The team that beat Arsenal 8-2

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
de Gea
Smalling Jones Evans Evra
Nani Cleverley Anderson Young
Rooney Welbeck
Mental.

Is that team really any better than our current strongest XI?

I think Fergie was too good. To the extent that it actually hurt us as he papered over the cracks so much our owners didn't feel the need to invest in the squad.

jackal&hyde

I think Rooney would make the World of difference in our team. Nani and Young were better then our current wingers too.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Evra was still a top LB, Young was a good player and scored 2 worldies, Nani was a good player and Rooney was class back then. The rest just performed better than their level due to SAF.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think Rooney would make the World of difference in our team. Nani and Young were better then our current wingers too.
Evra was miles better than Shaw, Evans better than Lindelof. Nani and Young are better wingers than what we have now. Anderson/Cleverley are better than McT.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think Evra>Shaw, Nani>Lingard, Young>James & Rooney>Rashford

Maybe Cleverley>McTominay too.

There's really not much between the two though.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
They were all pretty driven, apart from Anderson arguably. With Fergie's motivational qualities it worked wonders.

Ludens the Red

de Gea
Rooney Welbeck
Mental.

I think Fergie was too good. To the extent that it actually hurt us as he papered over the cracks so much our owners didn't feel the need to invest in the squad.
Wasn’t our strongest team in that period but it was very good. Might be forgotten but Phil Jones was actually very good when he burst onto the scene. Evans between 2009-2012 was also a quality centre back who would walk into any of our teams post Fergie. Evra was one of the best left backs in the world. This was when Nani and Young had a spell between 2009-2012 where they were the most productive wingers in the league (goals and assists back this up) Rooney speaks for itself and Welbeck contributed a lot to our overall play when he played.
Only really Anderson, Smalling and Cleverley of that period would not look out of place in the mess that we have now(and this was that weird one month where Anderson and Cleverley could play football) everyone else would walk in now.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We haven't got a forward anywhere close to what Rooney was or wingers as good as Nani and Young. If Rashford was around back then we'd see him as Welbeck level.

Also the Arsenal team that day was terrible.

TRUERED89

de Gea
Rooney Welbeck
Mental.

Arsenal's team that day looked even worse bar RVP, go check the line ups..

iHicksy

You see the difference was that that was an actual team. They knew nothing but how to win. That dressing room was just about winning, mentality is a big deal in sport. Those guys had different training sessions, they had for the most part played together under the same structure and management for years. They simply believed that they could beat anyone and Fergie's teams at the bare minimum would out work the opposition. Evra, Nani, Rooney were all world class but it was instilled in that team that Arsenal were essentially soft and every player in that team, was taught that they were tougher than anyone Arsenal put out. That kind of attitude was instilled in every player, even Ando.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
de Gea
Rooney Welbeck
Mental.

Pretty stupid point to make, that was one game against a massively depleted Arsenal side. More or less that same XI lost 1-6 to City a few weeks later. I mean why not compare the team that beat them in the FA Cup while you're at it? We had a midfield of something like Rafael, Gibson, O'Shea and Fabio or some such concoction that day

As proved by the first game of this season when our current side beat Chelsea 4-0, crazy scorelines can happen

Seriously mods revoke this guys thread making ability, they're always such a car crash

TRUERED89

Wasn’t our strongest team in that period but it was very good. Might be forgotten but Phil Jones was actually very good when he burst onto the scene. Evans between 2009-2012 was also a quality centre back who would walk into any of our teams post Fergie. Evra was one of the best left backs in the world. This was when Nani and Young had a spell between 2009-2012 where they were the most productive wingers in the league (goals and assists back this up) Rooney speaks for itself and Welbeck contributed a lot to our overall play when he played.
Only really Anderson, Smalling and Cleverley of that period would not look out of place in the mess that we have now(and this was that weird one month where Anderson and Cleverley could play football) everyone else would walk in now.
Young didn't join till that season not 2009..

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Play that game 100 times and I'm sure we wouldn't get close to an 8-2 scoreline. Just like City the other day scoring 5 within 20 minutes. Just freakish results that make the game a lot more interesting.

Actually couldn't watch the game. Had a lunch compromise I couldn't get out of. Kept checking the score on my mobile and couldn't believe what I was seeing.

haram

That was a one off crazy game so not really one to use as a reference to the general quality and level of that team
Arsenal were also not very good and I’m pretty sure Jenkinson got sent off as well.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
They were all pretty driven, apart from Anderson arguably. With Fergie's motivational qualities it worked wonders.
Bingo. That is totally correct. Sir Alex made sure that every Manchester United player knew exactly what it meant to play for United. He set the standards and made sure that the players lived up to them.
And one of those standards was never to be afraid of the opposition and never ever know when they are beaten.
With Arsenal, it was personal. Sir Alex did respect Arsen Wenger but always made sure that the team were prepared to battle as hard as possible.
Quite simply, he is a living genius and we must never forget for a second what he achieved.

