The State of the Anti-United Media (Or just the state of the club it seems)

EyeInTheSky

They openly admitted on the Sunday Supplement "it felt like it would be a Spurs story" before the game. Hinting they'd set up for that. Another stated in a downbeat tone that it would have been more about Spurs because if United lost than the United board had said they wouldn't sack Mourinho, so they couldn't go with that angle.

At no point would our win be discussed, basically.

They'll have it all ready if we lose the final or may even push the boat out when we draw at West Ham in an end of season dead rubber.

It's sad, really.
Love that we were the party poopers for both them and city. Good to see these twa*s cry themselves to sleep

CA1

For those not UK based or watched it on another platform, the match was on the BBC.

We had literally 2 minutes analysis after, just a brief interview with Smalling and Herrera. And then they went off for a Celebrity gameshow re-run.

And the BBC wonder why they don't get many games anymore?

I wondered what the chances were that if Spurs had won, they may have just found the time? :wenger:

Dante

Average bang
For those not UK based or watched it on another platform, the match was on the BBC.

We had literally 2 minutes analysis after, just a brief interview with Smalling and Herrera. And then they went off for a Celebrity gameshow re-run.

And the BBC wonder why they don't get many games anymore?

I wondered what the chances were that if Spurs had won, they may have just found the time? :wenger:
Zero. There's no conspiracy.

JK-27

Just watch this and sit in awe of Jeff trying to dance on Jose's grave yet again.

How does he even link Jose to this?
Has Merson been hitting the bottle again? Some bizarre statements. As if Jose is going to sell Pogba for £50 million.

Jericholyte2

Felt the need to bump this whilst watching Soccer Saturday. Stelling, normally a bit jokey but respected really throwing in the jabs about 90m Pogba, 27m Shaw, 52m Fred, 75m Lukaku and how Jose has to prove he's the best.

No mention of the four academy players who took part in the match and that, in this single match, academy players played more minutes than in the entirety of last season for City.

I certainly hope they used the same stick to beat Pep with whenever he has a bad result.

Zoo

Felt the need to bump this whilst watching Soccer Saturday. Stelling, normally a bit jokey but respected really throwing in the jabs about 90m Pogba, 27m Shaw, 52m Fred, 75m Lukaku and how Jose has to prove he's the best.

I certainly hope they used the same stick to beat Pep with whenever he has a bad result.
I thought it was weird how they were claiming that Jose’s goal celebrations were OTT and fake. He can’t win.

Charlie Nicholas is biggest t*sser on there.

99withaflake

No mention of the four academy players who took part in the match and that, in this single match, academy players played more minutes than in the entirety of last season for City.

I thought it was weird how they were claiming that Jose’s goal celebrations were OTT and fake. He can’t win.

Charlie Nicholas is biggest t*sser on there.
Hated, adored, never ignored.

They’re more interested in United than their own clubs lol

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Assuming that's true, that's a great stat.

Wish there was a way to force into the media ... swamp a media outlet inbox or something.

I don't mind United getting some grief, it's when other clubs (especially the beloved Liverpool and that tw@t Pep) get hardly anything. That's what pisses me off.

Jericholyte2

Assuming that's true, that's a great stat.

Wish there was a way to force into the media ... swamp a media outlet inbox or something.

I don't mind United getting some grief, it's when other clubs (especially the beloved Liverpool and that tw@t Pep) get hardly anything. That's what pisses me off.
I'd read that there was a combined total of 243 minutes IIRC. Last season City gave academy players 106 minutes playing time.

Miscemayl

This isn't new and it's great... It only happens when we are going well... During the Moyes years all the media were so positive despite us clearly free falling

SirAnderson

Oh man, I don't know where to begin with this one.
But it's so terrible that I try not to read anything the media says cause it's almost always negative.

Some revel in it, I just think it's plain and simple crap journalism.

There was this transfer tracker site that was recording all the signings: for all Liverpool's transfers it was in Pound Sterling £. But for Manchester it was in the Euro € lol a laughable attempt to make our cost look more and theirs less, something so stupid.

Another article was heralding the demise of Jose, saying its inevitable that he will implode this season and that it's not a matter of its but when. Again, laughable hatred.

