The Tottenham Hotspur 2020/21 thread

NoPace

It won't be hard for Bale to improve on Spurs' options for a similar position, even if he is only ever 80% of the player he used to be. The squad is good but I wouldn't say that a single one of their other options for RW is PL top 4 quality.
Yeah, the dropoff between Kane, Son and their 3rd attacker (and neither of those best on the right so that's where he plays unless they use a 10 and Doherty as a proper wingback which could also work, though Kane is so good dropping deep that keeping space for him to do so seems wise) is massive. Makes the dropoff from Salah and Mane to Firmino look small by comparison.

Ultimately I think the season comes down to N'Dombele or Lo Celso combining to give them one quality top 5 season for a creative midfield type in the Prem, even if it's half a season each like Ramsey or Nasri used to excel in for Arsenal. With it, they can be title pretenders and finish a strong 3rd. Without that, they're just another team in the mess with Chelsea, Arsenal, Leicester, us, maybe Everton

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I absolutely detest Mourinho as a manager -

However, I have a feeling that spurs will win the title this year or be one of the top 3 main teams who are competing for it.

Mourinho has fantastic, straight to the point 2nd season's at all his clubs. When you add the fact that Bale is in their team too - even if he isnt as great as he once was - he could bring that winning mentality and quality to the team alongside players like Son & Kane.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

However, I have a feeling that spurs will win the title this year or be one of the top 3 main teams who are competing for it.

Mourinho has fantastic, straight to the point 2nd season's at all his clubs. When you add the fact that Bale is in their team too - even if he isnt as great as he once was - he could bring that winning mentality and quality to the team alongside players like Son & Kane.
Will have to be a very low points total for Spurs to be in contention this season, probably 75. No chance they'll shoot 90 points especially as they'll give lots to win europa league.

RashyForPM

Will have to be a very low points total for Spurs to be in contention this season, probably 75. No chance they'll shoot 90 points especially as they'll give lots to win europa league.
If they are in with a chance by February, Mourinho will definitely toss away the EL.

Raredaredevil

If Spurs thrash West Ham today, I believe they will be nailed on for top 4. Mourinho vs Moyes. Battle of our exes. :D

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
If Spurs thrash West Ham today, I believe they will be nailed on for top 4. Mourinho vs Moyes. Battle of our exes. :D
Hammers have been good recently, riding a bit of form, put Wolves and Leicester to the sword 4-0 and 3-0.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

He didn’t at United.

Bebestation

I know it's just the start of the season but both Liverpool and City dont look as dominant as they did for the last couple years. Injuries to their CB's etc just make it worse aswell.

Hell there is people saying that even Everton could have a Leicester type go at the league too. If that's even remotely possible then I dont see why Jose on his second season couldnt make spurs work when the whole league seems to be less strong or consistent.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I know it's just the start of the season but both Liverpool and City dont look as dominant as they did for the last couple years. Injuries to their CB's etc just make it worse aswell.

Hell there is people saying that even Everton could have a Leicester type go at the league too. If that's even remotely possible then I dont see why Jose on his second season couldnt make spurs work when the whole league seems to be less strong or consistent.
Oh I agree with that but need to remember Leicester could've won the league with about 73 points in the end. Even if Liverpool drop extra 10 points than their average over last 2 seasons which looks likely that's still them finishing on 89 points.

Spurs already dropped 5 points at home. His Chelsea title winning teams would barely drop a point in home games until they'd practically won the league. To win a league now you have to win 15 home games as a minimum unless your away form is amazing. Would be interested to see the last title winner who won less than that (actually it was Leicester in 15/16 with 12 home wins....). Add in Mourinho just setting up for draws in their tough away games and I'd still be pretty surprised if Spurs broke 80 points this season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Home win stats for teams winning title in last decade

Man. United- 18/19 won

Man. City- 18/19 won

Man. United 16/19 won

Man. City- 17/19 won

Chelsea- 15/19 won

Leicester - 12/19 won

Chelsea- 18/19 won

Man. City- 16/19 won and 18/19 in 18/19 season.

Liverpool- 18/19 won

Of course BCD will probably make all home records worse than on average for top 6 but shows Spurs have little margin for error in their remaining 17 home games unless it's a Leicester style season.

Needham

Our game was a farce. Two good halfs out the other three matches sounds about right. And when they were bad they were really fecking grim to watch.
Well that doesn't sound like a 100% guarantee and with Bale dropping in alongside Son and Kane be hard for those 3 to produce shitty sticks.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Home win stats for teams winning title in last decade

Man. United- 18/19 won

Man. City- 18/19 won

Man. United 16/19 won

Man. City- 17/19 won

Chelsea- 15/19 won

Leicester - 12/19 won

Chelsea- 18/19 won

Man. City- 16/19 won and 18/19 in 18/19 season.

Liverpool- 18/19 won

Of course BCD will probably make all home records worse than on average for top 6 but shows Spurs have little margin for error in their remaining 17 home games unless it's a Leicester style season.
If ever there was a season to basically ignore home and away records, then this is surely it?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
If ever there was a season to basically ignore home and away records, then this is surely it?
Yes probably but still near impossible to win the league if you're regularly dropping points at home. Spurs well set to get off the mark at home anyway today.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Ok so stay with me here. If they keep Kane, Son and Bale fit, and if City and ourselves both fall off a bit from previous seasons...could a Mourinho led Spurs win the league?

City look like they aren’t as formidable as they were, and we might be without Van Dijk for the entire season.

It leaves it open for someone else.

Woodenlung

For a while I was worried that Kane was finished as a top level player. He was picking up injuries, looked lethargic and lacked the spark that made him such a great player. But he's rediscovered it and seems to be even better than he was a few years ago. Scoring goals again and is racking up assist after assist. Lewandowski is the only centre forward better than him in world football.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Ok so stay with me here. If they keep Kane, Son and Bale fit, and if City and ourselves both fall off a bit from previous seasons...could a Mourinho led Spurs win the league?

City look like they aren’t as formidable as they were, and we might be without Van Dijk for the entire season.

It leaves it open for someone else.
Honestly I’m not a fan of either of them but screw it, id enjoy it for something different.

Bebestation

I'm not sure anybody sees it but Pochettino's tactics and type of player is something Jose could always work with.

Both like the big strength players in midfield (hojbergs, sissoko, ndombeles, Essiens, Matics) and upfront (Kane, Drogba, Zlatan). They like inverted forward normally on one side (hazard, robben, Son) and another providing width ( William, lucas moura, berjwijn,wanting perisic).

Tottenham was a very good career choice for Jose Mourinho.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Have a decent run of games up to end of November.

Then they have Man. City (H), Chelsea (a), Arsenal (H), Palace (a), Liverpool (a), Leicester (h), Wolves (a) up to boxing day.

I also remember people going mad when they won 6-2 away to Everton mid season under Poch and it fizzled out soon after so think they need to be judged in that period.

Critical they keep Kane fit. When was the last time he had injury free season, must be a good 4 years now.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Reguillion was a great signing for them, impressed they picked him up.

Stretender

Jose will soon revert to type. Lets not forget Kane and Bale are injury prone.

However if they stay fit all season they will win the league.

Any team other than Liverpool and City for me. I can't stand the Klopp and Pep lovers in the media.

mu4c_20le

A lot of people shat on Bale too. That's almost guaranteed to make him perform now.