The Small Matter of Andreas Pereira and our Midfield Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
If we could mould him into a number 6 that would be interesting. He seems to have the passing ability and vision for it. It's the defensive and positional side that he will have to pick up.
What he has is a great foot for passing, and somehow decent vision that combined with that foot appears to be better than it actually is.

If Ander had a right leg as good as Pereira he'd look like a discount version or Kroos. That's just how good his leg is, but he's been relying on that quality for far too long, I don't think United have the time luxury to develop his vision and decision making to the level a United midfielder should have, let alone also improving his defensive game at the same time, it seems reaching too much.

GM K

It's looking more and more like Jose has big plans for Periera next season.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't think he's got what it takes to be a 6 at a club of our level, I rate him, but I just don't think that's going to work out. Hopefully that isn't the plan for him.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Unless we develop into Barcelona or Man City’s style of football, we will never fit someone like Pereira in a number 6. It’s not saying our style of football makes us worse than City or Barca, but we simply don’t play that kind of football.

Even if the remote thought of having someone technically gifted in that 6 role was on Jose’s radar... he’s already got Fred.

Sorry Pereira

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
I don't think he's got what it takes to be a 6 at a club of our level, I rate him, but I just don't think that's going to work out. Hopefully that isn't the plan for him.
I think the plan is there is no plan.

The poor kid will offer to play anywhere and try to make the best of it, but it's pretty clear to me, Jose doesn't have a proper plan for him.

He obviously will never* be a world class defensive midfielder or deep lying playmaker, so you have to wonder wtf is going on. He should be playing further up the pitch where he plays better.

edit. it seems the plan is mould him to a complete midfielder that can do a job decent enough even deep to cover for all 3 positions. I hope he stays and fight for his place, but somebody needs to go for that to happen.

* i hope he proves me wrong if he follows that route.

Last edited:

GM K

Hard to believe this Vidal rumour flying around when Pereira is doing so well at the moment. I think we should just trust the kid this season. Seems he has improved a lot and more importantly, he's up for the fight for a shirt.

Dante

Average bang
We look a little overstocked in midfield at the moment:

Pogba, Matic, Fred, Herrera, McTominay, Fellaini and Pereira

That's 7 for 3 spots. If any of those are vulnerable to being sold, I think it could be Herrera. His stock is certainly in descent at the moment.

Mourinho is a fan of the rest and I can see him wanting to give Pereira an opportunity.

An Irish Red

That's 7 for 3 spots. If any of those are vulnerable to being sold, I think it could be Herrera. His stock is certainly in descent at the moment.

Mourinho is a fan of the rest and I can see him wanting to give Pereira an opportunity.
I think McTominay is clearly the worst of that lot (and by some margin). I'd far rather have Herrera and Pereira than Fellaini as well.

automaticflare

I think that is fine

2 decent 3’s with an obvious first choice there and a young kid in McTominay

Really think we need to sort out our right wing and left back situation and the team would be transformed

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

Regular starters
..........matic.........
....Fred.......pogba...

Cover
......... mctominy.......
....Herrera...periera...

With Fellaini doing his dirty elbow / impact sub thing

Lingard possibly getting some games in midfield as well?

Think we are done for midfield in and outs this window

MrBest

Been a winger in Spain from what I've read on here, was a attacking player in our youth system as well. Only been used as a 6 for us in training matches from what I know.

As for age for midfielders, tons of midfielders play midfield from early on. Pogba, Verratti, Tolissio & Weigl just to name some.
Again, I'm not saying he should be in his prime, but he's not going to develop his tools tons more as a player either, which is why I say he isn't a kid anymore.
Erm salah at 22 was pretty raw with good potential. At 25 he looks a world beater. Not saying he is salah but plenty of players take a while to reach maturity and 22 is still very young. He has loads of room to improve.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Erm salah at 22 was pretty raw with good potential. At 25 he looks a world beater. Not saying he is salah but plenty of players take a while to reach maturity and 22 is still very young. He has loads of room to improve.
Yeah, plenty do. I just don't have much faith in Pereira (or Rashford) becoming a key-player for any top team.

MrBest

Yeah, plenty do. I just don't have much faith in Pereira (or Rashford) becoming a key-player for any top team.
Great goal tonight. Fair enough you don't have the faith, it's sort of like he had this rep at a young age and all of a sudden just disappeared. I hope this year we will see him.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Ahead of Herrera in the pecking order for me. Herrera is so wasteful in midfield, playing sideways and backpasses for the sake of it. Pereira seems to be the opposite, always trying to make something out of every situation.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
I wouldn't get too excited. Andreas was good last pre season to.

Would love to see him actually play regular for us mind.

NJM78

McTominay is just not very good, Herrera is all heart but little talent and Fellaini is just Fellaini. Having said that I don’t see Jose playing Pereira over any of them if all fit. Think he is too forward thinking for Jose.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
McTominay is just not very good, Herrera is all heart but little talent and Fellaini is just Fellaini. Having said that I don’t see Jose playing Pereira over any of them if all fit. Think he is too forward thinking for Jose.
Really hope this preseason is convincing Jose to give him a fair shot.

Patrick08

Impressed with him on this tour. He could really fill in the Pogba gap we failed to fill in his absence last season. He can also play as attacking midfielder which is a plus. But the way he filled in during preseason picking out passes is definitely what we need in the squad if Pogba was to miss some games.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Closing this thread as this doesn't have any relevant transfer information and seems to be turning Andreas performance thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.