TRUERED89

That was a one off crazy game so not really one to use as a reference to the general quality and level of that team
That season was really entertaining though, scored plenty goals (Rooney got 30+) entertaining football, lots of drama and comebacks and unfortunately lost on goal difference on the last day! That is probably my favourite non-title winning season (that or 2009-10).

Zlatattack

de Gea
Rooney Welbeck
Mental.

Evra, Evans, Nani, Rooney would walk into our team today. Evra and Rooney were excellent players, Nani was much better than anything we have today and Evans was probably the same as Lindelof tbh. He had his moments but never impressed me.

Even Anderson and Cleverly would start ahead of Matic and Fred, and they were dire players. Young in his pomp was a average player though, maybe slightly above average. I don't think he'd replace James, but would certainly play on the RW.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I remember the time when football was easy on the eye despite not spending millions of euros on this or that player. I of course saw the benefit of having an absolute baller like Ronaldo in the team, but i didn't miss someone like Mata despite his crazy numbers for Chelsea. It's been said time and again but SAF was one of the best managers i've ever seen and instead of Wenger, he never let the standards slip. Always on or at least near the top of the league table.

Btt while watching that particular game i was texting a mate and he was absolutely flabbergasted about the result. Fun times. :(

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
That was a weird result and it was hardly an arsenal team at the height of their powers to be fair, however that team is miles better than the one you have now, yes. Possibly the only players you currently have who walk into that team are Maguire and Wan Bissaka. As well as Pogba when he’s having a good day.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
de Gea
Rooney Welbeck
Mental.

Are you Serious? you're probably thinking of them when They're on decline. During that game :

Smalling - Young, quick defender, not too bad at going forward
Jones - Young defender, very versatile. In fact He rotated with Smalling for RB and He played DMF too. We held high hopes of him back then
Evans - Decent defender
Evra - Was still a good LB, really helped going forward
Nani - Could put a worldie performance on his days. The best dribbler We had. Good at crossing (can't say the same with any player from our current squad bar Pogba)
Cleverley - Comparable to Scott Mc.Tominay
Anderson - Could only run for 60 mins but at least didn't pass backwards for the whole game. Attacked the space when He had the stamina
Young - A new addition, scored 2 worldies, was arguably at his peak age
Rooney - Still a very good striker, our playmaker and main goal scorer
Welbeck - Comparable to Rashford

In fact, De Gea was the most vulnerable in that game. He was skinny, had a lot of pressure from the media, very young and trying to replace Van Der Sar. It's not an easy task.

I'd say the squad back then was a little bit better on paper but in the actual game, no one turned up half arsedly and that resulted in 8-2. They're just very good on that day and Arsenal's defence was poop.

Last edited:

el3mel

Rooney, Nani and Evra alone are better than our entire current lineup. Young was a new signing too and he was considered a pretty good one too.

Though the midfield was always underwhelming in SAF last few years and fans were all crying for a signing there.

Grande

Really strange thread, what is the point made? Which eleven played in Man Utd - Man City 1-6 some weeks later?

I temember that season start very well, as it was clear we were in a sort of rebuilding phase, and it was clear that Rene Meulensteen had gotten a lot more influence regarding how we should play.

We started the season fantastically, all attack football, a couple of 5-0 wins, the Arsenal game, and beating Chelsea 3-1. It seemed that young or fairly young players like De Gea, Evans, Jones, Smalling, Cleverley, Anderson, Nani and Welbeck were going rip it up and to put the Class of 92 to shame with orgasmic football. Some pointed out that we were porous at the back against Chelsea and hadn’t really been tested, but it was beautiful to watch. Then came the City match. After that, Fergie evidently pulled Meulensteen back on leish, we reverted to a more cautious football, won a lot of dire games by one goal and almost pipped City for the title even though they were a superior side on paper.

It was in some ways reminiscent of when Solskjær arrived, the first inspirational period, the shocks. But there were better, more established players in that team (Rooney, Nani, Evra, Fletcher, Carrick, Anderson still), and they had the Ferguson/Queiroz football to revert to which was well established in the team already.

OleTheGreat

I’d kill even to have a declining Rooney at the moment.
Just to be clear, Rooney was out of steam but his qualities never declined. I can see what he's doing with DC United since he's been there and it has been pretty decent. That one retrieval and pass for a goal was sublime and unforgettable for world football. I think he was ousted from the team very early.

Matt007a

That result was a one off rather than the norm. We're not 4-0 better than Chelsea yet that was the score on the day.

On top of that Rooney was on another level compared to any of our attackers. Nani was miles ahead of James or whoever we shove onto the wing and before he was a terrible full back, Young was actually a good winger. Evra was still one of the best LBs in the country as well.

f_to_z

Technically talking only Nani and Rooney are considered better than most of our current squad. But in terms of big influencial characters that can push, motivate, and carry the team...no one in our current squad get close to Rooney and Evras presence during a match. Plus of course Fergie on the side watching over.

