The Summer 2019 Rebuild

sam147

We lack depth in key areas and are congested with average players in other areas. Our fullbacks are crucial to our play, we need depth. One injury and a title challenge is out the window with a 34 year old Ashley Young.
Signings:
CB: Koulibaly (80 million, they will sell if he forces a move)
DM: Rodri (60million release clause, a DM is should be signed as Matic is ageing)
LB: Alex Telles (30-40m, experienced and offers a different threat compared to Shaw)
RB: Rafael (free signing, Glazernomics being taken into consideration. Signed for depth.)
RW: Pepe/Sancho (80-100m)

Outgoings: Darmian, Valencia, Rojo, Mata and Sanchez

Lineup: DDG; Dalot-Lindelof-Koulibaly-Telles; Herrera-Rodri-Pogba; Sancho; Lukaku-Rashford

Sancho playing in between the two strikers could be very dangerous, he can occupy both wings when in possession and cause havoc, leaving space for Pogba. A trio of Martial-Rashford-Sancho is inexperienced and might not have enough output currently to lead the team to a title. Therefore, Lukaku should play.

cyril C

Why? Getting rid of Sanchez and then buying bale?.
Because Sanchez is not good enough. And I believe that Bale still has plenty to offer, is suited to the PL and I think with an Ole-sized arm around his shoulder he would be brilliant.
Wrong answer I believe. Because Bale spent less time in hospital than Sanchez, so instead of 10m per goal it will become 5m per goal. While both wage are about the same. Great thinking!

Fosu-Mens

Wrong answer I believe. Because Bale spent less time in hospital than Sanchez, so instead of 10m per goal it will become 5m per goal. While both wage are about the same. Great thinking!
It's like choosing between two evils.
If we could straight up swap the two players without any additional cost, i would agree with you @MPTutd, that Bale would be the prefered player. But signing him would still be an extremely high risk deal.

Nori-

Sell/Release: Valencia, Jones, Rojo, Darmian, Sanchez, Mata, Lukaku

Bring in: RB, Centre-back, Right Winger, Central Midfielder, number 10, Striker

Realistically that wont happen as it would cost far too much, but ideally that's what I'd like to see

Sanche7

Sell/Release: Valencia, Jones, Rojo, Darmian, Sanchez, Mata, Lukaku

Bring in: RB, Centre-back, Right Winger, Central Midfielder, number 10, Striker

Realistically that wont happen as it would cost far too much, but ideally that's what I'd like to see
Whoa 6 new signings?
RB, CB, RW and a young midfielder would be very good IMO, especially if we get Sancho / Joao who can play anywhere across the front 3.
Dont think we need a striker tbh, Rash and Martial can play there, but if we are selling Lukaku (looks unlikely), then we might. Don't think we will buy a starting striker as Ole has talked a lot about how good a striker Rash is /can be.

Aarron Swift

Outgoings

9 Players -
Estimated £54.5m Transfer Fee
Estimed £26m Wages per Year

Released:
1. Antonio Valencia - £0. 100k pw
2. James Wilson - £0. 20k pw

Sold:
1. Marcus Rojo - £6.5m. 80k pw
2. Matteo Darmian - £6m. 60k pw
3. Timothy Fosu-Mensah - £5m. 15k pw
4. Axel Tuanzebe - £5m. 5k pw
5. Cameron Borthwick Jackson - £5m 10k pw
6. Juan Mata - £12m 140k pw
7. Eric Baily - £15m 75k pw

Some notes to these out goings:

1. Transfer fees all look very low, however United seem to have always sold players for crazy low amounts. We never really make anything from selling players

2. I have included Wilson as he’s out of contract in summer, on the wage bill & just shows the extent of the clean up job needed deep in our club.

3. Fosu-Mensah, Jackson & Tuanzebe included as although rated by quite a few it seems like they’ve been out on Loan for so many years that the squad has moved on & none of those 3 seem like they will become part of it. Generating anything over £15m in transfer fees, removing just I’ve £1m a year from wage bill (Seeing how Utd operate with outgoings, I wouldn’t be surprised if we pay loaned out players wages in full).

