The Sunshine Kids - Rafael & Fabio joint autobiography

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Steve Round and wee Lumsden learning from the seniors instead of the other way around. Good times.
Tbf I didn't mind that. Wtf were the senior players at that time going to learn from Steve Round and co realistically?

Tom Van Persie

No relation
The bit on LvG doesn't surprise me. He once shouted at Herrera for scoring against Everton because he was out of position. The guy was a lunatic.

EtH

A lot of hipsters at the time kept saying Fabio will be better than Rafael. Was pretty weird as it never showed on the pitch.
I think he was better technically and generally more composed than his brother but injuries and the presence of Evra never allowed him to show whether or not that would translate.

stevoc

I loved Rafael. I'll never forget him squaring upto Tevez. Had proper heart. I'd take him over any right back we've had since too.
And to think he was sold to make way for the wet fart in human form that was Darmian is infuriating.

reelworld

I loved Rafael. I'll never forget him squaring upto Tevez. Had proper heart. I'd take him over any right back we've had since too.
He's a proper United player. Heart, mentality, and skill to match.
I still remember the 2-1 loss against Arsenal where most of United players played like shit, but Rafael was just taking them on scored on a great volley with his left

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
So neither of them were fullbacks as kids. Fabio was pretty much a striker and Rafael was in midfield.

They got picked up by Fluminense in Rio, and one training session it was particularly hot and Rafael moved over to right back because it was in the shade of some trees. Coach asked him if he played there and he said yes.

A bit later, the lad that had been left back for the youth side was turfed out for lying about his age, and the coach decided he wanted all his best players on the pitch so asked Fabio to give left back a try just to get some minutes.

Both apparently received a fair amount of criticism from the Brazillian press for having never played professionally in Brazil, and they both put that down as one of the reasons they never got a proper go in the national side, as the press apparently kept saying they were English.

RPT_Reddevil

“Every time I hear their names mentioned I smile,” Ferguson writes in the foreword to the book. “Of all the great players I managed, no one delighted me as much as these two young lads. Not that I put them in the lead in regard to performance, but in terms of their manner, their character and personality they took some beating.”
Summed it up perfectly.

Just loved their commitment and character on the pitch. Never backed out of any challenge put up to them. It was so evident that what playing for United meant for them. Wish we had more such characters around lately.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Tbf I didn't mind that. Wtf were the senior players at that time going to learn from Steve Round and co realistically?
So apparently Phelan and Muelensteen used to only bother with the young/inexperienced players and left the senior players to it.

Moyes came in and started coaching Rio on how to be a centre-back. No mention of Phil Jagielka videos, but he was pulling Rio and Vidic aside to tell them how to defend.

Round and Lumsden apparently spent the season trying to get to know the senior players. No mention of coaching input at all.

The biggest criticism they have of Moyes is that he was still an Everton manager. They said he used Everton tactics, planned Everton training drills and even the way he spoke to the players and press was as an Everton manager. There was one training session early on and the lads were asked to do a short passing drill, and Moyes was shouting "lads, this is supposed to be Manchester United" if the ball left the ground by even an inch.

They basically all despised that this guy who hadn't won anything and had no idea what their standard was had come in and told them what their standard was.

He was the more higher rated of the two when they joined. That was it.
I think he was better technically and generally more composed than his brother but injuries and the presence of Evra never allowed him to show whether or not that would translate.
Fabio was the goalscorer, basically. That's how the twins put it. Rafael was more defensively minded so he was better suited to English football, but Fabio was more "Brazillian" attack at all costs in his way of thinking (which is also why a lot of Fabio's early games were in Europe).

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Fabio wasn't bad in the 2nd CL Final vs Barca, and the little spell leading up to it was the only time he might have been considered better than Rafael.

hungrywing

...Moyes came in and started coaching Rio on how to be a centre-back. No mention of Phil Jagielka videos, but he was pulling Rio and Vidic aside to tell them how to defend.

Round and Lumsden apparently spent the season trying to get to know the senior players. No mention of coaching input at all.

The biggest criticism they have of Moyes is that he was still an Everton manager. They said he used Everton tactics, planned Everton training drills and even the way he spoke to the players and press was as an Everton manager. There was one training session early on and the lads were asked to do a short passing drill, and Moyes was shouting "lads, this is supposed to be Manchester United" if the ball left the ground by even an inch...
Him sacking the coaching staff plus those stories trickling out were how certain people knew right from the beginning that Moyes was out of his depth while the overwhelming general sentiment (quite naturally) 'let's support him/give him a chance' etc.

The higher the competency level of the staff the more often the incoming management figure will need to deliver a variant on a speech that essentially goes: "I'm not going to change much for at least the first year or perhaps even two, but don't think I'm incompetent or riding your coattails. For you, part of the challenge of this transition will be dealing with those feelings should they crop up; if they do, come and talk to me. That's it. Get to it; keep kicking ass."

Moyes seemingly not having done that was a major facepalm and set off every warning bell in existence. It was like a horror movie unfolding. He sacked the staff. Oh god, no he can't possibly one of *those* guys. He's inserting himself into established routines. Holy shit, run.

GueRed

I love Rafael mainly for his personality...

