The State of the Anti-United Media (Or just the state of the club it seems)

thoward

It's not a lisp!
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/13/premier-league-10-talking-points-weekend-action

Diogo Dalot is the third option but, at 19, made just eight first‑team appearances for Porto before his £24m sale.

This insistence of lying about our fee's is bizarre and boring already. Why on earth would be willingly pay more than his clause which was, what, 18m?

Yeah it's annoying, the Depay transfer was another example a few years where the BBC were continually quoting the price higher than it was. Mind you, you can get United fans on this and other forums mentioning figures higher than players signed actually cost, and for players sold mentioning figures lower than the players were sold for, in order to fit in with their own agenda.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Anybody got any idea what claims this tweet is referring to? I'm pretty sure I haven't heard Jose Mourinho say a single word about Godin since preseason started.

Sing you a song

We take great delight in telling everyone who will listen that we are the biggest club in the world .so obviously we tend to get the most media attention.
Like most things in life good news is no news therefore the media focus in on the bad things in life to generate news headlines whether it is morbidly recounting every single detail of a gruesome murder regardless of how devastating it is for family and friends of the victim .these stories fill the front pages , celebrity infidelities fill the middle pages and United more often than not provide the fodder for the back pages .
A “ good “ positive story about United will fall away quickly but a negative story tend to hang around like a bad smell particularly in slow news days/ weeks .
It has always been the same everyone likes to see the mighty fall even when Fergie was winning everything the press still hunted around desperately for some bad news to report .

Unfortunately now we also have a manager in place who every time he opens his mouth feeds the press negativity and bitterness , how the press must love him , do the press have an agenda against United ? If it is an opportunity to sell papers then yes , but Mourinho is just as much to blame .
United have always been top of the most loved teams but also top of the most hated such is life when you are successful, but in my view the number of haters is beginning to overtake the number of lover and for this Jose is more to blame than the press

Paul Martin

Supports
Liverpool
If we were winning every week while playing fantastic, attacking football then we would be praised, too. The problem is, we're not doing that.

We don't win Premier League titles. We don't reach Champions League finals. We don't play attractive football either. We spend an awful lot of money. We've got managers and players creating stories for them through sheer idiocy (right infront of the bloody cameras!). Truly, what do you expect?

There is no agenda - albeit there is a huge interest in everything United which can create a real volume of stories surrounding certain issues. As a club, we've just made it too easy to be criticised. I really do think this thread in particular (like all of the ABU-related material) is a real blight on the football boards. It's the sort of stuff you'd laugh at other prominent football forums for.

"Baconface-controlling FA supported through ringmaster Gill"

Same whining, same paranoia.
Pretty much agree with all this. Most fan-sets of the top 6 have elements that reckon the media, the match officials of the FA or whoever has an agenda against them. Liverpool are just as bad. It's a load of boll###s IMO.

There will be some media against Utd as there are a number of Liverpool pundits spouting on, but to suggest there's an agenda, that they all have a meeting at the start of the season to say, "Right lads/lasses. This season, we're going to slag off everything Jose says, jump all over Fred every time he misplaces a pass, lambast Pogba every time he goes on social media, etc" is just farcical.

Too many sensitive fans (people in general!) these days who don't like/can't handle criticism of their own!

Andersons Dietician

Yeah it's annoying, the Depay transfer was another example a few years where the BBC were continually quoting the price higher than it was. Mind you, you can get United fans on this and other forums mentioning figures higher than players signed actually cost, and for players sold mentioning figures lower than the players were sold for, in order to fit in with their own agenda.
I thought we did pay more than his release clause so that there was no fight with other clubs as he supposedly had a lot of parties interested in him and instead of leaving it to chance that someone else might activate the clause we just put the hammer down and over paid so no one would compete.
I’m sure there were tweets and stuff on it in the transfer tweets section, explaining this, if we want to beleive them then that is something else.

thoward

It's not a lisp!
I thought we did pay more than his release clause so that there was no fight with other clubs as he supposedly had a lot of parties interested in him and instead of leaving it to chance that someone else might activate the clause we just put the hammer down and over paid so no one would compete.
I’m sure there were tweets and stuff on it in the transfer tweets section, explaining this, if we want to beleive them then that is something else.
I wasn't referring to the Dalot transfer, but in general terms. But I do remember the Depay transfer to United, where the BBC were constantly quoting £31 million, when the Dutch media intimated between £21-25 million.