4. I personally would have put Phil Jones in there for £12-20m, however he’s just signed a new deal so seems like he’ll be around for a while. If we bring in another CB, we’d have 5, I feel 4 is right. So Bailly who hasn’t really settled despite promising performances here & there may leave

5. I would also have 100% put Sanchez in there, I’d love him to leave the club. Poor performances on the pitch, massive drain in wages as well as increasing wage demands of the players who actually deserve to be our highest paid (i.e De Gea). I just fear that with the wages Sanchez is on, we’ll be stuck with him for another season.

Loaned Out

These Players I feel need consistent experience, shouldn’t be sold

1. Angel Gomes
2. Tatith Chong
3. Mason Greenwood
4. James Garner

All to Championship Sides if possible, far more beneficial than U23’s. Would be limited on First Team Appearances, unless very easy Cup games or huge injury crisis.

5. Scott Mctominay

Prem or Scottish Club like Rangers. Any defensive minded CM signing would push him out of contention to play. Maybe a season too early to sell, see how he plays when playing for a club week in week out

Incomings

My knowledge of Full Backs isn’t great, I’d like the idea of Dalot & Shaw as 1st choice. We have Young as experienced back up. With Valencia leaving I feel we can go anyway with this: RB or LB, promote youth player or bring in an experienced player as back-up. That would be 4 Full Backs. Dalot & Young can play either side, in an injury crisis we have Phil Jones as a 5th option.

CB - Koulibaly- £80m. Looks a beast. Partnered with Lindelof. Smallings grabbing & VAR would see us relegated with number of penalties conceded. Would see us with Koulibaly, Lindelof, Smalling & Jones.

CM - Find a more mobile Matic but younger. Give Fred another season. - Pogba, Herrera, NEW CM, Matic, Fred, Pierrera

RM - Jadon Sancho - £100m would love him though.

Despite me not really knowing Targets, I feel that removes & cleans up the squad well. In ideal world Sanchez & Jones would leave too. 4 New Players enter the squad without disrupting too much

Nikelesh Reddy

We need a top class ball playing Centre back....An experienced RB and a deep lying defensive midfielder....If we make 3-4 good signings,I think we”ll compete for the title next season..l

LingiBW

I want to see Lingard get a good run of games on the right...Lingard can be a key player for us if he keeps playing week in,week out...
Lingard has his uses but we need a proper RW. One that isn't afraid to take players on and give us measurable output.

The space on the right wing is forever there for the taking and i feel next season we need to start properly exploiting it.

In short, a balanced team.

sam147

Neville should know better than anyone the quality needed to win a title. Ole seems to be too nice when mentioning we need 1 or 2 signings. Neville is spot on. However, one CB would be enough. Imo, we need a LB, CB, RB, DM, RW. A lot of people seem to be underestimating how much of a rebuild we need. It is not a case of 3 signings. Look at Citys team, that is what we are competing with.

laughtersassassin

I want to see Lingard get a good run of games on the right...Lingard can be a key player for us if he keeps playing week in,week out...
Lingards had a free run at RW for years. He is good and all but you need an actual winger sometimes. How do our fans not see this. Always an excuse not to spend with some. PeP is talking about getting 3 or 4 this summer. You think we can catch up without improving our major weaknesses. ONe of which is RW

Canagel

Neville should know better than anyone the quality needed to win a title. Ole seems to be too nice when mentioning we need 1 or 2 signings. Neville is spot on. However, one CB would be enough. Imo, we need a LB, CB, RB, DM, RW. A lot of people seem to be underestimating how much of a rebuild we need. It is not a case of 3 signings. Look at Citys team, that is what we are competing with.
Gary is chatting rubbish. We've conceded the least goals of anyone since OGS has come in. How do we need two centre backs? :houllier:

laughtersassassin

Neville is right in saying we have to spend about 250 million pounds this summer. However, he has the players we need wrong. One CB wil do. A RW over a striker is way more needed. Then the other positions are a toss up depending on what happens etc.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Gary is chatting rubbish. We've conceded the least goals of anyone since OGS has come in. How do we need two centre backs? :houllier:
And new midfielder? And new striker? Why? He is talking rubbish. Right back, defender and right winger is what we need

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

Can argue this wither way to be honest, but I think it would be wrong to go out and buy 5-6 players in one transfer window, your team are playing a lot better now and are really actually becoming a team! Too many transfers could throw that all out the window regardless how good they are and you become lots of individuals all over again throwing away a lot of the hard work since Mou left.

