The solely "buying from the Premier League" transfer thread

Grealish, Rice, Ndidi and Fofana are probably the pinnacle of players at relatively smaller clubs who could improve us. They'd all cost a small fortune though.

Neto, ASM and Raphinha are all more realistic. Potentially great options too. Especially the first two.

Think we've needed a player like ASM for a long time - a legitimate chaos creator, a consistent 1v1 dribbler...he'd be a big help against low block teams and for entertainment value too. We've needed one since Nani left really.

redrobed

TAA would be a great option to rotate with AWB depending on difficulty of fixture - he’s made it clear he’d be extremely open to joining us so include that.

Grealish, Maddison and Kane have also done enough to justify a move to a top side imo.

crackers0seven

I think there are plenty of quality players in the PL these years that are capable of stepping up levels. And be levels I mean coming to utd and being in a squad that is able to fight on many fronts, not necessarily bought to go straight into starting line up. In fergies yrs there wasn't as much of a pick I reckon, Carrick berba rvp saha vds even Alan Smith etc. Maybe I think that cause utd were pretty dominant in general over 2decades so it only need a Pick here and there every few seasons to keep utd ahead and weaken rivals in process. Anyways I like rice, neves, neto, Justin, grealish, maddison, saka, DCL, trossard, bissouma, Phillips, raphinha, eze, mcneil, vestergaard, ings, asm, lamptey, berge. Clearly I'd love players of kane and son standards but i think it's harder these days to go in a steal prize assets from the so called bigger clubs due to the level of money at PL clubs and the fees involved in such deals. But the list above is just of players that have impressed me and made me thought "I wonder could he do a job at utd". Anyways hopefully utd strengthen well in summer, anything less than kane I'll be disappointed :lol:.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Fofana
Phillips
Bissouma
Grealish

(Phillips over Rice for me)

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Bissouma, Adama and Ings would be a great window.

Shiva87

I'd like to see the following come in:

1. Souchek (seems to be great at winning the ball back and also popping up with some goals). Passing is better / more progressive than both Scott and Fred. Would be cheaper than Rice.

2. Neto - will add much needed competition to our RW, and also allow Greenwood to develop.

No CB in the league which IMO fills our need for a pacey right sided CB, who can do for us what Ruben Dias has done for City this season. Great on one on ones and never gets caught out for pace. Has to come from abroad.

If we add a Moreno (if we are looking for a more finished product) or a Andre Silva type signing - it would be a decent summer. Obviously a Haaland would be a very good one.

Gordon S

Vestergaard is a decent CB imo. Strong in the air and good with the ball. Experienced. Only one year left with Southampton as well. Could be worth a shot

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Obvious picks are Ndidi, Tielemans etc but with Leicester now an established top 4 side is it even realistic?

We’d probably be looking at Rice, Grealish, Neves and Raphinha as the best of the most realistic options. I’ve always liked Tarkowski and Ings as well.

justsomebloke

Grealish, above all. Ticks every box, other than affordability.

Pedro Neto - with his development curve, speed, skills, style of play and evident confidence, I think there's a lot to say for him as a potential United player. Wouldn't be cheap, but I would be surprised if his value doesn't increase significantly over the next couple of seasons. Not what we need positionally speaking, though.

Raphinha - would be a terrific fit for the right wing, definitely has the talent.

Mateus Pereira - Looks to me like a player who might really take off on a more talented team. Has some positional versatility too.

Tariq Lamptey - the way he's dominated at Brighton tells of a special talent, and he'd be an intriguing alternative option to AWB at RB, offerig very different things.

Martin Ødegaard - has shown at Arsenal he can elevate a team, and the positional fit is a good one, since he can play both as a no 10 and on Right wing. Probably as a no 8 too, though that would be to waste much of his potential.

MUFC OK

Harder to do since the PL TV deal which means teams don't need to sell anymore so we'll end up paying through the roof.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
De Bruyne would be unbelievable for us. Días or Laporte would help solve our CB problems. Alexander-Arnold would give Wan-Bisakka healthy competition and give a better attacking outlet on the right, which suits us really as we don’t have a proper right winger.

We should be in for them this summer if we’re serious about challenging. Would weaken title rivals, too.
What do you think Kevin De Bruyne who signed a £20m a year 4 year contract with Manchester City 11 days ago will cost?

justsomebloke

Harder to do since the PL TV deal which means teams don't need to sell anymore so we'll end up paying through the roof.
Sadly true. The value's just not there for the category of player we're talking about, compared to what you could get elsewhere. And that's probably even more the case than usual presently, with the Covid effects. Also, the new post-Brexit work permit system would tend to drive up the value of domestic players.

justsomebloke

I'd like to see the following come in:

1. Souchek (seems to be great at winning the ball back and also popping up with some goals). Passing is better / more progressive than both Scott and Fred. Would be cheaper than Rice.

