The thought of losing Rashford

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Other than Mbappé, there is no obvious u23 striker in world football better than Marcus Rashford. If fans don’t have patience with him, they won’t have time for anyone. He’s one of the better young forwards in world football. A striker scoring 15/16 goals at 21 at a big club is perfectly healthy and normal. Not his fault that there is no 27 year old striker scoring 25, as there should be. The 26 year old striker is being benched by him because he can’t run for more than 15 minutes, or control a football.

Zeno

Other than Mbappé, there is no obvious u23 striker in world football better than Marcus Rashford. If fans don’t have patience with him, they won’t have time for anyone. He’s one of the better young forwards in world football. A striker scoring 15/16 goals at 21 at a big club is perfectly healthy and normal. Not his fault that there is no 27 year old striker scoring 25, as there should be. The 26 year old striker is being benched by him because he can’t run for more than 15 minutes, or control a football.
This seems reasonable to me.

As an aside I don’t do much social media, it strikes me as a highly unrealiable basis for any judgment of anything. Tread carefully.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
He's 21-years-old. Has been in and out of the side for quite a while now, playing as a winger mostly, but still has the goal contribution rate of a half-decent striker.

Reckon it's worth giving him a year to see if he can hit 20 goals this season and generally improve his all-round game. If he doesn't flog him for £30-40m to Everton.

Steven-UK

SAF would have kicked this very average, and demanding player out of the club..... if the reports are true.

el3mel

Luka Jovic.

jackal&hyde

I think he's underrated by some and overrated by others, to the extreme. When he had a few good games, comparisons to Mbappe were flying everywhere. He does have a lot of quality but also a lot to work on.

GGM20

New member here so go easy on me.

To me, the biggest problem with Rashy is that he sees other young, up-and-coming players like Mbappe and Martial, and he wants to mirror their game (less hustle, more silky skills) instead of sticking with his qualities that made him an exciting prospect to begin with. For example, his incredible assist to Pogba against Bournemouth was probably the worst thing that happened for his end-of-season form because it made him think that he could pull that off every game and he began to try to dribble too much. If he's going to be our main striker, he's got to realize (or the coaches have to make him realize) that his game is more Jamie Vardy than Mbappe/Martial. Making smart runs, closing down defenders, smart one touch finishes/passes, instead of trying to dribble around defenders/holding the ball for too long every time in order to score the odd worldy/make an outrageous assist. If he solely focuses on his finishing rather than on his dribbling from now on, there's nothing wrong with him ultimately becoming a more skillful Jamie Vardy - that's a 20 goal a season striker right there. Just has to realize that he doesn't have the skill of or just is a different player than the Mbappes/Martials of the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ødegaard

Steven-UK

To me, the biggest problem with Rashy is that he sees other young, up-and-coming players like Mbappe and Martial, and he wants to mirror their game (less hustle, more silky skills) instead of sticking with his qualities that made him an exciting prospect to begin with. For example, his incredible assist to Pogba against Bournemouth was probably the worst thing that happened for his end-of-season form because it made him think that he could pull that off every game and he began to try to dribble too much. If he's going to be our main striker, he's got to realize (or the coaches have to make him realize) that his game is more Jamie Vardy than Mbappe/Martial. Making smart runs, closing down defenders, smart one touch finishes/passes, instead of trying to dribble around defenders/holding the ball for too long every time in order to score the odd worldy/make an outrageous assist. If he solely focuses on his finishing rather than on his dribbling from now on, there's nothing wrong with him ultimately becoming a more skillful Jamie Vardy - that's a 20 goal a season striker right there. Just has to realize that he doesn't have the skill of or just is a different player than the Mbappes/Martials of the world.
Vardy is a different beast altogether to Rashford, I feel. A younger Vardy I'd swap for Rashford in a heartbeat.

Decent point though, I feel it is mental, together with maturity that is Rashford's main issue.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Rashford is 21.

For comparative purposes, Ronaldo at Rashford's age had scored 32 goals for us, was extremely inconsistent, and was considered a "one trick pony"...most people on here wanted him either lynched or sold. This is one of the greatest players of all time, at Rashford's age.

Rashford has 45 goals...this is also more than Rooney had for United at Rashford's age...the club's all time top scorer.

You don't get a complete player at 21. Raheem Sterling is three years older than Rashford. How good was Sterling three years ago?...and this is a player who City were willing to pay £50m for based on his potential.

I don't know why I'm feeling the need to point this out except that this place is full of complete toolbags. You don't sell young players who have the potential to be very important and valuable players in the future. Especially not when you have the sum total of one of them in your squad.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

You really shouldn't talk about Martial and Mbappe like there are on some close level.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Rashford is 21.

For comparative purposes, Ronaldo at Rashford's age had scored 32 goals for us, was extremely inconsistent, and was considered a "one trick pony"...most people on here wanted him either lynched or sold. This is one of the greatest players of all time, at Rashford's age.

Rashford has 45 goals...this is also more than Rooney had for United at Rashford's age...the club's all time top scorer.

You don't get a complete player at 21. Raheem Sterling is three years older than Rashford. How good was Sterling three years ago?...and this is a player who City were willing to pay £50m for based on his potential.

I don't know why I'm feeling the need to point this out except that this place is full of complete toolbags. You don't sell young players who have the potential to be very important and valuable players in the future. Especially not when you have the sum total of one of them in your squad.
:D

Very good post and agree with it completely.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Rashford is 21.

