The Tottenham Hotspur 2020/21 thread

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
We wont get more for him, COVID has took its toll, you also have other players in his position like Mbappe and Halland, listen to his interview Kane himself thinks £100M is a hair price. NO doubt in my mind that's the fee the buying club (probably City) have said they are willing to pay, and make him their top earner. This deal is already done, only guy in the way is Levy, next season Harry will have 2 seasons left and will be older and worth less, IMO lookign at it, Kane is gone and I for one do not blame him.
Yes we wont get more for him which is exactly why he wont be going anywhere this summer. Unless Madrid or somebody comes in with £180 million

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Yes we wont get more for him which is exactly why he wont be going anywhere this summer. Unless Madrid or somebody comes in with £180 million
Madrid are broke, its City. Do you really think Harry would come out with that interview without knowing he has a buyer? City has tap tapped him and said "we want you" , laid the contract out and told him its up to him now. This has been planned and now they are executing it. Again I don't blame Kane at all, yes he's been a bit shitty in his timing but he deserves much better than he has received from out club. Unless baldy can pull a master stoke with the next manager and sell it to Kane, he is gone and again the club deserves all of it. Levy, and I still am grateful for a lot he has done, has failed to realise that you cant build an elite club on income alone you need honours.

TheReligion

Abusive
If you think anyone is paying close to £200m post covid for anyone you're crazy. Kane mentioned £100m in his interview and I imagine in and around that figure will be the gentleman's agreement he states he has with Levy.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Madrid are broke, its City. Do you really think Harry would come out with that interview without knowing he has a buyer? City has tap tapped him and said "we want you" , laid the contract out and told him its up to him now. This has been planned and now they are executing it. Again I don't blame Kane at all, yes he's been a bit shitty in his timing but he deserves much better than he has received from out club. Unless baldy can pull a master stoke with the next manager and sell it to Kane, he is gone and again the club deserves all of it. Levy, and I still am grateful for a lot he has done, has failed to realise that you cant build an elite club on income alone you need honours.
None of us would blame Kane for wanting out but this summer it's very unlikely to happen because of the financial situation of all the clubs.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
If you think anyone is paying close to £200m post covid for anyone you're crazy. Kane mentioned £100m in his interview and I imagine in and around that figure will be the gentleman's agreement he states he has with Levy.
That is exactly my point. Nobody will pay what Levy will demand.

TheReligion

Abusive
Kane has already said he's got a gentleman's agreement to leave. He also mentioned the £100m figure. Surely you see the connection?

I know it's going to be pretty gutting to lose him, it was when we lost Ronaldo, but don't bury your head in the sand on this one. He's going and Levy won't stop him.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's been such a public stance he's taken and the media has en masse jumped on it, of course, England captain and all. Even if you keep him, it'll be a bit of a mare. Do you have any money to seriously make your squad competitive in the short term?

Given that it's unlikely you'll get anything close to 150m (I'm assuming at least) that's why I wondered whether the long term solution is to try and get 100m upfront from City and demand their most promising youngsters (who'd all be more likely to make it through at Spurs than City). You obviously have to hire a manager who can rebuild, which is why Rangnick would be an interesting choice. But it's about biting the bullet now, and plan ahead, or digging your heels in and presumably fight for the top 4 at best.

Same with Barca, in a way. I thought last summer the practical move was to sell Messi to City for as much money as possible and rebuild that squad. As it is, they'll continue down the same path of being close, but not close enough until he moves to a retirement league.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
None of us would blame Kane for wanting out but this summer it's very unlikely to happen because of the financial situation of all the clubs.
He is only going to decrees in price, that's the point, next season 2 seasons left and after that even less. Im not blaming Levy by the way, I still have a lot of love for him and how he brought us forward, but the ESL BS was the limit for me. He was chasing the coin on the back of feck all merit, happy to be used for stadium and income. Levy has no credibility anymore, his talk of doing things the right way and growing organically then at the drop of coin he runs off to be the whipping boy in a closed shop? What the feck was he thinking.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Kane has already said he's got a gentleman's agreement to leave. He also mentioned the £100m figure. Surely you see the connection?

I know it's going to be pretty gutting to lose him, it was when we lost Ronaldo, but don't bury your head in the sand on this one. He's going and Levy won't stop him.
I'm not burying my head in the sand - Kane is a £150 million player minimum.

RedorDead21

Isn’t it relative? If you get 100m for him you’d be one of 2-3 clubs in the world with that money to spend this summer? And wait another year you’d be looking at a lot less because of his age.

