Television The Sopranos

Zen

If you ain't gonna like the first few episodes - assuming that takes you to College (Episode 5).... I'd all is lost on liking at worst the first two seasons, the tone shifts a bit after that.

Season 1 is essentially the same level bar maybe one episode which is more or less filler. Honestly one of the most rewatchable seasons of TV for me. Belter.

marktan

It’s a dull start, what can I say?
I didn't enjoy season 1 much to be honest - the stuff with Tony's mother dominating the season just bored me. I started a rewatch this season and skipped season 1 - the great thing about Sopranos though is pretty much every episode from then is top class.

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I didn't enjoy season 1 much to be honest - the stuff with Tony's mother dominating the season just bored me. I started a rewatch this season and skipped season 1 - the great thing about Sopranos though is pretty much every episode from then is top class.
Good to know! I it must hook you in at some point

Stick with it, for sure. It's without a doubt the best TV series of all time, for me. Untouchable.
I will man. This is the one

Zen

Must admit, that's a first to see, pretty sure Season 1 is the only season that I've never seen someone claim as the worst before. I realize you aren't saying skip it, but I'd find it hard to rewatch without having a lot of key things from Season 1 in my mind.

I can skip the following episodes(in order) - A Hit is a Hit, D-Girl, Another Toothpick, Christopher, In Camelot, Chasing It(though it has a purpose in what Chase is telling at that point, but the massive shift in Tony to me came too quick and too sudden as if Chase felt guilty of making him likeable for the previous 7 years and rushed to make us realize he's a dirtbag).

A lot would claim a lot of Season 4 as some of the shows worst, but you can't really skip them, nor does the level massively drop other than Christopher in my opinion, just a slow burning season that coincided with being the post 9/11 season. For me, the episodes above are anomalies in their seasons, just take me out of the vibe if I'm binging and don't add much overall.

Zen

Don't give me your fecking manson lamps!

Absolutely brilliant character Richie, but Joey Pants gets all the credit for the pain in Tony's ass character for Ralphie. Proval nailed it first, I agree.

marktan

Must admit, that's a first to see, pretty sure Season 1 is the only season that I've never seen someone claim as the worst before. I realize you aren't saying skip it, but I'd find it hard to rewatch without having a lot of key things from Season 1 in my mind.

I can skip the following episodes(in order) - A Hit is a Hit, D-Girl, Another Toothpick, Christopher, In Camelot, Chasing It(though it has a purpose in what Chase is telling at that point, but the massive shift in Tony to me came too quick and too sudden as if Chase felt guilty of making him likeable for the previous 7 years and rushed to make us realize he's a dirtbag).

A lot would claim a lot of Season 4 as some of the shows worst, but you can't really skip them, nor does the level massively drop other than Christopher in my opinion, just a slow burning season that coincided with being the post 9/11 season. For me, the episodes above are anomalies in their seasons, just take me out of the vibe if I'm binging and don't add much overall.
To be fair I'm probably being a bit harsh towards s1 - I don't really remember much of it outside of the Livia and Junior plots. I just remember when I first watched the series in 2015, I stopped and started a lot with season 1 primarily due to Livia's plot and it took me a while to finish. I then watched the rest of the seasons basically without stopping.

I've just started rewatching s6 now, once that's done I might go back and rewatch s1 once done and review what I think about it.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
How does it stand up 20 years later?

Watched it the first time round. Be good to watch it again, although I’m not sure where it can be streamed.
I watched it for the first time not too long ago on HBO Nordic. It's fine to watch now. It hasn't aged poorly as far as I can see.

marktan

Early into rewatching s6, my god Paulie cracks me up. Funniest character by some margin. The way he's in the hospital talking to Tony and ends up giving him a heart attack simply by talking haha

Art

Art the artist
Just finished watching it all for the first time. Greatest show I’ve seen.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Rewatching at the moment, and at the end of Season 2.

I completely forgot that these two shot Chris. Just... why? I know they're idiots, but how was that ever going to result in anything but the end of them?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Give me 1,000 dollars.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Just finished watching it all for the first time. Greatest show I’ve seen.
Gets better with every re-watch. Other TV just doesn’t compare.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Chris and some associate digging up a body they buried, and the associate asking him "is that him?". And Chris answering "that'd be some fecking coincidence if it wasn't, would it?".

Cracked me up.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Binge watching the entire thing from start to finish at the moment (after missing a lot of episodes, particularly last season) in the lead up to Many Saints of Newark coming out later this year.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The actors who played Meadow and AJ have a podcast (not Sopranos based but obviously it is talked about a lot) and it's pretty good.

They constantly talk about how great a guy James Gandolfini was.

GueRed

It's been a few years..

I'm gonna delve back and rewatch the show.

Still the best TV Series for me.

RIP Gandolfini.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The actors who played Meadow and AJ have a podcast (not Sopranos based but obviously it is talked about a lot) and it's pretty good.

They constantly talk about how great a guy James Gandolfini was.

Many of the actors have good podcasts - Michael Imperioli and Steven Shiripa have a pretty good one, as does Drea de Matteo.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Rewatching at the moment, and at the end of Season 2.

I completely forgot that these two shot Chris. Just... why? I know they're idiots, but how was that ever going to result in anything but the end of them?
You’re supposed to push wabisticks.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Random bit of trivia.
Random thought but I always wonder how actors cope with being in roles where much of their purpose is to be the subject of ridicule based on their appearance/weight.

Must be even more difficult if she wasn’t a professional actor.