Music The Smiths

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
That was always the case, though. I'm old enough to remember the Smiths when they were fresh and new and anyone who liked them for their music (and not Mozza's gladiola waving camp pageantry) knew that Marr was the real talent. That talent has stood the test of time too. The opening bars to this tune still sound absolutely fecking amazing.

He also seems like a good bloke. Though he has fallen into the Paul Weller trap of thinking it’s perfectly fine to have the same terrible mod haircut well into his 50s.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I would agree with this. The Smiths are more than the sum of their parts, like The Beatles were. Marr was the musical brain but he could never be the frontman in a million years and I think he is comfortable with this when you think of all the bands he has subsequently enhanced with his gunslinging guitar talents.
Yep. They complement each other perfectly. I wouldn't disagree that Marr was the more talented but paired together they made some absolutely timeless music.

Irwin99

As bad or as uninspiring as Morrissey's lyrics are now his lyrics for The Smiths were way better than 95% of his contemporaries. For all his faults I don't think it's wrong to say that he was once a very good writer.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The songs of Paul Weller taught me everything I know about politics (stop laughing).
And Morrissey's songs taught me that machismo is a crock of shite.

So I'm very grateful to those two, despite their flaws.

Handsome Devil

Could probably have a lengthy discussion on when should rock stars stop dyeing their hair/drop the old barnet.
Similar to Mark Radcliffe's comment that no man over 30 should wear a t-shirt with a logo (which I disagree with.)
BTW, Ronno and Paul look like they have come third and fourth in a Rubbish Trannie Contest here

Brophs

The One and Only
Aside from it being a bit like those weirdos asking famous actresses to their prom and banking on them being guilted into going by other online weirdos, it’s a nice reminder that Johnny Marr is very much not Morrissey.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Aside from it being a bit like those weirdos asking famous actresses to their prom and banking on them being guilted into going by other online weirdos, it’s a nice reminder that Johnny Marr is very much not Morrissey.

I love Johnny Marr.

KanieKaned

delighted for the lad. I would want myself for days after that such a great memory. JM is a top lad.

SteveJ

Scout
I'm amazed at Mockney's and DOTA's* comments in this thread. Watching a few Smiths TotP performances right now and, for all his recent mistakes, it strikes me that Morrissey was revolutionary - he was the very opposite of the imagery and style demanded of pop stars. This was incredibly brave, personally, new and bold. And surely - and this is perhaps as important as any musical legacy - Morrissey deserves immense credit for opening people's minds about sexuality. All on his own terms too...

*Two people I have immense respect for.

Fingeredmouse

I'm amazed at Mockney's and DOTA's* comments in this thread. Watching a few Smiths TotP performances right now and, for all his recent mistakes, it strikes me that Morrissey was revolutionary - he was the very opposite of the imagery and style demanded of pop stars. This was incredibly brave, personally, new and bold. And surely - and this is perhaps as important as any musical legacy - Morrissey deserves immense credit for opening people's minds about sexuality. All on his own terms too...

*Two people I have immense respect for.
Morrissey, ultra cnut that he now is, was at least as important to the Smiths as Marr. The lyrics and style of the band are a huge part of their appeal and that's down to UKIP's own Mozza. It is hard to fathom how the man who wrote those incredible lyrics is now a nationalist bigot.

SteveJ

Scout
This is such a fantastic performance by the band and the audience:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Props to The Simpsons for successfully annoying Morrissey.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
“When a show stoops so low to use harshly hateful tactics like showing the Morrissey character with his belly hanging out of his shirt (when he has never looked like that at any point in his career) makes you wonder who the real hurtful, racist group is here,” Morrissey opined

Does Morrissey know what racist means?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
“When a show stoops so low to use harshly hateful tactics like showing the Morrissey character with his belly hanging out of his shirt (when he has never looked like that at any point in his career) makes you wonder who the real hurtful, racist group is here,” Morrissey opined

Does Morrissey know what racist means?
“I know you are you said you are but what am I then?”

Munkehboi

Apologies if this has already been posted but this is quite possibly my favourite song and favourite Marr performace - it was this performance that inspired me to pick up and learn guitar.

decorativeed

Props to The Simpsons for successfully annoying Morrissey.
I was watching that new Superman and Lois show the other week and one of the characters in that says that Morrissey "is a xenophobic old has-been". Made me chuckle anyway, just a shame it wasn't Superman.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
That is so cool. I saw Johnny Marr a few years back in Belfast and it was epic.
are you from Belfast? I’ve only been 3 times and I was playing gigs all 3 times so saw nothing much (aunty annies, the empire and a place called voodoo I think?) I’d like to check it out for pints and tourist stuff once all this ends. Seems like a fun spot! :)

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
are you from Belfast? I’ve only been 3 times and I was playing gigs all 3 times so saw nothing much (aunty annies, the empire and a place called voodoo I think?) I’d like to check it out for pints and tourist stuff once all this ends. Seems like a fun spot! :)
Im not from Belfast, I'm from down the road but I have lived in Belfast on and off for over 10 years. Its a really great city to go out in.

Dante

Average bang
Just watching the episode now. Benedict Cumberbatch does a weird scouse accent for some reason.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Haven't watched a new episode of Simpsons in years and years. Does Lisa have a different voice actor? She sounds so different to me.

lsd

The Oracle
The fact Morrissey would advise anyone of being racist is laughable.

How exactly does he think making fun of him would be resist anyway?