The Third Redcafe Sheep Draft

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

THE THIRD REDCAFE SHEEP DRAFT

The gluttons for mutton are back: it's the Third Redcafe Sheep Draft.

What's a sheep draft and how does it work?
  • Before every round, I will post new criteria. Every manager has to PM me their pick that meets the criteria.
  • Every manager will be allowed three picks (attempts) in every round to pick a player in every round. If you manage to sign a player successfully in the first pick (attempt), you will not participate in the next two attempts for that round, obviously.
  • At the end of every picking round I will announce which managers successfully signed their players, but I will NOT announce the name of the players, so that the managers who failed in that attempt would have to make their second/third attempt without the knowledge of which players were picked in the same round earlier.
  • How does a manager get his pick? You get your pick if and only if you were the only one who chose that player. There are three ways in which your pick will be blocked:
    1 - In the same round and same attempt there were other managers who chose the same player.
    2 - The player you chose was already successfully signed by someone in the same round in the previous attempt.
    3 - Your pick doesn't match the criteria.
  • For any manager biting off more mutton than they can chew, they will be allocated a sheep. These will be allocated by the Sheep Committee.
That sounds complicated, give me an example.
Let's say A, B, C, D and E are playing the draft.

I announce the criteria - Round 1 - pick a player who was a World Cup winner.

All 5 managers PM me their picks as follows :

Pick 1 :

A : Pele
B : Pele
C : Ronaldo
D : Maradona
E : Matthaus

According to the rules, A and B don't get any players and their picks are BLOCKED. C, D and E successfully sign their players. So, at the end of the deadline I will post something like this :

Results of Round 1, Pick 1 :

A : Fail (Pele)
B : Fail (Pele)
C : Pass
D : Pass
E : Pass

Blocked List : Pele.

Important : I will NOT announce the names of successfully drafted players till the end of the round. So the managers going into the second/third attempt will not be knowing which players apart from the ones that were blocked due to duplicate entries are not available.

Now, A and B have to submit again for the same criteria as their second attempt. Let's say :

A : Maradona
B : Beckenbauer

And I announce after 24 hours :

Results Round 1, Pick 2 :

A : Fail (player already drafted)
B : Pass

B gets his pick as it was not picked by another manager in the same attempt while also not being drafter earlier. A misses his pick again even though it was not picked by another manager in the same round, it was drafted by someone else earlier.

Now, A has to go for a third and last attempt. Let's say :

A : Beckenbauer.

And I announce :

Round 1, Pick 3 results :

A : Fail (player already drafted).

Full round results :

A : Sheep
B : Beckenbauer
C : Ronaldo
D : Maradona
E : Matthaus

A again fails, as B had already successfully drafted Beckenbauer which A wasn't aware of.

So, A ends the round without any player and will be assigned a sheep.

End of example.

Who is playing?

1. The Stain
2. Joga Bonito
3. Chesterlestreet
4. Sjor Bepo / Physiocrat
5. Snow
6. EAP
7. MJJ
8. Marty1968 / bleezy
9. Stobzilla
10. Skizzo / Pat
11. mazhar13
12. KM / Invictus
13. Tuppet
14. Isotope
15. Enigma_87
16. Cal?

Basic Rules
  • The draft will be all-time. That doesn't mean it's going to be a legends wankfest: the managers want a challenging draft and as such the criteria will be demanding and minimise the chances of superteams being formed too early.
  • The competition format will be straight knockout. Players will be judged on their prime as per the usual fare.
  • Initial squads will be formed of 12 players.
  • No naming or hinting of unpicked players. This is to reduce the chances of managers colluding out of a 3rd round shitstorm.
  • Managers and any assistant(s) can vote in any game bar their own. No semi-final survivors can vote in the semi-finals.
  • Submissions for match thread OPs should not exceed 1 post. Your players (and voters) will switch off if you can't get your team-talk across in less than 1 post.
Deadlines

Pick 1 - 24 hours
Pick 2 - 12 hours
Pick 3 - 12 hours

No changing of picks once submitted. New rounds will aim to start at 9pm GMT.

