The solution to "who should partner Maguire"

R0nald0

Under a rug on top of a mountain under the stars.
I give you........ Aaron Wan Bissaka

His qualities are everything we're looking for in a partner for block head - he's fast, nimble, excellent in 1v1s. I'll give you he's not left footed but Harry has played LCB his whole career. He's also not the tallest but at 6ft, he's taller than Mascherano, Cannavaro and Puyol! Also taller than Ake, Alaba and Kounde.

I think long term, we need a more attacking right back to better balance our attacks so let's get AWB learning CB and bring in a Max Aarons/Tariq Lamptey.

Have I gone lockdown crazy??

AgentSmith

His positioning is suspect at fullback. It would be horribly exposed at centre back.

CM

The short-term solution is and should be Eric Bailly. Wan-Bissaka is our RB and should stay there.

Oldyella

His qualities are everything we're looking for in a partner for block head - he's fast, nimble, excellent in 1v1s. I'll give you he's not left footed but Harry has played LCB his whole career. He's also not the tallest but at 6ft, he's taller than Mascherano, Cannavaro and Puyol! Also taller than Ake, Alaba and Kounde.

I think long term, we need a more attacking right back to better balance our attacks so let's get AWB learning CB and bring in a Max Aarons/Tariq Lamptey.

Affirmative.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
No.
Look, United just need to go out there and find a CB with the attributes of Baily who isn't made of glass.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Yes.

AWB is an amazing slide tackler and at blocking crosses. Both of which are far more useful at fullback than they are in the centre. His positioning is poor, he doesn't seem to communicate with anyone, he's terrible in the air...he'd be shocking as a central defender.

If we were going to move a fullback into that role it would be Shaw who does, in theory at least, have all the attributes to be good in that position.

Lemon Moon

No.
Look, United just need to go out there and find a CB with the attributes of Baily who isn't made of glass.
100% this!

Eric Bailly's a natural defender. It's just a shame he's so injury prone.

But we need to recruit a new, quality CB.
Someone like Bailly who's attributes compliment Maguire. (Comfortable on the ball, quick, good positional play)

I always admired Ruben Diaz from a far, absolutely gutted he's turned out so well for City.

Ola

The solution should be to play Lindelöf and Bailly ahead of Maguire. Then I hope we get a new defence general in the summer.

RedDevil@84

Not playing Maguire is the best solution. But Harry is there because he cost 80M. And some people say when discussing Harry's performances, we should not be talking about the money.

SAFMUTD

AWB is more suited to be a winger than a CB, that should tell you everything.

DoomSlayer

Not playing Maguire is the best solution. But Harry is there because he cost 80M. And some people say when discussing Harry's performances, we should not be talking about the money.
This. He's OK at aerial duels, but apart from that, I have no clue what makes Maguire cost a world record fee. Making him captain after less than 6 months just added insult to injury.

Deery

Dreary
We’ve been linked with Varane today for £70m, would he be the answers to all our prayers?

Tallis

If we can sign Milenkovic, I would like to see him paired with Lindelof. The guy gets a lot of hate but is actually a pretty competent defender as long as the ball is on the ground. He made a Match saving interception yesterday in the 85 minute or so which Harry would have had no chance of saving and Eric would probably have put in the net.

Ekeke

Would love to see AWB, Maguire and Shaw tried in a back 3 together. Or AWB, Maguire and Bailly/Lindelof since Shaw is doing so well going forward.

Plenty of midfielders have been used in back 3s. You dont need every quality of a CB when theres 3 of you to cover the area. AWB is fast, aggressive, our toughest tackler and has made the most blocks of any player in the league. So that says he knows how to get himself in the right place to stop the ball being played where opponents want it. Other players can help him in the air

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

No, no, no, no, no. AWB's entire game revolves around letting a player get wide and then slide tackling him. And he is probably the best in the world at doing that. Slide tackling however is not a trait you want from your centre half. You are not the first I have heard suggest this, but it is a horrible idea...

Deery

Dreary
If we can sign Milenkovic, I would like to see him paired with Lindelof. The guy gets a lot of hate but is actually a pretty competent defender as long as the ball is on the ground. He made a Match saving interception yesterday in the 85 minute or so which Harry would have had no chance of saving and Eric would probably have put in the net.
I like Lindelof and think he’s a good defender but he will always get targeted for his weakness physically and in the air against weaker teams which is always going to be a problem.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The solution should be to play Lindelöf and Bailly ahead of Maguire. Then I hope we get a new defence general in the summer.
Absolutely wrong. Despite his transfer fee, Maguire is in fact our best centre half. He just happens to get scapegoated a lot. The question is who should partner him. You don't improve a team by getting rid of your best players. If you want Maguire on the bench then you need to get 2 centre halves who are better than him. Currently at our team those two players do not exist. Drop the agenda...

Deery

Dreary
Would love to see AWB, Maguire and Shaw tried in a back 3 together. Or AWB, Maguire and Bailly/Lindelof since Shaw is doing so well going forward.

Plenty of midfielders have been used in back 3s. You dont need every quality of a CB when theres 3 of you to cover the area. AWB is fast, aggressive, our toughest tackler and has made the most blocks of any player in the league. So that says he knows how to get himself in the right place to stop the ball being played where opponents want it. Other players can help him in the air
Didn’t we already try this against Leipzig and AWB got horribly found out with his positioning.

Ekeke

Didn’t we already try this against Leipzig and AWB got horribly found out with his positioning.
Our first choice CBs have made positional mistakes in matches too. Guess we should never play them again either

spiriticon

Having AWB at CB is likely to play every single attacker onside.

With De Gea refusing to leave his line for a 1v1, I predict only disaster.

Deery

Dreary
Our first choice CBs have made positional mistakes in matches too. Guess we should never play them again either
I don’t see the point of AWB at centre back think he’s good enough at right back unlike a lot of people on here. I’d much rather we got a decent dominant defender as well rather than a fast one. Probably in the minority there too and I also don’t like 5 at the back.

stevoc

So over the last few months we've seen suggested on here. McTominay at CB, Fred at LB, Fernandes up front, Pogba on the right wing, now Wan Bissaka at CB and there may be others I've missed.

How about just playing players in their best positions?

Wan Bissaka wouldn't be a better CB than Bailly or Lindelof. Plus who would we then play at RB, Matic?

tomaldinho1

Should have just given TFM game time at CB if this was an option, AWB is a good RB and should stay at RB.

Edit. This reminded me to see how he's doing and very sad to see his injury. Guy has no luck.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
OP, unfortunately yes, you've lost your marbles.

This whole Maguire thing kind of reminds me of a woman, who's passive aggressive way of getting back at women she disliked was to gift them a beautiful pair of designer shoes in an impossible colour, and sit back and revel in their frustration as they scoured for a dress or accessories to go with it.

Ekeke

I don’t see the point of AWB at centre back think he’s good enough at right back unlike a lot of people on here. I’d much rather we got a decent dominant defender as well rather than a fast one. Probably in the minority there too and I also don’t like 5 at the back.
The point would be having an aggressive defender who will confront opposing players rather than back off, and be fast to catch people. Basically Bailly but with much better tackling timing and fit more often. Or with Bailly 2 of them, which would be perfect to have around the slower Maguire who is strong in the air.

Also as a 3 man defence as I suggested, the CBs split wide to defend against the wingers. What AWB is great at. So it would be making use of his best skill

They also tend to split quite wide when playing out from the back to give options. So he would find himself in a similarish position to when he plays rightback, and he can run with the ball. But it would allow a right midfielder, or wingback to be the one expected to provide the width on the right and put in a quality ball.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Cavani's good in the air... I think you know where I'm going with this.

RUCK4444

His positioning is suspect at fullback. It would be horribly exposed at centre back.
I agree somewhat, however (not sure how relevant it is) but he tends to be positionally suspect at times due to his tendency to drift inside into almost a CB position.

He does this a lot. I’m not saying that suggests he might be a good CB though :lol:

jem

Yes.

AWB is an amazing slide tackler and at blocking crosses. Both of which are far more useful at fullback than they are in the centre. His positioning is poor, he doesn't seem to communicate with anyone, he's terrible in the air...he'd be shocking as a central defender.

If we were going to move a fullback into that role it would be Shaw who does, in theory at least, have all the attributes to be good in that position.
Couldn't agree more. AWB's slide tackles would be a far riskier proposition in front of goal, and the guy has very little composure on the ball. Shaw, on the other hand, would be a very good fit, but then we'd lose his amazing contributions as a fullback.

Deery

Dreary
The point would be having an aggressive defender who will confront opposing players rather than back off, and be fast to catch people. Basically Bailly but with much better tackling timing and fit more often. Or with Bailly 2 of them, which would be perfect to have around the slower Maguire who is strong in the air.

Also as a 3 man defence as I suggested, the CBs split wide to defend against the wingers. What AWB is great at. So it would be making use of his best skill

They also tend to split quite wide when playing out from the back to give options. So he would find himself in a similarish position to when he plays rightback, and he can run with the ball. But it would allow a right midfielder, or wingback to be the one expected to provide the width on the right and put in a quality ball.
I agree with the aggressive, dominant type defender we need.

I haven’t seen enough of Varane to know if he is that guy, Koulibaly could certainly do those things, do you know anything about Varane for type of work we need?

Lee565

Is it me or have the partnerships with lindelof alongside bailly or tuanzebe looked better than when Maguire has been their partner?

As for other potential centre back choices, shaw or mctominay(done well with Scotland) would be ahead of bissaka