James Peril

So Tottenham need cash, have a prized asset that doesn’t want to be there anymore, and he will refuse to sell him? So he’d rather have an unhappy player thay will stink up the place (he was really poor yesterday), let him get older and less valuable? So basically neglect financial responsibility whilst making the team suffer? Yeah, doesn’t makes sense. He lost Eriksen for nothing instead of selling him for 75M or whatever it could have been, perhaps he has learned a lesson - he really messed up that situation.

I think they have a gentlemen’s agreement in place and it sure as shit isn’t anywhere near 200M or whatever crazy sums are mentioned. Perhaps 100M is reasonable, it’s an insane amount for a player that has annual injury problems. He’s worth it, by all means, but he doesn’t have Ronaldo’s body.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I'm not burying my head in the sand - Kane is a £150 million player minimum.
Id say if we got £100m with say £40m of add ons that's it. Most top clubs would see that as fair, especially if they got 2 league wins out of him, the deal would pay for itself.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
So Tottenham need cash, have a prized asset that doesn’t want to be there anymore, and he will refuse to sell him? So he’d rather have an unhappy player thay will stink up the place (he was really poor yesterday), let him get older and less valuable? So basically neglect financial responsibility whilst making the team suffer? Yeah, doesn’t makes sense. He lost Eriksen for nothing instead of selling him for 75M or whatever it could have been, perhaps he has learned a lesson - he really messed up that situation.

I think they have a gentlemen’s agreement in place and it sure as shit isn’t anywhere near 200M or whatever crazy sums are mentioned. Perhaps 100M is reasonable, it’s an insane amount for a player that has annual injury problems. He’s worth it, by all means, but he doesn’t have Ronaldo’s body.
We don't need money, yes we have a shit load of debt but its long, long term. It can be kicked down the long term road. If Harry leaves its because he pushes it, we are in no real need of cash. Why would a bank close loan debt on a stadium they can do nothing with?

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
We don't need money, yes we have a shit load of debt but its long, long term. It can be kicked down the long term road. If Harry leaves its because he pushes it, we are in no real need of cash. Why would a bank close loan debt on a stadium they can do nothing with?
Long term debt is still debt though. You might not need to sell to finance the debt at the minute but Spurs presumably need to strengthen unless happy in 6th - 8th place. Debt makes borrowing more for a rebuild much harder - Given Kanes public wish to leave, if I was Levy Id sell Kane for 100m or whatever I could get and maybe Son (29 and inconsistent but still has value) and a couple others that arent good enough too and try and have a big pot of cash to plan the big rebuild thats needed

TheReligion

Abusive
@balaks @LilyWhiteSpur

I'm pretty sure the new manager will want all this sorting by the way. How can they build a team if Kane is going the following season? It's a total disaster really and the sensible option is to push the reset button and move on gracefully.

tomaldinho1

City have a lot of money + Spurs are the most indebted club in world football as I understand it. I know the debt is structured to allow for a longer payment horizon but Kane clearly wants out and he's at his peak of sale value. It's a match made in heaven. I joked about this previously but I can genuinely see him being signed for like £70m and then a portfolio company of ADIA, like Reliance where I think they have multiple business units, buying the Spurs' stadium naming rights.

TheReligion

Abusive
So Levy will break the agreement with Kane causing a rift and him to go more public and create issues with the new manager into the following season? Nah can't see it. Who does that benefit exactly?

caid

So Levy will break the agreement with Kane causing a rift and him to go more public and create issues with the new manager into the following season? Nah can't see it. Who does that benefit exactly?
Theres been about 5 previous players talk about gentlemens agreements and they wound up being stuck at the club despite them. I dont particularly agree with forcing players to stay on but Levy has a well established form for it. With leagues and football recovering they can probably get the same kind of figure for him next year as this year. If he stays for 3 more years and leaves for nothing, its not exactly a terrible deal to keep one of the best strikers in the world for the best years of his career. No one in the premier league needs money.
Dont think it'll happen this season. Unless City offer something absolutely mental like 150m+

TheReligion

Abusive
Theres been about 5 previous players talk about gentlemens agreements and they wound up being stuck at the club despite them. I dont particularly agree with forcing players to stay on but Levy has a well established form for it. With leagues and football recovering they can probably get the same kind of figure for him next year as this year. If he stays for 3 more years and leaves for nothing, its not exactly a terrible deal to keep one of the best strikers in the world for the best years of his career. No one in the premier league needs money.
Dont think it'll happen this season. Unless City offer something absolutely mental like 150m+
Nah this feels much different to me. The fact Kane is going hard on it so publicly suggests he's relaxed about the situation. Even mentioning the fee.