2. Neto - will add much needed competition to our RW, and also allow Greenwood to develop.

No CB in the league which IMO fills our need for a pacey right sided CB, who can do for us what Ruben Dias has done for City this season. Great on one on ones and never gets caught out for pace. Has to come from abroad.

If we add a Moreno (if we are looking for a more finished product) or a Andre Silva type signing - it would be a decent summer. Obviously a Haaland would be a very good one.
Doesn't Neto play primarily on the left?

Agree with you on the CB point. No shortage of players you could make a case for, but none of them really feels like a good fit, do they.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Raphinha and Bissouma would improve us big time, and both are achievable.

I like Eze but he's still maybe 1/2 years away from the top.

Grealish is obviously the dream, but probably not doable right now.

justsomebloke

Bissouma, Adama and Ings would be a great window.
I think all of these would be at best borderline as first XI options on United. Adama Traore I flat out don't want - for all his skills and physical strengths, he's just not a good football player in my opinion. Doesn't read the game well, no sense of positioning. Would I think be out of his depth on a team playing a free-flowing attacking style.

justsomebloke

TAA would be a great option to rotate with AWB depending on difficulty of fixture - he’s made it clear he’d be extremely open to joining us so include that.

Grealish, Maddison and Kane have also done enough to justify a move to a top side imo.
If you buy TAA, it's hardly to use him as a rotational player? Also, Maddison plays the same position as Bruno, so when would you use him? He's too good to be just an occasional stand-in for BF.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think all of these would be at best borderline as first XI options on United. Adama Traore I flat out don't want - for all his skills and physical strengths, he's just not a good football player in my opinion. Doesn't read the game well, no sense of positioning. Would I think be out of his depth on a team playing a free-flowing attacking style.
Whilst I agree none of them would be guaranteed starters I'm rather expecting a terrible transfer window and I think Bissouma in particular has a lot about him and scope to improve.

As for Adama for me he'd either get in the team directly at RW or be the best impact sub you could hope for, particularly if Cavani stays and he's got a target for his crosses. His pace, power and dribbling ability are second to none. Ings is not a terribly exciting prospect but he's probably available for a sensible fee and we'll need someone if Cavani goes. I'd rather get Ronaldo back though if he's up for it!

justsomebloke

Grealish, Rice, Ndidi and Fofana are probably the pinnacle of players at relatively smaller clubs who could improve us. They'd all cost a small fortune though.

Neto, ASM and Raphinha are all more realistic. Potentially great options too. Especially the first two.

Think we've needed a player like ASM for a long time - a legitimate chaos creator, a consistent 1v1 dribbler...he'd be a big help against low block teams and for entertainment value too. We've needed one since Nani left really.
I love ASM, but he'd be hard to fit in as a left winger.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Expensive but given.:

Ndidi to add steel and options and alternations with Fred and take minutes of McTominay.

Grealish to give Marcus & Bruno competition, we could then use Rashford as a CF in some games he's suited and he's still a great CF on his day..

Tielemans would be a decent Pogba replacement, less of a highlight/individual player but more of a system player.

Soyuncu - pretty unrealistic but became quite a beast in a short period of time and would finally fix our problem with 1 and a half CB.

Kane - would fix our striker issues for the next 5 years, how much he'd be realistically available for?

Richarlison - probably too expensive but he's got that one gear in him to go up

___

Other shot:

McGinn - workhorse player but one big reason they are doing do well this season..
Pereira - He's got more talent than our Pereira - not sure where he'd play though but good players always find their positions
Saka - Could we do the same what CIty did with Sterling? Probably not the right investment as he's the same age as Diallo pretty much and Pellistri and too many players in his positions but can play many positions..

All in all we should go for the absolute best - say 2 players and then fill in with academy players, rather than almost quality which we have a lot

justsomebloke

Whilst I agree none of them would be guaranteed starters I'm rather expecting a terrible transfer window and I think Bissouma in particular has a lot about him and scope to improve.

As for Adama for me he'd either get in the team directly at RW or be the best impact sub you could hope for, particularly if Cavani stays and he's got a target for his crosses. His pace, power and dribbling ability are second to none. Ings is not a terribly exciting prospect but he's probably available for a sensible fee and we'll need someone if Cavani goes. I'd rather get Ronaldo back though if he's up for it!
Oh man, not Ronaldo! He's a focus vortex - everything'll go through him and be organised around him, and the whole building-of-a-perennial-contender thing will go on hold as long as he's there, in favor of the here and now. He's never going to be a bit player, or someone who adapts to the team. There are many who's prepared to argue that having him has made Juventus a weaker team, not a better one. not because he's not performing, but because of exactly that effect.

