The transfer window closing early in England.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
There's no such thing as blocking sells "window", jesus christ the things you read.

This is not soviet russia, you cannot forbid the freedom of movement of players.

PieCrust

Hurts the smaller clubs more as they don't always have the ability to hold onto players that want to push a move or get poached from clubs outside of England.

As far as United go, I don't think it affects us much as we seem to always wait until the very end to do anything regardless of when that end date actually is.

Tiber

I think its good that squads are set before the first game

Classical Mechanic

It's obviously a much better idea because business is now closed and the teams can focus on playing actual football. Foreign clubs only have the power to take players from English clubs after the domestic window shuts in very very rare cases so I don't see the issue, look at Bayern's pursuit of Sane, for example. Bayern were completely powerless in that deal despite the player wanting to join.

Is there any actual evidence of adverse effects of this policy?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I don't mind it being closed before the season's start but it should stop in terms of selling too.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
The whole transfer system including the early close of the window in England is a mess.

I prefered the pre 2002 system where there weren't any windows at all. The short time in the windows just drives the price of players up, leads to some silly deals on deadline day, and mainly benefits agents.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I understand the idea behind it as it allows PL to have their squads ready for the first league game but not having the same window across Europe at least, makes no sense to me. It drives up the price of players the closer we get to the window whereas the other European teams will have longer time to work some deals for interesting players in other leagues. What are your thoughts ?
It's a dumb idea... it would make some sort of sense if there wasn't a January transfer window, but as there is, it doesn't make any sense.

Viral United

Clubs wanted to begin the season with more certainty over their squad & retain the integrity of the competition between each other.

Richard Scudamore said “When the 20 are playing each other [it was wrong] you could have a person in your team one week and be playing against him the next, or worse the player not playing because of speculation about him going to another Premier League team so he’s not available for a week or two of the season while the window is open.

Uefa president, Aleksander Ceferin is in favour - I think the hope is that more leagues will eventually follow suit.
If that's the case then we should also stop winter transfer window.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It really doesn't.
Of course it does

Realistically the clubs most likely to be interested in a player from Palace for example will be another PL club (see Zaha as evidence for this) so once the seasons starts/the window closes that's it someone like Zaha is unlikely to garner any further interest whereas on the other hand the sides that are going to be sniffing around players from the likes of ourselves and the other top 6 are going to be the big European clubs (see Real Madrid with Pogba, Inter with Lukaku and then historically Barca with players from Liverpool and Arsenal) so it's those sides that are left the most vulnerable by this ruling because we have 3 more weeks of speculation around our players and if they were to be sold cant now be replaced

fps

They should play the first game, then be able to bid for a player from the opposition side based on how that game went, and be allowed to get that deal over the line by midnight of the same day. Then the window shuts.

*Rereads*

Yes, that seems sensible.

Dan_F

It’s a tough one. You can’t close it all at the same time, because all leagues start at different times. Some smaller clubs would actually prefer it to be open later, for example if they don’t make it through Euro qualifiers then they need to sell to stay profitable. It’s a small percentage of clubs compared to the whole of Europe though.

The FA should just set the date for their own leagues, with the latest being end of August. However, once it’s closed you can’t buy or sell from that league.

Superunknown

The initial idea of having transfer windows close before the start of the first league game makes sense. It does seem a bit unfair if your players are being linked with moves away whilst you're trying to play your first couple of league games. So, I agree with the principle of closing the window before the start of the season.

But, it really should be European wide. There should be some sort of synchronicity across the continent. At the very least, if English clubs can't buy players from abroad after the close of the window, they shouldn't be allowed to sell either. It's unfair that we, for example, could still lose Pogba to Real Madrid and we would have zero opportunity to sign a replacement. That's incredibly unfair and puts UK clubs at a significant disadvantage. Or maybe the English clubs need to make some sort of pact that they won't sell their players to European clubs after the close of the English window to stop this kind of thing from happening. There needs to be something in place.

A bit of topic, but I saw it mooted some time ago about managers only being able to change club during the transfer window. I actually don't think that's too bad an idea. It would stop the nonsense that we see where managers lose their jobs in October or November, for example.

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
https://www.skysports.com/football/...ubs-transfer-window-deadline-talks-next-month

To be discussed by clubs next month, although no vote until at least November.

Incidentally does anyone know what exactly fourteen is the preferred number of clubs for in the below section?:
"In 2017, fourteen clubs were required to agree to changes and one source has told Sky Sports News that might be the preferred number of clubs"

SirAF

Ageist
This was always a bad idea as long as the other leagues still have their windows open.

