The Tottenham Hotspur 2020/21 thread

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
So, who will they hire as their next manager? Who is there? Rodgers, Howe, Hasenhüttl? Allegri? Jardim?

André Villas-Boas is available :wenger:

Kag

They have lots of good footballers. Mourinho is doing his thing in which he convinces the world that there is nothing more that can be done with the current crop and that half the squad a clearly dispensable. Classic feckwittery. Thankfully, fewer people seem to buy into it these days, especially in the media.

I particularly like the way Matt Doherty has been determined as not good enough within the space of a few months. New right back clearly required...

croadyman

So, who will they hire as their next manager? Who is there? Rodgers, Howe, Hasenhüttl? Allegri? Jardim?

André Villas-Boas is available :wenger:
Any of the first three are shrewd appointments but can't see Leicester letting Rodgers leave

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
They play like a low table team despite having some really good team overall. I never liked Mourinhos style, succesful or not.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
They have lots of good footballers. in which he convinces the world that there is nothing more that can be done with the current crop and that half the squad a clearly dispensable. Classic feckwittery. Thankfully, fewer people seem to buy into it these days, especially in the media.

I particularly like the way Matt Doherty has been determined as not good enough within the space of a few months. New right back clearly required...
It’s absolute mastery. Had me fecking fooled, I’ll tell you that for nothing.

Irwin99

They have lots of good footballers. Mourinho is doing his thing in which he convinces the world that there is nothing more that can be done with the current crop and that half the squad a clearly dispensable. Classic feckwittery. Thankfully, fewer people seem to buy into it these days, especially in the media.

Have to say, I thought he'd be a really good signing for them, the same way Sergio Regulon has been for them. He was an excellent player last season

OhGee

That was tongue in cheek, a throwback to the time when Glaston was lecturing us for persisting with a dinosaur in Mourinho when we should be sacking him and appointing Eddie Howe.

Seriously though, both Mourinho and Bale are finished at this level. Spurs should be moving them both on, appoint a fresh blood. Ralph Hasnhuttl would be a great appointment.
Nein das nichts would love to see Spurs getting scorelines like that

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
It's a miracle Son's still there. He could've spent the last few years at somewhere like Bayern winning everything and scoring 25 a season, instead he's nearly 29 and has never won a major trophy. Just seems a bit of a waste.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Have to say, I thought he'd be a really good signing for them, the same way Sergio Regulon has been for them. He was an excellent player last season
He's not good enough as a fullback - more or less a poorer & right-sided [Irrelevant point]. If you use him as a wingback and give him license to attack the opposition area by letting him underlap a traditional winger he can do pretty well, but if he gets isolated defensively in wide areas he's a liability. Lacks the attacking nous and physical dominance of Alonso though.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It's a miracle Son's still there. He could've spent the last few years at somewhere like Bayern winning everything and scoring 25 a season, instead he's nearly 29 and has never won a major trophy. Just seems a bit of a waste.
Hell, he'd be a great fit at Klopp's Liverpool. It's really a shame. He's one of the, if not, the best Asian player to ever play in Europe and he's got feck all to show for it in terms of trophies.

el3mel

Doherty has been crap whenever I saw him play for them. Considering Aurier has been outperforming him and even Reguilon has mostly done well from what I have seen, I am sure it's Doherty's problem.

They have a pretty good attacking options whom Mourinho can't seem to get them to perform regularly. He can't seem to benefit from Kane and Son at all unlike the beginning of the season. He also seems to be under using Vinicus even though he spent the whole summer asking for a striker.

However I have always thought their midfield is underwhelming and their defense is an absolute rubbish. Lo Celso and Ndombele are great, but Sissoko isn't a footballer and Winks is absolute trash. Playing Dier as a defender is a recipe for a disaster. Aurier is inconsistent and Reguilon is great.

I'm not sure. They seem ridiculously reliant on Ndombele and Son creating things on their own to Kane now and without Lo Celso as a bench option Mourinho doesn't seem to know what to do when they are down or need a goal. Their defense and midfield need a complete rebuild from scratch but Levi isn't going to offer funds for it. They are going nowhere with Sissoko, Winks and Dier playing regularly for them.

I'm not afraid of them regardless. Their period as a consistent top 4 is done. It was one lucky period in which a group of talents that developed into great players and a coach that managed to extract every possible thing from them. They might find another offensively minded or better coach than current Mourinho but I doubt they will ever manage to resemble a similar team for a long period of team with their funds. Once Kane or Son leave or become past their prime, they are done for good. They will never manage to replace them with similar quality.

They are returning to where they used to be, top 7 team or something.

MrEleson

He's one of the, if not, the best Asian player to ever play in Europe and he's got feck all to show for it in terms of trophies.
He sure is. He’s carried them ever since the latter half of the18/19 season. Surprised no big teams came for him.

luke511

Tottenham fans, would you be happy with Sean Dyche replacing Mourinho?

MU655

Just give them £150m and take Kane. He needs to move to a better team now.

thepolice123

Can someone tell me why is Sanchez in the team? Always seem to cost them a goal whenever he plays.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
You could tell the Spurs fans had started to give it large again after a few wins. And Bale was supposed to be back. Absolutely dire today. You love to see it.

Irwin99

They're gonna have to go for that Europa now....will probably get beat by Arsenal in the final :lol:

Have to say Lucas Moura was fantastic. One of the few players that turned up for them.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Too many mediocre players still getting significant minutes for them in big games.

That's all.

Their midfield hasn't half had a significant downgrade. Just full of plodders nowadays who just foul constantly. Ndombele been better but he's still miles off the class of Eriksen.

el3mel

I don't know, the guy doesn't seem to learn no matter how many times it happens, it's so fecking weird when you think about it.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
What's happened to Tanganga and Bergwijn? Doesn't seem like either have played much recently

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Any team with a well organized press and discipline in covering defensive transitions can smother the life out of them. Brighton and Chelsea both did it while Kane was hurt. Arsenal just showed that you can do it with Kane in the team as long as you're brave and organized. They just really don't have a plan to advance the ball down the pitch other than hoping that either the opponent plays off them and lets them move forward into the final third relatively easily or the opponent plays rashly in defensive transitions.

charlenefan

Tanganga looked promising at one point, Bergwijn is shite though, proper mid 2000s Spurs level player.
I'm watching the show on Amazon at the moment and the big deal that is made about both on it made me remember the pair of them

Brightonian

Been watching a lot of Oliver Skipp at Norwich and he's got 'it'. I'm quite jealous. Always been a big James Garner fan but at the same age Skipp is head and shoulders above him developmentally. I hope Mourinho doesn't end up being an obstacle to his development, because finally finding some quality at DM will be absolutely crucial to the talented generation of England youngsters coming through at the moment (Foden, Greenwood, Hudson-Odoi et al) living up to their hype.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Who else have they got? Roden or Dier? It is not a great choice, to be honest.
This, Rodon is a young CB trying to find his feet in a new league that is a big step up. Dier has periods where he is ok to good, then goes through a patch where he is dire.

Their midfield is the same, I dont feel Ndombele brings enough intensity and lung busting runs. He is a moments player, great for youtube, you watch some of the things he does and it is insane. He then goes missing for 20 minutes, he can play those defence splitting passes though, just doesnt seem to step up enough when needed. I guess you could argue Eriksen was much like this early in his career as well, just went missing in games. Sissoko is almost the opposite, great engine and athleticism, poor footballer, attacks will break down simply because he dithers on the ball, his passing is average and his shooting poor. Who else do they have in that midfield area? Oh Winks, squad player at best, guess he does count towards that English player quota, never really improved, could honestly see him operating at a team near the bottom of the league like Fulham. 25 now so coming into the prime of his career, probably time he moved on rather than be a bench player.

I think they are missing Lo Celso, was Spurs best player the end of last season.

Been watching a lot of Oliver Skipp at Norwich and he's got 'it'. I'm quite jealous. Always been a big James Garner fan but at the same age Skipp is head and shoulders above him developmentally. I hope Mourinho doesn't end up being an obstacle to his development, because finally finding some quality at DM will be absolutely crucial to the talented generation of England youngsters coming through at the moment (Foden, Greenwood, Hudson-Odoi et al) living up to their hype.
Dont know much about Skipp tbf other than he had some cameos for Spurs when he was young. I would say Hojbjerg has actually been a good signing for them however in that DM position.

thepolice123

What's happened to Tanganga and Bergwijn? Doesn't seem like either have played much recently
Was thinking of that too. I remember watching the Spurs documentary on Amazon and Mourinho rated Tanganga. Probably played a few shite games and got frozen out. :lol:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
What concerns me the most about Jose over the last few years is just how many of his own signings he decides quite quickly that he doesn't fancy.

charlenefan

Looking very likely it'll be 2 years in a row out of the UCL, how long are Kane and Son going to put up with it?

thepolice123

Their attack is as bad or even worse than ours. Fortunately for us we have a far better defence. Now that Son could possibly be out for weeks, things could get uglier.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal

Joe seems to be a bit confused...