From the outside I would say you need a RW more than anything, I would go all out for Sancho, then possibly another CB, anyone else coming in would be a bonus for depth, but you have a lot of young players in the positions many people are calling for ie CM, RB etc who are already an integral part of the club. I can see Shaw and Dalot being your first choice full backs for years.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Neville should be nowhere near team challenging in Europe also. Ability wise, he shouldn't play for United that many years.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ole will only make at most 1 or 2 major signing, and promote a few youngster. Anyone who think otherwise are kidding themselves and living in FM world.

Loony BoB

Out: Valencia, Sanchez (doubt anyone will take him though), Bailly, Rojo, Darmian, Mata (I love the guy but I feel it's time to move him on - wouldn't be upset if we retained him for cup games or injury backfill only)
In: CB, LB/RB, RW to backfill those that are leaving. CM or a DM to boost our options in midfield.

More than likely we'll have to retain Sanchez and I'm not sure about Mata. I'd take a first choice CB, a solid RB and probably Sancho as my preferred options for our signings. Sancho is proven at the highest level already which is a massive bonus. Not sure about defenders or CM, will trust the management to get the right man...

EDIT: Just reading up on other posts and saw Rafael mentioned. Currently in the CL last 16, Lyon, and he's been solid for them. I wouldn't object to his return to us to bring depth with Rojo, Valencia and Darmian likely leaving, and of course Young getting Old.

Last edited:

Pavl3n

I would say we definitely need a RB. Dalot is not experienced enough to take the spot over Young. Hell, I even think we found an answer to the RW question with Dalot.

A great CB is another must - we need quality in depth as Smalling and Lindelof won't cut it through a full season on their own.

RW is the next on line. Couple of months ago I would've said it tops the priority list - not today. If we manage to get rid of Sanchez, Mata decides to leave, then I think we should invest in the position. But if one of them or both don't move the purchase of a right wide should be the last on the list.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
The problem last summer was that Mourinho wanted expensive 30 year old players, while the club wanted talent. We ended up with Fred, who I suspect nobody within the club really wanted. It looks likely that Solskjær goes into a new season with a feel-good factor around the club, and I can see us spending big this summer.
Exactly. That's always been the problem with Mouhrino. He can get you short term success, but when it inevitably all falls apart, the club is left with an aging squad in need of massive rebuilding.

I know this is completely unrealistic but i'd like the following replaced in the summer

Jones: I like him, but hes injured half the season
Rojo: Same as Jones, only hes not a good player either
Valencia: He is leaving
Young: I appreciate what hes done for the club, and hes a real team player, but hes getting really old now
Darmian: Not good enough
Baily: Incredibly athletic, completely lacking a football brain. Get nervous every time he plays
Mata: Same as Young. He was always slow but now he moves at a snails pace
Matic: Looks to be passed it.
Sanchez: Hes done at the top level

That still leaves us with:

----------------DDG---------------
Dalot--Smalling--Lindelof--Shaw
--------Herrera-----Fred--------
------------Pogba----------------
Lukaku----Rashford----Martial--

Subs: Romero, Fosu-Mensah, McTominay, Pereira, Lindgaard

The bolded players we should keep, but we might need to upgrade on them. A top class RB, RW and CM and we should be in really good shape. Promote some youngsters and buy a couple of cheap, exiting prospects

Caliban

N`Golo Kante at : Dmc (Him and Pogba have a relation)

Pogba - Herrera
Kante

That would produce a high energy midtfield in the style of Man Utd Utd (with Mctominay as a backup)

Sancho at RW (but normally his best position would be to cut in from the left as he is right footed?)

- -

The Rashford and Lukaku issue (if there is one) they play well together in a diamond. But not in a 4-3-3 (i`m exited how Ole & co will solve this) - Lukaku is a heavy player though, and thus can`t play every game (Give Lukaku a pre season and he will be even fitter, faster and more energetic. He is a profesional player)

Fosu-Mens

If OGS said that we need 4-5 signings, how would this message be viewed by the players? Even if OGS thinks that we should sign 4-5 players, it is unlikely that he would state it to others than the coaching and Woodward.

StrettyEnder07

Outgoings

9 Players -
Estimated £54.5m Transfer Fee
Estimed £26m Wages per Year

Released:
1. Antonio Valencia - £0. 100k pw
2. James Wilson - £0. 20k pw

Sold:
1. Marcus Rojo - £6.5m. 80k pw
2. Matteo Darmian - £6m. 60k pw
3. Timothy Fosu-Mensah - £5m. 15k pw
4. Axel Tuanzebe - £5m. 5k pw
5. Cameron Borthwick Jackson - £5m 10k pw
6. Juan Mata - £12m 140k pw
7. Eric Baily - £15m 75k pw

Some notes to these out goings:

1. Transfer fees all look very low, however United seem to have always sold players for crazy low amounts. We never really make anything from selling players

2. I have included Wilson as he’s out of contract in summer, on the wage bill & just shows the extent of the clean up job needed deep in our club.

3. Fosu-Mensah, Jackson & Tuanzebe included as although rated by quite a few it seems like they’ve been out on Loan for so many years that the squad has moved on & none of those 3 seem like they will become part of it. Generating anything over £15m in transfer fees, removing just I’ve £1m a year from wage bill (Seeing how Utd operate with outgoings, I wouldn’t be surprised if we pay loaned out players wages in full).

4. I personally would have put Phil Jones in there for £12-20m, however he’s just signed a new deal so seems like he’ll be around for a while. If we bring in another CB, we’d have 5, I feel 4 is right. So Bailly who hasn’t really settled despite promising performances here & there may leave

5. I would also have 100% put Sanchez in there, I’d love him to leave the club. Poor performances on the pitch, massive drain in wages as well as increasing wage demands of the players who actually deserve to be our highest paid (i.e De Gea). I just fear that with the wages Sanchez is on, we’ll be stuck with him for another season.

Loaned Out

These Players I feel need consistent experience, shouldn’t be sold

1. Angel Gomes
2. Tatith Chong
3. Mason Greenwood
4. James Garner

All to Championship Sides if possible, far more beneficial than U23’s. Would be limited on First Team Appearances, unless very easy Cup games or huge injury crisis.

5. Scott Mctominay

Prem or Scottish Club like Rangers. Any defensive minded CM signing would push him out of contention to play. Maybe a season too early to sell, see how he plays when playing for a club week in week out

Incomings

My knowledge of Full Backs isn’t great, I’d like the idea of Dalot & Shaw as 1st choice. We have Young as experienced back up. With Valencia leaving I feel we can go anyway with this: RB or LB, promote youth player or bring in an experienced player as back-up. That would be 4 Full Backs. Dalot & Young can play either side, in an injury crisis we have Phil Jones as a 5th option.

CB - Koulibaly- £80m. Looks a beast. Partnered with Lindelof. Smallings grabbing & VAR would see us relegated with number of penalties conceded. Would see us with Koulibaly, Lindelof, Smalling & Jones.

CM - Find a more mobile Matic but younger. Give Fred another season. - Pogba, Herrera, NEW CM, Matic, Fred, Pierrera

RM - Jadon Sancho - £100m would love him though.

Despite me not really knowing Targets, I feel that removes & cleans up the squad well. In ideal world Sanchez & Jones would leave too. 4 New Players enter the squad without disrupting too much
Selling Tuanzebe? Has done well at Villa until he got injured, is what 19, why are we selling for next to nothing when the lad has loads of potential

Alabaster Codify7

I have to admit I'm quite worried about the summer's narrative. I'm expecting very few signings, and a narrative of:

"We have chosen Ole because this is going to be a long-term process; Ole will trust and promote youth and we expect to see improvements in the existing first team players"

The suggestion will be that making signings is a sign of short-termism - like Jose.

stepic

love all these mass sales. what happens when we have our inevitable annual injury crisis? we need depth or we'll be playing u18's.

we will offload a few but no chance 7 or 8 like suggested here.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
I have to admit I'm quite worried about the summer's narrative. I'm expecting very few signings, and a narrative of:

"We have chosen Ole because this is going to be a long-term process; Ole will trust and promote youth and we expect to see improvements in the existing first team players"

The suggestion will be that making signings is a sign of short-termism - like Jose.
What do you consider a few transfer? Two or three?