As an example of United fans exaggerating things, I saw a thread on here claiming United lost over £15 million on Depay when he was sold, which is absolute nonsense, while I've seen other stuff on other United forums as well.

MUFC OK

Suggesting there is no agenda against United is I think incredibly naïve. I’ve said it a thousand times before but a United in crisis sells papers like nothing else known in sports journalism. Take this season for example, why is there such negativity about United in the media; finished 2nd last year and a marked improvement on any of the preceding post-Fergie years. A ball hadn’t even been kicked and all the headlines were about Jose moaning, players ‘rejecting United’ who hadn’t even been targeted, Pogba and Martial leaving (both are still here). I’ll call it what I think it is – an agenda, just my opinion.

It would be just as easy to spin what is happening at United and what has happened into something positive but who actually wants to read that? No non-united supporting fan does. I think the general dislike for Jose in the same respect has created a perfect storm. I think most fans are okay with it by now, but I think to suggest that the papers would be all over it if United were to say, win the league is inaccurate, the focus would be on some controversy or how we had gotten the rub of the green from the referees etc as it used to be when we were winning under SAF.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Don't you all know that City's owners have given the papers shit loads of money to undermine us and help them grow? It's the irony of the 'Rags' being destroyed by the 'Rags'.
white text

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Suggesting there is no agenda against United is I think incredibly naïve. I’ve said it a thousand times before but a United in crisis sells papers like nothing else known in sports journalism. Take this season for example, why is there such negativity about United in the media; finished 2nd last year and a marked improvement on any of the preceding post-Fergie years. A ball hadn’t even been kicked and all the headlines were about Jose moaning, players ‘rejecting United’ who hadn’t even been targeted, Pogba and Martial leaving (both are still here). I’ll call it what I think it is – an agenda, just my opinion.

It would be just as easy to spin what is happening at United and what has happened into something positive but who actually wants to read that? No non-united supporting fan does. I think the general dislike for Jose in the same respect has created a perfect storm. I think most fans are okay with it by now, but I think to suggest that the papers would be all over it if United were to say, win the league is inaccurate, the focus would be on some controversy or how we had gotten the rub of the green from the referees etc as it used to be when we were winning under SAF.
No i think you're right. If we go on to play some decent football and win, say the double, then a lot of papers would sing our praises because that would get the most clicks. At the same time, there would still be those writing articles with a negative focus, and that is where those with an actual bias and agenda reveal themselves.

SecondFig

If we were winning every week while playing fantastic, attacking football then we would be praised, too. The problem is, we're not doing that.

We don't win Premier League titles. We don't reach Champions League finals. We don't play attractive football either. We spend an awful lot of money. We've got managers and players creating stories for them through sheer idiocy (right infront of the bloody cameras!). Truly, what do you expect?

There is no agenda - albeit there is a huge interest in everything United which can create a real volume of stories surrounding certain issues. As a club, we've just made it too easy to be criticised. I really do think this thread in particular (like all of the ABU-related material) is a real blight on the football boards. It's the sort of stuff you'd laugh at other prominent football forums for.

100% this - there's no bloody conspiracy, Sheikh Mansour hasn't "bought the media" - that's the kind of sad paranoia we mock on RAWK.

It's just that we're a massive club, who spend a lot of money, and produce shite football that doen't bring success. It also doesn't help that our manager spends most of his time complaining and attacking the media (along with opposition managers, players and his own players).

If we were playing like Liverpool and finishing 2nd, we'd get a lot more praise. If we were spending as little as Spurs and finishing 2nd or winning the EL we'd be getting praise.

But we're not

ErranMorad

In our barren years we are developing the same victim complex that we used to laugh at the scousers or City fans for. It's bewildering to see how we are slowly but surely turning into a version of every oppo fan we mocked only a few years ago.

TheeAma

Supports
Chelsea
you lot think you got it bad. try seeing the crap Chelsea get

Marcky411

Mourinho and United must be a great combination for the media. They hate both so much and now they can attack both together each game.
Very true, but Jose makes it so easy seeing his behavior in the press/media.

Marcky411

We take great delight in telling everyone who will listen that we are the biggest club in the world .so obviously we tend to get the most media attention.
Like most things in life good news is no news therefore the media focus in on the bad things in life to generate news headlines whether it is morbidly recounting every single detail of a gruesome murder regardless of how devastating it is for family and friends of the victim .these stories fill the front pages , celebrity infidelities fill the middle pages and United more often than not provide the fodder for the back pages .
A “ good “ positive story about United will fall away quickly but a negative story tend to hang around like a bad smell particularly in slow news days/ weeks .
It has always been the same everyone likes to see the mighty fall even when Fergie was winning everything the press still hunted around desperately for some bad news to report .

