The tempo of our play

Hammondo

Do we have better attacking players than Liverpool? We definitely have better midfield players but I don't think better attacking players.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Was a disappointing result but they played alright. Our tempo wasn't good second half and that was disappointing that we didn't kick on once we got the second goal. I think Fellaini was a big miss because I think he'd have come on once we got that to give us more protection. Thankfully we don't have to wait long to the next game and hopefully we'll see a better tempo. That said, Lukaku should have won it for us near the end. Last season we would have lost I think so we can build on this. Perhaps it was a mistake taking off Rashford also.

Gibb11

Our tempo when playing in a midfield 2 is fine. Today we had Herrera running into Matic and Pogba's position and Pogba running into Matic's position creating a vaccum (which is normally occupied by either Mkhi or Mata in a midfield two) in the no 10 position thereby leading to us passing sideways for most of the game followed by a long ball to our big man upfront. I think Jose got his tactics slightly wrong this game.
Agreed, though completely understandable why we went with the 3, hell I would have done the same but as I saw the pattern of the game in the first half it didn't feel that we needed to have Herrera there (probably easier to say as he was fairly poor in the game anyway) I felt we missed Pogba having more possession deeper and starting moments and attacks from there which from my memory I have not noticed in his time here as I usually think his best role is slightly higher up the pitch but this season so far hes been brilliant with just him and Matic.

Reactions: Penna

NK86

Do we have better attacking players than Liverpool? We definitely have better midfield players but I don't think better attacking players.
Lalana, Coutinho, Firmino, Mane and Salah
Rashford, Martial, Mkhitariyan, Mata, Lukaku (and Zlatan if you want to count him).

We edge it for sure IMO but somehow our players seem lost when trying to build momentum with the other team sitting back. On the other hand, teams like City look like they will score every time they make a sweeping move and that's a huge difference.

NK86

Agreed, though completely understandable why we went with the 3, hell I would have done the same but as I saw the pattern of the game in the first half it didn't feel that we needed to have Herrera there (probably easier to say as he was fairly poor in the game anyway) I felt we missed Pogba having more possession deeper and starting moments and attacks from there which from my memory I have not noticed in his time here as I usually think his best role is slightly higher up the pitch but this season so far hes been brilliant with just him and Matic.
Pogba went deep plenty of times. However we just don't seem to have players who are adept at those quick one-twos. On the face of it we should be able to do it with the personnel we have but for some reason we don't see that on the pitch very often.

NK86

Our tempo was murders by playing Pogba as a 10 and restricting Herrera in a 4-2-3-1 shape. Had we played a straight 4-3-3 with two 8 we'd have been better
Pogba did play as a #10 but he was coming deep plenty of times to get the ball. It's just that he was off the boil yesterday. I would like to see him get the game by the scruff in such tough matches. That's the hallmark of a true midfield great and he really needs to learn and become more mature with possession. Feel sometimes he can move the ball quicker but his own ability on the ball kind of makes him a prisoner of trying to do everything by himself

Jagga7

It's managers and style of play. Mourinho has never played a high up tempo game.

NK86

It's managers and style of play. Mourinho has never played a high up tempo game.
His Madrid side did. I am not sure why we cannot as that is what we need to break down defenses which sit deep.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
If we win the league with such a curate's egg of a side, it'll be a hell of an achievement for the manager.
I find that comment madness. Mourinho has been here 2 summers now, spending close to £300m net according to Transfermrkt. That's no major achievement, the fact the side doesn't seem to fit together well is just bad buying. Pep is told he has to win it for spending at £325m net and rightly so, but Mourinho is in the same boat.

If he wins it it'll be a good achievement because it's a tough league; but if he doesn't challenge then it's very poor.

minoo-utd

Players were waiting for something odd to happen they didn't create enough, there were no urgency. Jose should mark these mistakes and work on fixing them instead of blaming the national break or anything else. Everton game is huge now if we get back to winning ways then it's a positive sign unlike last season,but if not then my guess we will be fighting once more for only champions league place.

Jagga7

His Madrid side did. I am not sure why we cannot as that is what we need to break down defenses which sit deep.
He had one of the best sides in Europe and still adopted a sit back and counter attack mentality. We're never going to play eye pleasing fast football. Mourinho will always be a defensive coach.
We had been really solid until yesterday but that was just individual mistakes.