We need to add quality! We have the quantity already with many potential youngsters coming up in the system.

First of all we need to add a quality CB to partner Lindelöf. Let’s get De Ligt and move on. Young and already a quality player.

The other marquee signing must be for the right wing. Add Sancho and for the same reasons as De Ligt.

As we have to look at Matic for a season or two more. Add a understudy. Sander Berge, easy.

Three players for 200-250 mil should do it.

Attackers: Martial - Rashford - Sancho
(Sanchez - Lukaku - Lingard + Greenwood)

Mid: Pogba - Matic - Herrera
(Fred - Berge - McTominay - Garner)

CB: De Ligt - Lindelöf
(Smalling - Jones - Tuanzebe)

LB: Shaw (Young)
RB: Dalot (Young, Laird)

I feel that this squad would be good enough.

Get rid: Rojo, Darmian, Valencia, Chong (loan), CBJ, Wilson.

StrettyEnder07

Sell/Release: Darmian, Rojo, Mata, Valencia, Sanchez (if we can).

Buy:
CB: De Ligt or Koulibaly
RB: Wan Biasska
MC: Neves
RW: Sancho or Brooks

Challenging for me if we do that with the kids we have as well.

deadrevelz

Ole will only make at most 1 or 2 major signing, and promote a few youngster. Anyone who think otherwise are kidding themselves and living in FM world.
Because clubs never sign more than two good players in a window?

deadrevelz

I have to admit I'm quite worried about the summer's narrative. I'm expecting very few signings, and a narrative of: "We have chosen Ole because this is going to be a long-term process; Ole will trust and promote youth and we expect to see improvements in the existing first team players"

It's concerning, but not sure if it would be any different if they had got Poch or Zidane etc. I'm hoping that since we haven't spent much in the last two windows and a new manager usually gets a decent budget, we might be ok. Since the club cares so much about youth, they can buy de Ligt, Sancho, Rice, AWB, Neves, Felix etc. :)

If I was United I would seriously consider making a move for Modric.

Now I fully understand the issues around this particular idea and United dont exactly have a great record with signing experienced players,especially recently.But if United were to also be able to bring in someone like Lyon's outstanding individual Ndombele,or a player in that mould ,while also having a energetic figure like Herrera besides him, I think that could potentially do wonders for us interms of stamping more of a possession based influence on matches.

One of the issues Modric has had this season is that no one alongside him puts in a similiar effort to that of our very own Herrera.
Kroos is lax and Casermiro has been incredibly naive this season with and without the ball.But if you have someone alongside Modric harrying the opposition while the little Croatian can concentrate fully on orchestrating the tempo for the team (with his possession skills) ,which is one of our major faults, and if we utilise him effectively ,much like how SAF dealt with a later Paul Scholes, then I think we could potentially be onto a winner.

*Plus Gomes could effectively become Modrics' understudy.How brilliant would that be.:drool:

I know this will likely be a unpopular opinion and Ole himself seems intent on United being fully focused on bringing in players of particular age bracket but as of yet I cant see anyone out there at present who could effectively give us the central ability Modric possesses with the ball.

A midfield with the options of Herrera,Ndombele,Matic,Fred,Modric,Pogba and with young talents like McTomminay,Garner and Gomes waiting in the wings does sound,on paper,exciting.

Last edited:

Valencia Shin Crosses

Now I fully understand the issues around this particular idea and United dont exactly have a great record with signing experienced players,especially recently.But if United were to also be able to bring in someone like Lyon's outstanding individual Ndombele,or a player in that mould ,while also having a energetic figure like Herrera besides him, I think that could potentially do wonders for us interms of stamping more of a possession based influence on matches.