Unfortunately now we also have a manager in place who every time he opens his mouth feeds the press negativity and bitterness , how the press must love him , do the press have an agenda against United ? If it is an opportunity to sell papers then yes , but Mourinho is just as much to blame .
United have always been top of the most loved teams but also top of the most hated such is life when you are successful, but in my view the number of haters is beginning to overtake the number of lover and for this Jose is more to blame than the press
Great post, so true.

Speedicut75

There is no agenda, of the conscious variety, bar, perhaps, in recent years, Patrick Barclay's obvious vendetta against SAF, and thus by extension the club; but the media, in general, will simply follow the rules of the market place and concentrate their focus where most capital can be made. Man UTD attract the most attention, therefore, Man UTD will naturally have the most stories written about them, and as mentioned above if the manager is radiating a type of infant-like, petulance, then what follows will be a host of articles that conform to the same standard.

Even when UTD were "on top" under the management of Sir Alex, you woukld still get a fair number of negative pieces, but that was largely because you had a fair number of oppo, and indeed, UTD fans, who would be drawn to such articles, but there would also be a solid number of "UTD journos" who would write very sympathetically about us and reflect what was being generated, mood or otherwise, through the agency of the manager. What's happening now is what some said would happen in season three: Jose does indeed appear to be hovering around the nuclear option in some grandiose game of brinkmanship, where negative stories generated in the media are just another tactic to bring his agenda to the fore. Not pleasant or productive for the fans, but I don't think that bothers him much when the thick red mist starts to descend.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
This reminds me of the Eva Carneiro story breaking. I thought it was a load of nonsense that would blow over. It did blow over in the end but it probably took Jose with it.

I'd be interested to know if any Utd fans actually believe this story. If it is true there will be funny smell in the dressing room. If it isn't Jose and Pogba should sue.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Most amusing me thing for me is go on the Chelsea forum and they're all convinced the media has a witch hunt against them and they're up the Manchester clubs and Liverpool's backsides. Spurs are getting plenty of flack over their stadium, RAWK etc.

Big clubs will always get OTT praise and stick from press.

jmaggio

It seems for me , United seem to be the team that you can write an containing 100% speculation and 0% insight and get away with it on the regular.

I think the reason is that united are so unilaterally despised by a range of opposition fans that negative clickbait articles get lapped up and these readers obviously aren’t going to care about the integrity of the content.

When it comes to sky, Gary has to be overly objective with united, to the point where he probably makes more negative comments than positive ones. I’m pretty sure sky get swathes or complaints from scousers every time he makes a nice comment about us :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Another nonsense piece of journalism quashed by the club, glad to see them do this before it could get legs and feed further stories.

A more reliable source, below:

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...rubbish-paul-pogba-jose-mourinho-rift-reports
I don't trust Custis but the club is the least reliable source when it comes to these things, they are never going to confirm it and with the current mood around the club they will try to control the narrative of a story that the public can't prove or disprove.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
I think its safe to say the relationship is extremely rocky and fairly safe to say Pogba would leave united if given the chance.

That being said I wouldn't believe anything the Sun right, absolute scum off the earth 99% chance those comments are fake, unless they've stole the story from a more reputable source

el3mel

I don't trust Custis but the club is the least reliable source when it comes to these things, they are never going to confirm it and with the current mood around the club they will try to control the narrative of a story that the public can't prove or disprove.
United usually don't move to respond to claims or rumors in the media. I don't remember them moving at all to deny anything during LVG era when the rumors about him getting sacked or replaced were on fire. The fact they called the journalist himself to tell him the reports are rubbish prove that they're getting annoyed by all this talking.

We'll see in Mourinho's next press conf anyway. It's not far away.

bludsucker

United usually don't move to respond to claims or rumors in the media. I don't remember them moving at all to deny anything during LVG era when the rumors about him getting sacked or replaced were on fire. The fact they called the journalist himself to tell him the reports are rubbish prove that they're getting annoyed by all this talking.

