The State of the Anti-United Media (Or just the state of the club it seems)

prath92

Eh, what is wrong with that article again? Genuinely don't understand what you're criticizing?

It was clear that parts of the crowd were booing the decision to sub off Rashford before then giving him a standing ovation.

I also think this ABU paranoia is so incredibly childish and embarrassing.
Maybe but most analysts save a few seemed genuinely upset that united won.

Jev

I think it's also sometimes a case of fans waiting to hear that one word that will agitate them - and then blowing it out of proportions. As this thread is evidence of.

Shiva87

I think it's also sometimes a case of fans waiting to hear that one word that will agitate them - and then blowing it out of proportions. As this thread is evidence of.
That's rich. If you read the OP, it's quite clear that I though the article was decent - but I hate the general lack of sincerity in nature of their reporting. I was quite drunk post game and may have extended the logic in the tread title a bit (should have read more like the state of the media (Period)). But what I saw on TV was a big applause, and the fans were quite understanding of what Jose tried to do. Don't see why the article couldn't have stopped before the last line. It was very unnecessary to add that bit.

I say this because most people who don't watch United games here in India really read only the papers the next morning. Its happened a number of times that my mates at office come up to me with some hogwash about United games - where anyone who actually watched that game would clearly know otherwise.

It was about United fans wanting Lukaku sold (after the City game), United fans thinking Pogba is a waste of money (i don't think any fan thinks that way - even though some want much more from his), etc. etc.

prath92

Not really. The video posted in the previous page is evidence of it where pundits go on about how this isn’t the right way to play

Jev

That's rich. If you read the OP, it's quite clear that I though the article was decent - but I hate the general lack of sincerity in nature of their reporting. I was quite drunk post game and may have extended the logic in the tread title a bit (should have read more like the state of the media (Period)). But what I saw on TV was a big applause, and the fans were quite understanding of what Jose tried to do. Don't see why the article couldn't have stopped before the last line. It was very unnecessary to add that bit.

I say this because most people who don't watch United games here in India really read only the papers the next morning. Its happened a number of times that my mates at office come up to me with some hogwash about United games - where anyone who actually watched that game would clearly know otherwise.

It was about United fans wanting Lukaku sold (after the City game), United fans thinking Pogba is a waste of money (i don't think any fan thinks that way - even though some want much more from his), etc. etc.
What is wrong with the last line of the article? I honestly don't understand what you're criticizing.

Shiva87

This was really funny. Frank De Boer and Glenn Hoddle saying this is not how they want to play. :lol:
Just saw the video. The bit where Shay Given said - "Fegie always set his team up to win games, but with Mourinho is all about getting the result". :houllier::houllier::houllier:

Shiva87

What is wrong with the last line of the article? I honestly don't understand what you're criticizing.
Maybe we're reading the article different. Also, a collective groan is different from booing. I don't think united supported booed the rashford substitution. Like I said, happy to be proven wrong by anyone who has a GIF. But, my point is that - while the whole article seems to be making a good point, what stands out if the fact that the Rashford subsitution was boo-ed (implying discord between the match going fans and the manager)

prath92

Just saw the video. The bit where Shay Given said - "Fegie always set his team up to win games, but with Mourinho is all about getting the result". :houllier::houllier::houllier:
Worse was on Bein. Stefan Freund former Dortmund player who said Liverpool was the better team yesterday

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
It’s getting ridiculous how bad punditry has become. The only one who made sense yesterday was Jamie carragher. How people like Souness, Michael Owen and Frack de Boer still get asked to give their opinions on football matches is beyond me.

Web of Bissaka

And both are out of the coaching job, unsurprisingly.
:D

I love how these supposedly attacking teams moan when another team put up a defensive masterclass to stifle them. I mean, do they expect the opposition to just sit there and watch them pass around?

Why do we not get credit for putting up a defensive masterclass but when an attacking team beats a weaker team, they get applauded for putting up an attacking masterclass? The state of the punditry at sky and BT is embarrassing bar Nev and Carra.

