The Tottenham Hotspur 2020/21 thread

TheReligion

Abusive
But why should Levy sell him for less than he's worth? It's not Spurs fault we're in a covid environment. Even if you ignore the post Neymar inflated market Kane's asking price was always going to be significantly more than 'just' 100m
What is he worth though post covid? Do you think Kane just has an agreement that he can leave so long as Levy gets whatever money he wants? Would be pointless as the club would agree and then just out price a move for anyone interested.

TheReligion

Abusive
He has no choice
He doesn't have the money to sanction a spending spree nor does he have a manager in place to spend it.

Kane is not sticking around for another rebuild job. He's been pretty clear on that. He's had the chat you mention already and now it's end of the road.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
What is he worth though post covid? Do think Kane just has an agreement that he can leave so long as Levy gets whatever money he wants? Would be pointless as the club would agree and then just out price a move for anyone interested.
Like I said it's not the selling clubs fault we're in a covid environment so why should Spurs sell him for less than he's worth? What he's worth is probably between £120-150m based on pre Neymar figures (in a post Neymar world I expect Spurs would have wanted between £150-200m)

We saw the exact same last summer with Sancho, we expected Dortmund to give him away because of the pandemic but why should they? Why should any selling club feel they're obliged to sell at a lesser price?

The players might feel they're being hard done by with their clubs sticking to their valuation knowing that clubs are unwilling to spend that kind of money at the moment but unfortunately for the player it's tough shit

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
He doesn't have the money to sanction a spending spree nor does he have a manager in place to spend it.

Kane is not sticking around for another rebuild job. He's been pretty clear on that. He's had the chat you mention already and now it's end of the road.
Well they will have the Kane money, but I'm not sure that will be enough. I'm thinking Europa league places or mid table next season with a youngish squad, much like when Bale was sold.

TheReligion

Abusive
Well they will have the Kane money, but I'm not sure that will be enough. I'm thinking Europa league places or mid table next season with a youngish squad, much like when Bale was sold.
No @balaks thinks Levy will spend to keep Kane. I just can't see how as the club has struggled massively financially. Selling Kane is what's needed for the rebuild. The won't keep him and their assets AND go on a spree.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I agree, what's your point? When COVID passes we will be in a very different state, I have no idea who the next manager is BTW, and if I am honest I don't really care. We will drop a lot when Harry leaves and I will still support Spurs, if I am honest I miss the carefree Andy Sinton days.
It's a crap position right now but there is some weird excitement for Spurs fans to see how they adapt without him. Spurs haven't exactly been winning things with him nor finishing high in the PL recently. Of course that's not directly Kane's fault but maybe the rest of the team got into a rut that Kane will always save the day.

I sensed that with Gerrard at Liverpool for too many years at the end of his career. Henderson for example blossomed only once Gerrard left. Spurs have some crazily talented players who are ridiculously underperforming. Have been for years. A decent manager and the wonga from Kane's sale could see Spurs challenging (properly) for top four.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
No @balaks thinks Levy will spend to keep Kane. I just can't see how as the club has struggled massively financially. Selling Kane is what's needed for the rebuild. The won't keep him and their assets AND go on a spree.
Guess the alternative would be if they try to sell Son instead and recruit well? He was linked to Bayern but it's not like they typically pay over the odds for transfers so that might be a non-starter anyhow.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Just a thought. Perhaps Kane has a gentleman’s agreement if he stayed one more year then he would be sold for a price less than 100m

TheReligion

Abusive
Guess the alternative would be if they try to sell Son instead and recruit well? He was linked to Bayern but it's not like they typically pay over the odds for transfers so that might be a non-starter anyhow.
What's Son worth now though? Seems he wants off himself. Very realistic that all of Son, Kane and Bale will be playing elsewhere next season.

If Spurs really want to do a rebuild might not be a bad thing long term either like @Dumbstar says. The question is can they afford financially to be out of the CL for a little while whilst they get it together? The new stadium and massive debt couldn't have come at a much worse time.

TheReligion

Abusive
Just a thought. Perhaps Kane has a gentleman’s agreement if he stayed one more year then he would be sold for a price less than 100m
He's definitely got an agreement he can be let go and I imagine a fee will be attached to it. Not sure why people don't seem to get this. Literally no other reason why the player would come out and talk as he is.

He'll decide his future and not Daniel Levy. That's what The Telegraph have Kane down as saying.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
What's Son worth now though? Seems he wants off himself. Very realistic that all of Son, Kane and Bale will be playing elsewhere next season.

If Spurs really want to do a rebuild might not be a bad thing long term either like @Dumbstar says. The question is can they afford financially to be out of the CL for a little while whilst they get it together? The new stadium and massive debt couldn't have come at a much worse time.
Yeah probably nowhere near enough to fund the needed overhaul. Could be a tough one for Spurs without the Spanish clubs to drive up prices - can't see Bayern offering much more than the 50m they paid for Sane if they do bid.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

He does if Joe Lewis gives him money. I think he will because if we don't do something dramatic this summer the club will be back to mid table mediocrity for the next decade

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Will he? Spuds, for them, have actually spent a bit of money in the last couple of Summers. I cannot see them going crazy this Summer, especially without European football. That stadium of them was built based on them holding European games and numerous sporting/entertainment events. Cannot see them holding much more than their PL and NFL games next season. So, it will probably be loss making/just covering costs again next season.

He does if Joe Lewis gives him money. I think he will because if we don't do something dramatic this summer the club will be back to mid table mediocrity for the next decade
Will JL give the money? I can't see it with the debt mountain and the lack of expected income coming in from the new stadium.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Will he? Spuds, for them, have actually spent a bit of money in the last couple of Summers. I cannot see them going crazy this Summer, especially without European football. That stadium of them was built based on them holding European games and numerous sporting/entertainment events. Cannot see them holding much more than their PL and NFL games next season. So, it will probably be loss making/just covering costs again next season.

Will JL give the money? I can't see it with the debt mountain and the lack of expected income coming in from the new stadium.
I think he might yes - it's clear to everybody that the club has got so caught up in the infrastructure and stadium that the focus on the team has been lost. They need to refocus on the team otherwise having a fantastic stadium won't mean much. JL could finance us this summer to free us up to reinvest in the team which is very badly needed. COVID has been a disaster for all clubs but it has hit Spurs more than most due to the timing of the stadium but it's basically now or never for the club.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I think he might yes - it's clear to everybody that the club has got so caught up in the infrastructure and stadium that the focus on the team has been lost. They need to refocus on the team otherwise having a fantastic stadium won't mean much. JL could finance us this summer to free us up to reinvest in the team which is very badly needed. COVID has been a disaster for all clubs but it has hit Spurs more than most due to the timing of the stadium but it's basically now or never for the club.
Question is, does he have the capital to hand? It is one thing being an asset rich Billionaire and another, being a cash rich Billionaire. I was under the belief that JL was the former. Additionally, when is the Government loan due? Cannot see you lot going out paying mega money for transfers when you're on the hook to the taxpayer.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Question is, does he have the capital to hand? It is one thing being an asset rich Billionaire and another, being a cash rich Billionaire. I was under the belief that JL was the former. Additionally, when is the Government loan due? Cannot see you lot going out paying mega money for transfers when you're on the hook to the taxpayer.
It's due right now and i think Spurs have repaid it since their name appear alongside Arsenal's here. Kroenke used another loan to repay it, don't know how Spurs did or will do it.

Pep's Suit

Levy should just accept reality and then spend accordingly. They're in that group with Arsenal, Everton and Leicester, desperate for CL money but very unlikely to make Top4 in near future.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Harry Kane gracing the europa conference league next season if he's held hostage for another year.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Thanks lads. Always knew you had our backs in a crisis.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
From an unnamed tabloid:

The club debt was again highlighted yesterday by lifelong fan Lord Triesman.
He said: “Spurs have a gross debt last reported in February of £1.177bn, the biggest in Europe, a glorious new stadium and an utterly inconsistent team to play in it.
“The business is essentially now a real-estate developer.”

I really like that description :lol:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
From an unnamed tabloid:

The club debt was again highlighted yesterday by lifelong fan Lord Triesman.
He said: “Spurs have a gross debt last reported in February of £1.177bn, the biggest in Europe, a glorious new stadium and an utterly inconsistent team to play in it.
“The business is essentially now a real-estate developer.”

I really like that description :lol:
That's excellent :lol:

Ananke

Spurs fans being petty because Kane asked to leave :lol:
This is hilarious. :lol:

Realistically, what are Spurs fans thinking they need to get back into Top 4 next season? More depth in the squad, change in playstyle, bigger named players, stronger defensive unit? Like what is the missing jigsaw piece?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
This is hilarious. :lol:

Realistically, what are Spurs fans thinking they need to get back into Top 4 next season? More depth in the squad, change in playstyle, bigger named players, stronger defensive unit? Like what is the missing jigsaw piece?
We need to sell probably 4/5 players - Dier, Sissoko, Winks, Aurier and Sanchez I would think - Then we promote a couple of youngsters into the squad - Sessengnon and Skipp - Then we spend on a top class centre back and another right back bare minimum.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
We need to sell probably 4/5 players - Dier, Sissoko, Winks, Aurier and Sanchez I would think - Then we promote a couple of youngsters into the squad - Sessengnon and Skipp - Then we spend on a top class centre back and another right back bare minimum.
I hope Foyth comes back, looked a quality player in Spain.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Think Spurs sorely miss Eriksen. His delivery was great and always found a way of dicking us over. Lo Celso isn’t close to his quality at all. Ended up being a two man team.

N’Dombeles form changes more than the weather and Lamela and Moura are nowhere near consistent enough either.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I think at this point in the unfolding disaster that is Spurs they would just be happy with getting back to playing good football. And a squad rebuild, if it is done right, like when Pool lost Coutinho, can work out well. Too many plonkers in that Spurs squad that have stalled and need to be moved on, Sissoko, Lamela, Winks, Dier and/or Sanchez, Aurier. Then you have Kane leaving for trophies, Bale and Vinicius loans ending.

Amusing that Foyth, a player on loan has won more trophies than Spurs in the past 10 years. Im curious why they shipped him out on loan, seems a decent player tbf, surely could get in the team over Dier and Sanchez?

If Spurs get the rebuild right could be pushing for Europa/top 4 places, they get it wrong however and mid table mediocrity is looming.

dinostar77

Lopetegui now being mentioned what a shitshow this is.
Gone from nieglesmann as first choice, to then Poch to conte, to Lopetegui (whos deal was done but fell through for personal reasons i.e. family) and now a marriage of convenience with fonseca (whos deal is signed and done).

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Gone from nieglesmann as first choice, to then Poch to conte, to Lopetegui (whos deal was done but fell through for personal reasons i.e. family) and now a marriage of convenience with fonseca (whos deal is signed and done).
"nieglesmann" :lol:

I will use that from now on

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
Surely, the spurs situation isnt rocket science. They put all their eggs in one basket by building that stadium, just as arse did. A simple sum confirms that there is no money left to buy/pay the kind of players they need to win things. Euro super league my arrrrrse!