The Tottenham Hotspur 2020/21 thread

paulscholes18

Guess Hart rather be 3rd choice keeper at a half decent club rather than first choice at a lesser team

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Guess Hart rather be 3rd choice keeper at a half decent club rather than first choice at a lesser team
Hart is only 33, as a goalie he's got a few years left if he wants them.

Gotta be hard to motivate yourself though when you are a millionaire, have won loads, are not getting offers to play at a decent level.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm optimistic for next season - there were some very promising signs since lockdown that Jose had started to implement a system that was working. We became much more difficult to score against and once Kane got back to fitness we were scoring goals. I like that Jose wants us to be a counter attacking team because I think that works for us. I'm hoping we address the right back situation this window and get a proper back-up for Kane also (preferably somebody who can come in and play up front WITH him). If we do that then I'm confident we will get top 4 and would be hopeful we will be in for a shot at winning a trophy.

Woodzy

They were showing some improvement towards the end of the season but you just feel that they are one bad game away from imploding.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Started to look very ugly before lockdown when they got outplayed by Leipzig and got injuries on Son, Kane ane Moura. But Covid came at the right time and they looked okay post covid.

It will be fun to follow them next season. I think there will be some Mourinho meltdowns for sure:D Always feel that they’re one bad injury on Kane/Son from absolute disaster.

EwanI Ted

You never know in football, but I dont see any signs that make me think things are on the up for Spurs. Indeed Jose's time at Spurs was reminiscent of most of his time with us - poor football, uninspired looking teams, grinding out points against teams you shouldn't need to grind out points against, but then unexpectedly coming up with an occasional decent performance against bigger teams that just about keep the fans onside.

In the end, the flaws that caused him to fail at United all look to still be there, except he has a lot less money to spend. Hard not to think it will just end in the same way.

Last edited:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Too much holes to cover in just one window: a solid CB, a solid RB, a reliable CMDef that can both defend and distribute, 1 more creative option for the wings and a back-up to Kane that will score at least 10+ goals.
If Aurier remains their main RB and they don't hire a CB and lack distribution from the back, it's a recipe for disaster.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Mourinho has them moving in the right direction and is good at clubs like Spurs where there are decent resources but not a major expectation to win with panache.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Too much holes to cover in just one window: a solid CB, a solid RB, a reliable CMDef that can both defend and distribute, 1 more creative option for the wings and a back-up to Kane that will score at least 10+ goals.
If Aurier remains their main RB and they don't hire a CB and lack distribution from the back, it's a recipe for disaster.
We need a right back - 2 if we manage to sell Aurier (hoping we do) - we already have signed CMDef - if we sell Lamela then I can see us going to a young attacking player - looks very likely we will finally sign a decent striker as backup for (or playing up front with) Kane. I don't think we need a CB as we still have Toby there with Dier, Sanchez, Tanganga and possibly Foyth (though I suspect he will either be loaned or sold). I don't think we are far away - we have a strong spine of the team Lloris, Toby, Hojbjerg/Lo Celso, Son, Kane.

The key for me is what we do with N'dombele - do we sell him and replace him this window or do we hope that he sorts himself out and starts fighting for his place. That is the big unknown at the moment - if it was me I'd get rid. The current rumour going about is that we sell N'dombele and try to get Sabitzer in as a replacement, I'd be very happy with that.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
We need a right back - 2 if we manage to sell Aurier (hoping we do) - we already have signed CMDef - if we sell Lamela then I can see us going to a young attacking player - looks very likely we will finally sign a decent striker as backup for (or playing up front with) Kane. I don't think we need a CB as we still have Toby there with Dier, Sanchez, Tanganga and possibly Foyth (though I suspect he will either be loaned or sold). I don't think we are far away - we have a strong spine of the team Lloris, Toby, Hojbjerg/Lo Celso, Son, Kane.

The key for me is what we do with N'dombele - do we sell him and replace him this window or do we hope that he sorts himself out and starts fighting for his place. That is the big unknown at the moment - if it was me I'd get rid. The current rumour going about is that we sell N'dombele and try to get Sabitzer in as a replacement, I'd be very happy with that.
Forgot about hojberg: I actually rate him high and I think people will be positively surprised: he's not a world class beater but he does his job well and has some nice corner kick taking skills on his pocket. A very disciplined player with a nice touch of bravado.

Selling NDombele sounds an easy task due to his reputation still be up in the market, but it will depend on him to lower his wages a bit if he moves outside EPL.
Doubt about Sabitzer: Leipzig players value are sky rocket right now, it's easy for them to speculate their players value. I would stay away from them in this market window.