Can't see how it benefits an incoming manager to have this stinking the place up either.

He's going

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I just don't think it will happen this summer - I think they will discuss the situation and Levy will make promises to Kane in terms of manager, money available and vision of next year and I think Kane will as likely decide to stay one more year as decide to force a way out. Don't forget Kane genuinely loves the club and is a fan. He is 100% gone next summer though if we don't seriously improve though - I'll give you that and to be honest I'd wish him well.

Judas

Open to offers
I'd be shocked if Kane stays now, he's not burnt the bridge down, but he's certainly got all the tools lined up to burn it down. He's saying everything without actually saying it, and even then he's being so open and honest, how does he possible go back on it now?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

I think you're taking the 100m figure too seriously, it was a figure that Kane just threw out there during his interview with Neville I highly doubt that that's the figure him and Levy had pre-agreed would be his price tag and if it were I doubt Kane would publicise it in an interview

The gentleman's agreement is likely just that Spurs/Levy won't stand in his way if their asking price is matched

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I just don't think it will happen this summer - I think they will discuss the situation and Levy will make promises to Kane in terms of manager, money available and vision of next year and I think Kane will as likely decide to stay one more year as decide to force a way out. Don't forget Kane genuinely loves the club and is a fan. He is 100% gone next summer though if we don't seriously improve though - I'll give you that and to be honest I'd wish him well.
How is that different from last summer, when they allegedly had a chat much like this one? You think Levy will sanction a huge spending spree?

charlenefan

I'd be shocked if Kane stays now, he's not burnt the bridge down, but he's certainly got all the tools lined up to burn it down. He's saying everything without actually saying it, and even then he's being so open and honest, how does he possible go back on it now?
The same way every player who's asked to leave and hasn't got his wish have, Gerrard, Rooney, Ribery, Lewandowski, Pogba, Messi they've all at one point told their club they want a move

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The same way every player who's asked to leave and hasn't got his wish have, Gerrard, Rooney, Ribery, Lewandowski, Pogba, Messi they've all at one point told their club they want a move
All of those players won trophies.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think you're still clinging to him staying when it's pretty obvious he won't. He's already had the gentleman's agreement and it's not worked. You've not met his ambitions. Why would he do that again and waste another year? You're further away than you've ever been, need a rebuild and a new manager. Little to no money to work with either.

TheReligion

Abusive
Have any come out and said they have a gentleman's agreement they can leave with the chairman and done interviews publicly reiterating the same?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Long term debt is still debt though. You might not need to sell to finance the debt at the minute but Spurs presumably need to strengthen unless happy in 6th - 8th place. Debt makes borrowing more for a rebuild much harder - Given Kanes public wish to leave, if I was Levy Id sell Kane for 100m or whatever I could get and maybe Son (29 and inconsistent but still has value) and a couple others that arent good enough too and try and have a big pot of cash to plan the big rebuild thats needed
I have already agreed with what u said, Joe Lewis is as rich as they come if he decides to invest. I said my valuation for Kane is £100-150m. Long term debt is what it is, but its not crippling, no bank will claim a football stadium if payment isn't made. Spurs, thanks to Levy are liquid even if my opinion of him has changed.

Last edited:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
@balaks @LilyWhiteSpur

I'm pretty sure the new manager will want all this sorting by the way. How can they build a team if Kane is going the following season? It's a total disaster really and the sensible option is to push the reset button and move on gracefully.
I agree, what's your point? When COVID passes we will be in a very different state, I have no idea who the next manager is BTW, and if I am honest I don't really care. We will drop a lot when Harry leaves and I will still support Spurs, if I am honest I miss the carefree Andy Sinton days.

charlenefan

And the price will be realistic or else what's the point in the agreement
But why should Levy sell him for less than he's worth? It's not Spurs fault we're in a covid environment. Even if you ignore the post Neymar inflated market Kane's asking price was always going to be significantly more than 'just' 100m

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He has no choice
Strictly speaking, he won't next summer either. If you end up selling next season, what will have been the value in retaining him for 2021-2022 season if you then (presumably) end up outside the top 4 again? Potentially you get top 4 with him, and potentially you'd be delaying a rebuild job whilst seeing his value decrease.