Then, we have morons like De Boer who goes around saying he won't set his team up in that manner when he couldn't even get CP to score goals and save his job.
:lol:

Lucky number 7

De boer good player terrible manager. He needs some way to get into the public eye, clown! Mourinho isn’t afraid to drop anyone, even our record buy Pogba! So why on earth would he not drop a 20 year old who’s played over 40 games this season and was in terrible form? Idiot! that’s why you failed at management.

Web of Bissaka

It’s getting ridiculous how bad punditry has become. The only one who made sense yesterday was Jamie carragher. How people like Souness, Michael Owen and Frack de Boer still get asked to give their opinions on football matches is beyond me.
Jamie Carragher is fast becoming my favorite pundit. I don't mind listening to his explanations and way of discussions. G Nev mostly not so bad, as does some ex-players of the game who are actually knows what they're talking about.

Probably they want comedians. But okay more seriously, their admin/PR or whatever teams would probably wants pundits that certainly will invoke reactions (from both football fans that wants to hear it and football fans who sees much wrong with it). More attention given, more exposure and probably more click-baits/retweets/shared/etc which if I'm not mistaken is directly related with some income/advertising/sponsor's requirements or something. I don't quite get it how it works specifically.

Edit: So pretty much since United gain the most attention worldwide and locally. Get many people to talk many shit about us, preferably (ex or still in the game) managers or players that are anti-united, and even better people who are associated with the club itself.

Last edited:

Trizy

This was really funny. Frank De Boer and Glenn Hoddle saying this is not how they want to play. :lol:
2:30 the Liverpool fan saying they bossed us? What game was he watching :lol:. We had to score FOR them ffs.

Denis' cuff

Idiotic responses such as “rawkish” are shallow and embarrassing. Despite the fawning over Liverpool in the media, they have lagged behind us all season. As have Spurs and Chelsea, all of whom have enjoyed generous praise. Little or no praise given to United’s management of this game or any other this season. No surprise given the amount of ex Liverpool players in the media but that is only part of the story. Liverpools past success was built on solid defence and work ethic. Hardly the flowing, attacking football of United renown yet admirable, nonetheless. The media purred through it all and most of it was justified but the main difference was that their negative side, both in their often defensive play and thuggish players such as Smith, Case, Souness etc we’re universally admired and overlooked. Justified by their success. How things have changed. Liverpool aside, the “special one” tag, generously applied to Jose in his Chelsea days has become a note of derision for a manager who has suddenly become negative since his arrival st OT with little regard given to the mess he inherited or his previously heralded success. This is not just my perspective. The main difference is the media being predominantly London based with little objectivity since the centralisation of the media resulting in bitter, success starved southern based so called journalists and presenters resentful of United’s 20 year stint of trophy gathering coming on the back of Liverpools similar success. The last thing they can stomach is more of the same. Little dwelling on United’s treble of 99, for instance; they couldn’t wait wait to create their ridiculous outrage over the Brazil tour, (after the Beckham witch hunt in France 98 followed by his national hero status once he left OT) that we were pressured into going. Imagine if we hadn’t and poor England’s WC bid failed? We know all clubs have their little issues but really, this is without the individual player witch hunts and anti Sky takeover etc etc. The only analyst, for me, with any credibility, ironically, is Carragher. For the most part, makes his points honestly, and without Neville, Redknapp’s etc need for the “look at me, I’m on telly” headline, attention seeking sound bites. Endless, isn’t it? but put your cool aside and never mind history, just put the fecking telly on.

40+ years of journo shit right there^.:D

oz insomniac

Watched the game live here in Sydney, and don't know the names of the commentators. Unfortunately, the so called colour man, seemed to spend the whole game questioning referee decisions that he felt didn't penalise United.

Don't know if it was Neville but he certainly suggested that Rashford should have been sent off for a second foul and that penalties were warranted. It seemed so obvious that he wanted to death ride one side, it was embarrassing.

