Television The Sopranos

acnumber9

This is a very niche question but if anyone has seen Gangs of London, would you sooner watch The Sopranos for the second time having seen it from start to finish about three years ago or Gangs of London for the first time?

Switching between the two at the minute and can't make it mind up at all :lol:
I’d rather watch The Sopranos for the 20th time than Gangs of London for the first.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Love this scene, AJ realizes that his father is in the mafia and his long drawn out downward spiral begins:

I really recommend the book For the sins of my Father by Albert De Meo. He was the son of the Gambino family’s most prolific hit-man of the late 70s/early 80s and the book does a great job showing how fecked up and damaging growing up in that world is.

lsd

The Oracle
This is a very niche question but if anyone has seen Gangs of London, would you sooner watch The Sopranos for the second time having seen it from start to finish about three years ago or Gangs of London for the first time?

Switching between the two at the minute and can't make it mind up at all :lol:

I would say the Sopranos unless you are actually in Gangs of London and even then i would probably still watch the Sopranos

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
I’d rather watch The Sopranos for the 20th time than Gangs of London for the first.
:lol:

Sopranos fans are not the right tribe to be putting this question to. We are loyal and fierce and suspicious of outsiders.

acnumber9

:lol:

Sopranos fans are not the right tribe to be putting this question to. We are loyal and fierce and suspicious of outsiders.
That is very true. In the case of Gangs of London though, the main guy was out acted by Ralphie’s wig.

2cents

Scout
I am reminded of Louis the whatever’s finance minister, The something. He built a chateau, me and Nicole saw it when we went to Paris. It even outshone Ver-sails, where the king lived. In the end, Louis clapped him in irons.

blythy

Fascist Dictator
Just re-watched Sopranos - still the best TV I've ever watched. Gandolfini and Falco are impeccable

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I’m obsessed with The Sopranos. Corrado Soprano is my favourite character.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Just re-watched Sopranos - still the best TV I've ever watched. Gandolfini and Falco are impeccable
I don't tend to rewatch any long series - GOT is the only one I think but I will have to do this one - I first watched it not so long ago so no rush at the moment. From the moment the theme starts I was hooked every time.

2cents

Scout
That’s called a trump-pay le oil - “fool the eye”. It was done by an artist right over here in West Hempstead.

2cents

Scout
This channel has all the episode endings until season 6. Of all the things this show excelled at, finishing an episode with a perfect scene might be the best. Think season 4 might have had the most perfect collection:

Last edited:
I should probably watch this again. Hoping it will be on Netflix or amazon at some point. It’s a slow burn show. Not many shows will I watch twice, this will be one at some point.

2cents

Scout
The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.

Paxi

I just love this scene. She basically okays the hit on Brandon.

Started watching this from the beginning -- it's an incredible piece of work. Just so good on so many levels.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
It’s a sublime piece of work. There’s a fun series on YouTube now called Talking Sopranos, it’s one for true fans - Dr Melfi one is gas. Reading people compare it to other shows (the Wire is better?), is just absurd. My favourite among an incredible string of TV greatness is the last few episodes of Series 2. Best TV ever made, by some distance.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation

I just love this scene. She basically okays the hit on Brandon.

Started watching this from the beginning -- it's an incredible piece of work. Just so good on so many levels.
Tony’s mother - what a piece of writing- and acting. Unforgettable

Paxi

Tony’s mother - what a piece of writing- and acting. Unforgettable
Livia was excellently written. Between her, Junior and Tony - the dynamic was just fantastic. Makes you marvel at the genius of the waiting -- it's so authentic. The characters and the scenes are so fleshed out and it's hard to think of another show that gets close.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Sopranos' clips on YouTube are so addictive. Once you start...

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It’s a sublime piece of work. There’s a fun series on YouTube now called Talking Sopranos, it’s one for true fans - Dr Melfi one is gas. Reading people compare it to other shows (the Wire is better?), is just absurd. My favourite among an incredible string of TV greatness is the last few episodes of Series 2. Best TV ever made, by some distance.
I love The Sopranos, it’s a fantastic piece of work with wonderful writing, production and acting, but saying it’s “some distance” better than The Wire is nonsense.

I’d probably put them level with one another.

Paxi

I always skip Father Phil Intintola's scenes. He gives me the creeps.

Paxi

Another superb scene. Just a joy to watch.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Halfway through watching it for the second time. What strikes me now is how iffy some of the storylines are, but how colossally amazing the acting is. I remember being blown away by it 20 years ago & I feel as equally blown away by it now, I’m just appreciating different aspects of it.

Top five dramatic series of all time in my lifetime.

Paxi

Some of the scenes like with the football coach and the girl he was molesting, I don't think they were particularly acted out greatly but the acting and the story line from the main characters was immense. It's not a perfect show but no show is.

On a side note, anyone know where I can purchase 'capocollo' or gabagool? I tried similar meats and I absolutely loved them. Since it is always mentioned in the show, I'd like to see what the fuss is all about. Cannoli and sfogliatelle I'd also like to try.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Just a tidbit. On the way home the other day ai saw that The “Bing” is back open for business with a tent that runs very low to very high to hide the shenanigans

Paxi

Just a tidbit. On the way home the other day ai saw that The “Bing” is back open for business with a tent that runs very low to very high to hide the shenanigans
What you mean?