The Summer 2019 Rebuild

Alemar

We should go aggressively on a senior RW player who can replace Sanchez as an experienced player and also not come in the way of our other talented players.
That's the question. We haven't seen enough of Gomes and Chong yet, we haven't seen Greenwood at all - will they prove their worth? Only time will tell

ghagua

Been really, really impressed with Ruben Dias from Benfica every time that I have seen him play. May be the defender we need to be our rock for the next few years.

Any of our Portuguese fans care to chime in?

Get a midfielder who can actually make a tackle and break up play.

Get a right winger who is fast and skillful.

Flog off Rojo, Bailly, Valencia and Darmian to whoever wants them.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I think we need to spend fairly substantially this summer, possibly four coming in. Personally I think we need a CB, DM, AM, RW, and if possible RB, and STR. This would cost a bomb, if we got the right players in, but could save us money in the following windows, CB could be De Ligt (19), who looks a fantastic player now, so what he could develop into is anybody's guess, at least £80 million I would say, DM could be Declan Rice (20) from West Ham, again looks a terrific prospect, possibly £40 million (including add ons, 50 apps, full caps etc), Bruno Fernandes (24), could we get him for £30 million? Looks a very good AM, could also play CM. Jadon Sancho (18) has been mentioned quite a lot, and could be the answer to our right side attack, but would be around the £100 million mark, would Joao Felix (19) be a better bet at around £50 million (with add ons), he could start as a right sided player, then move more centrally as he got older and more experienced? Aaron Wan Bissaka (21) at £30 million would be a great fit for me, that would secure our FB positions for 7 or 8 years, with Laird, Williams and Mitchell in the academy ready to step up. Striker is a bit up in the air I think. We have Greenwood coming through, but realistically would he play every week? he is still developing, so to play him too much now, could have a detrimental effect in the long term. If Ole can get Lukaku to develop his movement, first touch and ball holding skills between now and the end of the season then we could hold onto him. He certainly looks a little leaner at the moment, and is a proven goal scorer in the EPL, so I'm quite happy to see if he does improve going forward. Conversely, if a club came in for him at the price we paid for him, then he could be on his way, and we would need to strengthen that position, Josh King (27) has been mentioned before, and we could get him for around £13 million, or Marko Arnoutovic, (30) who is EPL proven, will score goals and also set up goals, he could be around £40 million (not everyone's cup of tea I know, but could be an asset in my opinion). Timo Werner (23 today) looks like he wants out at Leipzig, he could play anywhere across the front three, and would cost around £55 million.

Momochiru

I think Ed pulled the plug last summer, because they didn't agree with Mourinho's approach to spend crazy money for players at the end of their career. However I think he would spend on the right profile of players - young, already top class, but with potential to improve even more and be among the world's best in the next 5-10 years. Having said that I don't think he will break the bank on more than 2, max 3 players. I agree with that - quality over quantity. Signing these players should go hand in hand with selling/releasing a corresponding player from the squad. Having said that, I think this would be a realistic summer for us:

GK - renew DDG for another 5 years
CB - sign De Ligt / sell Rojo
LB - nothing
RB - either bring back TFM/Tuanzebe or renew Valencia for a year and let Dalot develop
DM - either nothing or sign Rice
CM/AM - renew Pereira and Herrera for 3-4 years
LW - sell Sanchez
CF - nothing
RW - sign Sancho for 5 years with half of the money in performance based ad-ons; and either sell or renew Mata for 1 year

IN:
De Ligt, Sancho; maybe Rice
OUT:
Rojo, Sanches; maybe Mata and Valencia

This way we get rid of some under performers and replace them with players that we could build the team around for the next 5-10 years. Also this would leave a lot of opportunity for our youngsters to get experience.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
That's the question. We haven't seen enough of Gomes and Chong yet, we haven't seen Greenwood at all - will they prove their worth? Only time will tell
And i don't think that we will see it soon. They all play in attacking positions. Martial, Lingard, Rashford and Lukaku are first options. Alexis or some other new rw also.
So you have 5 players for 3 positions. 5 players in their best football age.
So when and how those 3 will play? Yes, they will play in cup but that is it

deadrevelz

GK - renew DDG for another 5 years
CB - sign De Ligt / sell Rojo
LB - nothing
RB - either bring back TFM/Tuanzebe or renew Valencia for a year and let Dalot develop
DM - either nothing or sign Rice
CM/AM - renew Pereira and Herrera for 3-4 years
LW - sell Sanchez
CF - nothing
RW - sign Sancho for 5 years with half of the money in performance based ad-ons; and either sell or renew Mata for 1 year

