The Tottenham Hotspur 2020/21 thread

el3mel

I watched several scenes of their documentary recently and honestly found it to pretty fun watch, even though some scenes looked pretty scripted. Always wanted to see how managers talk in dressing room at half time, the reaction in it after a loss and the next day after game analyzing the mistakes done in it. Beside, love or hate him, Mourinho is really fun to listen to when he talks about football and players. I will definitely prefer listening to him than many other managers.

The conversation between Levy and Eriksen before he left was interesting as well. Would have liked to see an Ed Woodward version of it to be honest.

Kinda shame a documentary with Mourinho in charge came only at the later end of his career and not his prime. Would have paid anything to listen to some of his half time talking during Chelsea first stint, Inter or even Real Madrid.

I watched several scenes of their documentary recently and honestly found it to pretty fun watch, even though some scenes looked pretty scripted. Always wanted to see how managers talk in dressing room at half time, the reaction in it after a loss and the next day after game analyzing the mistakes done in it. Beside, love or hate him, Mourinho is really fun to listen to when he talks about football and players. I will definitely prefer listening to him than many other managers.

The conversation between Levy and Eriksen before he left was interesting as well. Would have liked to see an Ed Woodward version of it to be honest.

Kinda shame a documentary with Mourinho in charge came only at the later end of his career and not his prime. Would have paid anything to listen to some of his half time talking during Chelsea first stint, Inter or even Real Madrid.
Or when he is in full meltdown mode. His last season at any club would be brilliant to watch (unless he’s managing your team at the time).

el3mel

Or when he is in full meltdown mode. His last season at any club would be brilliant to watch (unless he’s managing your team at the time).
Well there was that argument between Rose and Mourinho when Rose lost his shite and told him at the end he's going to talk to Levy. :lol:

ti vu

4 assist for Kane :eek:

A healthy Bale with Kane assisting like this can be a scary duo.

Supports
England
Feck that selfish Kane whose only contribution to Spurs is scoring tap-ins and penalties.

(On a serious note, incredible game from him. Unlucky not to have a solid hat trick of his own to go with four excellent assists. He's always had the potential and even the occasional opportunity to have a game like that - he's had a hat-trick of assists with England before - and I'm glad he finally did. It shows a lot about him as an all-round player.)

Last edited:

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs

Ndombele has so much ability, if Jose can just get him to a point where he's not a total liability out of possession then Spurs will have an incredible talent in midfield.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Ndombele has so much ability, if Jose can just get him to a point where he's not a total liability out of possession then Spurs will have an incredible talent in midfield.
He looks a bit clumsy on that compilation, though. Very raw indeed.

Supports
England
He looks a bit clumsy on that compilation, though. Very raw indeed.
I'm indifferent towards Ndombele but in his defence, Kane became one of the best forwards in the world while looking awkward and a bit clumsy even to this day. People are too quick to negatively assess players that don't have that flashy ballerina-esque grace, which correlates with being a good player but is far from a precondition.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Rumours we are interested in either Ruben Dias or Milan Skriniar for central defence and possibly Milik as striker. Would be an incredible window if we manage it.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Rumours we are interested in either Ruben Dias or Milan Skriniar for central defence and possibly Milik as striker. Would be an incredible window if we manage it.
Would be quite a jump in terms of transfer fees compared to the previously linked players. Hasn't Skriniar fallen down the pecking order at Inter ? Could be a good catch.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Makes much more sense to invest in the midfield. The CBs while not terrific, they are capable of assembling a good defense.

Supports
England
Best in the league for me and probably one of the best in all of Europe. The only question mark is fitness.
Agree. If Bale gets back to his (realistically more recent 30-something) best, Kane >>> Firmino, Bale > Salah, Son ~= Mane (though obviously their roles are all different and so are their skillsets). It's difficult to compare them directly man-for-man, but I'd take the Spurs trio every time in a hypothetical situation where they're all match fit and guaranteed to stay that way.

In reality, a lot depends on Bale: how much of his form he can recover and how much time he can spend on the pitch. Kane and Son are as good as or better than any pairing of attacking players in the PL, but of course it's not a trio without Bale.

On the Kane and Son thing, it was interesting to.read that they're objectively the most effective duo in recent PL history, with the most goals of any assister-scorer combination (counting bilaterally: either player assisting to the other scoring). Three of the top five places overall were occupied by Kane in combination with other Spurs players (specifically, Son, Eriksen and Alli).

Because of the complex nature of assists as a statistic, you can infer all kinds of things from this, but combining it with having seen every Spurs match in the last six years, I read it as Kane being very easy and beneficial to play with, such that you end up with stats that fairly reflect your ability. Indeed, Son consistently gets more assists than his xA would predict, in large part due to Kane's finishing.

A more classical or effective replication of the big man/little man duo can't be found in the modern PL.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Makes much more sense to invest in the midfield. The CBs while not terrific, they are capable of assembling a good defense.
The problem is they already have so many average midfielders. None of which I am confident in as a two in midfield, Winks and Hojbjerg are not a progressive enough combination, dropping either of them for Ndombele is problematic as his work rate off the ball is terrible. Lo Celso still young but does look good, Skipp, Fernandes, again too young, should probably be out on loan. Sissoko, great in some aspects, but poor anywhere near the opposition box.

The only thing for it is probably switching to a three in midfield and drop an attacker(Alli). And running a midfield two that are more defensive such as Hojbjerg and Winks as well as a more progressive player such as Lo Celso or Ndombele. Then your attack will be Son, Kane, Bale. Where that leaves Bergwyjn, Moura, Lamela, Alli, im not sure? Im guessing one or more of those four will be sold.

Supports
England
The problem is they already have so many average midfielders. None of which I am confident in as a two in midfield, Winks and Hojbjerg are not a progressive enough combination, dropping either of them for Ndombele is problematic as his work rate off the ball is terrible. Lo Celso still young but does look good, Skipp, Fernandes, again too young, should probably be out on loan. Sissoko, great in some aspects, but poor anywhere near the opposition box.

The only thing for it is probably switching to a three in midfield and drop an attacker(Alli). And running a midfield two that are more defensive such as Hojbjerg and Winks as well as a more progressive player such as Lo Celso or Ndombele. Then your attack will be Son, Kane, Bale. Where that leaves Bergwyjn, Moura, Lamela, Alli, im not sure? Im guessing one or more of those four will be sold.
I'm not a supporter but I speak to so many Spurs fans that I feel very confident summarising the general mood and getting it right. Most of the players you mentioned as rivals to Bale are really near-future outgoings in most fans' minds, so there's not as much of a dilemma there as you might think.

Most Spurs fans have turned on Alli quite dramatically, from wanting to give him time when Jose first arrived to wanting him gone now. Which is not to say they're wrong: I don't think they are. I think he's one of an increasingly large number of players who just can't maintain the motivation needed to stay at the top of the sport after becoming a multimillionaire at 21. For a long time, he's seemed more interested in starting a fashion house than a football dynasty.

On Moura, I think most fans have now accepted what I've been saying for a long time: he's not actually Spurs quality. He's been streaky since he arrived and even his best is nowhere near the level of Kane or Son. He's barely scored in 2020 and the credit he banked after that CL semifinal is, at long last, running out. If it hadn't been for that hat-trick, he would've appeared on most people's sell lists ages ago. At this point, a vast majority of their fans would sacrifice him for Bale if necessary.

Lamela would be the one that probably still a full majority of fans would be sad to see go. But I don't think anyone is desperate for him to stay, certainly not to the extent of having him as a permanent XI fixture. People would reluctantly but very decidedly sack him off for Bale.

Bergwijn is obviously still new and exciting to most. Too promising to get rid of, and it would be ridiculous business to do so anyway. But there's still a place for him with probably multiple of his main rivals gone.

I don't know when the club itself plans to pull the trigger on these guys but there's good reasons the fans feel the way they do about them.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm not a supporter but I speak to so many Spurs fans that I feel very confident summarising the general mood and getting it right. Most of the players you mentioned as rivals to Bale are really near-future outgoings in most fans' minds, so there's not as much of a dilemma there as you might think.

Most Spurs fans have turned on Alli quite dramatically, from wanting to give him time when Jose first arrived to wanting him gone now. Which is not to say they're wrong: I don't think they are. I think he's one of an increasingly large number of players who just can't maintain the motivation needed to stay at the top of the sport after becoming a multimillionaire at 21. For a long time, he's seemed more interested in starting a fashion house than a football dynasty.

On Moura, I think most fans have now accepted what I've been saying for a long time: he's not actually Spurs quality. He's been streaky since he arrived and even his best is nowhere near the level of Kane or Son. He's barely scored in 2020 and the credit he banked after that CL semifinal is, at long last, running out. If it hadn't been for that hat-trick, he would've appeared on most people's sell lists ages ago. At this point, a vast majority of their fans would sacrifice him for Bale if necessary.

Lamela would be the one that probably still a full majority of fans would be sad to see go. But I don't think anyone is desperate for him to stay, certainly not to the extent of having him as a permanent XI fixture. People would reluctantly but very decidedly sack him off for Bale.

Bergwijn is obviously still new and exciting to most. Too promising to get rid of, and it would be ridiculous business to do so anyway. But there's still a place for him with probably multiple of his main rivals gone.

I don't know when the club itself plans to pull the trigger on these guys but there's good reasons the fans feel the way they do about them.
Foyth, Rose and Aurier likely to leave. I hope Foyth is just a loan though as i think he is a talent.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

After your detailed assessment they have no otheir choice than to sell/loan a couple of players and bring an energetic one. I think it doesn't need to be a world class deep passer, but someone to lend energy and agressivity to that soft midfield.