The broadcasters need to ensure that commentators shelve bias as it impacts on the quality of their product.

Smores

Grow up. The media takes turns criticising all of the big clubs, albeit some more than others. It's just embarrassing to insinuate the media as a whole hates us.
Tbh It's embarrassing to come in here and pretend they don't. The papers are a small circle of close journalists who often take offence at clubs or manager the idea that this close gents club are all 100% unbiased is laughable.

No one is saying its every paper or pundit but Sky and BTs narrative is clear and their pundits are as biased as they come. It's clear as day Neville is under instruction from Sky.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Watching Sunday supplement and it's the same bullshit . Long discussion on how this is not United , fergie era bla vla . Just a bad day for Liverpool . John cross actually said that Liverpool are more equipped to mount a challenge next season because they have more attacking options

wolvored

The thing is in this country its like the biggest and/or the best are always there to be sniped at by everyone, and they love the underdog. Utd get the best and worst headlines as we are the biggest and still the best premier club trophies wise. When we were ourtplayed in the 99 European cup and won it in injury time and Bayern had taken their 2 best players off, I dont remember any negative press saying we shouldnt have won it. The reason being is that we were the underdogs then. By parking the bus at home in the 2nd half yesterday we opened up to getting slagged off.

JohnnyKills

Grow up. The media takes turns criticising all of the big clubs, albeit some more than others. It's just embarrassing to insinuate the media as a whole hates us.
Come on. Do you seriously think all the other big clubs get as much negative press as us?

I work in the sports media and to a man (and woman) all my colleagues say they hate United.

CA1

In my opinion the Media have a story ready to pounce on.

The story they were ready to pounce on, as they have been for the last 20 years, is that Liverpool are now better than Manchester United. They managed it one year- the Moyes season. The reaction after their 3-0 win at Old Trafford was massive, like they'd just won another 10 titles ahead of us. The media milked it.

They for some strange reason, expected the same yesterday. They're sadly mistaken- United are a good team under Mourinho and it will dawn on them soon. Liverpool also aren't as good as they think. I knew we'd get after them and cause them problems. My only gripe is that we do sit back a bit too much on a lead but that's for the United discussion threads with other United fans.

The game was similar to games between United and Liverpool in 2012 and 2013, Ferguson's last two seasons. United went 2-0 up playing well and then sat off. Liverpool get a goal and its a nervy end. Yesterday was almost identical so yes it was the Fergie way* actually.

*in fact, and I'm not berating Fergie here, I love the man but the Fergie way for three years on the spin was to lose 0-1 at home to a Danny Murphy goal and that was with one of our best teams in our history.

Zoo

De Boer also claimed that it was a huge shame that Rashford has Mourinho as his manager. He is one of LVG’s disciples.

Fitchett

Idiotic responses such as “rawkish” are shallow and embarrassing. Despite the fawning over Liverpool in the media, they have lagged behind us all season. As have Spurs and Chelsea, all of whom have enjoyed generous praise. Little or no praise given to United’s management of this game or any other this season. No surprise given the amount of ex Liverpool players in the media but that is only part of the story. Liverpools past success was built on solid defence and work ethic. Hardly the flowing, attacking football of United renown yet admirable, nonetheless. The media purred through it all and most of it was justified but the main difference was that their negative side, both in their often defensive play and thuggish players such as Smith, Case, Souness etc we’re universally admired and overlooked. Justified by their success. How things have changed. Liverpool aside, the “special one” tag, generously applied to Jose in his Chelsea days has become a note of derision for a manager who has suddenly become negative since his arrival st OT with little regard given to the mess he inherited or his previously heralded success. This is not just my perspective. The main difference is the media being predominantly London based with little objectivity since the centralisation of the media resulting in bitter, success starved southern based so called journalists and presenters resentful of United’s 20 year stint of trophy gathering coming on the back of Liverpools similar success. The last thing they can stomach is more of the same. Little dwelling on United’s treble of 99, for instance; they couldn’t wait wait to create their ridiculous outrage over the Brazil tour, (after the Beckham witch hunt in France 98 followed by his national hero status once he left OT) that we were pressured into going. Imagine if we hadn’t and poor England’s WC bid failed? We know all clubs have their little issues but really, this is without the individual player witch hunts and anti Sky takeover etc etc. The only analyst, for me, with any credibility, ironically, is Carragher. For the most part, makes his points honestly, and without Neville, Redknapp’s etc need for the “look at me, I’m on telly” headline, attention seeking sound bites. Endless, isn’t it? but put your cool aside and never mind history, just put the fecking telly on.

