So we can make up agreements that we don’t intend to stick to as long as we don’t click accept?

Just for clarity.
Like Dans said, you could click accept and cancel before the thing is through. Just don't expect people to be happy.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Besides which it is possible to cancel any accepted deal. There's a button that says "cancel". So rein theoretisch, a deal is never done until the player is on your squad. Innit.
Isn’t this a horrific way to encourage dealing though? In other GWs yes but when I could be negotiating a deal to make room for other players only for a manager to back out I don’t see how this is ok?

It has a knock on effect whereas if we stick to agreements it doesn’t.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Like Dans said, you could click accept and cancel before the thing is through. Just don't expect people to be happy.
Out of interest if you verbally agree a deal do you expect it to be completed?

Do you not agree it’s poor etiquette to back out?

Damien

Staff
Out of interest if you verbally agree a deal do you expect it to be completed?

Do you not agree it’s poor etiquette to back out?
Usually I put the bid in and have no issues. Best to keep things close to your chest. In the 8 years the league has been going, I can probably count the transfer controversies with people pulling out on two hands and that is mostly due to other people vocalising before the deal is completed which we frown upon.

Ravelation

Krump at me Bro
@BenitoSTARR
The only thing that should be enforced is when a deal is a multi-part deal, and one half of the transfer has already completed, only then it should be enforceable.
It sucks a bit, bit say for example Damien offered him mbappe for perisic, you expect him to be a man of his word and just sell him for cash to you?

People don't speak about the transfers until they are completed, that way other managers making bids wont be thing.

Damien

Staff
@BenitoSTARR
The only thing that should be enforced is when a deal is a multi-part deal, and one half of the transfer has already completed, only then it should be enforceable.
Yep, and we would do that. In the case of LM we didn't know about the other player involved and gaz had no intention of completing the deal before quitting.

Ravelation

Krump at me Bro
Leaving that debacle alone;
I'm looking to offload a few 90+ players, and really would like to get rid of them

Matic/Allan/Insigne, I preferably want to offload them together because I have not been able to find the right deal Individually.
If anybody is interested in 2 or 3 of these, and would like to make an offer, do so.

Im interested in player exchanges only.
I can prove a tough person to strike a deal with at times, but it's worth a crack.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
@BenitoSTARR

There is no hard rule on when an transfer is "official". Everyone has their own ideas on this and can't be enforced.

Most would likely honour 99% of verbal agreements, but who knows what may happen before the deal is done. Everyone handles stuff differently.

Reactions: Damien

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Usually I put the bid in and have no issues. Best to keep things close to your chest. In the 8 years the league has been going, I can probably count the transfer controversies with people pulling out on two hands and that is mostly due to other people vocalising before the deal is completed which we frown upon.
Maybe I’m just the victim of not being able to bid right away but I think it’s incredibly bad form. I’m only commenting on a deal I’ve agreed with another manager I’ve learnt not to comment on anyone else’s until complete.

@BenitoSTARR
It sucks a bit, bit say for example Damien offered him mbappe for perisic, you expect him to be a man of his word and just sell him for cash to you?

People don't speak about the transfers until they are completed, that way other managers making bids wont be thing.
Well I’m in a scenario where I’ve verbally agreed to swap Locatelli but I could get a better deal now for him? So actually no I don’t think once you’ve agreed to do something you should back out.

It’s not a case of another bid being made it’s a case of an agreement and someone backing out.
Leaving that debacle alone;
I'm looking to offload a few 90+ players, and really would like to get rid of them

Matic/Allan/Insigne, I preferably want to offload them together because I have not been able to find the right deal Individually.
If anybody is interested in 2 or 3 of these, and would like to make an offer, do so.

Im interested in player exchanges only.
I can prove a tough person to strike a deal with at times, but it's worth a crack.
Interested as you know.
@BenitoSTARR

There is no hard rule on when an transfer is "official". Everyone has their own ideas on this and can't be enforced.

Most would likely honour 99% of verbal agreements, but who knows what may happen before the deal is done. Everyone handles stuff differently.
So are we all happy that we can screw each other over and verbally agree and back out whenever we want?

I don’t think it’s in the spirit of this GW maybe I need to be more selfish in my decisions.
Jesus, if verbal agreements ment anything in football there wouldn't be a keanos magic hat, get over it.
If I told you you could have Aoaur for CV now and then said changed my mind after you’ve made plans elsewhere off the back of that deal you wouldn’t be pleased.

It doesn’t just affect one deal this affects others now.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
So are we all happy that we can screw each other over and verbally agree and back out whenever we want?

I don’t think it’s in the spirit of this GW maybe I need to be more selfish in my decisions.
You can do whatever you want.

You've been screwed by ONE person. What gives the impression we are all happy to do the same? We aren't condoning anything, but there's nothing anyone can do about it either.

You'll find that historically some people have found it difficult to get deals because people know they are difficult to deal with. Other people seem to have all the deals going their way because they are trustworthy. Its pretty real to life tbf.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
You can do whatever you want.

You've been screwed by ONE person. What gives the impression we are all happy to do the same? We aren't condoning anything, but there's nothing anyone can do about it either.

You'll find that historically some people have found it difficult to get deals because people know they are difficult to deal with. Other people seem to have all the deals going their way because they are trustworthy. Its pretty real to life tbf.
I don’t wish to be dishonest nor do anyone out of deals that are agreed.

Good point I’ve not had any bad experiences with anyone else so apologies if it came across that way.

For what it’s worth I am open to deals and if Perisic falls through I’ll just learn in future about the characters of individuals rather than having a moan.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Way I see it, once you hit the transfer accept button then you've signed the documents and everything is done and dusted. Up until that point the deal can break down, just like in real life.

Damien

Staff
DRAFT (MANSFIELD TOWN)

Rules
  5. Cash only. No P/E
  7. Must comply with FFP
Draft Order
Bury - Kurt Zouma (£15M)
Tottenham - Missed out
Southampton - Missed out
Fulham - Missed out
Manchester City - Skip
Darlington - Robin Koch (£12M)
Liverpool - Missed out
Wolves - £414.3M
Aston Villa - £433.5M
Sunderland - £434.7M