Then there is the constant need to highlight and scrutinize every little rumor as fact. Pogba to Barcelona for 50mil, etc. Can't they see that we see straight through the crap. Or are they just happy that there are other deluded opposition fans that are drinking down the kool-aid they pouring.

GiddyUp

What gets me is the supposedly guaranteed title to city and out of the rest of the league, only United are expected to compete. Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs get a pass every season but apart from Arsenal they have superior players in most positions then we do. Yet I have not heard a fecking peep from the media.
We played shit last season and ended up quite comfortable in 2nd after a few horrible seasons and upheaval in the club. Spurs and Liverpool are perennial bottlers but the media would have you think they are flawless. Chelsea just broke the GK transfer record for a fecking nobody and liverpool spent the 2nd highest on a brazilian keeper they had no problems purring 7 past in April. Lets see if they get any of the criticism an 18 year old whippet got for us when they make an error. Very unlikely.

0161_UNITED

There really is no Anti-United media. There are certain pundits and ex-players who support Liverpool or City, who don’t like us, for sure.

But sensationalist headlines get clicks and money, and nobody wants to read an article entitled “United take sensible, financially responsible approach to the transfer market” as opposed to “Jose’s gone Nuclear! Exclusive insider tells all about his explosive feud with Ed Woodward”.

Kostur

海尔的老板
The thing is real. Even here on Polish canal+ yesterday's match commentary annoyed the shit out of me, when I quite like both of the commentators who were on the job yesterday, they don't seem to be biased, both of them knowledgeable about the league. Problem being, so much shit they spouted yesterday that was simply not true, almost as if they prepared for the match with some twitter baits. Mourinho moaning about playing on Friday because he doesn't want to play before other rivals, Fred for 60 mil pounds, Mourinho being reluctant to praise Pogba for his WC appearances, just some of the bits that spring to my mind.

I doubt they're anyhow biased against us, the point being, shit sells if it's about United, negative or not, true or not, doesn't really matter.

NoLogo

There really is no Anti-United media. There are certain pundits and ex-players who support Liverpool or City, who don’t like us, for sure.

But sensationalist headlines get clicks and money, and nobody wants to read an article entitled “United take sensible, financially responsible approach to the transfer market” as opposed to “Jose’s gone Nuclear! Exclusive insider tells all about his explosive feud with Ed Woodward”.
That's how I see it as well. Also agree on the click bait stuff but unforatunately this seems to the standard in of reporting in the majority of all football related media these days. Naturally writing about us will always attract clicks, we got the most fans and the most haters, so no matter what you write about us someone will be eager to read it.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Thankfully the Noggie commentators has no bias towards anyone, bar the occasional jizzfest over Klopp or Pep.

bonothom

The media love the scousers. They are desperate for them to win the title.

Davs

There is definitely an agenda against United for now. I would absolutely love for us to slay the league this season just to p*ss off the media.

Jinn

There is definitely an agenda against United for now. I would absolutely love for us to slay the league this season just to p*ss off the media.
We should have an agenda for Utd. I mean we should have a group of journalist absolutely dismantling the anti Utd stories. As soon as an article pops up, which is negative about Utd, they should crucify the article including the journalist. Would be fun.

JK-27

Watched Football Focus and MOTD yesterday. Over our preseason the media, and particularly the BBC have been saying Jose is moaning about not having his first team available for preseason, and he should just get on with it and stop making excuses.

On Football Focus they discussed Spurs, and said they'd had a difficult preseason because they had 9 players away for the WC. Well, we had 12 players away, so how come in their Utd coverage they said Jose should get on with it, but the very same issue is an excuse for Spurs?

Then on MOTD, during the Spurs game review, they again said Spurs had a difficult preseason because players were away and you could see that in the game, yet for us we're told we're lacking quality?

Clear bias. They are beating us with a stick and at the same time praising Spurs over the exact same thing.

Nikelesh Reddy

Yeah,but it was Mourinho who let them have a field day by some of his comments and brooding behaviour.Pogbas given them another field day with his comments today...Maybe if the players and the manager stopped taking potshots at each other,the negativity won’t reach such a toxic level...

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Interesting listening to commentary in the City match: the amount of praise is just incredible.

When we were good I don't ever recall this type of fawning. Must just be cognitive bias.