IN:
De Ligt, Sancho; maybe Rice
OUT:
Rojo, Sanches; maybe Mata and Valencia

This way we get rid of some under performers and replace them with players that we could build the team around for the next 5-10 years. Also this would leave a lot of opportunity for our youngsters to get experience.
Valencia is leaving the club this summer, it's basically been confirmed.
TFM is extremely unlikely to make it here, either reserves or loan / sell this summer.
Still big question marks over Pereira and Mata regarding contracts.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Lukaku sold if we can get 45MIL+

Stepney73

We don't need a rebuild we just need to go up one level.

4 players in to improve our well known weaknesses.

5 or 6 of the deadwood to be shipped out

Momochiru

Valencia is leaving the club this summer, it's basically been confirmed.
TFM is extremely unlikely to make it here, either reserves or loan / sell this summer.
Still big question marks over Pereira and Mata regarding contracts.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Lukaku sold if we can get 45MIL+
If we don't buy a RB in the summer we will need more depth there. If Valencia gets himself fit, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets an extra year to be a backup to Dalot. Alternatively TMF could be that backup. While Young is a backup for both RB and LB.
Pereira has barely played - he deserves more chances to show what he can do if played in the right position. Mata's experience would be needed if we get Sancho - you can't rely only on young players. For both Pereira and Mata it's a matter of negotiation between their agents and the club.
Lukaku for 45M is never going to happen.

Dolf

We’re not spending 200m+ unless we sell all of Rojo, Jones, Darmian, Mata and Sanchez.

Most likely it will be two 40-60 mill euro signing or one big signing and that’s it.

deadrevelz

If we don't buy a RB in the summer we will need more depth there. If Valencia gets himself fit, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets an extra year to be a backup to Dalot. Alternatively TMF could be that backup. While Young is a backup for both RB and LB.
Pereira has barely played - he deserves more chances to show what he can do if played in the right position. Mata's experience would be needed if we get Sancho - you can't rely only on young players. For both Pereira and Mata it's a matter of negotiation between their agents and the club.
Lukaku for 45M is never going to happen.
Valencia is leaving mate. Young can back up both FBs. Smalling can play RB. We have Tuanzebe and Ethan Laird.
Mata is terrible on the right, he has no use there even as a back up. Dalot, Lukaku are better on RW. Even Rashford or Martial. He may stay but it would be a more central position. Finding through balls when the opponent is sitting deep. He has no other use now really.
Why won't Lukaku at £45MIL happen? You think he shouldn't leave, or that the price is too high / low? If we could sell him and get Timo Werner that would be amazing business and the expected fees for each player are very close.