One of the issues Modric has had this season is that no one alongside him puts in a similiar effort to that of our very own Herrera.
Kroos is lax and Casermiro has been incredibly naive this season with and without the ball.But if you have someone alongside Modric harrying the opposition while the little Croatian can concentrate fully on orchestrating the tempo for the team (with his possession skills) ,which is one of our major faults, and if we utilise him effectively ,much like how SAF dealt with a later Paul Scholes, then I think we could potentially be onto a winner.

*Plus Gomes could effectively become Modrics' understudy.How brilliant would that be.:drool:

I know this will likely be a unpopular opinion and Ole himself seems intent on United being fully focused on bringing in players of particular age bracket but as of yet I cant see anyone out there at present who could effectively give us the central ability Modric possesses with the ball.

A midfield with the options of Herrera,Ndombele,Matic,Fred,Modric,Pogba and with young talents like McTomminay and Gomes waiting in the wings does sound,on paper,exciting.
I wouldn't have any issue with getting Modric, but there is 0 chance Real lets him go for a fee that would be worth it.

I wouldn't have any issue with getting Modric, but there is 0 chance Real lets him go for a fee that would be worth it.
There were strong rumours last summer of Inter being interested in bringing him to the Giuseppe Meazza stadium ,with Modric reportedly being open to the idea.
Though the rumours suggested that Inter were unable to cough up the fee Madrid were looking for.

The issue with getting Modric for us wouldn't be down to the fee,if we were to make a move.It would largely come down to the recent fact that Zidane is now once again rejoining Madrid as manager.
Zidane is a huge fan of Modric and will likely know how to continue getting the best out of him.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
We need a right back, a right winger and probably someone to replace Matic. Also some cover for the left back position as well.

I'd be glad if we got just the right back and right wing position sorted.

Seven Seas Sardines

Koulibaly and Sancho would be enough for next season. Summer 2020 is when we should invest in a full-back, defensive midfielder(Young retires and Matic is goes to Italy) and left-footed winger.

IN
Koulibaly, Sancho

OUT
Darmian, Valencia, Rojo, Mata, Sanchez
De Gea
Dalot Lindelöf Koulibaly Shaw
Matic
Herrera Pogba
Sancho Rashford Martial

Romero
Fosu-Mensah Smalling Bailly Young
McTominay
Fred Pereira
Greenwood Lukaku Lingard

Grant, Tuanzebe, Jones, Chong, Gomes, Garner, Williams​

wolvored

We need a top class ball playing Centre back....An experienced RB and a deep lying defensive midfielder....If we make 3-4 good signings,I think we”ll compete for the title next season..l
Add a RW to that and I think that is what we will go for. Maybe a striker if Lukaku leaves.

sam147

Can argue this wither way to be honest, but I think it would be wrong to go out and buy 5-6 players in one transfer window, your team are playing a lot better now and are really actually becoming a team! Too many transfers could throw that all out the window regardless how good they are and you become lots of individuals all over again throwing away a lot of the hard work since Mou left.

From the outside I would say you need a RW more than anything, I would go all out for Sancho, then possibly another CB, anyone else coming in would be a bonus for depth, but you have a lot of young players in the positions many people are calling for ie CM, RB etc who are already an integral part of the club. I can see Shaw and Dalot being your first choice full backs for years.
I see where you are coming from. However, our depth is laughable. The team is playing better but it hasn't done so over a season. For that you need depth. Also Ole needs to make his mark on the team. He is currently adapting to the team to play how he wants but it is not 100%. I believe we need 5 signings minimum.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Personally, wasn't a fan when there was some hypothetical talk this summer, now even less with a year more under his belt. Also, don't think he would fancy a move back in EPL in this stage of his career. Big wages, won everything and on his last legs... Would rather spend big on potential world-class players in mould of De Ligt or Sancho.

We need a DoF. Ole never operated on this level in the transfer market and he needs all the help he can get. Sometimes have a feeling like we will finally give the job to the right person, but not with the right conditions to shine. And it will be a massive few transfer windows for us.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
This is just football manager stuff. Three players, four max is what we need.
Never played this football manager thing, so not sure how it works. We all have our own ideas on what the club want/need, your ideas are different to mine.