The Title Race 2013/14

CantonaVeron

The results over the last couple of games couldn't have gone any worse really. We needed Arsenal or City or both to slip up and they haven't. Still win our next two and see where we are, probably top four with two wins.

coolredwine

lameredboots
The results over the last couple of games couldn't have gone any worse really. We needed Arsenal or City or both to slip up and they haven't. Still win our next two and see where we are, probably top four with two wins.
You were expecting City to slip up against the likes of Crystal Palace? Away games is where their bane is.

Arsenal is okay. Grind-ed out a win today. Credits where its due.

CantonaVeron

You were expecting City to slip up against the likes of Crystal Palace? Away games is where their bane is.

Arsenal is okay. Grind-ed out a win today. Credits where its due.
I was hoping the bin dippers could have snatched a point, 7 points is alot to make up 5 with half a season left would have given the squad more belief and Arsenal were in badish form but have good two good wins over Christmas to take them into an easier bunch of fixtures although I don thing they will struggle a little when Europe kicks in again.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
So, at the end of the year, we are 6th, 2 points off Liverpool and 3 points off the 4th place. Considering our start and our home records, it's a reasonable position. Hopefully in another month, we'll leave Everton and Liverpool aside and concentrate on the top 3. Considering our manager change, I'd happily take 4th, but I think if we keep collecting points, anything can happen.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
"My special day with John Terry" doesn't sound like it should be broadcast on a sports channel. :nervous:

EDIT: Wrong thread.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Top 6 next two fixture in the league:
Arsenal:
Home vs Cardiff
Away vs Villa
City:
Away vs Swansea
Home vs West Ham
Chelsea:
Away vs Southampton
Away vs Hull
Everton:
Away vs Stoke
Home vs Norwich
Liverpool:
Home vs Hull
Away vs Stoke
United:
Home vs Spurs
Home vs Swansea
On paper I can see everything staying as is really with all these sides winning their next two.

pauldyson1uk

only 11 points separate the top 8 teams in the PL, that is pretty close. Still think the winners will be from Arsenal City and Chelsea, with Everton, Liverpool and United challenging each other for the 4th CL spot.
United usually play much better football in the second half of the season, 4th is our target now I think, to challenge for the PL other teams have to slip up and slip up badly but never say never

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
On paper I can see everything staying as is really with all these sides winning their next two.
If we win our two games we will gain somewhere. Bound to be a surprise result or two. Who saw Sunderland winning at Everton?

We just need to keep winning and we will climb the table.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Yeah, but we've already seen the paper doesn't really play a part this season.
I agree it sin't played on paper but I wouldn't be surprised to see it stay as it is.

If we win our two games we will gain somewhere. Bound to be a surprise result or two. Who saw Sunderland winning at Everton?

We just need to keep winning and we will climb the table.

Sad that we'll have to rely on others to leap the table but it is the nature of the beast at the moment, I think that is why I want Chelsea vs Liverpool end as a draw.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Said before these games that they wouldn't define our season. I stand by that. We need to beat them when they visit Anfield. That's a huge advantage we've got, most of the big teams have to visit Anfield (Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Everton).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
results over the last 2 went very rubbish in terms of trying to catch the top end of the league, but fairly decent in catching the teams just above

Liverpool were crowing at top of the league and 8 above us 4 days ago. Now it's a mere 2 pointer! How quick things change.

In the same way though, Tottenham is a must win, as otherwise they'll be above us, and we'll be back to square 1.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Said before these games that they wouldn't define our season. I stand by that. We need to beat them when they visit Anfield. That's a huge advantage we've got, most of the big teams have to visit Anfield (Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Everton).

I see what you did there.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Why are people assuming we will beat Soton and Hull away, our away form has been suspect and Soton are a very tough team. That game could easily be a draw/loss.

Glanville95

Top 6 next two fixture in the league:
Arsenal:
Home vs Cardiff
Away vs Villa
City:
Away vs Swansea
Home vs West Ham
Chelsea:
Away vs Southampton
Away vs Hull
Everton:
Away vs Stoke
Home vs Norwich
Liverpool:
Home vs Hull
Away vs Stoke
United:
Home vs Spurs
Home vs Swansea
Spurs:
Away vs United​
Home vs Palace​
Can't really leave Spurs out seeing as they are level on points with us.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
We will beat Arsenal and Liverpool in the return matches. City and Chelsea look like draws to me.

You think you will win at the Emirates?

I think you could well get a spanking from us, and draw the City game.

Glanville95

You've barely beat any Premier League side convincingly this season. You could certainly beat us and will be favourites, but I am not fretting over a spanking at all.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.

We have more grit than Arsenal. They will be scared of us.You lot are strong at home....but you wont have the balls to go all out against us because Jose knows we can hurt you. The City match will be the hardest. They have quality all over. They wont beat us. But we will need a little luck to beat them.

EDIT: :lol: spanking....

dream away Rob.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button

Yes, because Chelsea have a history of spanking Man Utd... oh wait

Who will score the goals in this apparent spanking that could happen? Considering your team have strikers that have about 1 goal between them.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Might have got a better picture of us today, since you could watch us in a home game vs a top side, being more expressive. At the end of the season how important will those dull, terrible games away to Arsenal and United be considering we didnt lose them. Still 2 off the top and another tough game out of the way.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Yes, because Chelsea have a history of spanking Man Utd... oh wait

Who will score the goals in this apparent spanking that could happen? Considering your team have strikers that have about 1 goal between them.

Yes , actually we do. One of the few clubs in the PL era that can match United in head to heads!

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Yes, they have a good record but record of spanking us... last time was a 5-0 in 2000 wasn't it? Usually close games between us.
well spanking I really mean just beating consistently, we also beat you 3-0 in 2006. 2012 should have been a smashing until we decided to give away a 3 goal lead :(

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Yes , actually we do. One of the few clubs in the PL era that can match United in head to heads!

I think he means in terms of beating us emphatically and in that case he has a point, the last time Chelsea put United to the sword was 2006 at the Bridge. You're the only Premier League side that has beaten us more time than we've beaten you.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
well spanking I really mean just beating consistently, we also beat you 3-0 in 2006. 2012 should have been a smashing until we decided to give away a 3 goal lead :(
Yeah, our record at the bridge is pretty terrible. Not looking forward to the game.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly

Just saw this in the Storeytime thread and thought it was quite relevant to this.
Crazy how City have to face everyone bar Chelsea away. No wonder they've been having such a fun time.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea

Just saw this in the Storeytime thread and thought it was quite relevant to this.
Crazy how City have to face everyone bar Chelsea away. No wonder they've been having such a fun time.

Doesnt quite show the whole picture though as there are other away games which are just as tough which arent there.

Stoke, Newcastle, Southampton, WBA, are all not easy grounds to go to.