40+ years of journo shit right there^.:D
Absolutely spot on assessment :)

cyberman

Tbh It's embarrassing to come in here and pretend they don't. The papers are a small circle of close journalists who often take offence at clubs or manager the idea that this close gents club are all 100% unbiased is laughable.

No one is saying its every paper or pundit but Sky and BTs narrative is clear and their pundits are as biased as they come. It's clear as day Neville is under instruction from Sky.
I wouldn't say under instruction but the Sanchez earning 1m per day / Pep v money saga opened my eyes to this nonsense.
City are in the rise, that must mean Utd are in freefall so lets talk up Pep and lambast Jose. The problem lies in Utd being comfortably ahead of both Spurs and Liverpool so they can't come at him that way. The style of play is a substitute for that.

Castia

I’ve got no problems with what’s being said, in most cases they call it as they see it. The first half yesterday was great, we went forward with a purpose and if Mata scored the third it would have been game over and a well deserved hammering of Liverpool.

Then the second half happened and from the first minute you could see the mentality completely changed, we had 10 men camped on our 20 yard line ‘shutting up shop’ it’s frustrating.

Look a win is a win I’m delighted with the result but you come away scratching your head thinking why do we drastically need to change like that. He took Rashford off for Fellaini and just about got away with it...if that penalty was given against Fellaini then Jose is getting absolutely fecking destroyed by fans and the media today.

cyberman

I’ve got no problems with what’s being said, in most cases they call it as they see it. The first half yesterday was great, we went forward with a purpose and if Mata scored the third it would have been game over and a well deserved hammering of Liverpool.

Then the second half happened and from the first minute you could see the mentality completely changed, we had 10 men camped on our 20 yard line ‘shutting up shop’ it’s frustrating.

Look a win is a win I’m delighted with the result but you come away scratching your head thinking why do we drastically need to change like that. He took Rashford off for Fellaini and just about got away with it...if that penalty was given against Fellaini then Jose is getting absolutely fecking destroyed by fans and the media today.
But you see, that wasn't the approach. Jose was up screaming for our defenders to step forward, be admitted afterwards that Liverpool forced us back and it wasn't a United stradegy.
We scored in the 15th minute. We didn't score in the 45th so the second half alone shouldn't be seen as our response to going ahead. We were still pushing up from 15 to 45 to the point we actually scored another and missed a sitter.

JohnnyKills

In my opinion the Media have a story ready to pounce on.

The story they were ready to pounce on, as they have been for the last 20 years, is that Liverpool are now better than Manchester United. They managed it one year- the Moyes season. The reaction after their 3-0 win at Old Trafford was massive, like they'd just won another 10 titles ahead of us. The media milked it.

They for some strange reason, expected the same yesterday. They're sadly mistaken- United are a good team under Mourinho and it will dawn on them soon. Liverpool also aren't as good as they think. I knew we'd get after them and cause them problems. My only gripe is that we do sit back a bit too much on a lead but that's for the United discussion threads with other United fans.

The game was similar to games between United and Liverpool in 2012 and 2013, Ferguson's last two seasons. United went 2-0 up playing well and then sat off. Liverpool get a goal and its a nervy end. Yesterday was almost identical so yes it was the Fergie way* actually.

*in fact, and I'm not berating Fergie here, I love the man but the Fergie way for three years on the spin was to lose 0-1 at home to a Danny Murphy goal and that was with one of our best teams in our history.
Yeah agreed.

I hate the bus-parking but perhaps it's justified given we've got Sevilla in a couple of days.

The media desperately wants Liverpool to overtake us as you say.

Red00012

The only way we can quieten the media is on the field and the last 3 games must have annoyed them! Another win on Tuesday night followed by cup on Saturday night and we’ll quieten them some more! You’re them talking about a quarter final champs league and a fa cup semi and 2nd in league albeit that is as good as we can finish. If you were to ask me at the start of the season on the 17th March that’s where we’ll be at I would have taken it.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
@Denis' cuff @CA1 absolutely agree with both of you.

The agenda that drives some football journalists is plain on the nose on your face. I am just surprised more people can't see that.

prath92

He took off Rashford mainly because Rashford himself could have been sent off. Plus I’m guessing martial isn’t a sure thing for Tuesday either. So we need Rashford then

Castia

But you see, that wasn't the approach. Jose was up screaming for our defenders to step forward, be admitted afterwards that Liverpool forced us back and it wasn't a United stradegy.
We scored in the 15th minute. We didn't score in the 45th so the second half alone shouldn't be seen as our response to going ahead. We were still pushing up from 15 to 45 to the point we actually scored another and missed a sitter.

Nah I don’t agree, this Liverpool side yesterday were poor, their better players did nothing we invited the pressure onto us. Jose was out applauding a McTominay back pass whilst on the break then took off Rashford for Fellaini, he’s tried to kill the game at half time.

Castia

He took off Rashford mainly because Rashford himself could have been sent off. Plus I’m guessing martial isn’t a sure thing for Tuesday either. So we need Rashford then

Did he neck, it was tactical. He would have replaced him Lingard in that regard but he brought on Fellaini, who in turn should have had a stone wall penalty against him. It was the right decision in the fact we got the win, if that pen was given it would be looked at the worst sub in recent memory.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
In fairness, the MUFC hate/jealousy has been present for decades.
This happened when MUFC were winning most of the trophies, during the SAF years.
When SAF quit and we hired Moyes and the media were in love us, due to the Moyes connection.
Moyes dragged us down and the media (and rivals), took pity on us. The hate had turned to pity.
This continued during the LVG years, where we won little. The media picked up a lot on how boring we were. At this point, I'd say that media and rivals were neutral towards us.
When Jose joined us, this was a match made in heaven. The media like to spread negativity about MUFC and they don't like Jose.
The negativity/hate/jealousy ramped up during last season, when we won 2 trophies.
This season we are in 2nd (above LFC, Spurs, etc...only MCFC are above us, now). Still in the CL. Still in the FA Cup.
At this point, the media and our rivals are having flashbacks of what things were like under SAF, when we used to win the majority of trophies (last year we won more trophies than any other team in the league).

So, finally, after 3 years out of the limelight. The pity. The "I feel sorry for them". "They are the new Liverpool". Hiring 2 failed managerial appointments. The losers' mentality. We are now looking close to what we once were, during the SAF years and as a result the jealous media/rivals are once again pouring on the hate.

And I LOVE IT!!!

el3mel

That ball wasn't a Penalty, also welcome to world of football, because in another scenario Mata would have scored the third and the own goal would have been useless.

How can anyone find something to criticize for yesterday is baffling. We played a perfect game from first to last minute. Destroyed them in first half and defended brilliantly in second one. Liverpool got zero chance to score even when in possession. There's not half arsed chance I can mention for them. We were in full control of the game and the game could have lasted till now and they wouldn't have scored yet.