Traores pace, power and dribbling ability is not in question. He can do something with nothing. But, I'm wondering why he so often ends up having to do something with nothing. He doesn't make smart runs, doesn't position himself well, just looks lost out there far too often for my liking. He usually adds far less end product over the course of a game than Neto for example, despite being stronger, faster and at least as skilled with the ball.

Just my two cents though.

Last edited:

justsomebloke

Saint-Maximan and Raphinha have both been very good whenever I’ve seen them and would go some way to balancing out our threat from the right if we’ve abandoned the Sancho deal, however you’d think neither would be that cheap anyway.

I also don’t think we’d be able to afford either Rice or Ndidi considering how much the 2 clubs would ask for them but I think either would complement our midfield very well.

Calvert Lewin is a little more realistic than Kane/Halaand but, again, would probably soak up our whole budget.
Just a hunch maybe, but would Calvert-Lewin have the sort of sturdy (not to say borderline insane) confidence needed for a striker to be consistently successful on a team that has the sort of pressure you get at Manchester United?

Robindinho

As others have said, definitely Raphinha and Bissouma.

Think Grealish only happens if Pogba leaves, or it’s overkill. Unless we start rotating every game like City do...

Henderson
Awb Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Bissouma
Bruno Pogba/Grealish
Raphinha Greenwood Rashford​

justsomebloke

As others have said, definitely Raphinha and Bissouma.

Think Grealish only happens if Pogba leaves, or it’s overkill. Unless we start rotating every game like City do...

Henderson
Awb Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Bissouma
Bruno Pogba/Grealish
Raphinha Greenwood Rashford​
Don't see that connection. We don't play 4123, but 4231 and Grealish can play left, right or center of the attacking line behind the striker. He'd be easier to fit into the starting XI than anyone we currently have.

justsomebloke

Saka - Could we do the same what CIty did with Sterling? Probably not the right investment as he's the same age as Diallo pretty much and Pellistri and too many players in his positions but can play many positions..
I'd take Saka in a heartbeat, and right now he is on a totally different level than Diallo. He is already an elite PL performer, arguably Arsenal's best player this year. His versatility is an asset, and his best position is right wing, which is exactly where we need reinforcements the most.

The only reason I didn't include him is I assume Arsenal would never be mad enough to sell him, certainly not to us. :)

Robindinho

Don't see that connection. We don't play 4123, but 4231 and Grealish can play left, right or center of the attacking line behind the striker. He'd be easier to fit into the starting XI than anyone we currently have.
I think we play 2 sitting now because Ole doesn’t trust Fred, McT or Matic to play the holding role on their own - hopefully that would change.

On Grealish, Bruno isn’t going to be dropped so he couldn’t play no.10 regularly, likewise if we signed a right winger (Raphinha), he wouldn’t play there either. So the only way he fits in to the starting XI is either on the left, with Rashford (not being dropped either under Ole), playing through the middle or as a centre/attacking mid and we tweak the system.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
What do you think Kevin De Bruyne who signed a £20m a year 4 year contract with Manchester City 11 days ago will cost?
A lot. Definitely over £100m and probably towards £200m.

justsomebloke

I think we play 2 sitting now because Ole doesn’t trust Fred, McT or Matic to play the holding role on their own - hopefully that would change.

On Grealish, Bruno isn’t going to be dropped so he couldn’t play no.10 regularly, likewise if we signed a right winger (Raphinha), he wouldn’t play there either. So the only way he fits in to the starting XI is either on the left, with Rashford (not being dropped either under Ole), playing through the middle or as a centre/attacking mid and we tweak the system.
I don't think we're going to start playing 4123 with a better DM. Even if the No8 essentially becomes a second No 10, which I think is highly unlikely, that would be a 4141, and it would still be the case that Grealish fits as well on the flanks as he does centrally. Hence little to no connection with whether Pogba stays or goes.

It would obviously be overkill to sign a starting XI-level right winger AND Grealish.

redrobed

If you buy TAA, it's hardly to use him as a rotational player? Also, Maddison plays the same position as Bruno, so when would you use him? He's too good to be just an occasional stand-in for BF.
I disagree - the best teams have good options all over the park. We could use TAA against weak opposition or when chasing games and AWB for closing out games or against strong opposition.

Maddison would jump at the chance to come to Utd regardless of a little less gametime.

Shiva87

Doesn't Neto play primarily on the left?

Agree with you on the CB point. No shortage of players you could make a case for, but none of them really feels like a good fit, do they.
Yes he does, but he is left footed and Ole likes his inverted wingers. Also, he has played on the right for wolves when Adama was injured, and did pretty well there.