About the CB: if Dier agrees to stay in that position, problem solved I guess. He was deployed there at Sporting, shouldn't be that uncomfortable for him. I actually rate Tanganga: aggressive and never gives up.

I still think you need a more creative and goals source to compete for top 4. Unless Ali becomes to his former self again.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Forgot about hojberg: I actually rate him high and I think people will be positively surprised: he's not a world class beater but he does his job well and has some nice corner kick taking skills on his pocket. A very disciplined player with a nice touch of bravado.

Selling NDombele sounds an easy task due to his reputation still be up in the market, but it will depend on him to lower his wages a bit if he moves outside EPL.
Doubt about Sabitzer: Leipzig players value are sky rocket right now, it's easy for them to speculate their players value. I would stay away from them in this market window.

About the CB: if Dier agrees to stay in that position, problem solved I guess. He was deployed there at Sporting, shouldn't be that uncomfortable for him. I actually rate Tanganga: aggressive and never gives up.

I still think you need a more creative and goals source to compete for top 4. Unless Ali becomes to his former self again.
Dier has said that he now is a central defender and will remain one for the rest of his career - which is good because I think he is much better in defense than in midfield. I also really like Tanganga, he has all the attributes of a top class defender and I really hope he continues to develop, recently signed a new contract which is great news.

I agree about Dele - there is a fantastic asset in there somewhere but we haven't yet managed to get the best out of him - I think Jose will change our tactics to more of a 4-4-2 and will try Dele as second striker (with a new striker in rotation also - possibly Callum Wilson if rumours are to be believed)

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Hopefully Hart plays plenty of matches for them this coming season.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I expect the real Mourinho to show up this year. The fire in his belly, players running through brick walls, world against me so let's give 'em hell type of Mourinho. Everyone else will have to rise to the challenge.

Or they'll finish 7th.

el3mel

I think they will do fine and definitely improve, but they will finish 4th or 5th at best at the end as there are other better teams around. Liverpool and City will always finish top 2 and then you have Chelsea, United, Spurs and maybe Arsenal will improve too. Finishing 4th is going to be hard.

Mourinho's target should be to win Europe League. He needs to win any trophy there to be considered a success. Finish 5th for example and win El and it would be a successful season for them.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Can see them finishing 7th or 8th.

They won 4 away games last season. That's back to Martin Jol/Ramos level when they went months without winning an away game.

Defence still isn't great, FBs average, midfield lacks athleticism etc. Good in final third if they all stay fit but you can say same about Arsenal and Wolves.

I get the feeling Mourinho is going to gamble everything on winning the europa league and get CL that way so interesting if he can do a repeat of 16/17.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Dier has said that he now is a central defender and will remain one for the rest of his career - which is good because I think he is much better in defense than in midfield. I also really like Tanganga, he has all the attributes of a top class defender and I really hope he continues to develop, recently signed a new contract which is great news.

I agree about Dele - there is a fantastic asset in there somewhere but we haven't yet managed to get the best out of him - I think Jose will change our tactics to more of a 4-4-2 and will try Dele as second striker (with a new striker in rotation also - possibly Callum Wilson if rumours are to be believed)
Dier-Sanchez combination in that Sheffield United away game was one of the worst defensive performances from a top level team I've seen this season (just needed David Luiz in to complete the set). You surely can't be happy at Sheffield united strikers just being unmarked in 6 yard box and tapping in as two of the goals were.

Think your best bet is just hope Toby gets back to level of 2-3 years ago as he's not that old and find an experienced old head from somewhere as I don't rate Sanchez as a top level CB either.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Dier-Sanchez combination in that Sheffield United away game was one of the worst defensive performances from a top level team I've seen this season (just needed David Luiz in to complete the set). You surely can't be happy at Sheffield united strikers just being unmarked in 6 yard box and tapping in as two of the goals were.

Think your best bet is just hope Toby gets back to level of 2-3 years ago as he's not that old and find an experienced old head from somewhere as I don't rate Sanchez as a top level CB either.
Toby is our best defender and without him we do struggle as he is a leader back there. Dier is a decent defender and I rate Sanchez. Neither are really top class though but I think we do have enough at the back to not worry about it (apart from right back which needs sorted ASAP). The main problem for us recently has been the lack of a proper defensive midfielder to protect the defense more - now we have that so I hope that will greatly help solidify our defensive shape. They will make the odd individual mistake but I'm confident that defense should not be a big problem for us going forward due to the system Jose will implement. We will need a Toby replacement next year though and I expect us to bring in somebody probably next summer (unless an opportunity for somebody becomes available before then)

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Jose typically has a great second season, but the challenges he will face at Spurs will be bigger than all of the top club he has been to before. Last season was a mix of good and bad, and I see that continuing this upcoming season. Pochettino took Spurs to places they can only dream of and I don’t see Mourinho emulating that, unless they win a meaningless trophy that has less value than the Audi Cup. I believe that will be the height of their success next season.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I always thought a good window for them would have been Hojbjerg and Aarons. Well they have 50% of that equation.

But yes I agree with the sentiment they need more than one window to fix their problems, much like Arsenal. Dier moved to CB to cover Vertonghen's exit Im assuming, Aurier at RB I do not rate, backup striker for Kane is required or Spurs will just run him into the ground again every game until he is injured. And with Kane's injury they will slide down the table. Don't think Lamela will survive either, perfect for that aggressive press from the front Pochettino style. Bit of a mismatch with the Jose sit back and counter with pace style.

They needed a DM which they now have, Hojbjerg is serviceable, I dont rate him as much as Ndidi as a DM but he fits a piece of the jigsaw Jose likes to have in midfield. Jury is well and truly still out on Ndombele, I mean, he needs to actually not be injured and get on the pitch first. Could end up Adel Taraabt v2.0. Whatever happened to Sessegnon? thought he was brought in as a backup to Davies? Lo Celso does look good from what I have seen, not Bruno good, but definitely a player in there. Havnt seen enough of Bergwyn to know, seems rapid, which on the counter, will give anyone trouble.

Supports
England
As a Spurs-leaning club neutral, I'm bearish on the club's future, both this season and looking further forward. Despite the post-restart period being a significant improvement and statistical success, you don't win (reliably) trophies by allowing second-tier teams to have 70% of the possession (you end up getting smashed by top-tier teams who push for 80% and don't waste it). But I don't think the squad is good enough to consistently go toe-to-toe with other top-tier teams in actual football matches. And I don't see how the personnel deficiencies can be sorted inside this one atypical window.

I think that over a full season, Kane will get frustrated with never being allowed to finish hat-tricks in the last 30-45 minutes of games (due, of course, to the defensive, pragmatic instructions). And I think that the lack of silverware at the end of the frustration will be the final nail in the coffin for his enthusiasm at Spurs.

Possibly other top players, who will know they could be doing better for themselves, will also be displeased by some combination of the style of football and its lack of payoff. Either Spurs hold on to Kane and other such players despite their waning motivation (thus presumably effectiveness) or they cash in, after which I can't see them adequately plugging the holes (especially if left by players like Kane or Son). Thereafter, the club would need ridiculous luck - like stumbling across the next Kane (to make up for the enormous difference between Kane and the best striker Spurs could get in the transfer market) while also hitting the jackpot with every other one of their replacements, who all hit the PL running - to avoid multiple (maybe even many) years of midtable mediocrity.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Spurs have gone from having a top class player in almost every position to having two top class forwards backed by a revolving cast of decidedly average players. If Dele can recover his form, one or both of Lo Celso and N'Dombele reach a higher level than they have so far, and Alderweireld can win his fight against Father Time, then maybe I can see a top four challenge. But a lot has to go right for them. Its just not the same team that was a legitimate top side a few years ago, even if many of the names are the same.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It's a really big season for Dele Alli certainly.

Feels like the last time he strung 4-5 top class performances together in short timeframe was end of 2017 and those Real Madrid games. Been a big struggle since and no guarentee he'll even make the euros squad.

If Spurs had better fullbacks the diamond formation would make sense for them but guess they'll just stick with the 4--3-3 and he'll probably be put in the 3 upfront for the tougher games.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Never quite rated Aurier but I think he's been brilliant for Mourinho. Just very good at both ends of the pitch. Harry Kane fit, maybe an uninterrupted Son season. It's really about Mourinho here like so often. If he's got a group of players that listen to him and like what he does he'll take them far for at least a little while. Their back 4 leaves something to be desired but I think the tactics will make up for that. Top 4 will be harder next season for sure.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I imagine they'll be interested in Semedo.
Hope not as I personally don't rate him.

The strongest RB links have been with Max Aarons, Timothy Castagne, and Zeki Celik.

Only CB link has been Kim Min-Jae. Also Skriniar but only as a swap option with Ndombele which I can't see happening.

A handful of backup striker links with Callum Wilson looking like the most likely.

Then it appears we might be interested in a right winger who can also play inside so Marcel Sabitzer and David Brooks have been linked.

Overall I'm confident Aurier will probably be off to AC Milan and we'll bring in at least one RB. I think it's most likely that 1 or 2 of the 3 RBs I listed will come in, but I've also heard links to Matt Doherty who would be my preferred option especially if we can get two in. Also confident in a backup striker. Beyond that it will likely be down to what sales we can do and who else can be offloaded. Can't see us raising the funds for Brooks or Sabitzer.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Not too afraid of them at all. Although they have attackers who can hurt and help Mourinho to finish top 4 but their midfield is still average imo. Their defense is problem too but Mourinho can make average defenders to look like top class anyway. I think they will end up winning at least a trophy like the cup trophy this season.

Hopefully they don't get new quality right back. The way how Jose used Aurier was like he wants him to be Maicon. Has the stamina to be Maicon but defensively too clumsy & crossings are so meh. Feels like watching 10 attempt crosses and only 1 hit the target.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
I think Spurs are in big trouble they had to borrow money from the Bank of England just for working capital purposes. There won’t be much of a transfer budget and the stadium loan needs to be financed without crowds possibly for the entire season. Take CL revenues out of the equation and there is a big financial hole to fill. Poch did a great job working and improving the players they had without being able to spend money I don’t see Mourinho being able to do the same.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Spurs are really in a similar position to where Arsenal were circa 2016-2017 and seem bent on making the same kind of mistakes: They missed their shot, the team is in decline, and they really should be trying to aggressively sell players reaching the end of their prime years and using those funds to lay the foundations for a rebuild. But the management and support can't come to terms with that idea, so instead they're hanging on to players too long, letting some guys run down contracts and other guys just decline in value, all in the misguided hope that they can regain their past level for one more year. Meanwhile, they really don't have much in the way of elite young talent to build the next team around, especially if N'Dombele ends up leaving.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Never quite rated Aurier but I think he's been brilliant for Mourinho. Just very good at both ends of the pitch. Harry Kane fit, maybe an uninterrupted Son season. It's really about Mourinho here like so often. If he's got a group of players that listen to him and like what he does he'll take them far for at least a little while. Their back 4 leaves something to be desired but I think the tactics will make up for that. Top 4 will be harder next season for sure.
Trolling? While I agree that his attacking input has been top notch in numbers under Mourinho, he costed them so many points you can't really say something like that.

Snow

Are you really serious? Have you not seen Spurs games last season? As I said, his attacking and athletic input is great, but he's an accident waiting for happen.
Yes I did and I thought that he played a lot better under Mourinho than previous managers. We can differ on how we rate him as a player but you claimed he cost them points which is not subjective. Do you have anything to back that up? Statistically he was one of their best players last season and one of their few players who were consistent.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Can see them finishing 7th or 8th.

They won 4 away games last season. That's back to Martin Jol/Ramos level when they went months without winning an away game.
That's infinity more than we won under the last 9 months of Pochettino.

Under Jose (e.g. since he took over) I think we were comfortable in the 'top 4' point scorers, and that was without Lloris and Kane for a huge part of it, plus other injuries, and a long term hangover of maybe 18 months of bad team cohesion, so I'm not so sure.

The advantage Jose has is that most (if not all) the players will be looking at him with lustful respect. We don't have the 'elite' arrogance of Chelsea/Utd/Madrid, so you'd hope that it means that we're far less likely to have some sort of squad revolt.
The noises coming out of the club are that Jose is a lot more professional and realistic with his demands than the like of AVB/Poch were, so that is a good sign if true.

tomaldinho1

I think they'll be good next season. The fans will hate watching them but I can see Mou getting them really well organised and he won;t have the same pressure as at Real or United to play a certain way.

It's shaping up to be a really interesting season with Arsenal also looking much better under Arteta. Hopefully be really tight

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Yes I did and I thought that he played a lot better under Mourinho than previous managers. We can differ on how we rate him as a player but you claimed he cost them points which is not subjective. Do you have anything to back that up? Statistically he was one of their best players last season and one of their few players who were consistent.
OK, I've seen some of the extended highlights and in fact despite having several brain farts, most of them didn't lead to an opponent goal, so clearly I was having a biased opinion. Eating the humble pie :D

Snow

OK, I've seen some of the extended highlights and in fact despite having several brain farts, most of them didn't lead to an opponent goal, so clearly I was having a biased opinion. Eating the humble pie :D
Fair enough. What I've seen from him under Mourinho is what people hope Bailly could be. Maybe Aurier just needed that trust or something, playing every game instead of being rotated with Trippier. Football is such a mental game that if you're able to enable your players you'll get more out of them and minimize their mistakes.