The treatment on here of Marcus Rashford

simplyared

Here are some of the comments in the Player Performanc thread after last nights game:
"Absolutely horrific performance"
"Great goal but he was shit tonight"
"His allround game needs polishing if we want to win leagues and champions leagues"

How much longer do we have to put up with these "shitty" comments aimed at a player who gives so much to our football club both on and off the field.
Marcus Rashford is what our club is all about. His performances on the field are unequalled by anyone else in the current squad. He gives 100% in every game. He's probably playing at present through injury.
He's far and away our most dangerous player going forward. He's still only 23 yrs and has carried the club for a good part of his career since he made his debut for the 1st team.

Ffs the lad's already a legend! Law Best Charlton Rashford!

Get a grip!

Acquire Me

It’s bullshit. One of my favourite players. Great player and a very nice human being.

It’s the new generation fans in my opinion or the time we live in. They just can’t grasp what it means to support the team, the players and the manager.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Criticizing Rashford during the game is a favorite reactionary mode of contribution on the Caf.

And then he very often scores

And then he gets the traditional "He scores, but he's playing shit" followups.

I've seen Haaland be completely anonymus in games in Germany, before netting his traditional 1 or 2 goals during a few minutes and the newspapers hail him as the next Lionel Gretzky, despite performances being largely similar at times.

AgentSmith

‘His allround game needs polishing if we want to win leagues and champions leagues’ - That seems like quite a reasonable viewpoint and is an odd one to throw in with the others.

Agree with the overriding sentiment though. Rashford has clearly been carrying an underlying injury for a while now and it’s obviously affected his all-round play. He’s still consistently produced match-winning moments for us though and that’s got to be kept in mind when making judgments about his long-term place in the team. Rashford’s been playing poorly in a team that’s playing poorly and he’s still winning games for us. Imagine what he’d look like playing well in a team that was also playing well?

Once he’s able to get a proper rest/treatment (difficult to see when this will be tbh) he’ll be back to his physical best which should then see more balanced technical displays. His first touch and decision making can be poor but it’s been massively exacerbated in the last few months for me by whatever this pervasive injury is.

He’s also an absolute gem of a human being who’s come through the youth system and is from the local area. It’s a wonderful privilege to have him as a player who’s still yet to enter his prime at the club.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
A lot doesnt come off and I think he loses the ball more than Greenwood. But he's by far our most threatening attacker especially when we are struggling to break through compact defenses I'd say. With our current style of play, there's no point to just keep more possession when nothing is happening. One day, we might get to the point where we need better, but that day seems to be very very far and in that time he has plenty time to develop his game more. After Shaw, Maguire, Bruno he is literally the least of our problems.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Here are some of the comments in the Player Performanc thread after last nights game:
"His allround game needs polishing if we want to win leagues and champions leagues"

How much longer do we have to put up with these "shitty" comments aimed at a player who gives so much to our football club both on and off the field.
Marcus Rashford is what our club is all about. His performances on the field are unequalled by anyone else in the current squad. He gives 100% in every game. He's probably playing at present through injury.
He's far and away our most dangerous player going forward. He's still only 23 yrs and has carried the club for a good part of his career since he made his debut for the 1st team.

Get a grip!
:lol:

K Stand Knut

Get a grip!
There it is again!! ‘Legend’!!!

Whilst I appreciate the sentiment of this thread, people really need to stop going to either end of spectrum with players.

There is middle ground between legend and complete shite.

Personally, I don’t rate Rashford as highly as some do, and maybe not as highly as I should. He’s very good but nothing more, IMO.

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt this season with injury/fatigue and tactics but to describe him as a legend is absolutely ridiculous.

acnumber9

I don’t know what player it is his that plays in his position that people believe we should sign to improve on him. Those complaining about his performances obviously aren’t watching the performances of players like Sterling or Mane very often.

Drainy

Completely taken for granted by half of the fan base. We'd miss him if he gets the rest he needs and deserves.

The people saying James would be better on the left at the moment are deluded by James scoring a couple of goals recently- he could only dream of pulling off some of Rashford's creative passing.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think as long as criticism is constructive then I don’t see a problem. No matter how much you like him he’s not the perfect player and like most players there are areas he could definitely improve.
I shouted at the tv once or twice yesterday and it feels like I do that a lot when Rashford just repeatedly runs into trouble with teammates in better positions nearby. He doesn’t seem to be adapting or mixing up that side of his game at all. He’s still our best attacker by some distance though.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
When player plays badly he deserves to be criticized. When he plays well, he deserves to be praised. No matter who the player is.

