Television The Sopranos

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Glad to read some sanity on this debate.

Im actually beginning to develop a severe dislike for BB due to fans of it telling me its the bestest thing ever.

I know television as a medium is a very subjective thing but there are 7 or 8 shows that blow BB out of the water.

The offense people take to me even saying that is hilarious. I then ask them have they watched the rest of the shows and the answer is invariably no!!!
Breaking Bad was far more enjoyable than The Sopranos which I found repetitive towards the end and the very end was so bad as to take some of the shine off the whole thing for me. Loved The Wire, superb drama, but Breaking Bad was lots more fun. Horses for courses.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The Sopranos ending has been retroactively ruined by the weird Don't Stop Believing revival a few years ago.
The what? I knew nothing about the end before watching it last year and it was an utterly stupid end to such a good show.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Did the writer/director ever confirm that the black screen ending was supposed to signify Tony's death?
He recently confirmed that it didn't signify Tony's death (why would such an end mean anything either way?) and then went on a few days later to clarify that it didn't mean that he wasn't definitely alive either. Basically he was saying he didn't have a clue which is why he made such a cop out ending. I may be editorialising slightly there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...onstrued-says-searching-answer-fruitless.html

Irrational.

I have no idea how you could watch the whole thing in two weeks, it's a heavy show!
With a bit of spare time, it's doable. ;)

With regards to the ending: initially it took me by surprise, but I've done a bit of reading around it and it's changed the way I thought about it. Brilliant set up and finish.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
When I first saw the ending my reaction was 'wtf?!', but after thinking about it and having rewatched the entire show a few times, it couldn't have been done better.

Varun

Staff
He recently confirmed that it didn't signify Tony's death (why would such an end mean anything either way?) and then went on a few days later to clarify that it didn't mean that he wasn't definitely alive either. Basically he was saying he didn't have a clue which is why he made such a cop out ending. I may be editorialising slightly there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...onstrued-says-searching-answer-fruitless.html
Thought so. My initial reaction was that he'd left it open. I enquired because at that time in the thread, it was being commented that it meant him dying whereas I had read nothing to suggest the writer meant it so.

Leg-End

I remember watching the final episode and being convinced someone had chopped the end off my totally legitimate download of it.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
When I first saw the ending my reaction was 'wtf?!', but after thinking about it and having rewatched the entire show a few times, it couldn't have been done better.
Yeah, I agree with this. I was really pissed off about it first, it was only after watching it a second time that I realised it was actually really well done.

Varun

Staff
I remember watching the final episode and being convinced someone had chopped the end off my totally legitimate download of it.
I havent met someone who had downloaded it and didnt think that the 1st time.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
I watched it in about 4 weeks. Why is it heavy?
I watched one per week as replayed on Sky Atlantic over a couple of years I think. I say it because I never felt like I wanted to watch the next episode right away after the last one, the episodes are a solid hour each (not 40min + ads like usual at the time). I just think it is a perfect show to watch slowly and appreciate over time, not like many newer shows that are all about getting hooked in the plot and racing to find out what happens next.

Re the ending, I actually already saw it on youtube before I even started the show, so it was all expected right from the get go. How often does a show you love truly end well though, endings suck because you can't watch the show any more. So as far as they go I didn't mind it really, like I say I felt The Sopranos was more about appreciating the whole thing rather than an insane dash for the plot answers.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
Agree completely.

i also cant understand how people didnt get the endjng given the clues that were given leading up to it. As soon as the screen went blank i thought 'ah, very good, thats from the convo tony and his bro in law had in the boat'.

Very well done

Zen

https://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-sopranos-definitive-explanation-of-the-end/

This covers the ending. David Chase prided himself on having a more intelligent viewership, and loves fecking with those who watched expecting another gangster run of the mill drama. Rather than the deep philosophical show they got at times. The show was pure genius, faltered along at times due to ridiculous money being thrown at them making it go further than it was planned to go. I don't care what the GOAT is anymore, it's irrelevant, but the Sopranos is elite level stuff.

cyberman

Tony is the greatest example of character development there will ever be on tv, movies even.
Paired with Paulie and Chris being two of the greatest supporting characters means nothing can touch it in my eyes.
I'd have paid good money for a spin off of the two.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Just into season three on my latest rewatch, it's really struck me this time around how brilliant the music is in this show, it's absolutely perfect.

