The Tottenham Hotspur 2020/21 thread

ti vu

We'll have to see what stage Bale is in. Sure he'll have some good games but hard to be him being the force of old although he probably won't have to be as Spurs certainly didn't have the quality of Kane and Son last time he was at the club upfront.

Spurs will be in the mix for sure but yeah have to see who drops in after xmas, Inter Milan and Sevilla did and made the final.
Give him good support, I don't see he would have turned Bebe. He has been still doing well for Wales. Bale ain't exactly expected to carrying Spurs now as he used to do, or Kane the past few seasons. It's about squad managing which Spurs after this window having great depth.

Supports
England
One minute Jose is a defensive shit house of a manager, the next he scores 7 and Spurs fans are concerned of our defence? Most Spurs fans I know, in person and online are not concerned in the slightest about our defence. :houllier:

I have watched the whole match and I defeintely have not said, "OMG we have been carved open time and time again"
Jose, the defensive expert, went so far as to call it a bad performance after a 7-2 win. A bizarre mind game on Spurs TV is an unlikely explanation, partly because it would just seem like a silly thing to say if there wasn't any obvious truth in it. I'd say he's on my side of this one.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Jose, the defensive expert, went so far as to call it a bad performance after a 7-2 win. A bizarre mind game on Spurs TV is an unlikely explanation, partly because it would just seem like a silly thing to say if there wasn't any obvious truth in it. I'd say he's on my side of this one.
If you think Jose thought 7-2 was a bad result I dunno what to say, Jose isn't a carrot manager, hes keeping feet on the ground for the next game against United that he will want desperately to win. Its Jose doing what Jose does.

el3mel

They're actually having a pretty good start for the season. Everton match seems to be the anomaly, and they still have Bale coming.

They should have a good season. Mourinho has been doing a decent job there, imo.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
They're actually having a pretty good start for the season. Everton match seems to be the anomaly, and they still have Bale coming.

They should have a good season. Mourinho has been doing a decent job there, imo.
The one thing I took from the amazon doc was Jose wants every possible chance taken to score, seems pretty obvious mind you, but in the Everton game we had 2-3 good chances to score early on and of course we failed. I can totally understabnd United fans hate for Jose but I do still think he has it. I think he as handled Ndombele, GLC, and Dele well, under Poch there were tfar too many free rides given to players.

el3mel

The one thing I took from the amazon doc was Jose wants every possible chance taken to score, seems pretty obvious mind you, but in the Everton game we had 2-3 good chances to score early on and of course we failed. I can totally understabnd United fans hate for Jose but I do still think he has it. I think he as handled Ndombele, GLC, and Dele well, under Poch there were tfar too many free rides given to players.
I'm one of the very rare ones here who don't hate him. Regardless of what happens in the rest of his career he's really one of my all time most favorite managers ever, second to only Fergie for me, not because of his football but because of his antics, character and behavior. He's a prick, but he's a pretty damn funny prick. Funnier than most generic stuff we see in football. Of course, he's past his prime days. His best days as a manager were Chelsea first stint and Inter. That's peak Mourinho. Now he can still do a job, but to a lesser extent than what he's used to. He did a pretty decent job with us in his first 2 seasons, but less than the expectations. He has been doing a decent job with Spurs so far too.

His 3rd season syndrome unfortunately seems to have stuck with him ever since Real Madrid collapse. Not sure why. Before Madrid, he was known to have players run through walls for him any day every day. Him falling with players seems to all started with his conflict with Iker at Madrid, then it followed him to Chelsea and United. I hope he has learnt a lesson and try not to do it again.

Irwin99

Saw their line up and bench for tonight and I think that's actually a pretty good squad there. Providing there are no meltdowns (a big ask with Jose) or massive injury problems then I don't see why they can't have a good season. Like for us top 4 and a decent cup run/win should be the aim.

I'm one of the very rare ones here who don't hate him. Regardless of what happens in the rest of his career he's really one of my all time most favorite managers ever, second to only Fergie for me, not because of his football but because of his antics, character and behavior. He's a prick, but he's a pretty damn funny prick. Funnier than most generic stuff we see in football. Of course, he's past his prime days. His best days as a manager were Chelsea first stint and Inter. That's peak Mourinho. Now he can still do a job, but to a lesser extent than what he's used to. He did a pretty decent job with us in his first 2 seasons, but less than the expectations. He has been doing a decent job with Spurs so far too.

His 3rd season syndrome unfortunately seems to have stuck with him ever since Real Madrid collapse. Not sure why. Before Madrid, he was known to have players run through walls for him any day every day. Him falling with players seems to all started with his conflict with Iker at Madrid, then it followed him to Chelsea and United. I hope he has learnt a lesson and try not to do it again.
I’m with you. I don’t hate him at all. It’s perhaps because of Moyes, because no matter how bad Jose got at the end, it could never be as bad as that cretin!

Jose is extremely charismatic and engaging. I enjoy his antics. I also enjoy the fact we don’t have his antics anymore, and am awaiting his latest implosion!

He’s now dialling it in, and waiting to be sacked - but very very few managers have a career as long as his. He’s still box office, even if it’s more The Last Action Hero than Terminator 2.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

I can go with that, question, and please believe me when i say I am not being shitty. Was he backed with United, were the signings his?

el3mel

I can go with that, question, and please believe me when i say I am not being shitty. Was he backed with United, were the signings his?
He was backed well in his first 2 seasons except for Perisic deal (so the team was stable and he was getting decent results) . His last season he fell out with Woodward on transfers and the market was a huge failure, hence it ended up with what happened. The mood transfered from the market to the dressing room, and him leaving was inevitable unfortunately.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He was backed well in his first 2 seasons except for Perisic deal (so the team was stable and he was getting decent results) . His last season he fell out with Woodward on transfers and the market was a huge failure, hence it ended up with what happened. The mood transfered from the market to the dressing room, and him leaving was inevitable unfortunately.
Ok, if he was backed, do you think he would still be there? I have said before I was always dubious of Jose with us but from what I remember and reading between the lines Jose may have been promised things and when he was at a club like united and he didn't get them he threw the head up? I'm not excusing him or his actions but I feel he thought he was at a club who would meet his expectations? I have my own feelings on Pogba as a player but again I don't wanna seem shitty.

el3mel

Ok, if he was backed, do you think he would still be there? I have said before I was always dubious of Jose with us but from what I remember and reading between the lines Jose may have been promised things and when he was at a club like united and he didn't get them he threw the head up? I'm not excusing him or his actions but I feel he thought he was at a club who would meet his expectations? I have my own feelings on Pogba as a player but again I don't wanna seem shitty.
If the last transfer window didn't end up with a huge conflict between him and Woodward on the transfers, then he might have stayed for probably one more season, no reason why not. At the end Woodward seemed to have a different vision for the team than Mourinho by his third season here and Mourinho couldn't endure it so he fell out with everyone and left. He had to leave at this point. The problem with Mourinho is when he gets into conflict with someone at the club, he loses concentration and focus on actually managing the team and becomes more interested in picking up more and more fights, and the toxic mood transfers to the entire dressing room. He did it 3 times in a row so I hope he has learned from it now.

It's pretty shame about how it ended. Mourinho isn't really one to stick around for long time anyway and I knew it but I hoped his time here would have ended in a much better way. Oh well, him and us moved on from it as the time went on anyway (apart from some posters here).

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
If the last transfer window didn't end up with a huge conflict between him and Woodward on the transfers, then he might have stayed for probably one more season, no reason why not. At the end Woodward seemed to have a different vision for the team than Mourinho by his third season here and Mourinho couldn't endure it so he fell out with everyone and left. He had to leave at this point. The problem with Mourinho is when he gets into conflict with someone at the club, he loses concentration and focus on actually managing the team and becomes more interested in picking up more and more fights, and the toxic mood transfers to the entire dressing room. He did it 3 times in a row so I hope he has learned from it now.

It's pretty shame about how it ended. Mourinho isn't really one to stick around for long time anyway and I knew it but I hoped his time here would have ended in a much better way. Oh well, him and us moved on from it as the time went on anyway (apart from some posters here).
Thanks for the insight friend.

He was backed.

Backing a manager does not mean they get a blank checkbook and can spend whatever they like or whoever they like. How much did he spend? Pogba, Lukaku, Fred, Sanchez, Bailly, Lindelof, Zlatan, Miki. That’s close to £300m on transfer fees and two free transfers on gigantic wages. He was backed more than any manager in the history of our club, and the vast amount of managers at any point in time in football.

He had more than enough money. In his last year he was looking at spending a fortune on Perecic, Willian and Aldervierald. Too bloody right we stopped that.

Wasn’t backed! I’m not having a go at you, but bloody hell thats an expensive myth.

Supports
England
If you think Jose thought 7-2 was a bad result I dunno what to say, Jose isn't a carrot manager, hes keeping feet on the ground for the next game against United that he will want desperately to win. Its Jose doing what Jose does.
I never said anything about the result. My entire contention is that, in spite of the result, there are still glaring weak points behind the frontline. But I'm going to assume that was an innocent mistake and that you meant to say "performance" instead of "result".

In which case, I'm referring to Jose's interview with Spurs TV (YouTube) in which he literally says, and I quote, "normally, to score 7 goals, the performance is impressive, and I don't think the performance was impressive". He goes on to say it was "not special", among other things that indicate that he wasn't happy with how it went regardless of the scoreline.