100% this. I think the club should follow through and ban fat man custis to just drive home the point. In fact wouldn’t mind if we banned the sun too.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Ive heard same complaints from an Everton fan. BBC saying £50m for Richarlison when it's £40m apparently

JPRouve

Scout

Of course they are getting annoyed by all the talking because they don't control it. I'm not telling you that the rumor is true, I'm telling you that the club being annoyed doesn't make it wrong. From a PR standpoint, the club will want two things at all time, control the narrative and control the sources, here the club knows that if that conversation was true the sources would be limited and identifiable, by denying it they put Custis and his potential source in a limbo, they either take the risk to reveal themselves by providing more details in a future piece or Custis says nothing.
It's typically the type of situation where an institution can put pressure on someone with zero consequences for the institution because unless Custis has a video or audio recording, he will have to rely on people trusting his word and his "source".

el3mel

Of course they are getting annoyed by all the talking because they don't control it. I'm not telling you that the rumor is true, I'm telling you that the club being annoyed doesn't make it wrong. From a PR standpoint, the club will want two things at all time, control the narrative and control the sources, here the club knows that if that conversation was true the sources would be limited and identifiable, by denying it they put Custis and his potential source in a limbo, they either take the risk to reveal themselves by providing more details in a future piece or Custis says nothing.
It's typically the type of situation where an institution can put pressure on someone with zero consequences for the institution because unless Custis has a video or audio recording, he will have to rely on people trusting his word and his "source".
Your point would have made sense if the club made similar moves on other rumors the past years, something that didn't happen. United don't move often to deny anything, and they usually let the media go on with their nonsense, so I'm willing to believe them when they actually do move.

Infra-red

This.

JPRouve

Scout
Your point would have made sense if the club made similar moves on other rumors the past years, something that didn't happen. United don't move often to deny anything, and they usually let the media go on with their nonsense, so I'm willing to believe them when they actually do move.
They did it several times in the near past, with Guardiola and Mourinho's talks and Griezmann, they generally do it when there is absolutely no way to tell who is lying and when it can potentially put the club in a bad light.

el3mel

They did it several times in the near past, with Guardiola and Mourinho's talks and Griezmann, they generally do it when there is absolutely no way to tell who is lying and when it can potentially put the club in a bad light.
They didn't deny any Griezmann rumors. They briefed the media that the deal has collapsed when it actually collapsed. Same for Mourinho and LVG state, the rumors were on fire about sacking LVG but they didn't move to deny it by a public announcement. They were telling LVG it's fine but no one briefed the media that LVG is staying, because he wasn't going to.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
There's articles doing the rounds at the minute about Gary Neville trashing Mourinho saying that it's been "awful to watch" United under him. It's on the front page of r/soccer with everyone lumping on.

The quotes were taken from a Podcast where Neville wasn't talking about playing style but the decline of the club "over the last 5 or 6" years and actually defended Mourinho, calling on the club and fans to back him.

Anyone thinking there's no bias out there is delusional.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
That's it - the club seriously needs to take action. Paul Ince thinks it's getting out of hand. Paul Bloody Ince. The model of professionalism and modesty in his playing days here Paul Ince thinks Pogba is 'playing stupid games'. Ship Pogs off to Barca, we're getting relegated if we don't.

Absolute load of shite. How many ex-players do you think The Mirror had to contact and ask "would you mind reiterating last week's tabloid headlines so we can keep this non-story going"?

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Complete nonsense. It is not safe to say anything of the sort.
I would agree if it was only rubbish sources reporting.

The fact probably 95% of reporters and different media companies have all reported the same thing bar potentially one or two makes me think there's no smoke without fire.

This on top of Pogba's comments about him being fined, think you would either be stupid or in denial if you thought there was nothing going on there

GM K

I think the club itself needs to improve its communications strategy. I like Bayern Munich. No bullshitting at all. They hear the rumour, they kill it with a press release. Madrid has started doing that more recently. II see no reason why United can't do the same. Come out officially and clear things up. That will embarrass some of those fake news journalists and reassure fans.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I think the club itself needs to improve its communications strategy. I like Bayern Munich. No bullshitting at all. They hear the rumour, they kill it with a press release. Madrid has started doing that more recently. II see no reason why United can't do the same. Come out officially and clear things up. That will embarrass some of those fake news journalists and reassure fans.
I wish we did something like this.
No sooner do you hear a rumour about Bayern and the club come out and deny it.

The only problem is, when we are going for a player, seemingly you also have to confirm its true also. I believe Bayern do this too, but they usually target German talent, and they have a monopoly on German players which no other team can compete with.

For us that would present a problem.