Scoring System

In the interests of rejuvenating the existing format, a new scoring system will be in place for this draft. Voters will have 8 scorelines to choose from. Whichever manager has the most votes for scorelines in their favour is the winner. Should there be a draw, the scorelines will be tallied up to find a winner. So, in order of priority:

1. Who has the most votes (regardless of scorelines) in his favour?
2. Who has the best "goal difference" based on the scorelines people have voted for?

Example:
1-0 --- 2 votes
2-1 --- 1 vote
3-0 --- 0 votes
3-2 --- 1 votes
2-3 --- 2 votes
0-3 --- 1 vote
1-2 --- 1 vote
0-1 --- 0 votes

Four votes say A wins, four say B wins. Draw. But:

Goal difference:
A: 7-3
B: 11-5

B wins on "goal difference".

It may still be vulnerable to outlier votes and the like, but it's less random than penalties (which people seem bored of on the whole).

Summed up: Format remains essentially the same - but the scorelines add a bit of flavour, and can be used to determine the winner in the case of a draw.

In the unlikely event of penalties, the Sheep Committee will group the goalkeepers into three tiers and award a sliding handicaps on that basis. Minutiae to be confirmed.

Reinforcements

The approach for reinforcements will be revealed following the first round of matches.

Draw

In the interests of transparency, I or a member of the Sheep Committee will carry out all draws.
In the event of any dispute, my decision is final.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
TEAMS AFTER 12 SHEEP DRAFT ROUNDS:

The Stain (1) Stoichkov (2) De Gea (3) Xavi (4) R. Carlos (5) Cohen (6) A. Borges (7) Jara (8) Townsend (9) Gillespie (10) Iniesta (11) Eurico Gomes (12) Rossi
Joga Bonito (1) Kocsis (2) Schuster (3) Thuram (4) Michel (5) Grabowski (6) B. Holmes (7) M. Holland (8) Umana (9) Masopust (10) Zagatti (11) Neeskens (12) Daniel
Chesterlestreet (1) Šekularac (2) Franklin (3) Larsson (4) Mendieta (5) Mullery (6) Junior (7) Owen (8) Kilbane (9) Blanchflower (10) Billy Wright (11) Bezsonov (12) Fillol
Sjor Bepo/Physiocrat (1) Charisteas (2) J. Johnstone (3) Bergomi (4) Schneider (5) Trautmann (6) Hoddle (7) Holebas (8) Finnan(9) Law (10) Scholes (11) Gentile (12) Jaime Pacheco
Snow (1) Boniek (2) Djemba-Djemba (3) M. Laudrup (4) Arce (5) Bale (6) Mario Coluna (7) Mensah (8) Dezotti (9) Schmeichel (10) Larrazábal (11) Bonini (12) António Sousa
EAP/ctp (1) Džajić (2) Monti (3) C. Moore (4) Sierra (5) Socrates (6) Luis Pereira (7) F. De Boer (8) Lupu (9) Eusebio (10) Sárosi (11) Urruti (12) Gerets
MJJ (1) Yashin (2) A. Hansen (3) Völler (4) R. Gomez (5) McGrath (6) Souness (7) Romario (8) Petrescu (9) Gullit (10) Mazzola (11) Robson (12) Ferrer
Marty1968/bleezy (1) Baros (2) Fontaine (3) Kahn (4) Srna (5) Spearing (6) Cerezo (7) Ballack (8) Cambiasso (9) Koeman (10) Joan Segarra (11) Winterburn (12) Zola
Stobzilla (1) Demyanenko (2) Dixie Dean (3) Hierro (4) Ha Seok-Ju (5) Gerrard (6) Henry (7) Maradona (8) Prosinecki (9) Suurbier (10) Shesternyov (11) Reid (12) Konsel
Skizzo/Pat (1) Dasayev (2) Pedernera (3) N. Santos (4) Nelinho (5) Antognoni (6) José Manuel Moreno (7) Trezeguet (8) Jorge Rodriguez (9) Rensenbrink (10) Gonçalves (11) Rosato (12) Horst
mazhar13 (1) Netto (2) Schiaffino (3) Matthews (4) Genghini (5) Hasselbaink (6) Stielike (7) Quirarte (8) Rotariu (9) Charles (10) Armando Castellazzi (11) Seaman (12) Bennarivo
Invictus/KM (1) Bene (2) Liedholm (3) Chipperfield (4) Lee Chun-Soo (5) Hellstorm (6) Trésor (7) Vieri (8) M. Bernal (9) Gento (10) Camacho (11) Rivera (12) Kurbjuhn
Tuppet (1) Olisadebe (2) V. Mazzola (3) Balint (4) Wynalda (5) Djimi Traore (6) Breitner (7) Bergkamp (8) Brnović (9) Di Stefano (10) Plánička (11) Roth (12) Jardine
Isotope (1) Boban (2) Sivori (3) F. Walter (4) Branco (5) Hyppia (6) Allardyce (7) Dunga (8) Marcio Santos (9) Van Basten (10) Busquets (11) Nesta (12) Fatty Foulke
Enigma_87/RedTiger (1) Stojkovic (2) Redondo (3) Cannavaro (4) Kubik (5) Signori (6) Vogts (7) Shearer (8) Komano (9) Seedorf (10) Billy McNeill (11) Nedved (12) Roa
Cal? (1) Vidic (2) Reus (3) Zidane (4) Beckham (5) De Rossi (6) Ibrahimovic (7) C. Ronaldo (8) Carragher (9) Irwin (10) Gary Neville (11) Guardiola (12) Lama