Edit: just went back and saw the goals and subs. Giggs and Ferdinand were also part of the team and both are huge influences on and off the field.

Last edited:

AshRK

There will be no other manager like Sir alex. People can say Pep this , Jose that , Klopp that but none of them can match the legacy created by sir alex. He ran the show and made sure the players understood the importance of it. The problem now is most of the players think they have made it even without contributing very little. You look at Lingard , he acts like he is the leader of the youth academy. he is tosh. Sir alex would have thrown him out, not because he is not good at football but because his attitude sucks. It is good Ole has brought some sense of maturity in Lingard since his summer antics. It is sad but since 2013 many people involved in the club has taken it for granted and are using the club's name for their own good.

Ludens the Red

You see the difference was that that was an actual team. They knew nothing but how to win. That dressing room was just about winning, mentality is a big deal in sport. Those guys had different training sessions, they had for the most part played together under the same structure and management for years. They simply believed that they could beat anyone and Fergie's teams at the bare minimum would out work the opposition. Evra, Nani, Rooney were all world class but it was instilled in that team that Arsenal were essentially soft and every player in that team, was taught that they were tougher than anyone Arsenal put out. That kind of attitude was instilled in every player, even Ando.
Quite a crucial point to be made too. There were standards, now there are none.
Young didn't join till that season not 2009..
Yeah I know, I meant in the league in general, Young at Villa weirdly was more productive there than he was with us.

Walters_19_MuFc

de Gea
Rooney Welbeck
Mental.

Not far off, but where would that team finish this year with Liverpool and City's dominance. Probably 3rd or 4th.

Comparing the two teams:

de Gea
Rooney Welbeck

Vs.

de Gea
Wan-Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Shaw
James McTominay Pogba Lingard
Martial Rashford
The back five

Pretty much on par, i'd say. Smalling, whilst a not a natural right back used to do a really good job, especially defensively. Jones and Evans provided a good balance, that we've been seeing from Lindelof and Maguire, and Evra got forward very well.

Midfield two

Anderson and Cleverley in that season before both got injured were absolutely bossing it. Both complimented each other well and moved the ball with speed and accuracy. Talent wise; however, McTominay and Pogba are probably better. They just need time and the players around them.

Wingers

Nani on his day was world class. Could go on the outside and inside. Very hard to mark and unpredictable. Would easily be our best winger today during that time. Young, whilst not great, had a great cross/shot from the left.

James, despite starting very well is not at the level of our wingers back then and we shouldn't expect him to be. Certainly going in the right direction, though. Unfortunately, after that, we really struggle for wingers, and it still leaves me baffled as to why we didn't sign at least one more winger.

Strikers

All I can say is Rooney. Got so much stick for years on here, but he's always been the person to keep our attack together. That season, according to whoscored.com, he scored 27 goals and made 4 assists in the EPL.

Unfortunately, I can't see neither Martial or Rashford putting up those type of numbers. I mean, Welbeck that season got 9 goals and 4 assists, which is closer to the highest numbers Martial or Rashford have put up so far since they've been playing in the EPL.

I think this is the importance of us getting an attacker like Rooney who could potentially transform our whole attack. Along with a right winger, we've needed a top 10/second striker since Rooney went.

Players like Griezmann, Dybala, Son, Firmino are the type of players we could do with to help our young players and be that go to player.

Overall

Overall it's close, but the wingers and Rooney do it for me, which make a whole world of difference, especially when you struggle to break down defences like we do.

Going forward

de Gea
Wan-Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Winger McTominay Pogba James
Second Striker
Martial

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Wenger played Djourou at center back in that game before selling him a week later. Djourou was barely a league one player. :lol:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Ashley Young was one of the best wide players in the league when you signed him. Scored some absolute bangers for Villa and was in double figures for assists the season he left. He even basically became England's main man for a little time (alright, bit of a shit brag) so a prime Ashley Young out wide for United would do bits I think. He was brilliant at stepping inside and curling one in to the far corner Robben style (but on his right instead) and could whip in a fantastic ball. Was genuinely one of my favourite players to watch in the league whilst he was at Villa.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Rooney, Nani, Evra & Young obviously yes. Even Phil Jones at that age was considered to be more worthy of a shot to play ahead of Lindelof.

Chabon

Significantly better, yes.

The defence is probably on a par, and the midfield's arguably worse, although Anderson was in a great form at the time, and obviously we had Carrick to come back, who's on another planet to our current CMs. That attack, however, is fecking miles ahead of what we have now.

Our front four was was mostly drawn from Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez, Young, Nani, and Valencia (with the odd Berba or Park cameo), all of whom were playing something approaching the best football of their careers. We scored 89 goals, at the time the 4th highest total in PL history. Nobody likes to think of that season, for obvious reasons, but it's still a shame nobody's ever made an 'all the goals 2011/12' video to show just how good we were going forward.

Last edited: