'The Streets won't forget' thread

FujiVice

The Streets wont forget that Phil Jones was a better version of Bobby Carlos for a full fortnight in the summer of 2011.

AFC NimbleThumb

I’ve always overrated the guy & will never stop. Utter waste of talent but I refuse to leave Quaresma Island.

I’ve always found it telling the respect & reverence Cristiano has for him aswell; he’s always carried himself in a different way around The Gypsy.

The streets indeed shall never forget.

Also, Robert Prosinecki. He was Zidane before Zidane. Disappointing in the sense that although he played for some big clubs, he should be remembered as one of the greatest to play with game, with that talent.

Can’t remember what football management incarnation I played but somehow Prosinecki found his way into my team & considering I’ve never watched the man play I owe him a great deal of gratitude for what he did on my management CV - he’s captained me to European glory.

Dante

Average bang

'The streets won't forget' is definitely too light-hearted a phrase to justify posting this but I've been looking for an excuse to post it for a while so I'll just put it here.

Quite a moving and tragic story.
Thanks for that. Really moving.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Quaresma is immortal. I wager that he’ll be remembered by football fans a lot more than a lot of other players that have achieved more than him. Insanely good to watch.
He's idolized here in Porto like few players are anywhere. Especially so after the Euros win and how important he was to the national team during that period, stepped up when there was a big lack of talent.

He's become a free agent this summer and there have been some rumours of a return to Portugal

Last edited:

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Also, Robert Prosinecki. He was Zidane before Zidane. Disappointing in the sense that although he played for some big clubs, he should be remembered as one of the greatest to play with game, with that talent.

There was interview several years ago with him by, now deceased reporter Tomislav Zidak, which starts with interviewer writing how he remembers Prosinecki when he was only 17y old doing his first talk with him, and back then first thing he did was put 2 packs of Red Marlboro on the table.

That never changed, Robi was avid smoker who still smokes 2 packs a day even now, and Crouch once said how he remembers Prosinecki smoking before matches, at HT, and immediately after. Something like that destroyes regular guy, let alone elite athlete.

When he came to Dinamo back in 1997. he could barely run anymore , was walking around the pitch, yet was head and shoulders above anyone else in that team, and he single handedly took Dinamo in CL against Celtic and year later MTK.

Unbeliavable talent, but prone to self destruction.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
There was interview several years ago with him by, now deceased reporter Tomislav Zidak, which starts with interviewer writing how he remembers Prosinecki when he was only 17y old doing his first talk with him, and back then first thing he did was put 2 packs of Red Marlboro on the table.

That never changed, Robi was avid smoker who still smokes 2 packs a day even now, and Crouch once said how he remembers Prosinecki smoking before matches, at HT, and immediately after. Something like that destroyes regular guy, let alone elite athlete.

When he came to Dinamo back in 1997. he could barely run anymore , was walking around the pitch, yet was head and shoulders above anyone else in that team, and he single handedly took Dinamo in CL against Celtic and year later MTK.

Unbeliavable talent, but prone to self destruction.
I hope that @Šjor Bepo will provide the video of him celebeating Crena Zvezda’s CL win, but I’ll also post something (I have no idea what this is)

Pagh Wraith

On Quaresma: I was in a holiday house in Romania with a few friends during the last World Cup and Portugal v Iran was on in the background while we were sat in the kitchen at the bar. The other people aren't particular into football so I just told them to watch Quaresma as he's the king of the 'outside-of-the-boot'. And then the crazy fecker scores that goal.

:drool:

Have you ever seen Ronaldo celebrate a teammate's goal like that?

Gopher Brown

I’m about to walk to Co-op using the streets. Does this mean someone’s going to randomly come up to me to remind me about Ravanelli’s hat trick against Liverpool?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Grant Holt for Norwich in 2010/11, the year they got automatic promotion from the Championship. For a journeyman player with a non-league background, he very nearly got called up for England.

He wasn't in shape but he was a natural goalscorer.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
The posts in this thread are not street worthy. The streets won't forget half these posts because they were not remembered in the first place

Chipper

Adulterer.
Mickey Evans. The streets won't remember him but I do as the perhaps the most obscure player to ever win player of the month in the Premier League. He shone for exactly one month. Signed by Southampton from Plymouth in March 97, he scored 4 goals in April which went a big way to helping them stay up and they were the only top flight goals he ever scored. Ended up back at Plymouth via West Brom and Bristol Rovers.

Robin Friday? Can't say I ever saw him, and I think "The best player you never saw" is the sub-title of a book about him. Supposed to be really skilled playing for Reading in the 70s but an absolute nutter.

El-Shaarawy 12/13? Mentioned him another thread lately. Looked like he might be the next big thing that season but because of injuries he only played 6 then 18 league games the following two years. Never reached the same heights again although he was decent for Roma once he moved there.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Muddy fields of 00s russian league won't forget.

He was absolutely unbelievable on his day. Remember watching our national team under Hiddink and we were clearly the second best team in Euro 2008. Pity we had to play them twice.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
Quite a few English strikers have had these kind of seasons in the Premier League in their debut seasons: Kevin Phillips, Marcus Stewart, Michael Ricketts, David Nugent etc.

All bar Stewart (I think) got capped by England but all fell away to relative obscurity thereafter. Phillips might’ve been the only one to not be a six-month wonder, never mind a one-season wonder.
"The streets won't forget" aren't necessarily just one season wonders though.

I think best explanation I could give is to think of it as street ballers. They are never destined to succeed in the professional football world despite having better technical skills than most of their peers. Football may have forgotten them, but the streets won't forget. All those names you listed, the streets don't even know of :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Alexander Buttner. His peak lasted for one half of football, his debut at United. Shite before, shite after and a massive tit to boot.