The South American non-favorites (Ecuador and Uruguay discussion thread)

NoPace

Figured neither needed a full thread yet and wanted to hear some takes from people, particularly South Americans.

I know Ecuador park the bus, and have good left-footed players (Plata, Estupinan, Hincapie) but not so good right footed ones (only Caicedo and Gruezo, as the rest aren't in the first 5 on the teamsheet) which suggests to me they might actually do better in 2026 since those players all young and it's surely easier to find right-footers at LW, RCB and RB to mostly complete the squad than the alternative one would think.

Re: Uruguay, are they sitting deep less since they have such good box to box midfielders for the first time in seemingly forever? Is Suarez looking decent enough to play 60 minutes and Cavani to play the other 30 next to Nunez, or will they end up benching both and just playing 4-5-1 to get more speed on the field and proper wingers and free up Valverde and Bentancur to get forward in the middle with the wingers real wide?

TheRedHearted

Just here to say i hope Ecuador smokes Qatar but then i start to feel quite bad, Qatar represents all those people who are taken advantage of, even those that died just as much as the ones who are making the money and the government. It’s a tough call

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Given the Brighton players in the squad, I will be paying close attention to Ecuador. I hope Sarmiento gets a decent amount of playing time, I'd like to see alot more of him.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Excited to see Manuel Ugarte play for Uruguay. Could announce himself to the world, kid is an animal.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Think (and also really hope) Uruguay could go far, they look quality on paper.

What is their defense likely going to be? Araujo - Godin - Gimenez - Olivera?

@antohan

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Uruguay should be o.k getting through the group and will be the usual pain in the backside to eliminate in the knock outs.

Shame their main two strikers are probably too old now to make significant impact at this world cup (Cavani picked up yet another injury in run up to this) as Bentancur and Valverde are both in amazing form so their strongest selection of CMs for a very long time at a world cup.

Not impossible Ecuador couldn't make the last 16 either but they'll need to beat Qatar and playing hosts in first game is always very tough.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Think (and also really hope) Uruguay could go far, they look quality on paper.

What is their defense likely going to be? Araujo - Godin - Gimenez - Olivera?

@antohan
We haven't had as good a midfield in my lifetime but we are very weak elsewhere.

Godín is past it and has hardly played all of this year. I used to have his injury, it's something that randomly plays up and you can't play through pain. I reckon he goes as captain and cheerleader.

Araújo had surgery, shouldn't be ready but if group's looking good may be eased back to start knockouts. Giménez is made of glass so I'd be surprised if these two ever start together.

The only nailed on starters at the back are Olivera and Coates if you ask me. Cáceres may wind up playing regularly as he is a JOS utility option.

We are struggling at RB, so much so we may play a winger there... but you'd do that with three CBs and we can hardly field two. That's not good news for Pellistri, by the way.

I'd throw caution to the wind and play a 4-4-2 diamond with attack prioritised in both fullbacks and De la Cruz switching flanks to support and overload.

------------------Rochet
Varela--Giménez-Coates---Olivera
--------------------Vecino
------Valverde------------Bentancur
---------------de Arrascaeta
-------------Nuñez---De la Cruz

Leave the quality/experience of Godín/Suárez/Cavani as an option off the bench, not something to rely on for the best part of a game.

antohan

Uruguay I think could do very well - that is a very strong midfield they have.
On paper it may lack stars in our traditionally strong attack and defence, but we could have 8-9 starters being graduates from the NT youth teams, five of whom reached an U20 WC semifinal playing together.

When you are cobbling together loose pieces as you do in international football, that can end up being more relevant than whether each of them now plays for Real Madrid or Getafe.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I have a big soft spot for both teams , due to Ecuador being my favourite country that I’ve visited bar none (I quickly fell in love in it and since then rooted for their NT), and Uruguay since their game against Ghana in 2010 (when I insist that it is justice that they went through) and based on the fact they are so successful relative to their population.

I expect Uruguay to go through from their group (hopefully they start their younger players and not Godin, Cavani etc.). I’m not particularly confident about Ecuador also reaching the knockout stages, but I’ll be rooting for them to make a positive start by beating the host.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Uruguay vs Portugal will be very interesting

antohan

Uruguay vs Portugal will be very interesting
The battle of the past it forwards?

Portugal's defence is better and their midfield has more goals in it I'm afraid.

Fixture order is a nightmare, exactly how I would not arrange them. Ideally would have been Ghana-Korea-Portugal, that would suit our temperament better.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I want them to do extremely well but have a hard time seeing that to be honest.

NoPace

Leave the quality/experience of Godín/Suárez/Cavani as an option off the bench, not something to rely on for the best part of a game.
Tempting to just use Suarez and Cavani for 45 minutes each and let them go full pelt for a half each, no? Still good in the build up to try to set up the running of Nunez, Valverde and Bentancur with flicks and clever link play.

antohan

Tempting to just use Suarez and Cavani for 45 minutes each and let them go full pelt for a half each, no? Still good in the build up to try to set up the running of Nunez, Valverde and Bentancur with flicks and clever link play.
We may end up doing it, but it doesn't really work.

Firstly, because it sort of takes responsibility away from others that end up being too deferential. And then, as we channel the play through them, they are easy to neutralise. This isn't peak Suárez so it's as easily done as it is said. Exhibit A, Cristiano this season.

That's why we almost missed out on the World Cup altogether until we changed manager and mixed it up sticking in the likes of Pellistri in the team.

NoPace

We may end up doing it, but it doesn't really work.

Firstly, because it sort of takes responsibility away from others that end up being too deferential. And then, as we channel the play through them, they are easy to neutralise. This isn't peak Suárez so it's as easily done as it is said. Exhibit A, Cristiano this season.

That's why we almost missed out on the World Cup altogether until we changed manager and mixed it up sticking in the likes of Pellistri in the team.
Makes sense. I haven't seen much of De La Cruz.

I just sort of assumed even a washed up Suarez was canny enough to still be a decent all-around player in international football (at least versus Korea or Ghana) whereas Cristiano looks like he's learned nothing about how to play as a traditional 9 sadly.

antohan

Makes sense. I haven't seen much of De La Cruz.
Neither have our opponents. De la Cruz is no better than Jesse Lingard, but he is dynamic, puts in the movement and workrate, and has played with Valverde and Bentancur at youth level so they combine really well.

Suárez is canny enough and I certainly would bring him on against tired defences.

antohan

In line with supporting grassroots football, an ad meeting the first "Baby football" (6-12 year old) coaches of some NT players.

Gasolin

How good is Uruguay? I really hope South Korea can beat them. Wishful thinking, I know.

antohan

How good is Uruguay? I really hope South Korea can beat them. Wishful thinking, I know.
Japan and South Korea always give us a tough game. We always have a better team on paper, but they are disciplined, have great stamina and play at a faster tempo than we would like.

World Cup record is P2 W2 but it was a jammy 1-0 in 1990 and a hard-fought 2-1 in 2010 (a side that made the SF).

We also typically lose the opener against "lesser" sides, so there's that as well :nervous:

antohan

From the in-game mood of some players and post match interviews you can easily infer the senior Uruguay players are unhappy with the manager's negative tactics.

Q: "Why isn't it working?"
A: "You'll have to ask Alonso, he can give you a better tactics explanation"

With so many having their last shot, while finally (but only) having a midfield, it was inevitable that the manager's lack of credentials, as manager or player, could land us here. Just when I was recovering from the Rangnick era :annoyed:

We are like Argentina at the last few World Cups, but we don't have Messi.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
The third game will surely be as lively as you can get, negative tactics or not, so let’s wait and see…