Anyway, Skrinniar seems to be an almost done deal by 50M€, so I guess Dier is back in the middle, boys!

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Foyth, Rose and Aurier likely to leave. I hope Foyth is just a loan though as i think he is a talent.
Whats the consensus amongst Spurs fans on the midfield? Happy with what you have now? Or more investment needed and ship out some of the dross?

I think Winks - Hojbjerg is a hard working defensive partnership, but lacks invention and progressive play. Might be a good pair away from home against the top teams who will have the lions share of possession. As both players harass and press and can screen the CB's.

Ndombele when I have seen him has not been fit so hard to judge, he looks great from a progressive play point, great on the ball, eye for a pass. His off the ball play looked woeful however, poor marking, not strong enough in the challenge, just jogging around when in transition, rather than busting his ass to get back and defend.

Lo Celso out of all Spurs midfielders looks the most promising, he was your best player leading up to the break last season.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Whats the consensus amongst Spurs fans on the midfield? Happy with what you have now? Or more investment needed and ship out some of the dross?

I think Winks - Hojbjerg is a hard working defensive partnership, but lacks invention and progressive play. Might be a good pair away from home against the top teams who will have the lions share of possession. As both players harass and press and can screen the CB's.

Ndombele when I have seen him has not been fit so hard to judge, he looks great from a progressive play point, great on the ball, eye for a pass. His off the ball play looked woeful however, poor marking, not strong enough in the challenge, just jogging around when in transition, rather than busting his ass to get back and defend.

Lo Celso out of all Spurs midfielders looks the most promising, he was your best player leading up to the break last season.
Ideally we need another creative midfielder - not sure if we will see that this window though with the amount of signings we have already made. If N'dombele can get fit and playing regularly then possibly he might be able to be that guy. Lo Celso is a really good player, reminds me a little of Modric - obviously not as good as Modric but he is young and has a huge amount of potential.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Mourinho noticed something off about the goals before the game, pointed it out to UEFA officials and turned out he was right. They were 5cm too small. They were changed ahead of the match.

Wonder if other teams have tried to cheat this way.

RashyForPM

Mourinho noticed something off about the goals before the game, pointed it out to UEFA officials and turned out he was right. They were 5cm too small. They were changed ahead of the match.

I don’t think they cheated tbf to KF Shenanigans. It’s not their home ground, the place they played at last night.

NoPace

In theory a Spurs team of:

Son-----Kane----Bale (Bergwijn, Lucas)
LoCelso-Ndombele (Alli)
----------Winks------------- (Hojbjerg)
Reguilon---------Doherty (Davies, Aurier)
--Alderweild-Skriniar-- (Sanchez)
---------Lloris----------------

could be a really strong side if they just appointed a 4-3-3 coach who uses the fullbacks going forward aggressively and outscores teams, but the midfield is a massive question mark and so are the fullbacks defensively, and Lloris and Alderweild are probably already on the decline. Milik would help, but it feels like most of all they need a midfield general and a new manager.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Mourinho probably taught them that trick hence why he knew :lol:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

It wasn't at the teams home ground so doubt it was then cheating, more just a case of poorly managed facilities.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
In theory a Spurs team of:

Son-----Kane----Bale (Bergwijn, Lucas)
LoCelso-Ndombele (Alli)
----------Winks------------- (Hojbjerg)
Reguilon---------Doherty (Davies, Aurier)
--Alderweild-Skriniar-- (Sanchez)
---------Lloris----------------

could be a really strong side if they just appointed a 4-3-3 coach who uses the fullbacks going forward aggressively and outscores teams, but the midfield is a massive question mark and so are the fullbacks defensively, and Lloris and Alderweild are probably already on the decline. Milik would help, but it feels like most of all they need a midfield general and a new manager.
:lol: need a new manager? Jose is doing a great job here so far.

I agree that we are building a very strong team. Midfield is the one area we can improve as you say (assuming we get Skriniar and a striker in). Its been an incredible window for us so far.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
:lol: need a new manager? Jose is doing a great job here so far.

I agree that we are building a very strong team. Midfield is the one area we can improve as you say (assuming we get Skriniar and a striker in). Its been an incredible window for us so far.
Where's all the money coming from? Pochettino, wanted more funds, forced to make a team with minimal investment and academy players, had a whole xfer window with no players.

Jose comes in and Spurs throw the feckin kitchen sink at his targets.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Where's all the money coming from? Pochettino, wanted more funds, forced to make a team with minimal investment and academy players, had a whole xfer window with no players.

Jose comes in and Spurs throw the feckin kitchen sink at his targets.
Stadium finished and the loans refinanced, Poch got the Transfer record broken twice for him in his last window.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
They sacked a load of staff.

Any success they now have is built on the P45s of unemployed tea-ladies and cleaners.
You know that was Arsenal, not Tottenham right?

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Lovely, more reinforced myths. Which academy players would that be? We've probably used less than any other PL club in that time. Also, Liverpool had less investment than Pochettino in that time.