Fans are getting too protective on players these day and acting like snowflakes. Players job is to play football and like people on any other job they should be criticized and praised. If Rashford, Jones or Bruno play badly, why not to say it?

Of course, abuse and insults are out of question in any circumstances or "booing" a player because he is out of form and is not playing well. You never insult, abuse or "booo" a player. But pointing out that player did not do this or that well (or other way around) is a part of football.

automaticflare

Still think he has magic, but not consistency.

iMO he has dropped off his work rate which is more annoying to me than him losing the ball or not scoring 27 goals a game

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
A lot of people just calling his performances as they see it. I absolutely love Marcus Rashford but I can't help wanting to pull my hair out when watching him this season. There's been so many games where it feels he can literally do no right. What's wrong with saying he played shit on an Internet forum.

Having said all that it does no harm to remind ourselves that he is still young and he's been playing through injury a lot.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
‘His allround game needs polishing if we want to win leagues and champions leagues’ - That seems like quite a reasonable viewpoint and is an odd one to throw in with the others.
My thoughts too, and very much to be expected of a player in his early 20s, for the most part.

Very good player, still has lots of areas to improve.

Zen86

Those comments are criticising his performance, I don’t really see what the problem is. There’s nothing particularly insulting there.

GazTheLegend

He has absolutely carried us at times and has battered (in no particular order) Liverpool, PSG, Manchester City and Chelsea. If people don't think he's class they have issues. Maybe if our attack wasn't so unbalanced his stats would be stratospheric but he's clearly good enough and has another level to reach yet.

Djemba-Djemba

He definitely gets way too much stick on here.

For example people kept trying to pair him and Martial together this season, as if they were both equally as bad which was incredibly insulting and unfair to Rashford.

tomaldinho1

Massive potential but I can't see much that's changed in his game over the last few seasons, if I'm honest. If this is his finished article, he's still a dangerous attacker and has great work ethic but I think there's a growing frustration that he could be a lot more.

Issue on the caf is I don't think people realise how much hard graft it is for attackers in our system - they get very few clear cut chances and it's no coincidence they're all struggling relative to other teams. Rashford (10), Cavani (6), Martial (4), Greenwood (2) is indicative of a forward line that really struggles to get into games. That's including the goal fests at Southampton & Leeds as well which mask the bigger issue somewhat.

siw2007

Wouldn't go as far as to say he is already a legend but definitely a very good player, potentially more so once he gets over the injuries. He has struggled physically for a good while now which is why I think the work rate and performance level aren't as high as they can be. Though there is nothing wrong in saying that he has played badly or needs to do more, he is not an 'average' player, he is blatantly good enough, you don't score 22 goals there 19 goals (so far) for United if you are not good enough, these are the kind of comments which are clearly OTT. United aren't the most functional team I've seen and there's a lot of the responsibility falls on individuals and less the team as a whole, I think Rashford as a young man is a victim to this.

Tbf I didn't think he was poor yesterday, I thought it was an ok performance, looked threatening throughout.

R77

The only real problem with him is his propensity to sometimes dribble into a gaggle of defenders, which 9 times out of 10 results in nothing other than making it look like he just ran into someone. I can understand why some may feel frustrated when he does that, but in general it's not just Rashford. All the players and basically anything to do with the club other than the reptile office dwellers get far too much abuse.

Devil may care

He's a good player with potential to grow as his finishing and decision making is still erratic.

Last edited:

vodrake

Despite carrying a well publicised injury through most of the season, he's going to finish with 20+ goals and 10+ assists playing from a wide position, without taking penalties. And he's been scoring important goals against tough opposition, not like he's stat padding in easy games

I've never seen a player who some fans are just so determined to hate no matter what

CG1010

He has average rating of something like 5.5 here which is crazy given that this has been a fairly good season by him. Criminally underrated by many. He and Bruno are easily the most exciting players we have!

Deery

Dreary
It’s not just on here I read he’s the most trolled player in the world on social media which is depressing to hear when he does so much for the club on and off the field.

The match day thread was pretty embarrassing yesterday with the “Rashford is shite” comments.

He can be a bit frustrating and run down blind alleys sometimes but he’s still our best attacker and only young still, the criticism is over the top.

simplyared

Its not as if he's a mile off when he tries to take on a group of defenders in the final 3rd. He does it when he believes it's our best option. He makes his decision and thats how it works. A certain George Best was the same.