ETA: I rewatched it again and my interpretation is that he agrees with my earlier mid-match interpretation almost entirely. He says that Spurs were just clinical (or reliant on forward brilliance, as I put it in my post).

Last edited:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He was backed.

Backing a manager does not mean they get a blank checkbook and can spend whatever they like or whoever they like. How much did he spend? Pogba, Lukaku, Fred, Sanchez, Bailly, Lindelof, Zlatan, Miki. That’s close to £300m on transfer fees and two free transfers on gigantic wages. He was backed more than any manager in the history of our club, and the vast amount of managers at any point in time in football.

He had more than enough money. In his last year he was looking at spending a fortune on Perecic, Willian and Aldervierald. Too bloody right we stopped that.

Wasn’t backed! I’m not having a go at you, but bloody hell thats an expensive myth.
Mate, read back, I didn't say he wasn't. I was following up on @el3mel

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I never said anything about the result. My entire contention is that, in spite of the result, there are still glaring weak points behind the frontline. But I'm going to assume that was an innocent mistake and that you meant to say "performance" instead of "result".

In which case, I'm referring to Jose's interview with Spurs TV (YouTube) in which he literally says, and I quote, "normally, to score 7 goals, the performance is impressive, and I don't think the performance was impressive". He goes on to say it was "not special", among other things that indicate that he wasn't happy with how it went regardless of the scoreline.
Yes, in order to inspire the team to do better. Most fans will be happy with a 7-2 win :lol:.

Mate, read back, I didn't say he wasn't. I was following up on @el3mel
Your opening line I replied to was “ Ok, if he was backed, do you think he would still be there? ”

He was given more money than almost any other manager over a 2 year period in the history of the game. There might be a few that had more, but it’s a handful.

ti vu

I don't hate Mourinho when he was here, but I'm back to love him to fail at Spurs, if you know where I am coming from.

That's about feeling. Realistically, I am afraid he's cooking up a good side there with Levy and recruitment team knowing what they're doing. Look at this winter. So far, for under 70mil paid up front in transfer fee, that's solid quality and depth injected into the squad. Failing and they wouldn't lose much, while being able to give it a go next summer, given that many of these signing are loans.

It's hard to judge whether Mourinho had been past his best since IMO it was never been Mourinho team. Always having this feeling that certain players were not his decision to sell, thus he had to shoehorn those players while at the same not allowed to get all his targets to finish the team, even via backstabbing/ false promise or just sheer incompetence in getting deal done.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Your opening line I replied to was “ Ok, if he was backed, do you think he would still be there? ”

He was given more money than almost any other manager over a 2 year period in the history of the game. There might be a few that had more, but it’s a handful.
I said that cause, el3mel said he was backed in his first 2 seasons but not his last, I was following on from his post, I have no agenda, I was asking for his view.....

I said that cause, el3mel said he was backed in his first 2 seasons but not his last, I was following on from his post, I have no agenda, I was asking for his view.....
Roger that.

He was backed to the hilt. Then we got tired of the inappropriate players he wanted to buy. Jose was in meltdown mode. Rinse and repeat.

We though he could change. Chelsea’s though he could change. Spurs think he can change...

I’ve said in another digress that I like Jose, he’s charismatic, he’s great for the game, and I certainly don’t hate him. I am however delighted he’s no longer our manager.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Yeah Im absolutely delighted with our business this window and if we can bring in Vinicius and Skriniar then this will probably be the best window we have had in many many years.
Benfica have now officially confirmed the deal: €3m loan fee and a €45m option-to-buy clause.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

What do you think would've happened with Martial and Rashford if he'd stayed another 18 months? Martial got in his bad books after cutting short pre season to attend birth of child and he was benched for the final Mourinho game at Anfield although might've been coming back from an injury, can't remember. Was critical of Rashford at times aswell.

Pogba would've been long gone aswell although Man. United are probably at that point now where he needs to be moved on given the success of Bruno Fernandes and Van Der Beek needed to be integrated into the first 11 soon enough.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I don't hate Mourinho when he was here, but I'm back to love him to fail at Spurs, if you know where I am coming from.

That's about feeling. Realistically, I am afraid he's cooking up a good side there with Levy and recruitment team knowing what they're doing. Look at this winter. So far, for under 70mil paid up front in transfer fee, that's solid quality and depth injected into the squad. Failing and they wouldn't lose much, while being able to give it a go next summer, given that many of these signing are loans.

It's hard to judge whether Mourinho had been past his best since IMO it was never been Mourinho team. Always having this feeling that certain players were not his decision to sell, thus he had to shoehorn those players while at the same not allowed to get all his targets to finish the team, even via backstabbing/ false promise or just sheer incompetence in getting deal done.
Depends what success is for Spurs really. Obviously with the new stadium and the subsequent crisis they need the revenue from CL so top 4 is important but they finished top 4 in four out of Poch's five full seasons so it wouldn't be some historical achievement although Mourinho would probably spin it that way.