Football is game of transitions and it was clear Liverpool were going to commit players more forward after being 2-0 down. Everyone predicted that. We still nullified them and let them control possession aimlessly. That was Mourinho at his peak game.

cyberman

Nah I don’t agree, this Liverpool side yesterday were poor, their better players did nothing we invited the pressure onto us. Jose was out applauding a McTominay back pass whilst on the break then took off Rashford for Fellaini, he’s tried to kill the game at half time.
So they just happened to be poor or was it down to Jose that they were poor?
You seem to be dismissing what we did well as incidental which doesn't make sense.

Rob67

Journalists and pundits have been waiting 25 odd years to stick the knife into United. We were winning everything under Sir Alex, who had little time for half of the idiots.
Let them crack on. Just proves to me that we on on the way back up.

Castia

So they just happened to be poor or was it down to Jose that they were poor?
You seem to be dismissing what we did well as incidental which doesn't make sense.
Well in the first half they created nothing and even in the second half they didn’t have a shot on goal. Mane was poor, Salah too and Firminho didn’t offer much we played well defensively. Baily despite the mistake is a class above and Young was brilliant, I’m not here criticising the players just the second half approach.

You could see straight away at the 46 minute mark our intention, every man was sat back whilst Lukaku stayed upfield trying to be a target man. We didn’t do anything like that first half, it was a completely different gameplan because we had he 2 goal lead in my opinion.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Can't really tell, maybe it's just ABU drivel and maybe most of them have been so far up Klopp's arse with their previous comments that they simply can't make a U-turn now because it will make them look like ignoramus bell-ends. Or maybe they just know what comments cause a reaction to each fan base.

IMO, it's not about the style of football per se as it is about the correlation of this particular brand of football with a portion of United's faithful who want to see something different on the pitch. It's also not about any reactive manager as it is about Mourinho. These two things generate discussion, heated arguments and clicks on the internet. Hell, it's what we discuss on this very forum more than anything else, why should the media try and focus their criticism elsewhere? They already know what will draw the attention of United fans their way.

Sometimes, like yesterday, they try a bit too hard. They could point out Liverpool's spirited attempts to come back from 2-0 down but then they would have to admit that Klopp doesn't have the answers to everything. And you simply can't tell the Liverpool fans that Klopp isn't the "bestest" manager in the world and that success isn't waiting for them just around the corner. That's the stuff they've been feeding on for over a quarter of a century.

It's funny because Souness' comment that United won't go anywhere with this type of football reminded me of a discussion i had with some friends who are Liverpool supporters a couple of weeks ago when Liverpool had thrashed Porto while we were held to a goalless draw in Sevilla. They were absolutely convinced that Liverpool are best favourites, alongside City, to win the CL. When i asked why, they boasted about Liverpool being a goal-scoring machine that can beat anyone. When i mentioned that the likes of RM/Barca/Munich cannot only attack as well as Liverpool but also have better defences, they just grinned and quoted Victor Hugo: "No force on earth can stop an idea whose time has come". Yeah, right...

Maybe the press knows what will generate discussion among all fan bases. I mean, even the most ardent Mourinho fans on here won't tell you that United are best favourites to win the CL and even the most optimistic among us are concerned with City's progress. I don't think that this type of arse licking would be acceptable by United fans. Similarly, i believe the pundits know that digs about the quality of the football will fall on deaf ears at the Bridge. They've enjoyed so much success in the last decade with mostly reactive football that they'll just wave such comments away.

Fitchett

Yep, you know we are on our way back when the ABU media are in full flow.
Watched MOTD last night and Sky's Goals on Sunday this morning. Plenty of coverage of the possible penalties that Liverpool could gave had (Bailly/ Milner tussle, Salah crowded out by three players, Valencia handball which every time was shown in slow motion rather than the real time speed, Mane/ Fellaini collision). Plus also, how Rashford could have picked up a second yellow card. But of course, no coverage of how Dejan elbowed McTominey in the back of the head and then how Dejan went through Fellaini three times in quick succession, which should have been two yellow cards.
United and Mourinho are beating the UK media's darlings and they hate it :lol: