The Tottenham Hotspur 2020/21 thread

James Peril

Nothing new here, Tottenham are always capable of scoring goals when Kane and Son are on fire, has got absolutely nothing to do with Mourinho. Let’s not forget these guys drew Newcastle and lost to Everton a few weeks ago.

Kane, Son or both will get injured soon, then we know what happens eventually with Mourinho.
Quoting myself from 3-0, this worked out in the end. As said, we know what happens with Mourinho in the end. Results like this will make his head spin and craziness will happen. Spurs will not win shit, most importantly because Kane and Son will get injured, they always do

Chief123

Lads, it’s Tottenham. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just read this thread. What a mess. From title winners to just Spurs within a couple of pages.

On a side note, the run that Bale made where he hit the post. Him running to give Kane support...my god his legs really have gone. He looked so sluggish trying to join in.

Chief123

We fecking threw those 3 points away, mostly thanks to the terrible o.g from Sanchez. 3 - 0 up, Kane hits the post and we fecking threw it all away.
To be fair Spurs looked terrible trying to defend any kind of scoreline. Aurier, Sanchez and Reguilon are not guys who are going to hold on to leads to win a game never mind a title.

Chief123

Spurs are going to win the title.

Utd have had one of their worst starts to a season ever.

We win our game in hand and we go above them. Hilarious. :lol: :lol:

Loon

:lol:
I like Son. I warmed to him a lot in that documentary, but seeing him humbled and gutted just now after his celebrations at OT are delicious tears.

edcunited1878

Davidson Sanchez....if the ball finds him, he's really prone to negative outcomes every match that hurts his team.

Against United, I think he conceded the penalty against Martial. Then today he missed the set piece ball clearance for Balbuena's goal, and then the OG.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
In their first nine games, Spurs have scored 28 goals, hitting teams for 5, 6 and 7. Yet they have started 2-2-1 in the league, only good enough for 6th with three top four rivals with winnable games to leapfrog them, and qualified for the Europa League group stages and League Cup QF.

That’s a lot of effort and hot air for very little return.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Couldn't have happened to a nicer team and manager

MattofManchester

Tottenham still having the same issues they've had for decades:

A mentally fragile football squad.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
You know what, most won't admit to it but I... kneejerked at halftime. Spuds let me down. Mou is a Pep Guardiola is my idol.
I knee-jerk at everything, it's my greatest quality. I did still have the 6-1 on my mind, in fairness.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Still enjoying it mate, whats the point on always thinking the worst will happen? There is no point in football without optimism, us Spurs fans are well versed in it. We have been hearing for the last 5-6 years now about how we "would go back to where we belong". I've been a Spurs fan since Francis, trust me I have seen the worst.
Are you still optimistic?

Supports
England
Lads, it’s Tottenham. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just read this thread. What a mess. From title winners to just Spurs within a couple of pages.

On a side note, the run that Bale made where he hit the post. Him running to give Kane support...my god his legs really have gone. He looked so sluggish trying to join in.
Bale didn't hit the post. He missed the target in embarrassing fashion. Which attack were you thinking about? The one where Kane actually did hit the post or the one I just mentioned?

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Just seen the result and I thought it was over at 3-0. Can’t stop smiling :drool:

Supports
England
We fecking threw those 3 points away, mostly thanks to the terrible o.g from Sanchez. 3 - 0 up, Kane hits the post and we fecking threw it all away.
Are you seriously putting blame on Kane for not scoring off of his left foot from what must have been more than 20 yards?

Supports
England
West Ham created better chances going by expected goals. 1.42 v 1.57

Almost same shots attempted too.
I'm an xG apologist but it absolutely can't be used (yet or maybe ever) to accurately determine who "should" have won a match. Current models only perform well when you take the average of a large sample of games. A season is enough to make some good comparisons, for example.

Having said all that, one huge reason that Spurs have a better attack than West Ham is that they have Kane and Son, who are two of the five biggest overperformers of xG in Europe. So it becomes a somewhat circular argument. xG doesn't mean much when Kane and Son are taking your shots.

Edit: also bear in mind that the OG won't have counted towards either sides' expectation so that massively effects the discrepancy right there.

Last edited:

trims

Supports
Arsenal
In the league, I expect them to be strong challengers for top 4, nothing more. Southampton and Untied were very poor, and the usual problems with Tottenham showed against Everton and Newcastle. They might win a cup but Jose will have to overcome what Chiellini would call 'The History of Tottenham' which would be an impressive achievement.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I'm an xG apologist but it absolutely can't be used (yet or maybe ever) to accurately determine who "should" have won a match. Current models only perform well when you take the average of a large sample of games. A season is enough to make some good comparisons, for example.

Having said all that, one huge reason that Spurs have a better attack than West Ham is that they have Kane and Son, who are two of the five biggest overperformers of xG in Europe. So it becomes a somewhat circular argument. xG doesn't mean much when Kane and Son are taking your shots.
I wasn't arguing on who should have won that game, just that it wasn't one sided, West Ham had decent chances too.

I agree with your point on Kane and xG.

SSSSnake

The curse of Gareth Bale. How funny would that be if they go on a poor run now with him starting.

Supports
England
I wasn't arguing on who should have won that game, just that it wasn't one sided, West Ham had decent chances too.

I agree with your point on Kane and xG.
Fair enough. It gets really confusing what you can and can't safely infer from xG. It's easily the most confusing and confused statistic in mainstream football conversation. And the media is doing nothing to discourage inaccurate use by providing xG stats without context or explanation.

I'm a huge fan of xG - it's an excellent example of human ingenuity in computational statistics as applied to sport - but it's hard to introduce it into the mainstream without generating a ton of controversy, mix-ups etc. It's basically the offside rule of football stats.

All of which is to say that I think it's fair to conclude that the two teams probably had similarly good chances from those numbers. Stats is hard! (And I use stats in my daily life as an academic!)

K_Ash

I know someone that must be "fuming, fam" right now

Flexdegea

This is what we have been telling (atleast I did when they hired Jose)

They have a brilliant squad that suites all kind of football. Le Colso and Ndombele are beasts, with Kane and Son at top, they are a bloody brilliant side.

Their major weakness were full backs and they just upgraded it this year. Won't win title for sure but would be top 4 comfortably.

Bloody brilliant side, sorry based on what?

Why where people losing their minds about Spurs :lol:

Quality up front, not the seconds coming of peak Jose Chelsea team