RESULTS

ROUND 1

Cal? 3-2 Tuppet (29-4)
Edgar/ctp 2-1 mazhar (14-5)
Chesterlesteet 2-1 Marty/bleezy (11-5)
Isotope 3-2 The Stain (16-7)
Enigma/RedTiger 2-1 MJJ (13-11)
Stobzilla 2-1 Skizzo/Pat (11-10)
Sjor/Physio 3-2 Snow (12-7)
Isotope/KM w/o Joga Bonito

QUARTER-FINALS
Stobzilla 3-2 Invictus/KM (20-8)
Edgar/ctp 2-1 Isotope (10-4)
Cal? 2-1 Sjor/Physio (17-2)
Enigma/RedTiger 2-1 Chesterlestreet (10-8)

SEMI-FINALS
Edgar/ctp 2-1 Cal? (13-7)
Stobzilla 3-2 Enigma/RedTiger (18-6)

Last edited:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I'd recommend shrinking this to 2 attempts only to make it challenging.

And can the round start time be moved to 12:00 noon or even better 14:00 hrs GMT?
Nah, I'd rather we have tougher criteria than limited picks per round.

Also, is there no blacklist of players? If so, that's awesome!

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
First time in a year or.so I had time to play this :(

Anyone wants an assistant?

bleezy

Missed this, would loved to have played.

Anyone after an assistant to help research?

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Let me check with @Pat_Mustard and see if he wants to put up with me again :D if not, I'd love someone to bounce some ideas around with.

Feel free to accept someone else's offer though. Don't want you waiting around for me :)
I was going to sit the next few drafts out, but on further consideration you're stuck with me for another draft :D.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Let's get the start-up date settled whilst we wait then.

Just state the time you can start at the latest

1) Joga Bonito - Today

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
1) Joga Bonito - Today
2) Enigma_87 - Today
3) Marty1968 - NOW!!!
4) EAP - Today
5) MJJ - now
6) KM/ Invictus - Yesterday.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
And can the round start time be moved to 12:00 noon or even better 14:00 hrs GMT?
A man's got to work. That may make it challenging. However, I'm an accommodating guy so if there's a load of managers who'd prefer an earlier or lunchtime kick-off, I can aim to do it. What say the rest of you sheep-shaggers?

Enigma_87

You know who
A man's got to work. That may make it challenging. However, I'm an accommodating guy so if there's a load of managers who'd prefer an earlier or lunchtime kick-off, I can aim to do it. What say the rest of you sheep-shaggers?
For me evening time works better as I have work during the day as well. But will acommodate if it is better for the majority.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
1) Joga Bonito - Today
2) Enigma_87 - Today
3) Marty1968 - NOW!!!
4) EAP - Today
5) MJJ - now
6) KM/ Invictus - Yesterday.
7) Sjor/Physiocrat - today

@Gio you can also add physio with my name as he is my AM.