Momochiru

Valencia is leaving mate. Young can back up both FBs. Smalling can play RB. We have Tuanzebe and Ethan Laird.
Mata is terrible on the right, he has no use there even as a back up. Dalot, Lukaku are better on RW. Even Rashford or Martial. He may stay but it would be a more central position. Finding through balls when the opponent is sitting deep. He has no other use now really.
Why won't Lukaku at £45MIL happen? You think he shouldn't leave, or that the price is too high / low? If we could sell him and get Timo Werner that would be amazing business and the expected fees for each player are very close.
In this market Lukaku is worth at least 70M. He is a proven 20+ goals PL striker, still young and rarely gets
injured. I would be surprised if he goes for anything less than that.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think we need to spend fairly substantially this summer, possibly four coming in. Personally I think we need a CB, DM, AM, RW, and if possible RB, and STR. This would cost a bomb, if we got the right players in, but could save us money in the following windows, CB could be De Ligt (19), who looks a fantastic player now, so what he could develop into is anybody's guess, at least £80 million I would say, DM could be Declan Rice (20) from West Ham, again looks a terrific prospect, possibly £40 million (including add ons, 50 apps, full caps etc), Bruno Fernandes (24), could we get him for £30 million? Looks a very good AM, could also play CM. Jadon Sancho (18) has been mentioned quite a lot, and could be the answer to our right side attack, but would be around the £100 million mark, would Joao Felix (19) be a better bet at around £50 million (with add ons), he could start as a right sided player, then move more centrally as he got older and more experienced? Aaron Wan Bissaka (21) at £30 million would be a great fit for me, that would secure our FB positions for 7 or 8 years, with Laird, Williams and Mitchell in the academy ready to step up. Striker is a bit up in the air I think. We have Greenwood coming through, but realistically would he play every week? he is still developing, so to play him too much now, could have a detrimental effect in the long term. If Ole can get Lukaku to develop his movement, first touch and ball holding skills between now and the end of the season then we could hold onto him. He certainly looks a little leaner at the moment, and is a proven goal scorer in the EPL, so I'm quite happy to see if he does improve going forward. Conversely, if a club came in for him at the price we paid for him, then he could be on his way, and we would need to strengthen that position, Josh King (27) has been mentioned before, and we could get him for around £13 million, or Marko Arnoutovic, (30) who is EPL proven, will score goals and also set up goals, he could be around £40 million (not everyone's cup of tea I know, but could be an asset in my opinion). Timo Werner (23 today) looks like he wants out at Leipzig, he could play anywhere across the front three, and would cost around £55 million.
This is just football manager stuff. Three players, four max is what we need.

Ekeke

Been really, really impressed with Ruben Dias from Benfica every time that I have seen him play. May be the defender we need to be our rock for the next few years.

Any of our Portuguese fans care to chime in?

Get a midfielder who can actually make a tackle and break up play.

Get a right winger who is fast and skillful.

Flog off Rojo, Bailly, Valencia and Darmian to whoever wants them.
do you own football manager?

Valencia Shin Crosses

If we want to compete at the top next year, we need 4 players minimum. RW and CB are non-negotiable as well. Ideally we bring in 6 and ship off deadwood, but that won't happen with all of the new contracts we are signing players to.

People really don't realize how little quality depth we have currently, especially in attack and at the fullback positions.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
You cannot have two quality players for every position because those quality players will want to play every game and when they are not getting game time they get frustrated.

Pep was basically saying he has to make difficult decisions as to who plays and who does not. Sancho left because he was not guaranteed game time.

So some posters want us to have two excellent players for each position. That is not sustainable.

When we won the champions league last, we had players like Park and Owen Hargreeves who were happy to sit on the bench and then do a good job when required.

Trophy Room

You cannot have two quality players for every position because those quality players will want to play every game and when they are not getting game time they get frustrated.

Pep was basically saying he has to make difficult decisions as to who plays and who does not. Sancho left because he was not guaranteed game time.

So some posters want us to have two excellent players for each position. That is not sustainable.

When we won the champions league last, we had players like Park and Owen Hargreeves who were happy to sit on the bench and then do a good job when required.
I would agree. Its a myth.

Ekeke

No, never played that, but I do watch watch football a lot. Does that answer your question?
The first part did. In FM19 when I play as a different team United always buy that guy for like £50 million with the default database. Like 8 times out of 10.

From what I've seen so far he's nowhere near as good as Porto's Militao in real life

ErranMorad

De Gea/ Romero/ Grant
Dalot/Young Lindelof/Smalling Koulibaly/Jones Shaw/New LB
Matic/McTommy
Herrera/New Creative CM Pogba/Fred
Fekir/Lingard Rashford/Lukaku Martial/??

Pereira, Tuanzebe, Greenwood, Gomes, Garner, Chong
Ideally, I would like more, but would go with adding the positions in bold for this summer.

In:
CB - Koulibaly or a top young CB.
LB - Don't know who but we need one to give Shaw rest from time to time.
CM - A CM/CDM combo with good vision and passing range who can play in place of Matic or Herrera.
Another attacking option - Sancho would be good but I don't know if BVB would sell now. I like Fekir as he can play across the front line and also in Pogba's position.

If possible - Would love to ship out Sanchez and get another young player with potential. We should have six top attackers vying for the 3 positions.