In 2014, Raheem Sterling was named the Europe's Golden Boy.

RedDevil-85

The thought of losing Rashford doesnt bother me at all.
The thought of Rashford pressuring the club to get a new contract worth 300k a week does bother me alot.
Hope we sell him if thats the case.

Schmeichel=God

I have a simple viewpoint on this. This club should:

1: Get rid of the precedent, i.e. Mr 350k a week himself jettisoned...Sanchez
2: Never again pay anyone close to that as a basic wage.
3: Move to a healthy performance based wage system; carry on signing new potential that will accept this.
4: Importantly, make a stand NOW, because the 350k virus is festering. De Gea, Rashford = Accept less or goodbye right now.

The immediate and longer term future of this club, its ethos, the type of player and mindset within, is all in the balance based on what we do now. It is all well and good stating we must keep our 'best players', but when they are threatening the atmosphere and togetherness within with their I'm bigger than the club, I'm worth an extreme amount....against the backdrop of our last 6 years!!!!then it's time to get real.

SlimDizzle075

What other club is going to pay Rashford $300k + a week for 10-15 goals? I hear Barca are interested, but he wont get the kind of cash from them he is demanding from us.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
From our squad i don't want to lose only Dave, Lindelof and Pogba. Others can go for right price. Some can go even for free

Fridge chutney

Rashford is 21.

Good and true post.

GGM20

Good and true post.
Definitely agree with Rashford being a young player with great potential, but I think at this point the problem is the type of contract he is pressing for in light of his contribution to the club right now.

That's why you can't really compare him to Sterling at his age because he was never asked to be the main source of goals at 21. Sterling had Suarez and then Aguero who would bang in the goals which allowed Liverpool and City to be patient with Sterling's development. If Sterling was expected to be the main source of goals while he was wildly inconsistent 2-3 years ago, do you really think that Pep wouldn't have moved on? This is a guy who buys keepers and defenders for 40M+ year after year until he finds someone that produces for him.

Can we really afford 3 years of patience with Rashford as our main source of goals aka 3 more years of fighting for 5th-6th place so that maybe he could develop into a top striker? And then if he does develop into a top, top striker in ~3 years, Barcelona/Madrid/Juventus/PSG will come in for him and we'll have just spent 3 years fighting for 5th-6th and developing a player for them, just to be back at the same place we are now. That's what mid-table clubs do. Don't get me wrong, I would love to keep him as a great attacking 2nd option, I just don't think he's anywhere near good enough to be our main striker week-in, week-out right now, especially if he's going to demand 300k+ a week.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Rental Sanchez has also won that award. What's your point exactly?
Didn't you ask, how good Sterling was 3 years ago. He was pretty good. I'd say even better than Rashford. His skill-set and what he'd shown at Liverpool was more than Rashford has displayed.

Comparing Sterling to Rashford was a weird one. For every Sterling success, there are more unsuccessful ones. So, there's no cocksure "we have a world class player in the next 10 years" thing. Just like Renato Sanchez.

Last edited:

WireMUFC

Rashford is going to be world class, can almost guarantee if he stays injury free there will be a lot of people on here deleting old posts of theirs.

Some absolutely clueless people on here, you dislike an academy graduate who’s 21 years old, from Manchester, who has nearly 50 goals for us already, who’s carrying the weight of united scoring goals on his shoulders. Good Job Rooney and Ronaldo had Ruud, Ole and Saha hey? Or the geniuses on here would have been screaming for them to be sold. Bottom line is 21 year olds are inconsistent, get it into your head people.

Btw the likes and upvotes on YouTube, Reddit and Twitter about Rashford being “trash” are mostly from scousers, city fans and trolls.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Didn't you ask, how good Sterling was 3 years ago. He was pretty good. I'd say even better than Rashford. His skill-set and what he'd shown at Liverpool was more than Rashford has displayed.

Comparing Sterling to Rashford was a weird one. For every Sterling success, there are more unsuccessful ones. So, there's no cocksure "we have a world class player in the next 10 years" thing. Just like Renato Sanchez.
I asked in the sense that he is clearly a far better and more complete player now than he was at Rashford's age, and yet is still at an age where he improving.

To emphasise how daft and ridiculous it is to judge a 21 year old as if they are supposed to already be at their best.

I'm not sure Sterling had shown more either. He had shown plenty of potential. He was also awful quite often and hilariously bad at finishing or playing a final pass

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I asked in the sense that he is clearly a far better and more complete player now than he was at Rashford's age, and yet is still at an age where he improving.

To emphasise how daft and ridiculous it is to judge a 21 year old as if they are supposed to already be at their best.

I'm not sure Sterling had shown more either. He had shown plenty of potential. He was also awful quite often and hilariously bad at finishing or playing a final pass
Of course. Not everyone like Messi or Rooney that could "peak" at early age.

I thought you belittle Sterling at young age, as I was actually upset when City got him (albeit we had zero chance of getting him from Livpool). I rated him really high since his LivPool days.

I agreed that Rashford has shown enough talent worth to keep, but not "at all cost" as some insinuating, though.

This. Great post.

Alek M

Da manic one
Are we forgetting how terrible the service to him was this year? He had to do a lot of solo runs because Lukaku was well, Lukaku. Pogba jogged most of the time. If we had players like Scholes and Giggs, and some good width/pace, he to open the space for him he would have been scoring lot more.