Hammondo

Lalana, Coutinho, Firmino, Mane and Salah
Rashford, Martial, Mkhitariyan, Mata, Lukaku (and Zlatan if you want to count him).

We edge it for sure IMO but somehow our players seem lost when trying to build momentum with the other team sitting back. On the other hand, teams like City look like they will score every time they make a sweeping move and that's a huge difference.
I'm not sure we do edge it.

NK86

He had one of the best sides in Europe and still adopted a sit back and counter attack mentality. We're never going to play eye pleasing fast football. Mourinho will always be a defensive coach.
We had been really solid until yesterday but that was just individual mistakes.
Being solid does not mean we have to be average going forward. Bayern are solid defensive but are excellent in attack as well. SAF's sides of old were rock solid at the back and exciting going forward. So it's not a case of one or the other.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We don't have the players to play a fast tempo passing game compared to our rivals.

We have the same attacking players as last year and the same full backs, it's not going to dramatically change this season compared to last.

Klopp_De_Klown

Yea it was one of my criticisms of us yesterday. Our tempo was not what we had seen so far this season. We are better, in my opinion anyway, when we run teams off the park.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Our tempo was fine in the two home games this season. Lets see how we play against Everton next.

Pavl3n

Why is it so slow and laborious? We have spent so much money and yet our team moves the ball hilariously slowly compared to some of the other top teams around.

I am not comparing us to the Real Madrid and Barcelona teams of this world but even compared to City and Liverpool we seem to be very slow in our build up. City may have the better attackers but our attack, at least on paper, is better than Liverpool yet their attacking play is far more potent and easier on the eye than ours.

So what is the reason? Poor coaching, players not doing the basic things correctly, fear of being caught out of position? I just cannot pin point the main cause for why we struggle to break down teams by quick and incisive passing regularly.
I believe it was a tactical approach. We saw how well Stoke were organized and when defending they were with 5 at the back, sort of 5-4-1 - doubling on the wings and a line of 4 in midfield, which in my opinion left them with only 2 in central midfield. Mourinho is obsessed with the idea of having an extra person in midfield and I think that dictated his decision to go to 3 man midfield.
With regards the slow build-up, I feel the idea was to frustrate them with our sluggish linking in our half and draw them out of position thus opening space between the lines and making their back line move up, which actually opened some space to run in behind. We saw some really good runs from Rashford.
Had it not been for some awful defending, especially for the first goal, we would've been looking at a different scoreline.

Maybe because our team is still not well balanced. We dont have a real left back and we dont have a real winger on the right. Darmian cant even cut back or really help building up play on the left and Mkhi for me is a 10, he can't really beat a player on the wing because he isnt superfast nor skillful or strong so we play safe most times. I do think we should give Rashford a run on the right and Martial left and just sacrifice herrera with Mkhi behind Lukaku. Both Rashford and Martial are too good to be sitting on the bench.
I totally agree. And I was really confused at the decision to go with Darmian instead of Blind, who, even if it was against Bulgaria, had a really good game and was runner up for the man of the match award.
I don't really understand why we haven't gone about business like city and bring in 2 or 3 more players. I suspect we have a limit on our spendings as every time we are around the 150m mark.
We don't have a true right winger, our left backs aren't great (Blind is playing to the limit of his abilities, yet he still comes a touch short). Valencia is another issue - some say I'd rather practice one shot 10000 times than 10000 shots 1 time and I think that's the case with him. He is a one trick pony, whose trick is really good, however little by little teams are adjusting to his trick and some manage to nullify him. He is sound defensively and good going forward, but we need a bit more than that.

AshRK

The problem yesterday was our midfield especially herrera and pogba. They refused to pass the ball quickly, pogba should sometimes release the ball quickly rather than taking an extra touch. Herrera also was very unlike herrera yesterday, hesitant in passing and keeping hold of the ball for too long. Also, all the sideways passing from our defenders was pathetic . Overall, I would like to put yesterday's performance a one off as most of our players looked lackluster.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Pogba did play as a #10 but he was coming deep plenty of times to get the ball. It's just that he was off the boil yesterday. I would like to see him get the game by the scruff in such tough matches. That's the hallmark of a true midfield great and he really needs to learn and become more mature with possession. Feel sometimes he can move the ball quicker but his own ability on the ball kind of makes him a prisoner of trying to do everything by himself
I've never seen him play well as a 10 in his career. The moment we played him there I knew he'd be average compared to his best level. For me its actually Herrera who dissapointed me more. He was lost all game.