Obviously need to win a trophy for self esteem and get the jinx off their backs but I can't really believe winning a league cup would convince Kane to stay, dosen't get CL, minimal financial reward, probably going to be BCD etc.

Leaves them with FA cup (which Arsenal regularly win and no one blinks) or Europa which is the smart one to go all in for and Mourinho is certainly proven in that type of knock out scenario.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

el3mel

What do you think would've happened with Martial and Rashford if he'd stayed another 18 months? Martial got in his bad books after cutting short pre season to attend birth of child and he was benched for the final Mourinho game at Anfield although might've been coming back from an injury, can't remember. Was critical of Rashford at times aswell.

Pogba would've been long gone aswell although Man. United are probably at that point now where he needs to be moved on given the success of Bruno Fernandes and Van Der Beek needed to be integrated into the first 11 soon enough.
In his first season here he actually seemed to like Rashford a lot and was always talking about him in interviews as an example of a player that will always do what he demands him to do even if it was too much. Not sure if their relationship got fractioned during the last season but it was a full shite show anyway and Mourinho lost focus on coaching the team by then.

As for Martial, God only knows I guess, Mourinho probably had problems with his work rate on the pitch but he still played him in several top games and even during the shite show of his last season, Martial saved his job few times like against Newcastle or Chelsea. Martial also seemed interested in staying here and there were reports about him thinking he would outlast Mourinho, which happened, so I don't think he would have left, would have stayed and fought for his game time till Mourinho had left at the end.

Anyway, the fallout between Mourinho and Woodward regarding transfers and how the toxic mood transfered from summer to dressing room left no choice for him but to leave. It's just pretty shame that it all ended this way. Honestly, would have preferred for us to sack him in that summer instead of entering the season with him. Without his last season, people would have probably appreciated his first 2 seasons in the future a bit more and that he actually did a pretty decent job, but now people will mostly remember him for his last season. Ending sticks in the mind more at the end of the day.

But as I said us and him moved on from this anyway. It has been nearly 2 years since he left.

ti vu

Depends what success is for Spurs really. Obviously with the new stadium and the subsequent crisis they need the revenue from CL so top 4 is important but they finished top 4 in four out of Poch's five full seasons so it wouldn't be some historical achievement although Mourinho would probably spin it that way.

Obviously need to win a trophy for self esteem and get the jinx off their backs but I can't really believe winning a league cup would convince Kane to stay, dosen't get CL, minimal financial reward, probably going to be BCD etc.

Leaves them with FA cup (which Arsenal regularly win and no one blinks) or Europa which is the smart one to go all in for and Mourinho is certainly proven in that type of knock out scenario.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
With Mourinho, it's all about pushing as far as possible all front. Clearly the aim is to conquer those smaller cups. It's no point to compare to Arsenal. It's about conquering yourself.

Not the best start in the league, and they're not favorite to win it, top 4 is realistic objective. If the opportunity appears itself like 3 seasons ago mid season, Mourinho would push them to challenge with this depth.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

They are? Massively crap at home to Everton and lost, good result away to Southampton albeit that's a club that have had some negative headlines coming out of them themselves, draw at home to Newcastle after battering them in the first half and a somewhat fortunate win on penalties in the league cup (not counting the EL games which I'm sure due to the level of opposition they were much better than)

I mean they've got as many wins in 90 minutes as we have this season in 2 more games and our fans are as part of the course are loosing their shit over our start :lol:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
They are? Massively crap at home to Everton and lost, good result away to Southampton albeit that's a club that have had some negative headlines coming out of them themselves, draw at home to Newcastle after battering them in the first half and a somewhat fortunate win on penalties in the league cup (not counting the EL games which I'm sure due to the level of opposition they were much better than)

I mean they've got as many wins in 90 minutes as we have this season in 2 more games and our fans are as part of the course are loosing their shit over our start :lol:
We have only played one more game in the PL. Our win against the Chavs was probably as fortunate as yours against Brighton in the premiership.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We have only played one more game in the PL. Our win against the Chavs was probably as fortunate as yours against Brighton in the premiership.
I was counting games in all comps, Spurs have played 6 to our 4 (I believe) both sides have 3 wins in 90 minutes (well give or take 10 minutes and a FT whistle)

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I was counting games in all comps, Spurs have played 6 to our 4 (I believe) both sides have 3 wins in 90 minutes (well give or take 10 minutes and a FT whistle)
:lol: I think people seeing how the season will pan out after 2-3 games is premature but it happens every year.