The Small Matter of Andreas Pereira and our Midfield Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

GM K

Looks like Andreas wants to stay and fight for his chance. How does this impact on recruitment for our midfield? If he stays, are we strong enough in the midfield with the purchase of Fred and resigning of Fellaini? Or should we be out to reenforce in the middle?
Here's what he has been quoted today to have said:

"I told him (Jose) that I felt ready to compete. He was happy to hear that and said I would get my chance. Now we will see how it goes in pre-season. Then we are together again, but of course I hope to convince him.” (Many media outlets)

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
If we are giving him a chance then we are sorted for the midfield. We are giving youth a chance. People will cry for established players but i think this is what we are known for.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We weren't likely to sign another midfielder anyway when we've got Fred, Pogba, Matic, Herrera, Fellaini and possibly McTominay too (if he doesn't go on loan). Pereira's chances will be out on the right wing most likely competing with Mata (or if Mata is sold, an understudy to a first choice right sided attacker).

Devil may care

I don't think he'll play in midfield, if he gets a chance it will be on the right wing where he can drift in a bit like Mata but also provide a cross when required.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
With Fellaini's new contract we have Pogba, Matic, Herrera, Fred, Fellaini as midfield options and then McTominay.

Even without Periera we wouldn't have signed another midfielder.

Also think Periera will be squad filler for CM, RW, LW position rather than just CM.

GM K

Didn't he mainly play as a winger at Valencia?
He played mainly as a number 10 behind the striker or on either side of the wings especially when Valencia played a 4-4-2.

He is of course right footed.

United Pro

With Fellaini signing a new contract, I can't see us buying another midfielder regardless of whether Pereira stays or not. However, having Pereira in the squad should hopefully mean that McTominay can go out on loan and get game time.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
He played mainly as a number 10 behind the striker or on either side of the wings especially when Valencia played a 4-4-2.

Valencia played a 4-4-2 pretty much all season with Rodrigo and Zaza/Mina up front.

Yeah always as winger and always as deeper midfielder in friendlies.
With our midfielders on international duty we'll probably see him as a CM in preseason but during season he'll have more chances out wide.

The No.10!

Whatever be the case, I would like to see him get a season to prove himself to the gaffer. It's obviously gonna be up to him to make the most of it, but he at least warrants the chance.

As for our midfield getting impacted because of this, I think it can only be good for a club like ours. We have McT, Matic, Felli, Fred, Ander, possibly Andreas, so seems like they can do the job for the year, but again, nothing can be said if the injuries strike and when Pogba disappoints.

deafepl

In pecking orders, Periera is ahead of Fellaini. if we are chasing for a draw or a goal in 80 minutes, Fellaini would be sub impact ahead of him. If we want to play attacking football, Periera is ahead of Fellaini, given his football ability on the ball.

If Jose Mourinho thought Coutinho is very good and want him to prove himself on loan to a lesser team. I guess we can hope Periera could do the same thing, I think Mourinho wants to convert Periera into CM like Klopp did with Coutinho and Pep with KDB.

If he impressed enough in friendlies preseason, he'd get more chance next season.

Judas

Open to offers
Unless he has a stormer of a pre-season i think he’ll be off still. I’d like him to get a chance, but not at the expense of a proper RW signing.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He’ll transfer away in January. He’s just not good enough.

ravi2

He has potential, I really hope Jose gives him a shot this season

TehRed

I think Jose should give him some games on the wing, and maybe use him in League Cup matches in central midfield if he wants. He could work out well as an option on the wing though, he played there a lot on loan at Valencia and did alright.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
With Fellaini's new contract we have Pogba, Matic, Herrera, Fred, Fellaini as midfield options and then McTominay.

Also think Periera will be squad filler for CM, RW, LW position rather than just CM.
Aye, DM and AM. He's a really good option to have on the bench.

Ekeke

He didnt start a single league match centrally in midfield or behind the striker. 5 left midfield, 7 right.

davidmichael

I think Pereira as a central midfielder could be a tempo dictating player that controls the game if given the chance in much the same way as a Modric, Verratti, Thiago or Kroos all are although I’m not saying Pereira would be that level.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Cant see him staying too long even though hes a good player. Cant see where he fits in with Mourinho. We wont sign another midfielder though, that was definite after Fellaini signed his contract but especially with Pereira getting chances, even if he is seen mainly as a wing option.

I think Pereira as a central midfielder could be a tempo dictating player that controls the game if given the chance in much the same way as a Modric, Verratti, Thiago or Kroos all are although I’m not saying Pereira would be that level.
I think so too - Jose did play him the #6 role in his first pre season with us.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We weren't likely to sign another midfielder anyway when we've got Fred, Pogba, Matic, Herrera, Fellaini and possibly McTominay too (if he doesn't go on loan).
Agreed.
It is possible that we only buy 1 more player.
In other words a transfer window of only 2 incomings (I don't count Dalot or that 35 year old GK, who nobody will ever see).

GM K

He didnt start a single league match centrally in midfield or behind the striker. 5 left midfield, 7 right.
My bad. I had his sojourn in Spain in mind rather than just Valencia which the initial poster indicated. He played a lot as a number 10 for Grenada and on either side of the wings for Valencia.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The only tempo he'll be dictating is the toe tapping, while he sits on the bench.
We have plenty of midfielders in the team and Perreira will probably be at the back of the queue.

Ekeke

My bad. I had his sojourn in Spain in mind rather than just Valencia which the initial poster indicated. He played a lot as a number 10 for Grenada and on either side of the wings for Valencia.
ah yeah true, i did forget about granada tbh

Kag

You give him opportunities. I think he'd take them, too.

He's made solid loans so far. Some of you lot would have him pissing around in the U23s begging to get on the bench in a League Cup match to Cardiff. feck, this guy has actually played some footy.

He'll come back a better player for it, too. Give him a chance and he'll demonstrate that.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

If Pereira can't out play McTominay I'd be sad.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Lingaard is playing well in a midfield 3 for England
Could see:
......pogba..........lingaard.......
................matic.....................
Next season and as back up

.....Fellaini..........Herrera........
.................Fred......................

Possibly even another midfielder brought in

Leaves the likes mctominy, tfm and Pereira struggling for games I think

Zoo

He needs to stick around for half a season at least. Put in the effort, show the correct attitude and Mourinho will give him a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.