Out:

Valencia
Bailly
Rojo - I hope the club doesn't keep him as a back up to Shaw and invests in a proper back-up/rotation player.
Mata
Sanchez
Fosu-Mensah
James Wilson

StrettyEnder07

The problem with the players we are likely to sell are the wages and their performances. Rojo is on £100k a week. According to reports we accepted Evertons offer for him, but he refused their proposal. Smalling is currently on £120k a week. Jones previous contract was £60k a week, do not know the size of his current deal.
Darmian is not on a big contract, but not impressed much.

Some factors that are effecting the fee we can achieve for our players:
  • Buyers market.
  • Wages they are on.
  • Other clubs have become better at scouting players. Having played for a big club is not enough anymore to be deemed good.
  • Clubs that previously bought "deadwood" from the big clubs in PL are no longer doing this. Most clubs have become more professional in their recruitement.
And we should not try to close the gap in one window or a season. We should see this as a 3-year project, and therefore we should spend sensible and low risk over 3 seasons. Many cheap players that would improve our squad and potentially our first 11 while having money to spend on higher risk/higher reward targets like Sancho and Di Ligt.

We should go for Di Ligt this summer, and Sancho the next. Get an experienced RB and a RW in the mould of Mata but not a liability in defense, and 1/2 CMs this season. If we can fetch a decent sum for Lukaku we should add a striker as well.
Sorry mate disagree with this completely, 3 years time if we don't spend any or much money we will be a mile behind, and when we do decide to spend half decent in a few years time going by your plan of attack, who is going to want to come to us? Look at Arsenal, they spent "sensibly" since moving into the new stadium, refusing to pay half decent money for a CB/DMC and going with average players in the hope that they turn into world beaters. We went from buying what we need, people who fit the profile of the club (Yorke, Cole, RVP, Wazza, Ruud, Evra, Rio, Vidic etc.) to just lumping mental sums at big name players, which has blown up in our face.

The way the world is going now,
The problem with the players we are likely to sell are the wages and their performances. Rojo is on £100k a week. According to reports we accepted Evertons offer for him, but he refused their proposal. Smalling is currently on £120k a week. Jones previous contract was £60k a week, do not know the size of his current deal.
Darmian is not on a big contract, but not impressed much.

Some factors that are effecting the fee we can achieve for our players:
  • Buyers market.
  • Wages they are on.
  • Other clubs have become better at scouting players. Having played for a big club is not enough anymore to be deemed good.
  • Clubs that previously bought "deadwood" from the big clubs in PL are no longer doing this. Most clubs have become more professional in their recruitement.
And we should not try to close the gap in one window or a season. We should see this as a 3-year project, and therefore we should spend sensible and low risk over 3 seasons. Many cheap players that would improve our squad and potentially our first 11 while having money to spend on higher risk/higher reward targets like Sancho and Di Ligt.

We should go for Di Ligt this summer, and Sancho the next. Get an experienced RB and a RW in the mould of Mata but not a liability in defense, and 1/2 CMs this season. If we can fetch a decent sum for Lukaku we should add a striker as well.
Agree to disagree because right now mate I would just promote the kids and give Ole the key to the City haha absolutely god dam mother fecking buzzing! Had about an hours sleep haha

Woodzy

RW, RB, CM, CB (probably in that order). Think that will be enough to challenge tbh.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Dalot looks more and more assured and confident with each appearance.

Makes signing a RB quite tricky i.t.o what we need to look for.

Other than that, CB, DM and RW needs looking at.

cyril C

In this market Lukaku is worth at least 70M. He is a proven 20+ goals PL striker, still young and rarely gets
injured. I would be surprised if he goes for anything less than that.
Can't believe anyone still saying we should sell Lukaku. As you say he is a proven 20+ goal PL striker, so why do you want to get rid of him?

cyril C

Dalot looks more and more assured and confident with each appearance.

Makes signing a RB quite tricky i.t.o what we need to look for.

Other than that, CB, DM and RW needs looking at.
Pretty much agree. If we offload Valencia, Darmian, Rojo, and possibly Mata, there is space for 1 more player.

JohnnyKills

Sell or release: Valencia, Mata, Rojo, Bailly, Darmian, Jones, McTominay, Sánchez

Keep (aside from the obvious): Young, Smalling, Fred, Pereira, Lukaku

Buy: 2 new CBs, RB, CM, RW.