AFC NimbleThumb

Quite simply the stupidest thing the league ever brought to a vote.

You hamstring yourselves in some moralistic effort but so many other aspects of the game are in much more need of review.

This seriously needs to change for next season, other leagues won’t be changing & it actually backfired on clubs like Spurs who voted for it but can’t start Eriksen against Newcastle cause his head isn’t in the game but if he goes they can’t replace him etc.

Ideally window closes & leagues start but that isn’t happening so everyone should play to the same rules.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Telegraph:

Premier League clubs are almost certain to vote this autumn in favour of realigning next summer’s transfer window with Europe.

At least three clubs who originally called for the window to close early two seasons ago are now demanding a rethink. England’s top tier will discuss the issue at the next meeting of club executives on Sept 12, but a vote on arrangements for next summer may be postponed until November.

The 2019 summer window closed at 5pm on Aug 8, 2½ weeks before other major European leagues on Monday.

In 2017, 14 clubs were in favour of bringing forward deadline day to one day before the start of the season. Manchester City, Manchester United, Crystal Palace, Watford and Swansea then voted against it, while Burnley abstained.

However, the numbers in favour of the current window fell last season, and are now estimated to be nine in favour, 11 against.

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has been the most critical of the window, as it has reduced the club’s bargaining power in commanding fees for players such as Christian Eriksen, who appears to have his heart set on leaving the Premier League for La Liga.

“I think he [Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy] and a lot of people now realise it was a massive mistake,” Pochettino said. “I hope that we fix the problem for the next season. We need to go back and operate in the same way that they operate in Europe because I think it’s massive when you go to compete in the Europa League or Champions League.

“Champions League teams can create a problem for a team like us and it’s so clear that I cannot be happy as a coach that in the last three weeks clubs from Europe can unsettle your team.”

Leicester City also appear set to come out in favour of extending the deadline. Brendan Rodgers said last week: “The problem is that if you ask yourself ‘are we at a disadvantage?’ then we are, of course. The window shuts at the beginning of the season and then you could still lose your top player to European football after that.

“So, I think Mauricio is absolutely right, I think it puts Premier League clubs at a disadvantage, but I still think it’s a good idea to shut it, but it would have to be aligned across Europe.”

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Transfer window in England should be open for a much longer time. No summer and winter window - return to the olden days, open from June to January.
No thanks. The likes of Pogba will keep chirping in the media and unsettle the team

Tel074

This is the most idiotic idea ever . Yes if every window in Europe closes at that time then great but to leave yourself open to the situation that seemed to be brewing at Spurs with Eriksen is just dumb

DoubleRevv

just goes to show how moronic this decision was. some small minded managers said theyd like to see it happen and it did but the net effect has been to handicap premier league teams.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
If they want to keep using a system like this, transfers between English clubs should be closed when the season starts. But we should be able to buy players from foreign competitions.

The rule now handicaps English teams imo because we can still lose players to teams outside of the EPL without being able to reinforce ourselves.
Completely agree. Transfer business should only stop between EPL clubs once the season starts. But they should still be able to do any business they want with clubs outside of the EPL...

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Bit mind boggling.

Like public opinion was this is a stupid idea. It was clear as daylight it was a stupid idea. If everyone else knows it's a stupid idea, how is it the actual football clubs didn't? Bizarre.

AlwaysRed66

The only manager who has talked any sense in this whole debacle is Pep Guardiola. He has stated that the English are right closing the transfer window before the league season starts, & the rest of the leagues are wrong. He mentioned how ridiculous it is that players can play a few games early on for one club then move to another before the transfer system closes. His argument is that all the major leagues should talk to start at the same time, & close the transfer window before the season starts. It is the rest of managers who talk rubbish, like that stupid Klopp.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Scrap the transfer window entirely, it creates a fake market, encourages panic and raised prices in the dying days of the window and can cause massive unrest. Far better when the window was open all year round apart from end of March to end of the season. Clubs tended not to be caught short if they lost a player as they could always replace and it took the whole hysteria out of the summer months. Also fun because you never know who might turn up like Cantona in the middle of November!

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
Scrap the transfer window entirely, it creates a fake market, encourages panic and raised prices in the dying days of the window and can cause massive unrest. Far better when the window was open all year round apart from end of March to end of the season. Clubs tended not to be caught short if they lost a player as they could always replace and it took the whole hysteria out of the summer months. Also fun because you never know who might turn up like Cantona in the middle of November!
I'm too young to remember that but didn't it create lots of gamesmanship with clubs unsettling rival players mid-season?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I'm too young to remember that but didn't it create lots of gamesmanship with clubs unsettling rival players mid-season?
Not that I can remember, wasn't an issue.