@Amar__ you should give it another watch ;)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just into season three on my latest rewatch, it's really struck me this time around how brilliant the music is in this show, it's absolutely perfect.

I'm still watching it for the first time. Started season 4 tonight.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

Yeah I've discovered a lot of great music through the Sopranos, the end of episode tune is always done perfectly to sum up the mood.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
None of them beat this. Gives me goosebumps every time.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Ahh, I'd seen you say you were watching but didn't realise it was for the first time.

How you liking it?
Yeah it's good. I do find myself wishing some episodes would end sooner though as I'm trying to finish it, among other things before I go travelling again in 2 months.

It does however contain what I feel is the worst scene in TV history. CGI Livia.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
None of them beat this. Gives me goosebumps every time.

As fine an ending to a TV episode as I've seen.

Off the top of my head, here are few more of my favourites:

The Kinks

Chi-Lites

Rolling Stones

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Me and the Mrs watched the whole series from beginning to end last year, it was awesome. Would love to rewatch it all again but when we have tried before (like X-Files aswell ) we've always stopped watching them after as little as 2 nights and never committed to it properly.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yeah it's good. I do find myself wishing some episodes would end sooner though as I'm trying to finish it, among other things before I go travelling again in 2 months.

It does however contain what I feel is the worst scene in TV history. CGI Livia.
Spooky, that scene is on as I clicked on the alert for this thread.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Janice's little speech at Livia's wake :mad:

fecking hell I hate her.
I hate her more than anything in the world. I hate her more than the kid next door who 'plays' her flute in the garden from 5:30 til 8pm, and I REALLY hate that kid.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I hate her more than anything in the world. I hate her more than the kid next door who 'plays' her flute in the garden from 5:30 til 8pm, and I REALLY hate that kid.
Shit, even reading that made me angry, kill the kid Sol, just kill her.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Just when I thought I was out, you pull me back in.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Every single time I watch this I wish Melfi would tell Tony about the rape.
Shocking scene. They normally cut away or show a different angle but this was different.

Would've been easy for them to write that in, lazy if you like. But its good they didn't as it really made the character. She was torn on what was right or wrong, we all would be.

I only watched this a year or go and I actually went straight to Google and typed in how many series or episodes there were and then how did Sopranos end.

I ended up on reddit reading their detailed analysis of the last scene...

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Shocking scene. They normally cut away or show a different angle but this was different.

Would've been easy for them to write that in, lazy if you like. But its good they didn't as it really made the character. She was torn on what was right or wrong, we all would be.
It really was shocking, and I agree entirely that it was 'right' that she didn't tell him, I just still wish she had.

It would have been satisfying seeing him get his comeuppance.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Is this the only Sopranos thread? I thought it'd be a bigger thread than this.

Anyway, who is responsible for the use of music on this show? Is it down to the director of a particular episode or is it a permanent job of somebody's? The music of this show is so damn good it's unbelievable. I've watched it all twice before and I'm still blown away by the perfection of the music choices with specific scenes.

MarkC

Best show of all time for me. Some of the episodes just ooze class the way they have been scripted/shot/acted the lot. It's one of those shows where you can miss a lot of subtle details in scenes and the more time you re-watch the more it makes sense.

One of my favorite scenes from an episode I watched the other day. Shows Toni at his best:D

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Just finished this show a few weeks ago and the ending really hit me. After I'd read up on it of course.

Finding myself thinking about the ending at random points, it was excellent. I know it's not the most popular opinion but a great ending for a great show

jem

This one kills me. Tears well up every time. It's so simple, but the crack in Tony's voice when he asks the question followed by the atmospheric music is incredibly powerful

edit: this video cuts out before the credits roll, which somewhat diminishes the power. Still, I just watched it now and teared up...