McTominay would be very harsh but not sure we can keep him, Pereira and Fred.

rpg

I would keep Lukaku as of now. There's plenty of games next season for either Rashford or Lukaku to be the main man. Unless we can get a world beater like young Zlatan.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
CB looks a bit less important but difficult to say after just seeing such a performance from Smalling. If there's a chance of someone world class and consistent then we can't really turn away from it.
RB looks less important with Dalot, but again, tough to say. Need to at least see more of him now until the end of the season.
We could definitely do with some quality backup from someone who can potentially play LB as well though.

RW is the most important. And some more creativity in midfield.

ManRed

Not sure the club is ready to spend 200m in the summer.

In
De ligt
Pepe / Hudson Odoi (high risk but at 40m wont be bad)
Neves / Ndombele
Tuanzebe (return)
Fosu Mensah (return)

Out

Valencia
Bailly
Perreira
Mata

Rice - just signed a contract extension. Doubt he will leave in the summer
Sancho - expensive and still needs development. Pepe at 23 is still young.
Koulibaly - will be 28 in the summer and will cost more than De Ligt.

Sylar

This is gonna sound crazy, but Ed was correct in not completely backing Jose after the Sevilla debacle (followed with that effort vs Chelsea in the cup final).

But anyway, all of a sudden with a manager who actually has put confidence into the current squad, and plays to the current strength (and actually uses tactics), we dont need an overhaul. You look at our squad and its young but has some places it needs improvement (mostly for starting lineup)

For this summer I think we whould find a way to sell / move on:

-Darmian, Rojo, Valencia, Sanchez

Then buying a RB, RW and a CM(DM?) as a must.
I dont see us buying more than 3 players but we might not need to. Would be nice getting a 4th as a younger one to develop around the current players.
This should take us through to Summer 2020 where we could move on:

Mata, Matic, Young and possibly Jones (as he just signed up, reckon he wont go this year)

And then we need a CB, another CM, and then whatever we need based on how we do. Maybe a striker.

Andersons Dietician

If you think this is probably our best line up.

DDG
Young Smalling Lindelof Shaw
Matic
Herrera Pogba
Rashford Lukaku Martial​

Would you really replace say Rashford with Sancho or Lukaku to make room for him and then would Sancho then want to come to become an option because right now I don’t see him playing over Lukaku or Rashford.

Smalling has been brilliant, Lindelof and Shaw as well. Young has been well, Ashley Young and something should be done at RB.

Matic and Herrera over recent months have transformed but I guess there is a case of how long can they go at that level for and then what is happening with Fred, McT and Pereira?

It’ll be an intresting summer to see what actions are taken but myself I think I’d look to bring in.

Neves
Ndombele

If we can get rid of two of Bailly, Rojo or Jones(although at this point might as well keep him) then bring in 1 of DeLigt or Militao

I think Sancho looks very talented but is there really space for him currently and I’d guess the players I already listed is taking us close to 200 mil and another year in the Bundesliga will be good for Sancho. Plus Greenwood and Chong look promising.

Sell/let go: Mata, Valencia,Rojo, Bailly, Sanchez, Darmian, possibly Perreria.

DDG
Dalot Smalling Lindelof Shaw
Ndombele Neves
Pogba
Rashford Lukaku Martial​

Judas

Open to offers
For me Lukaku is still too patchy to be part of our best 11. He's on fire now, but he will go off the boil and go off badly, he always does. If he can fix that, it would be amazing.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think we need three or four. RW and CM are vital. Then a CB and then a RB. I think the right back can wait until next year and we will have to see how good Dalot is, granted he looks pretty good.

Bailly could be sold. Sanchez as well.

MPTutd

Love this type of thread:

Manager.......Er Ole!
Outs: Darmian, Rojo, Jones, Pereria, Sanchez, Mata, TFM, Valencia
Ins: Bale, De Ligt, Kroos
Promote to first team: Tuanzebe, Greenwood, Laird

next Seasons team

De Gea

Dalot
De Ligt
Lindelof
Shaw

Matic
Kroos
Pogba

Bale
Rashford
Martial

MPTutd

Why? Getting rid of Sanchez and then buying bale?.
Because Sanchez is not good enough. And I believe that Bale still has plenty to offer, is suited to the PL and I think with an Ole-sized arm around his shoulder he would be brilliant.