Jezpeza

I like him, I think he's a really really good player. Hes playing injured at the moment, not hiding injured like others do. Some want to make out he is pub level, others he is a club legend. Hes not quite legendary(yet), but maybe in future. But certainly a very good player.

the problem with this forum is becoming a lack of rational debate and polarised baseless opinions.

for example, fans coming on here making points like ‘rashford is a pub player and anyone who disagrees is a c**t’ without any rationalisation are basically kneejerkers out to antagonise people and are missing the point of posting opinions and discussing them on forums.

saying he is a club legend is maybe a bit of overfondness but not as toxic.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Its not as if he's a mile off when he tries to take on a group of defenders in the final 3rd. He does it when he believes it's our best option. He makes his decision and thats how it works. A certain George Best was the same.
You’ve got to be just trolling now.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I like him, I think he's a really really good player. Hes playing injured at the moment, not hiding injured like others do. Some want to make out he is pub level, others he is a club legend. Hes not quite legendary(yet), but maybe in future. But certainly a very good player.

the problem with this forum is becoming a lack of rational debate and polarised baseless opinions.

for example, fans coming on here making points like ‘rashford is a pub player and anyone who disagrees is a c**t’ without any rationalisation are basically kneejerkers out to antagonise people and are missing the point of posting opinions and discussing them on forums.

saying he is a club legend is maybe a bit of overfondness but not as toxic.
But both are equally as kneejerk.

Acole9

Outstanding
Doesn't just go for Rashford this, it goes for almost every player in the squad. One minute they're brilliant on here and the next they're crap.

passing-wind

What doesn't make sense is Rashfords perception but then Maguire's often unwarranted praise with comments such as being the best in the league. Both have had average seasons but they are effective for the team.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
that was my point but overating him isnt toxic is it?
The way you described both does show that some criticisms are toxic. Your descriptions of both are a little unbalanced.

But the delusion is equal in the Pollyanna-ish assessment of Rashford as being a ‘legend,’ ‘world class,’ etc.

The kid is very good, sometimes great, world class very rarely. Both sides of the coin in here can go delusionally overboard with their reactions.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's weird, you'll see people want him replaced which is even more baffling. Rashford is the face of United, a kid who came through out of nowhere and took his chance incredibly and never looked back. A kid who off the pitch is an inspiration to any professional athlete with his activism. Rashford is our starting left winger for as long as he is fit and until he declines, so likely for the next 7-8 years.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Doesn't just go for Rashford this, it goes for almost every player in the squad. One minute they're brilliant on here and the next they're crap.
Yep. Bruno gets slated loads for giving the ball away, Fred is either the lynchpin of the midfield or a pub player, Martial world class or a waste of space.

Rashford is a very good player, but his finishing is erratic. If he improves that and his all round decision-making he'll be truly world class.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
It is not even remotely true that we wouldn’t win big trophies with him. We wouldn’t win them because we don’t have more players like him.
We mostly look predictable without him, opposition doesn’t fear us much without him.
People can believe whatever they want: he is carrying injuries, he is out of form, his overall performances have been below average, he is too selfish, too arrogant, he needs competition or a combination of some of those points. Despite all this he is our most dangerous forward and after Bruno our most important player. If an out of form or whatever Rashford has contributed that heavily to our season so far ahead of all our other forwards, I will take this every day.
Maybe I am blind and can’t see that he is keeping Mbappe on the bench. Even if we actually had Mbappe he would be extremely grateful to share the attacking burden with someone like Rashford instead of being the only reliable contributor.
Ideally Rashford would have had more rest with someone like Sancho (who actually himself has been out of form and injured a lot this season, I am already dreading the criticism the kid will get after a while if we buy him) in the team, but we have what we have currently.
Bruno, Rashford, Maguire, Shaw and to a lesser extent Pogba (as Pogba was out, injured, out of form, injured again, etc. a lot - his awful performances in the Spurs and Arsenal games anyone? - so he could impact much less games positively), without these 4-5 players we would be well and truly out of reach for any European place and only one of those is a unique/dangerous forward who is getting undervalued all the time by his own fans.
Can he improve? Of course a 23 year old can improve shock horror, however his contributions over the years in one of the toughest leagues in the world speak for themselves and we are extremely lucky to have him.

Andy_Cole

I think the treatment is largely frustration. Not on here but I do vent about him a lot. It’s because I see his quality. He does the easy things wrong so much too, like scoring a sitter, staying on side, releasing the ball rather than trying to take on several men.