Having no windows worked much better. They changed it because the transfer system is "illegal" under EU law. When they did a deal to sort it out with FIFA, they agreed transfer windows as part of it. Not entirely sure what the logic was. All it's done is drive prices up benefiting agents and making sure fans then end up paying more too.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
They changed it because the transfer system is "illegal" under EU law. When they did a deal to sort it out with FIFA, they agreed transfer windows as part of it. Not entirely sure what the logic was. All it's done is drive prices up benefiting agents and making sure fans then end up paying more too.
It was a compromise reached with the European Commission who initially wanted players and clubs to be able to honour contracts like any other employee ie hand in your notice and move whenever you fancy it, but that doesn't work so well when transfer fees are involved. So they agreed to give the clubs stability and players an element of freedom to the transfer window, it came a few years after the Bosman ruling had threatened to turn transfers on their heads, ie at the end of a contract a player could leave for free. That's how Steve Mcmanaman became the best paid English player ever when he became the first player from the premiership to move under the Bosman ruling.

The only positives I can see from Brexit are proper English bent bananas and the ability to get rid if the transfer window entirely!

haram

The only manager who has talked any sense in this whole debacle is Pep Guardiola. He has stated that the English are right closing the transfer window before the league season starts, & the rest of the leagues are wrong. He mentioned how ridiculous it is that players can play a few games early on for one club then move to another before the transfer system closes. His argument is that all the major leagues should talk to start at the same time, & close the transfer window before the season starts. It is the rest of managers who talk rubbish, like that stupid Klopp.
Pep is right. What did Klopp say?

Eric's Seagull

Think it is pathetic that it changes in different countries. I thunk it should finish the same time everywhere. I think that it should all finish before the season starts as the way in Europe it gives teams more time to buy players if they think the ones they bought over the summer are not working out well.

brian017

Pep is right. What did Klopp say?
I don't know what that poster was ranting about cause Klopp actually agrees with Pep. He said he doesn't care when it close but it should be at the same time as everyone else

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
Not that I can remember, wasn't an issue.
I'd bet you my bottom dollar that in today's moneyed football world it would be an issue now. Even with the transfer window system we see endless speculation regarding the best player of Real Madrid and Barcelona's opponents in the run up to their Champions League matches, only for it to mysteriously evaporate the morning after the match (see Barcelona's "pursuit" of Rashford last season). Imagine how much sharper those weapons of big clubs would be in unsettling opposing players if you added in the possibility of that player moving before the match was even played?

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
Bizarre the deadline shifted in the first place, it seemed like every onlooker knew what the outcome would be and yet the best and brightest corporate suits of the Premier League clubs went ahead and did it anyway.

Perhaps the most surreal moment to think back to was the Sky Sports "The Debate" show held in the aftermath of the vote, where Karren Brady was defending the decision against Craig Bellamy, hindsight showing that Craig was the one spot on in his analysis of the forthcoming competitive disadvantage for Premier League clubs.

How did Craig Bellamy come to have better judgement than Karren Brady on matters of high stakes financial negotiation?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Bizarre the deadline shifted in the first place, it seemed like every onlooker knew what the outcome would be and yet the best and brightest corporate suits of the Premier League clubs went ahead and did it anyway.

Perhaps the most surreal moment to think back to was the Sky Sports "The Debate" show held in the aftermath of the vote, where Karren Brady was defending the decision against Craig Bellamy, hindsight showing that Craig was the one spot on in his analysis of the forthcoming competitive disadvantage for Premier League clubs.

How did Craig Bellamy come to have better judgement than Karren Brady on matters of high stakes financial negotiation?
How has their been a disadvantage? All I've seen is PL clubs shifting their deadwood abroad. I agree it should be the same across Europe but still, the outcome hasn't been that bad at all. It also was never a bizarre decision in the first place, the old window was ridiculous and it made total sense to change it. Clubs were starting their season and planning the future with players playing for them, only for them to get snatched by other English clubs at the last second.

Now there is a clear line between silly season and the actual football season which I find a breath of fresh air. Fair enough if we had Pogba on strike wanting to go to Real or something but that just hasn't been the reality.

Ace Krampus

Who cares if Pep is right in some abstract deontological sense? The reality is what it is, the "should-be-thus" is irrelevant. Also, why is that ridiculous? Sometimes you see a guy in a real-game setting and realize some other guy is surplus, or some other late period acquisition that you weren't sure of affects strategy going forward, what's the harm exactly?