0161_UNITED

Yeah,but it was Mourinho who let them have a field day by some of his comments and brooding behaviour.Pogbas given them another field day with his comments today...Maybe if the players and the manager stopped taking potshots at each other,the negativity won’t reach such a toxic level...
What does that have to do with the media? That’s about Mourinho and Pogba.

Acole9

Outstanding
Just saw some comments from Sunday supplement, they said Chelsea don't have to sell Hazard but we'll have no choice but to sell Pogba...

Judas

Open to offers
I don't really get why people give the media the attention and reaction they crave. In this modern era, its so easy to ignore it all and just pay attention to what you want. I suppose it comes with age for me, I've just grown out of getting wound up by the nonsense.

Andersons Dietician

Just saw some comments from Sunday supplement, they said Chelsea don't have to sell Hazard but we'll have no choice but to sell Pogba...
Don’t recall seeing that bit but after the United section I did sort of phase out. They played it more that, ED is the most powerful man at OT and that really they beleive Pogba has stronger footing than Jose and if it comes to it Jose will be the one ousted, as they beleive currently at United he is in the weakest position. It wasn’t all a hate Jose parade, as they actually backed him on what he said about Pogba, but after Pogbas words they think they’re will be another response from Jose via the media in a press conference.

Kag

If we were winning every week while playing fantastic, attacking football then we would be praised, too. The problem is, we're not doing that.

We don't win Premier League titles. We don't reach Champions League finals. We don't play attractive football either. We spend an awful lot of money. We've got managers and players creating stories for them through sheer idiocy (right infront of the bloody cameras!). Truly, what do you expect?

There is no agenda - albeit there is a huge interest in everything United which can create a real volume of stories surrounding certain issues. As a club, we've just made it too easy to be criticised. I really do think this thread in particular (like all of the ABU-related material) is a real blight on the football boards. It's the sort of stuff you'd laugh at other prominent football forums for.

"Baconface-controlling FA supported through ringmaster Gill"

Same whining, same paranoia.

littlepeasoup

I don't really get why people give the media the attention and reaction they crave. In this modern era, its so easy to ignore it all and just pay attention to what you want. I suppose it comes with age for me, I've just grown out of getting wound up by the nonsense.
I'd honestly rate some opinions on here far higher than some professional journos. Some are excellent, and David Squires is fantastic (although not a journalist in the true sense of the word), but most I assume get by on nepotism, a B-grade English GCSE, and the ability to talk sh*t until the cows come home.

GazTheLegend

Interesting listening to commentary in the City match: the amount of praise is just incredible.

When we were good I don't ever recall this type of fawning. Must just be cognitive bias.
No, it’s not all cognitive bias. The media really were genuinely bought and paid for by Sheikh Mansour at the beginning of the blue revolution - basically there was a concerted effort on their part to make sure that all journo’s were treated lavishly at the beginning of their reign, and it seems that goodwill stretched to the present day.

Also many neutrals are fine with Man City because there are few traditional rivalries, in addition to their being a ready made excuse if your team does lose to them - the sheikhs billions.

We were successful at a time when a lot of our rivals were competing - Leeds, Liverpool, Arsenal etc, and Alex Ferguson was rarely popular with the media for various (in my opinion justifiable) reasons, and again that has carried on to the present.

Josep Dowling

Zinchenko isn't from their academy, they signed him at 19 after he'd already made his debut for Ukraine. I think Foden got all of those minutes.
Well that is a shocking stat. I know Pogba does distort that stat a little but still.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/13/premier-league-10-talking-points-weekend-action

Diogo Dalot is the third option but, at 19, made just eight first‑team appearances for Porto before his £24m sale.

This insistence of lying about our fee's is bizarre and boring already. Why on earth would be willingly pay more than his clause which was, what, 18m?
My guess is they're including total contract wages, which seems to be standard practice when it's a United player.

Infestissumam

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/13/premier-league-10-talking-points-weekend-action

Diogo Dalot is the third option but, at 19, made just eight first‑team appearances for Porto before his £24m sale.

This insistence of lying about our fee's is bizarre and boring already. Why on earth would be willingly pay more than his clause which was, what, 18m?
even Porto themselves confirmed that they get €22m (around £19.6m).

http://www.fcporto.ws/index.php?action=ezportal&sa=page&p=4367

so yeah, either they add wages or inflate the fee just for fun and clicks.