The Third Basketball Fantasy Draft

Skizzo

So after the previous incarnation fizzled out, I thought a new one could be given a go if there's enough interest.

If there's enough interest for 16 teams great, but 8 might be the goal here due to somewhat of a limited interest.

So far I'm contemplating a straight forward snake draft with some restrictions. Each manager will submit one player they want blocked from the draft. MJ will be the DraftMaster block. I'll announce further restrictions once sign-ups are complete and we know where we stand.

Manager Draft Order
1. OB
2. Edgar Allan Pillow
3. Sarni
4. Akshay/Syrian
5. Mazhar/Mani
6. AltoDevil/Kasper
7. Skizzo
8. Moby

No. of picks: 10. Pick your starting five and a bench. You will need at least two players to cover each of the following positions: PG, SG, SF, PF, C.

General Rules:

1. Snake Draft Format i.e. picks start with Manager 1, then 1-8, 8-1, 1-8 and so on. (Random Order, initialised by a neutral.
2. All managers have 8 hours to decide their pick, if not they can pick whenever they are ready while the draft continues. Three missed picks in a row results in loss of the eight hour window
3. When you make a pick, please post the player name and/or a picture, update the ongoing draft list and tag the next manager.
4. Once a pick is posted in the thread, either by a manager or his assistant, it CANNOT be changed. This rule is final, no exceptions (posted by mistake, etc). Be careful before posting a pick.
5. There will be 10 rounds of drafting.
6. Once the teams are drafted, the draw will be done for the knockout rounds.
7. Game schedule must be decided upon by both managers and be within a week of the draw. If the game misses the scheduled deadline due to one manager, that manager will be disqualified in the interest of keeping this moving along.
8. Reinforcements will be done after each round of matches. **Number of reinforcements to be determined when number of managers is finalized**

DOB cutoff and No-Mate rules
  • Michael Jordan is blocked
  • Players much have been born on January 1st, 1960 or later.
  • Players you pick must not have played together in any NBA league or playoff game. All Star games, Internationals, Olympics etc don't count. Just being part of the same roster is enough to count as "played together".

Last edited:

NM

I'll play if you can't fill 8.

OB

I want to play. Unless rules make it complicated. Im still learning the NBA so don't mind if my team sucks

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
If there is room, I'm in.

Also up for a team share, two heads are better than one.

Skizzo

Update the list with your name as you go please, that way we know where we are.

As for the restrictions, I'll go with the consensus if the majority want it a little looser.

We can start from a specific year onwards. Example, 94-95 season to present.
Every manager will have one player to block.
Was going to introduce a "never played together" rule. So for example you couldn't pick both Klay and Steph.

With the "no mates rule" we can avoid the blocking of players to keep the pool a little more open if preferred.

managers so far
1. Skizzo
2. Akshay/Syrian
3. OB
4. Moby
5. AltoDevil

Reserves
Mani
NM

Akshay

Staff
We can start from a specific year onwards. Example, 94-95 season to present.
Every manager will have one player to block.
Was going to introduce a "never played together" rule. So for example you couldn't pick both Klay and Steph.
Yeah, like the 'no mates' rule. With MJ still blocked maybe.

Maybe 90s onwards? Game was pretty different in the 80s so not sure about including those. Could also go more modern and 2000 onward.

Skizzo

Yeah, like the 'no mates' rule. With MJ still blocked maybe.

Maybe 90s onwards? Game was pretty different in the 80s so not sure about including those. Could also go more modern and 2000 onward.
90-91 onwards, MJ blocked, No Mates rule sounds like it might be the way to go.

Moby

Dick
90-91 onwards, MJ blocked, No Mates rule sounds like it might be the way to go.
Will be a shame to lose that GOAT talent of the 80s but if that's what everyone wants then sure, let's go ahead with that.

Also one problem that was there I think was evaluating performances as players picked had performances outside the time frame as well. Maybe use a date of birth like we've done in footy drafts and take the entire career into account then?

Skizzo

Will be a shame to lose that GOAT talent of the 80s but if that's what everyone wants then sure, let's go ahead with that.

Also one problem that was there I think was evaluating performances as players picked had performances outside the time frame as well. Maybe use a date of birth like we've done in footy drafts and take the entire career into account then?
Only two responses so far, so it's not a final decision yet by any means.

Basketball seems a little harder to translate the older players into newer player discussions though.

I'm fine with a longer year restriction since the no mates rule might be tricky with a limited pool here .

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
I'd be happy to be an assistant this time, being a manager was quite time consuming last time and I'm quite busy at the moment so that's not an option.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I'd be happy to be an assistant this time, being a manager was quite time consuming last time and I'm quite busy at the moment so that's not an option.
I'll go with you.

OB

Whats the criteria? If its after 1990 i don't think id do very good, and would rather be managing with someone

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I'll take the 8th spot if no one else is interested. I'd also prefer an AM/co-manager as I'm also involved in EAP's draft.

Akshay

Staff
Whats the criteria? If its after 1990 i don't think id do very good, and would rather be managing with someone
I'll take the 8th spot if no one else is interested. I'd also prefer an AM/co-manager as I'm also involved in EAP's draft.
Maybe you guys could team up or with @Mani @NM ? Or maybe those two form another team?

NM

I can help anybody, just can't be heavily involved

OB

I dont mind anyone. I'd want someone who can lead and whom i could assist as my knowledge is limited. :D