The solution to "who should partner Maguire"

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
We should sell maguire to the dippers and cut our losses. They'll pay top dollar for a CB.

Ola

Absolutely wrong. Despite his transfer fee, Maguire is in fact our best centre half. He just happens to get scapegoated a lot. The question is who should partner him. You don't improve a team by getting rid of your best players. If you want Maguire on the bench then you need to get 2 centre halves who are better than him. Currently at our team those two players do not exist. Drop the agenda...
You are most certainly right if you want to defend like a team at the bottom of table, sittning low and heading balls away. But if you want to to defend with a higher line you need defenders who can turn and run, that´s not Maguire. The way I see it Ole wants a higher defence line and that is why I think Lindelöf and Bailly is our best centre half pair. Some times you need to kill your darlings to make progress.

Paul_Scholes18

I don't know why all looking to blame the defenders. We are not conceding goals in the big games. Striker/winger is what we most need.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
You are most certainly right if you want to defend like a team at the bottom of table, sittning low and heading balls away. But if you want to to defend with a higher line you need defenders who can turn and run, that´s not Maguire. The way I see it Ole wants a higher defence line and that is why I think Lindelöf and Bailly is our best centre half pair. Some times you need to kill your darlings to make progress.
How many goals have we conceded because Maguires lost a race? Far less than he's prevented by being excellent in the air.

Stones and Dias aren't exactly Usain Bolt either and look at them. There's an obsession with pace for centre backs on here, it's replaced 'we need ball playing centre back' that we heard for years.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
You're another Goldbridge muppet aren't you? This "we defend too deep" crap is just that. Crap. We are constantly holding a high line but drop off as our opponent gets possession in our end. This doesn't change whether it's Lindelof and Maguire, Bailly and Maguire or Bailly and Lindelof. Goldbridge has an agenda and looks for excuses. Just like how he always moans about "2 defensive midfielders protecting our back 4". We just got a clean sheet against Chelsea and we were NOT sitting deep. We were well at them with our FB's constantly overlapping and McFred in and around their 18. It's all agenda. I'd like to see a different partner for Maguire, but if I had a nickel for every time Maguire's pace cost us a goal, I'd have about 15 cents. His lack of pace is quite possibly the most over exaggerated problem that we have ever had.

Judas

Open to offers
Lets put a player who can't pass well, often out of position, loves a tackle, loves a last ditch tackle, at he heart of our defence. Yes, lovely plan.

Gopher Brown

I give you........ Aaron Wan Bissaka

His qualities are everything we're looking for in a partner for block head - he's fast, nimble, excellent in 1v1s. I'll give you he's not left footed but Harry has played LCB his whole career. He's also not the tallest but at 6ft, he's taller than Mascherano, Cannavaro and Puyol! Also taller than Ake, Alaba and Kounde.

I think long term, we need a more attacking right back to better balance our attacks so let's get AWB learning CB and bring in a Max Aarons/Tariq Lamptey.

Have I gone lockdown crazy??
I think AWB would look much better with a proper right winger in front of him. The problem is his deficiencies in attack are clearer when he’s essentially the only one playing on the entire wing.

That means the priority, as it has been for the last 5 years, and will remain for the next 5 years, is to buy a right winger.

Bobade

How many goals have we conceded because Maguires lost a race? Far less than he's prevented by being excellent in the air.

Stones and Dias aren't exactly Usain Bolt either and look at them. There's an obsession with pace for centre backs on here, it's replaced 'we need ball playing centre back' that we heard for years.
Completely agree. We needed a ball playing centre back for years. Maguire is good on the ball. He can take it forward, he can pick a pass. Whether you want him to do that stuff is a different matter (I'm personally happy with him taking the ball up the pitch).

Now, apparently none of that stuff matters because we now only need defenders with pace.

To me, Lindelof and Maguire are both good defenders, they just don't necessarily work well together. So you need the pacey one to complement Maguire. I'd keep Maguire and find a partner for him because I consider him a bit better than Lindelof. I think positionally he is a bit better, little bit less error prone, always fit (although Victor isn't injured much to be fair).

Putting AWB there is madness though. For one, its the classic caf error of wondering if we can slot a player in another position for no real reason. Two, on the flank he loses his runner fairly often. It is fine because he uses his pace to get back to them, then usually slide tackles or forces them to make an error. If he does that at CB, its probably too late because they are already through on goal.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

That's one way to look at it, the more impactful reason to want a quicker center back is to play a higher line and shrink the pitch.

bsCallout

This is the worst suggestion for changing a players position that we've seen on this site.

RUCK4444

No one, we should sell him. And buy a new partner for Bailey/Lindelof
I know it wont happen.
I know many have their opinions set on Maguire but surely he’s been the better of our defenders this season.

You would sell him and rely on Lindelof and Bailly in his place? I think that‘s mental, Bailly is injured every 30 seconds and Lindelof is awful 50% of the time.