But he is overrated by a lot of fans. You'd think he was Cafu the way some speak about him :)

Decent defender at best.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Who the hell would read an autobiography of these two?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Who the hell would read an autobiography of these two?
It's not very long and it's easy to pick up for 10-15 minutes and put back down again.

It's not going to win any literary awards but for casual reading as a fan of both during their time at the club, it's decent enough.

A lot of that sound made up or exaggerated.
I think they've been pretty candid.

Rafael said after a couple of months not near the side under Moyes, Fabio basically gave up in training and said he shouldn't have done that even if he didn't want to renew his contract. He also reveals that Fabio was so frustrated at being out of the side that he started arguing with players in training which was unlike him and did him no favours.

He also said that Moyes had an impossible job and that the players certainly didn't help matters as they basically had a negative attitude towards him before he'd even started. He said that it was basically impossible for them too, as the Fergie departure came as such a shock.

The issue with Moyes was that they all still wanted Fergie and wanted things to be exactly as they were under Fergie, and that was never going to happen whoever they brought in.

I don't think either have revealed anything particularly surprising. We knew Moyes was out of his depth and we knew van Gaal was a stubborn old bore.

Last edited:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Some other notes I don't think I mentioned:

• Kiko Macheda was basically too laid back to make it
  • Said Pique didn't have the best attitude when he was in the reserves and didn't care about results in the reserves side
  • Rafael thought Giggs should have been given the job permanently after Moyes, although I think a lot of that comes from Giggs liking him and van Gaal not
  • Rafael thinks van Gaal basically didn't like him because he was Bayern manager when he was sent off against them in the CL a few years before
  • Also thinks Giggs was made his assistant to try and remind him that United were about expansive attacking football
  • Rafael knew the writing was on the wall for him in van Gaal's first league game when he started Lingard as RWB and Young as LWB, then replaced Lingard with Januzaj when injured, leaving him on the bench
  • Fabio had an offer from Leverkusen but was called by Ole (before he'd even been announced as manager) to see if he'd sign for Cardiff and was won over
  • Also said Craig Bellamy was (unsurprisingly) a bit of a twat to new signings as he assumed they weren't committed
Funnily enough, for all of the "which twin was better" talk while they were with us, particularly when they first joined and were breaking through, both say their older brother was the more talented player but he wasn't as driven to be a footballer.

Bebestation

@Alex99

Good that your reading it.

I wasn't really shocked about potential readers- I was just shocked at the urge for Rafeal and Fabio to write a autobiography.

They have achieved very minor things - if anything in football. Nothing in International football. Maybe one PL cup? Just surprised.

Must have had an interesting kid story.

stevoc

@Alex99

I wasn't really shocked about potential readers- I was just shocked at the urge for Rafeal and Fabio to write a autobiography.

They have achieved very minor things - if anything in football. Nothing in International football. Maybe one PL cup? Just surprised.

I imagine it's part of some nefarious and dastardly scheme to try to make some money.

fecking Jedward have an autobiography out so I think two guys who played over 200 games for Manchester United winnings 5-6 trophies in the process are in a good spot to release a book about their careers.

Raw

Rafael knew the writing was on the wall for him in van Gaal's first league game when he started Lingard as RWB and Young as LWB, then replaced Lingard with Januzaj when injured, leaving him on the bench
When you read something like this you just have to be grateful that we've got the squad we have now :lol:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
@Alex99

Rafael won 3 PL titles. They achieved a hell of a lot more than most footballers. Autobiographies aren’t just for the elite footballers.

Bebestation

Rafael won 3 PL titles. They achieved a hell of a lot more than most footballers. Autobiographies aren’t just for the elite footballers.
Thought it was, sorry.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
He's a proper United player. Heart, mentality, and skill to match.
I still remember the 2-1 loss against Arsenal where most of United players played like shit, but Rafael was just taking them on scored on a great volley with his left
Yep , that’s one of my abiding memories of Rafa.
He was our best player that day by a mile.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Some other notes I don't think I mentioned:

• Kiko Macheda was basically too laid back to make it
  • Said Pique didn't have the best attitude when he was in the reserves and didn't care about results in the reserves side
  • Rafael thought Giggs should have been given the job permanently after Moyes, although I think a lot of that comes from Giggs liking him and van Gaal not
  • Rafael thinks van Gaal basically didn't like him because he was Bayern manager when he was sent off against them in the CL a few years before
  • Also thinks Giggs was made his assistant to try and remind him that United were about expansive attacking football
  • Rafael knew the writing was on the wall for him in van Gaal's first league game when he started Lingard as RWB and Young as LWB, then replaced Lingard with Januzaj when injured, leaving him on the bench
  • Fabio had an offer from Leverkusen but was called by Ole (before he'd even been announced as manager) to see if he'd sign for Cardiff and was won over
  • Also said Craig Bellamy was (unsurprisingly) a bit of a twat to new signings as he assumed they weren't committed
Funnily enough, for all of the "which twin was better" talk while they were with us, particularly when they first joined and were breaking through, both say their older brother was the more talented player but he wasn't as driven to be a footballer.
Craig Bellamy?

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
@Alex99

Both enjoyed a certain amount of success at one of he biggest football clubs in the world under one a world famous manager.
Plenty of people interested in their story .
Bebe.

atomic keane

Who remembers the FA Cup game where they where great vs Arsenal, Fabio scored and the twins where both brilliant ☀6th round or something like that